PDA

View Full Version : does cocosoya do what it says it does?

buck22
Jan. 17, 2011, 01:58 PM
I began feeding cocosoya 3 years ago because the idea of it helping stabilize blood sugar really appealed to me. Thats the only reason I selected it. The current advertising has it as a minor detail it seems now, but when I first started using it the stabilizing feature was a more main selling point, as least as far as I recall.

My IR horses live out on low quality pasture 24/7 and do very well. A little pudgy at certain times of the year but we have nice tight white lines. With as limited as my time is to exercise them well, I can't complain.

Of course I have them on low sugar diets, but do I have the cocosoya to thank in part for this? Does it really help stabilize blood sugar? How?

Sometimes I feel like I'm feeding it 'just because'. Otoh, I've been very fortunate with how my horses manage living out on grass so I don't want to mess with success too much.

thanks!

http://www.uckeleequine.com/buy/cocosoya/

"A blend of highly digestible Coconut and Soybean Oils selected for Natural Fatty Acid balance. It is a natural source of Omega 3 Omega 6 & Omega 9 fatty acids. Cocosoya retains Natural Tocopherol (Vitamin E) and Sterols present in Crude Unrefined Oil (No chemical solvents). Cocosoya is an unrefined source of soybean & coconut oils. The thick substance (gums) that sometimes settles to the bottom of the container is the Natural Lecithins (phospholipids) and Tocopherols (Vitamin E) of the soy bean oil. It is a highly nutritious portion of the product. Keep your oil well shaken allowing the lecithin & tocopherols to stay in suspension. Cocosoya is 20% more digestible than ordinary corn and vegetable oil and it costs less than vegetable oil at your local store.
Used for: • A replacement for (refined) ordinary corn & vegetable oil • Reducing dust in feed • Increasing feed palatability while reducing molasses • Improved hair coat gloss • Improved feed utilization • A natural source of Vitamin E • Increased calories in the diet which are slowly metabolized • Stabilizing Blood Sugar"

deltawave
Jan. 17, 2011, 02:18 PM
"Stabilizes" is one of those words, along with "promotes", "supports", and "enhances" that doesn't mean a whole lot, but is permissible under FDA/USDA labeling for nutritional products without crossing the somewhat nebulous line into making claims of effectiveness.

I like Uckele's products quality-wise, but their advertising is a little over the top for my taste.

Fat sources are indeed metabolized more slowly than starches, and in that light using fat as a calorie source instead of carbohydrates would tend to cause fewer fluctuations in the blood glucose. But that is not really (to me) the same thing as "stabilizing" it if what is meant by stabilizing is "improving" it. Semantics, yes, but I don't think this or any other fat product can work miracles. Nutrients are nutrients, some are healthier than others, but none of them can do anything beyond what Nature has designed them for. :)

Bravestrom
Jan. 17, 2011, 02:56 PM
I have been feeding cocosoya oil for about 3 years - while it may not work miracles I definitely feel that our horses are much healthier because it is in their diet. I have to special order it in canada but feel it is worth it.

Not that I know if this is scientifically related but we did have some horses that tied up on us before we started using cocosoya oil and since we have started using it we have not seen any issues relating to that. In general I feel it is a good addition to their diet.

buck22
Jan. 18, 2011, 09:03 PM
thank you both, I'm really grateful for the response!

and I do love uckele products, use them almost exclusively. The cocosoya is very palatable and, in the event my horse ever needs bute, its the only way I've found I can get him to eat it.

I have about 2 months before I have to reorder, I'm going to think on what to do. I haven't noticed any miracles, I almost feel its superfluous to their diets, but OTOH my horses are looking and moving the best they ever have (touch wood), and I don't want to wreck things :lol:

thanks again

deltawave
Jan. 18, 2011, 11:41 PM
If it ain't broke . . . ;)

Uckele does have the occasional very nice shipping offer if you're on their email list. I take advantage of those, for sure, because I use their grass-base vitamin/mineral pellets and like to buy the 40 pound size, so shipping fees can get kind of painful!

buck22
Mar. 15, 2011, 06:56 PM
I like Uckele's products quality-wise, but their advertising is a little over the top for my taste.

was finally getting around to deciding whether to re-order or not as I'm nearly out, and went to the website to review the ingredients once again.

Over the top advertising is spot on sadly :no: Advertising on site says:
"A blend of highly digestible Coconut and Soybean Oils selected for Natural Fatty Acid balance. It is a natural source of Omega 3 Omega 6 & Omega 9 fatty acids. Cocosoya retains Natural Tocopherol (Vitamin E) and Sterols present in Crude Unrefined Oil (No chemical solvents). Cocosoya is an unrefined source of soybean & coconut oils. The thick substance (gums) that sometimes settles to the bottom of the container is the Natural Lecithins (phospholipids) and Tocopherols (Vitamin E) of the soy bean oil. It is a highly nutritious portion of the product. Keep your oil well shaken allowing the lecithin & tocopherols to stay in suspension. Cocosoya is 20% more digestible than ordinary corn and vegetable oil and it costs less than vegetable oil at your local store.
Used for: • A replacement for (refined) ordinary corn & vegetable oil • Reducing dust in feed • Increasing feed palatability while reducing molasses • Improved hair coat gloss • Improved feed utilization • A natural source of Vitamin E • Increased calories in the diet which are slowly metabolized • Stabilizing Blood Sugar"

so then I look at the product label and it says: Vitamin E (dl Alpha Tocopherol) :confused: Surely that can't be right, they say natural all over the dang place, so I call them up.

Indeed, I was told that cocosoya does retain *some* natural E from the original sources, but synthetic E is added as a stabilizer and preservative. They don't actually know how much natural E is in the product, or what the ratio is nat to syn. They did say they add only a small amount, whatever that means. They also said that cocosoya overall has a very insignificant amount of E at all in it and should not be considered a source.

Here I was all along buying into their banner waiving :no: Not that its any huge crisis, I wasn't feeding it for E anyhow, but I feel like a dope because at one point I did pat myself on the back thinking I was giving my horses natural E. A significant source anyhow. :lol:

I like Uckele products in general and use them, and I liked feeling like it was the *one* company who's labels I didn't have to scrutinize, and now I just feel dumb for having trusted without *really* reading. :(

Its that time of year where we're coming out of winter and battling the bulge. I start scrutinizing everything I feed my horses and seeing what I can cut, and I'm just so saddened that consumers have to wade through so much manure when selecting for their horse's diets. Ok, whine over :lol:

fwiw, I did ask about the omega 3, 6 and 9, and all the rep could tell me is that its 7%, 6% and 9% respectively. For whatever that is worth to anyone. :lol:

thanks for letting me vent