PDA

View Full Version : I hate this weather.....

FLeckenAwesome
Jan. 17, 2011, 05:11 PM
Okay... I just have to vent for a moment.....

We've had snow in Georgia...a lot of snow for us. And then.. it started to melt on top but froze again, so then we had ice for 4 days. We even shut down the animal emergency clinic where I work for 3 days! And I know... the people up north think we're wimpy because it wasn't that much snow at all, but... you know ;) We're wimps! But it's the ice really.

So anyways... snow started on Sunday and Friday was the first day I felt it was safe to ride. I have my horses at home which was nice in a way, but there was no way I could ride without risking Fleckers slipping on the ice, so.. no riding from Sunday to Friday.

Friday it had melted enough in my front pasture to do some 20 meter circle work, so.. we did. YAY!! Then Saturday I was finally able to get the truck out (was Wed before we could get the car out) so I hauled to the horse park and rode. The footing was perfect and we had a blast. Well then on my way home... it dawned on me that the pastures where I park the trailer and turn around are mush! That slick sticky wet mud because the water from the snow can't go into the ground mud... Yeah... So.. rather than risk getting stuck in the pasture and sliding into trees... i thought I'd park in the front yard. I do it often enough and the grass is good there so I thought it would be safer. Nope... I got stuck before I could even turn around. But okay.. unload and I'll deal with it later. Well, Sun I had a lesson and a friend picked me up. I had her stop on the road and not even come down the driveway so it worked fine. Well then today.... CRAPPIEST OF ALL DAYS!!! :( :( was another lesson day. It was a make up lesson for my dressage lesson I missed because of the snow/ice.

So I worked all night, came home, took an hour and a half nap, and then got up to see if I could get the trailer out. Most of the snow is gone.. it's not THAT wet... but apparently wet enough... So I can't go up the little hill to get turned around. Fine... I'll just back down back onto the driveway and go up the driveway and try turning around in the back pasture.... So.. imagine this.. my driveway is long and flanked on both sides by my pasture fence. It's gravel... and has a steep hill on the top that is hard to get out of normally. At the curve, the one fence cuts away and there is my front yard as the driveway continues up to dead end into the garage and pasture. So... I'm trying to back onto the driveway, basically doing a 90 degree turn... and also avoid the telephone pole. I'm doing okay.. but manage to get in the muddiest part (of course...) and get stuck. Crap... So now I can't go forward OR backwards.....

And it gets worse.... the trailer is on the driveway.... but the truck is in the mud. Now the trailer is blocking the driveway.... so not only can I not get the rig out.. but now I can't get the car out! Luckily the husband has the other car but it's a stick, which I can't drive... so he can at least get home, but not to the garage. So... fine, crap! Now what??? So I go and get some chain link fence to put under the tire for grippage and....it basically just sinks into the mud. Crap.... so now I'm really stuck and slipping and the trailer is starting to get jack knifed.. meanwhile I'm getting closer to the fence.. and still stuck.

So fine... I call uncle and go up to the house thinking I'll find help. Can't call the hubby cause he works in the jail, so I call my wonderful fantastic Farrier. Thinking... he's got a big truck, maybe he can pull us out. It's only about 4 feet. Awesome.. he's on his way! Then someone on FB suggested that I unhitch and see if I can move the truck to a less muddied spot and rehitch to back up. Great idea...

Yeah.. it gets worse...

I walk back out to the truck and the damn thing is locked!!! WHAT?!?! I NEVER EVER lock my truck... ever! I left the stupid keys in the ignition and apparently smart ol' truck decided to lock itself... So dang it.. And of course my spare keys are nowhere to be found... and I am pretty sure I've left them in my purse... which is in my truck. Dang it dang it dang it...

So I call the farrier back, who laughs at/with me... and tell him not to bother.

So.. then I call the jail. They send Sheriff's out to unlock your car :) Yay!!

And it gets worse...

While I'm waiting for them to arrive..... it starts raining. Steady consistent drizzle... Perfect..... just perfect...

So they arrive, tease me about my fantastic driving skills, and successfully unlock the truck. Yay! So then I try to unhitch and move. Nope... the rain has made things worse, so now I'm still stuck...

So... now I'm calling tow places asking "hey.. could you haul a trailer attached to a truck out from the back end and you'll have to back down a long twisty driveway with fencing on either side and can only access the back of the trailer because it's half in the driveway... please?!" .

So far.. no ones been able to do it.

And.. it gets worse..

I'm almost out of hay... there is rain for the next two days...and more snow on Friday.!!

I'm just really sitting here trying not to cry. I just..... want....to.....ride... my horse!!!! We're making our prelim debut in a few weeks... and he's had pretty much the whole month of December and most of January off thanks to the weather and the holidays....

GAH!!!!!!!

So thanks... carry on..... and maybe some nice person with a tractor down the street will come rescue us.. or some nice tow truck will be able to get me out, despite charging me a couple hundred bucks, which I don't have, because i have to pay $300 for 100 gallons of propane...

Sorry... I'm just.....soooooooooo beyond frustrated!

sarah88
Jan. 17, 2011, 05:20 PM
I sympathize. I am in Virginia and we have had our fair share of crappy weather during the winter. Our first truck(the only one we could afford and it came with a free trailer) was 2wd. WHO makes a truck that is not 4 wheel...well needless to say we didn't get out much in the winter..even now, (with 4wd truck!) when the fields are to wet we just do lots of walking on the driveway...

Noctis
Jan. 17, 2011, 05:39 PM
*hugs* That just sucks Holly! Good luck!

retreadeventer
Jan. 17, 2011, 05:52 PM
Welcome to winter! Great story. Now you get to have lots of fun and spend lots of money getting unstuck! No tractor?

bornfreenowexpensive
Jan. 17, 2011, 05:54 PM
bummer big time.....I suggest if you are stressed...delay your move up to Prelim. Honestly...I'm SURE you would be fine, but if it is adding to your stress and if you don't think you have had or will have a good prep...just push it off. We do this sport for fun. If you move up a few weeks later, it will NOT be the end of the world.

Hope you get your truck and trailer out of the mud....sounds like you need some stone dust and wood blocks. Ugh.

I'm tired of the cold...and having trouble motivating myself to ride when it is 10 degrees and dark in the morning---even footing in the indoor is frozen and one of my horses has sore feet from the hard footing. I've just accepted that we will not be doing enough to start competing until later in the season. No biggie.

retreadeventer
Jan. 17, 2011, 05:58 PM
Not much warmer later in the day, Bornfree....not much over 30 for the past couple of weeks it seems! I do not have warm enough clothes for hunting. I was cold for hours after I got home last night. Need to go shopping for insulated boots, warmer jacket, etc.

pegasusmom
Jan. 17, 2011, 06:00 PM
Not much warmer later in the day, Bornfree....not much over 30 for the past couple of weeks it seems! I do not have warm enough clothes for hunting. I was cold for hours after I got home last night. Need to go shopping for insulated boots, warmer jacket, etc.

One word. . . Carhartts! Love mine and they saved me last weekend doing a combined test in 30 degree weather.

retreadeventer
Jan. 17, 2011, 06:04 PM
Dana I can't ride in those at a gallop!

ThirdCharm
Jan. 17, 2011, 06:28 PM
One time I got my dually and 4horse trailer stuck on grass next to a driveway and got pulled out backwards (chain around trailer axle) by a Dodge Dakota (which was on the driveway so had traction). Embarrassing.

Jennifer

Carried Away
Jan. 17, 2011, 06:28 PM
ugh that really stinks!! Snow has been steadily coming down here all day today.

I agree with BFNE-push your prelim move up back a bit-you want to feel prepared and ready to tackle those courses and it doesn't sound like you will have much time to get ready!

good luck!

Hilary
Jan. 17, 2011, 06:36 PM
You can complain all you want as long as you listen to us up north whine when it's 95 and we say it's too hot.

Deal? :) That IS quite the tale though. In about 3 years it will be hysterically funny.

We had a high of 9 today (at 3pm with sunshine). I did not ride. I went snowshoeing to burn off the brownies I made to eat while reading my novel.

Jumpthemoon16
Jan. 17, 2011, 06:37 PM
Dang... I'm in CA and its literally 70 degrees right now o.O

AppJumpr08
Jan. 17, 2011, 06:53 PM
Oh! Poor you :no: Mud SUCKS.

If it makes you feel any better... my husband was trying to get our Peterbilt with attached 24' flatbed trailer out of a snow drift (by himself while I was in the barn) with the tractor the other day - left the Pete in neutral and proceeded to pull it backwards up the hill it was stuck on. Got to the crest of the hill, backed the tractor up to put slack in the chain so he could unhook the truck, and it... UNHOOKED ITSELF AND ROLLED DOWN THE HILL INTO MY HORSE TRAILER. Yeah. So now the Pete is missing a fender, headlight, and mirror, and my trailer has two big dents in the nose, a crushed fender, and a popped tire... and I'm praying the axel isn't bent. But my trailer guy can't get it up on his lift until next week so I won't know for sure until then. And I was supposed to ship a horse to NY this week.

:sigh:

So... at least your rig isn't dented. For a really stupid reason. ;) :lol: :sigh: :no:

FLeckenAwesome
Jan. 17, 2011, 07:22 PM
Wow... that sucks!! I hope your trailer isn't broken...

and yeah.. so far mines' fared okay, but I'm worried about getting it towed and the ramp just ripping off or something.

Sigh... towing guy never called back.... I'm wondering if now that it's colder.. the mud will have frozen and I can get traction! Hey.. it can't get any worse can it??

And nope... no tractor.... just a lawn mower ;) But you know... since the driveway does have grip, I'm thinking a regular truck just might be able to tow me out. I really only need to go about four feet. Part of why it's soooo frustrating...

And we'll see about the move up. I'm supposed to school this weekend.. if it doesn't snow again. Fleck's been going awesome until Dec... then he just got some time off, so... we'll see. I think I'm more just frustrated with this than anything else... but that is a good point.

Thanks guys.... And I know it will be funny AFTER I get the stuff out, but right now... I just want to punch Mother Nature in the face.......

(sorta not... I would like for it to improve and a broken face may not help....)

bornfreenowexpensive
Jan. 17, 2011, 07:35 PM
Just laugh at it anyway..that helps me at least!

Honestly, just letting yourself be flexible as far as your competition goals should make you feel less stressed. If things are going well..you go...if not and if the weather holds you back a bit...not a big deal, just look at plan B, C, D and E.....and be happy that you have a nice sound horse;)

Oh...and feel free to VENT here, and allow yourself to eat some good chocolate or have a good adult drink or both:cool:

FLeckenAwesome
Jan. 17, 2011, 07:51 PM
Thanks guys :)

It does help... of course this pounding headache isn't helping.... I hate to drink on top of migraine meds, but.... chocolate never hurt anyone!!! I'm just devastated that I can't get out of the driveway to go get a peppermint shake! ;)

It did help going to hug my ponies and listen to them slobber up their dinner!

gallopinggram
Jan. 17, 2011, 08:09 PM
Wow, some of you have had it very rough this winter! Here it has been very cold, but not much in the way of snow, a few inches here and there (South central PA).

Back in '96 (or was it '97?) we had a stretch of weather that provided us with a 5 foot high ice bank against the doors of our bank barn. Unfortunately, we store hay for other horsey neighbors, who had more than a little extra work to get their hay. We tried hot water and ice picks for awhile, but finally just decided to have a little wager on when the thing would melt (with no help from us). I don't remember who won, but I do know that it wasn't gone until the first week of April! It formed in early January of that year. There was ice everywhere, solid, like a foot deep in the arena, and we just gave up riding for several months, after the nearby indoor was frozen solid as well. I remember trailering my daughter and her TB to another indoor to school and getting stuck in the driveway. I think that's when we threw in the towel and quit riding for awhile!

Anyway, eat that chocolate and don't put too much pressure on yourself! My pony is now shedding, so Spring can't be too far away!

kinnip
Jan. 17, 2011, 08:16 PM
Dying for a ride myself. The ground is a mess, and I've been trying to not destroy the arenas...more than I already have anyway. I thought I'd try yesterday, but managed to eat something that had me hovering around the bathroom all day. Today I put on my breeches and boots only to be met with an SO saying we needed to go to ATL to install a shower door. So I had to work to pay for horses instead of riding the horses. Time being what they are, I shouldn't complain, but it still chaffed a little.
Flecken: that ain't awesome at all! Were I closer, I'd bring a tractor and sort you out. Hopefully, some kind farmer will get jiggy with it.

RunForIt
Jan. 17, 2011, 08:17 PM
...he's going to Mike's either tomorrow or Wednesday depending on the rain. No problem to bring yours to you or at least enough to tide you over for a couple of days. Y'all can bring it down the driveway with a wheelbarrow (my favorite tool). I'll email later and we'll set up what you need. hugs and xoxoxo I have to admit I have giggled a bit over your quagmire...and showed this thread to Billy who will NEVER let me forget locking the truck with next to no diesel, still running, as I got out to open the gate...and then HE couldn't find HIS KEYS!!! :lol: :cool:

IFG
Jan. 17, 2011, 09:55 PM
Thanks for the laugh? I know that you didn't sign up for winter the way those of us up north did.

I can tell you from experience that if you get your trailer full of hay stuck in a snow drift, where it slipped after sliding on the ice while you were trying to pull into your paddock, that if you then notice that it has a flat tire, that U.S. Rider will change the tire on the trailer. I didn't ask U.S. Rider to pull it out because I figured that I could do that myself. Anyhow, the truck that U.S. Rider sent got stuck on the ice in the driveway because it was not a 4 X 4, and I had to pull him out with my truck.

Then I unloaded all f****ing 40 bales of hay in the dark, by myself. Rehitched the trailer, and pulled it out, once it no longer had a flat, and no longer had a ton of hay in it.

It's what makes us horsewomen, right?

Thanks for the laugh.

CookiePony
Jan. 17, 2011, 10:22 PM
I'm just devastated that I can't get out of the driveway to go get a peppermint shake!

Emergency! Georgia is now in a state of emergency if FA cannot get her peppermint shake!! Is there any way Billy can bring one? :lol: :winkgrin:

Seriously, hugs to you. :) It has been a bummer up here, too-- I have not been on Taco for 8 days. Serious withdrawal. :eek:

kinnip
Jan. 17, 2011, 10:23 PM
It's what makes us horsewomen, right?

Thanks for the laugh.

I was foolishly belly aching about the slack 'ooo it iced two days ago.' attitude of townies v. those of us on the farm, to my dear friend vet. She said "Yeah, but that's what we do." :yes:

Bit O Groby
Jan. 17, 2011, 10:50 PM
I feel your pain. I'm really tired of this weather too. You have a great story though, and it will be funny 'one day'.

wookie
Jan. 18, 2011, 02:50 AM
i am so sorry flecking awesome but i honestly belly laughed as i got to the point of locking your keys in your truck...last yr in maryland we had those back to back storms and we ended up with over 5 ft of snow on the eastern shore.

well...during the first storm i headed out to my truck to meet my friends at a bar down the street. got in my truck and turned it on realizing that my house key was on key chain hanging inside my house. no spare outside...not with friendss and a very serious blizzard going on. dave's lock and key told me i would pay a fortune to get him there. i proceeded to go to the bar and drink alot of blue berry beer. in my beer induced haze i left the bar and broke a window in my basement....slid through landing almost on my face in a heap next to the furnace. got up...brushed myself off and headed back to the bar.

i dug my trailer out and it literally had 7-8ft of drifted snow around it. 3 days later mother nature hits us with another sucker punch. i head to the barn and leave my honda at the end of the drive. i again dig my truck and trailer out. phewwwww...it's out. i get out to move the shovel for i want to move the trailer.....click...my lock slams shut and there it is...the damn truck is running and is locked. i think....i will go to town and get my other keys.... NOT.....my honda has been covered completely by snow by a passing snow plow. and my second set of truck keys ARE IN THE TRUCK!!

i also am having an issue with mother nature.

wookie
Jan. 18, 2011, 02:54 AM
ps...cost of replacing basement window pane....8 dollars vs dave' s lock and keys quote of 275 plus hotel. cost of blueberry beer that dulled my pain that evening....one hell of hangover..

cost of the fun...priceless!

belleellis
Jan. 18, 2011, 09:48 AM
FleckenA,
You have been nothing but nice to me so I am very sorry but I am LMAO. I know I am a bad person. This so sounds like something that would happen to me. Maybe not exactly but close enough I can appreciate it. You left out all the bad words I would have said however!

pegasusmom
Jan. 18, 2011, 12:47 PM
Dana I can't ride in those at a gallop!

Ahh. . . see I am sitting in mine! The advantage to driving in the summer is that you are NOT sitting on an equine furnace. The disadvantage to driving in the winter is that you are NOT sitting on an equine furnace!

skip916
Jan. 18, 2011, 02:17 PM
so sorry- i totally feel your pain with this weather! i have had at least three temper tantrums about it lately- and they do help a little- as would a peppermint milkshake. good luck and i hope you get to do your prelim! poplar?

i cant ride at all because our entire farm is a mudpit- just when i thought the annoying part of all this snow/ice was over- it's round two with mud!

FLeckenAwesome
Jan. 18, 2011, 03:35 PM
Thanks guys!!

You're making me feel better!!

I know it's a wimpy little amount of snow and ice, but it was just the ridiculousness of the situation!!

But yep.. it's still stuck, though at least unlocked and my super fab farrier is coming this afternoon to try to pull me out. :)

And my wonderful friend picked me and Fleckers up and got us to our lesson :) Yay.. so that has helped the feeling of doom. Still no shake, but I did get a chickfila biscuit this am :) Should have just gotten a shake too, but will tonight !!!

And.... so yeah... the one kinda not funny at all part, but hopefully will turn out okay part... We're almost out of propane, which heats the house, but more importantly.. heats the water... And I called yesterday... and they said it would be a few days. Fine... Cause I'm blocking the path anyways... (though I did call BEFORE I got stuck). Well, I ask them to call first because I have dogs and the dog door exits to the fence that contains the tank. So... they never call first... NEVER! Even though I politely explain every time that I'd hate for them to come out and have to come out again because the dogs are in the way. So... of course.. they don't call, and show up today... And can't get through. Yep... That's why I ask for you to call first!!! Argh...

I just hope I can get it out of the way today, and they come back tomorrow so we don't run out of heat or hot water!

Good luck to everyone else..... hopefully the wind and sun will come out and dry everything up and we can all get back to riding!! And complaining about how hot it is ;) Ha!

FLeckenAwesome
Jan. 18, 2011, 05:11 PM
Whoo hooo!!!

My wonder farrier got us out and free and I'm now off to go get hay!!!!!!