PDA

View Full Version : Novice Three Day?

petit fromage
Jan. 17, 2011, 12:22 PM
My research seems to show 4 for this year...South Carolina, Kansas, Maryland and perhaps Vermont. Any others already scheduled or being considered?

Any in Area 8???
hint hint

deltawave
Jan. 17, 2011, 12:25 PM
I would LOVE for there to be one in Area 8, since I think it's probably the only 3 Day that Bonnie will ever get to do. :)

When and where is the Kansas one?

petit fromage
Jan. 17, 2011, 12:31 PM
I think it is Olathe, KS in late August.

Do you think (just dreaming here) that a novice 3-day could ever be added to one of the existing area 8 training 3-days?

Trak_Eventer
Jan. 17, 2011, 01:11 PM
I would LOVE for there to be one in Area 8, since I think it's probably the only 3 Day that Bonnie will ever get to do. :)

When and where is the Kansas one?

It is at Heritage Park in Olathe, KS. They have a Training 3D also. The people who run this event are some of the most hard working and dedicated people. They make go leaps and bounds to make the event happen each year. It was my first event and I have gone there many, many times. It is 10 minutes away from my house back home. Missing it this year since I am at school. Close to pretty much anything you want to get to. www.macta.info is the website for the event.

deltawave
Jan. 17, 2011, 01:14 PM
660 miles, argh. :(

RAyers
Jan. 17, 2011, 01:27 PM

Whiner. I came out to your neck of the woods. Your turn. ;)

scubed
Jan. 17, 2011, 01:54 PM
I am trying to convince the folks who do Cobblestone to add one

petit fromage
Jan. 17, 2011, 02:05 PM
Yea!

millerra
Jan. 17, 2011, 02:19 PM
I am SO excited about the Heritage one (Kansas) - haven't been there in years but the 1/4 star is my 'destination event' for this year!

When they brought back the "real" three days again, I was between horses. Then I've had soundness issues trying to get to training level. And I've been petrified that the real 3-days would disappear again before we were ready. So perhaps as silly as it seems, I am so excited about the 1/4 star in my area. Well, as excited as i can be in January...

deltawave
Jan. 17, 2011, 02:32 PM
I am trying to convince the folks who do Cobblestone to add one

Yay! :D

deltawave
Jan. 17, 2011, 02:32 PM
Whiner. I came out to your neck of the woods. Your turn. ;)

Only if you promise to braid my horse! :lol:

LAZ
Jan. 17, 2011, 03:30 PM
My research seems to show 4 for this year...South Carolina, Kansas, Maryland and perhaps Vermont. Any others already scheduled or being considered?

Any in Area 8???
hint hint

Talk to me. :D

I've had enough people ask me about doing this that I am actually considering it...

I have several scenerios in mind:

Do one here on my farm after one of my event camps

Do one here on my farm as stand alone or with one of my schooling HT's

Do one in conjunction with IEA if the rest of the organizing committee is amenable.Doing it with IEA would make the most sense if I can talk them into it since I've already got the clincians and everything is already laid out, but it would be the most expensive option.

Doing it here with definately go more towards the educational aspect then big time, but it could be considerably cheaper.

deltawave
Jan. 17, 2011, 03:54 PM
I just want to do one for the FUN aspect. :D Isn't that why we event? And I think it would do Bonnie good to make her short legs go fast and take some flyers at SC-type jumps. :yes:

LAZ, if I can help, lemme know.

sarah88
Jan. 17, 2011, 04:00 PM
could you please share what HT's the N3D's will be at, specifically the one in MD?

RiverBendPol
Jan. 17, 2011, 04:02 PM
GMHA in VT is a sure thing and they'll have a T3D as well. HUGE fun. Worth the trip, no matter where you are!! ;)

petit fromage
Jan. 17, 2011, 04:21 PM
The Area 2 website says that Full Moon Farm is having one in June. (Last year also??) Anyway, the message says to check the Full Moon website for more information but I don't believe they have it loaded yet.

LAZ, Say it's true!

FoxChaser
Jan. 17, 2011, 07:54 PM
Oooooooooo LAZ, please, pretty please talk to the IEA folks or have one at your place! We wouldn't be ready this spring (I'm on a greenie who didn't do jack last year what with my baby), but would LOVE to start off next year with one!!! :)

eponacowgirl
Jan. 17, 2011, 08:23 PM

I've had enough people ask me about doing this that I am actually considering it...

Do one in conjunction with IEA if the rest of the organizing committee is amenable.Doing it with IEA would make the most sense if I can talk them into it since I've already got the clincians and everything is already laid out, but it would be the most expensive option.

Doing it here with definately go more towards the educational aspect then big time, but it could be considerably cheaper.

SEEEEEEE??!?!? SEE SEE SEE SEE SEE?!?!

It's NOT just me harassing you about doing a N3D, then!!

Pretty pretty please with a cherry on top?!?!?!

wildlifer
Jan. 17, 2011, 10:14 PM
Is the one in SC you are talking about Southern Eighths Farm/Classic Eventing? If so, it's an educational event -- one I didn't get to do, but I met the folks and they are fantastic.

goodmorning
Jan. 17, 2011, 11:02 PM
Does sound FUN! Very unlikely I will be attending the Area 1 event, but I'd love to do the steeplechase! Too bad, sounds like a great event.

ksbadger
Jan. 18, 2011, 12:14 AM
Briar Fox Farm in Augusta, KS will be holding a schooling T3D over the weekend of June 24-26 which is the same weekend that Fox River Valley will be holding their CIC*. Catalpa Corner in Iowa City, IA were also looking at a CIC* but it's not in the calendar.

purplnurpl
Jan. 18, 2011, 09:20 AM

oh yey!! less than 1000 miles? SWEET!

hmmmm....the one at Heritage park is tempting. Kind of close to the AECs though...
Aug is a wee tad hot for me though.

GutsNGlory
Jan. 18, 2011, 09:30 AM

Another yes vote here! My boy might be ready for Novice by the end of this season... but if not, I would be more than willing to volunteer!

LAZ
Jan. 18, 2011, 10:05 AM
Well, the answer is not yes, but it isn't no either. Stay tuned.

Hollywood
Jan. 18, 2011, 10:28 AM

This would be awesome! As you know, my goal has always been to do a T3D...BUT I seem to constantly be in a situation of having to start over with horses due to reasons out of my control. So now, as I continue to get older, the more of a weenie I am about jumping...so a N3D would be something wonderful to have as a goal! Obviously, not in the cards this year, but maybe in the next year or two...

chestnutwithchrome
Jan. 18, 2011, 06:41 PM
LAZ: If you create it..... I will come!!!! ;-)

Ajierene
Jan. 18, 2011, 06:49 PM
Does anyone know the details of the Full Moon Novice Three Day? What are the prerequisites?

I would love to go, if I am available and satisfy any prerequisites...and my trainer's sale horse is still around....and she lets me take her...

midnightride
Jan. 18, 2011, 09:03 PM
Does anyone know the details of the Full Moon Novice Three Day? What are the prerequisites?

I would love to go, if I am available and satisfy any prerequisites...and my trainer's sale horse is still around....and she lets me take her...

Second! Any info?? Not sure my gang is up to a Training but Novice! Yup :D:Dsounds like fun!

(Ajierene- you can bum one of my gang if you dont have a horse!)

hhfarm
Jan. 18, 2011, 09:09 PM
LAZ, that would be amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with previous posters, if you build it we will come.

I'm good for maybe half a dozen horses????? =)

archieflies
Jan. 18, 2011, 09:36 PM
Well, I hear rumors of one at Meadowcreek (TX) in May, as well as a BN3D... seems like a lot for them to take on at the same time as full HT, T3D, YEH, and FEH... I haven't seen it on their website, but there was an email from Sol Events that listed it.

LAZ
Jan. 18, 2011, 09:48 PM
OK guys, I've been corresponding all day with the IEA organizing committee and I won't say 100% that this is going to happen but I will say that it looks very likely. I'm working on financial projections, etc right now to present to the board.

Mark your calendars. We will need additional volunteers, so if anyone out there wants to get in on the workings of a three day event and earn our undying appreciation, contact my volunteer coordinator, KC, she's on here as Quiterandom1.

I will say I think we will limit entries for the N3DE to no more than 30, so when opening day comes, do not dally if you want to attend. We also run a T3DE so these two things (which are my pet projects) have to fit within our HT's, and we limit entries on it to about 250 so we don't have to run x/c on two days.

FoxChaser
Jan. 19, 2011, 12:04 AM
YAY!!!!!!! I will start spreading the rumor around here :)

purplnurpl
Jan. 19, 2011, 09:58 AM
Well, I hear rumors of one at Meadowcreek (TX) in May, as well as a BN3D... seems like a lot for them to take on at the same time as full HT, T3D, YEH, and FEH... I haven't seen it on their website, but there was an email from Sol Events that listed it.

SCORE!!
I don't think it would be that tough. The steeplechase and R/T will already be set for the T3D.

I had that event on my list already.
I hope they do one!!

I would rather trailer out of area but Aug is just going to be too hot and then I'll have to turn right around and trailer to GA (hopefully/fingers crossed).

ooops, doesn't matter anyway. Heritage has some hefty QRs for the N3D. There is no way I can afford to run that many Novice in one season. That stinks!!

wildlifer
Jan. 19, 2011, 01:56 PM
Doncha hate QR??! I've got the same problem with qualifying for T3DE -- holy cow, it looks like I am expected to crap out money every time I sit down!

Highflyer
Jan. 19, 2011, 02:10 PM
I believe the Full Moon one is more like a camp, is not affiliated with the USEA, and AFAIK doesn't have any qualifications for any of the levels (although you obviously would want to feel pretty confident your horse would get around, since it's a lot of time and money spent otherwise).

inquisitive
Jan. 19, 2011, 02:15 PM
Here is the info from last year:
http://www.fullmoonfarm.com/QStarInfo.html

I wish it wasn't completely during the week so us working adults could try to make it without taking off a full week...

purplnurpl
Jan. 19, 2011, 02:16 PM
Doncha hate QR??! I've got the same problem with qualifying for T3DE -- holy cow, it looks like I am expected to crap out money every time I sit down!

yup.
my take is, if there aren't QRs to run the division itself (BN-T) then there is no need for QRs for the long format.

boooooo.

LexInVA
Jan. 19, 2011, 02:17 PM

Be sure to notify us when you have a bowel movement so you can share the wealth. :lol:

groom
Jan. 19, 2011, 02:27 PM
SCORE!!
I don't think it would be that tough. The steeplechase and R/T will already be set for the T3D.

I don't imagine you can send Novice over the same size steeplechase fences as Training. IIRC, the rules adopted for the T3D require the brush on phase B to be 3'11.

Does anyone have the specs for the N3D's that have already run at GMHA and elsewhere? Distances for ABCD, efforts on B & D, B speed & height?

LAZ, is there some committee or Org group working on standardizing the specs for N3D?

groom
Jan. 19, 2011, 02:31 PM
yup.
my take is, if there aren't QRs to run the division itself (BN-T) then there is no need for QRs for the long format.

boooooo.

But you are not advocating running long format as your first go at these levels, are you? Doesn't it make sense to regulate that entrants have some experience at these levels?

LAZ
Jan. 19, 2011, 02:33 PM
yup.

boooooo.

We (as organizers) lost the ability to give special permission for otherwise well-qualified individuals who weren't qualified when the T3DE became sanctioned.

The qualifiers have to be in place, somewhat to be sure the partipants are familar with the basic format of eventing prior to doing a 3 day.

I would also like to say that in order to ride in a championships there are qualifying criteria, so in that context having qualifying criteria for the N & T 3DE makes sense.

groom
Jan. 19, 2011, 02:37 PM
Does anyone have the specs for the N3D's that have already run at GMHA and elsewhere? Distances for ABCD, efforts on B & D, B speed & height?

I found this from GMHA :http://www.gmhainc.org/assets/files/info/N.T%20working%20Document.pdf

The Novice endurance phase will include 2 roads and tracks, a steeplechase with jumps not to exceed 2'11" and speed
not to exceed 470 mpm and a cross country test with 16-20 efforts at speed not to exceed 400 mpm.
The novice Dressage test will be 2010 USEF Training Test B held in a large arena with 2 judges.

The Training endurance phase will include 2 roads and tracks, a steeplechase with jumps not to exceed 3'3" and speed
not to exceed 520 mpm and a cross country test with 20-24 efforts at speed not to exceed 470 mpm.
The Training Dressage test will be the new 2010 USEF Training 3-Day Event Test held in a large arena with 2 judges.

I wonder if they had 2 sets of chase fences, or adjusted them somehow? Also still curious as to how may efforts & distances for B, and distance for D, particularly in light of the "110m per effort" rule ascribed to T3D. Again, IIRC, T3D phase D can be as long as 3290m.

LAZ
Jan. 19, 2011, 02:56 PM
I found this from GMHA :http://www.gmhainc.org/assets/files/info/N.T%20working%20Document.pdf

I wonder if they had 2 sets of chase fences, or adjusted them somehow? Also still curious as to how may efforts & distances for B, and distance for D, particularly in light of the "110m per effort" rule ascribed to T3D. Again, IIRC, T3D phase D can be as long as 3290m.

I'm sorting all this out at the moment, too.

I think we will remove one of our chase fences & cut the brush down for the N3DE, if that isn't going to work, measurement-wise we'll make two smaller brush boxes for the novice chase--we'll run them around the track twice, for a total of 4 jumps, @ 450 MPM.

Looking at a longer x/c than regular novice and an extra effort or question while keeping within the Novice guidelines of introductory to the sport.

deltawave
Jan. 19, 2011, 04:31 PM
LAZ, you mean the early June IEA dates, correct?

Anything firm on what the qualifiers will be? Bonnie's got a whole bunch of clean Novices, but scattered all over the calendar over the last several years! I'd assuming I'm qualified, but not sure about her as she barely competed at all last year.

purplnurpl
Jan. 19, 2011, 04:32 PM
We (as organizers) lost the ability to give special permission for otherwise well-qualified individuals who weren't qualified when the T3DE became sanctioned.

The qualifiers have to be in place, somewhat to be sure the participants are familiar with the basic format of eventing prior to doing a 3 day.

I would also like to say that in order to ride in a championships there are qualifying criteria, so in that context having qualifying criteria for the N & T 3DE makes sense.

I never really thought of a long format as a championship. Just a longer format.

We have to also think of the demographic attracted to the Novice and Training long format.
Mostly working class amateurs who don't have time to run tons of HTs. Don't have time to keep the fitness needed to hit prelim and certainly don't have the time and money to have an UL 3D horse in the works.

I suppose though, there are enough career Novice and Training riders to fill in the gaps and easily fill the divisions.

I think having the QRs be for the rider would be sufficient at these levels.
So many of us could easily have horses ready to run a Novice or Training 3D (especially Novice) right from the start but can not enter due to the horse QRs. Here I was, scribbling in Heritage into my book--but then I found the QRs and had to erase my plan.

to bad for me.
then again, I don't really appreciate the QRs needed for the LL AECs either.

groom
Jan. 19, 2011, 07:49 PM
I think having the QRs be for the rider would be sufficient at these levels.

I agree with this pertaining to N & T3D, but not in regards to the AEC. IMHO, the AEC should be made into a Championship rather than a 750 horse Circus. But that is for another thread, perhaps.

CookiePony
Jan. 19, 2011, 07:58 PM
LAZ, is there some committee or Org group working on standardizing the specs for N3D?

I'm not LAZ, but no, there isn't.

I'm confused-- you do not think that the AECs are a true championship? I do, mainly because the Training this year was like a scaled-down Prelim, IMHO.

As an ammy, I am very proud of meeting the qualifications for the T3D so I could participate. It felt like a real accomplishment!

LAZ
Jan. 19, 2011, 09:00 PM
LAZ, you mean the early June IEA dates, correct?

Anything firm on what the qualifiers will be? Bonnie's got a whole bunch of clean Novices, but scattered all over the calendar over the last several years! I'd assuming I'm qualified, but not sure about her as she barely competed at all last year.

Yes, the first weekend in June at IEA.

I am proposing 4 clear x/c 2 as a pair, at least 50 in dressage and I think that is what the board will go with.

Once we get things really hammered I'll be happy to share.

wildlifer
Jan. 19, 2011, 09:21 PM
Be sure to notify us when you have a bowel movement so you can share the wealth. :lol:

ROFLMAO, I will keep a close eye out and if it works out, I will be more than happy to share!

deltawave
Jan. 19, 2011, 09:22 PM
Just got my call weekends switched and the requisite days off to take aim at it. :) Thanks, LAZ, for even beginning. If it doesn't fly, we'll be there for the HT anyhow, and you can count on me to help out either way. If nothing else I will write you a check for something. :D

I'm assuming Training rounds would count for the rider, yes? I've done mostly Training and BN within the past year, only one Novice. :lol: My eventing life is rather confusing these days. :p

eponacowgirl
Jan. 19, 2011, 09:23 PM
Yes, the first weekend in June at IEA.

I am proposing 4 clear x/c 2 as a pair, at least 50 in dressage and I think that is what the board will go with.

Once we get things really hammered I'll be happy to share.

Ohhhhhh... QR's may make this impossible for me this year... I will come help (I think CP is doing the T3D) and participate next year if I can!!!

GutsNGlory
Jan. 19, 2011, 09:41 PM
This is awesome. Thank you so much for taking the lead on this. I will definitely volunteer! On my phone right now, so I'll message KC tomorrow. :)

OK guys, I've been corresponding all day with the IEA organizing committee and I won't say 100% that this is going to happen but I will say that it looks very likely. I'm working on financial projections, etc right now to present to the board.

Mark your calendars. We will need additional volunteers, so if anyone out there wants to get in on the workings of a three day event and earn our undying appreciation, contact my volunteer coordinator, KC, she's on here as Quiterandom1.

I will say I think we will limit entries for the N3DE to no more than 30, so when opening day comes, do not dally if you want to attend. We also run a T3DE so these two things (which are my pet projects) have to fit within our HT's, and we limit entries on it to about 250 so we don't have to run x/c on two days.

LAZ
Jan. 19, 2011, 09:52 PM
I'm assuming Training rounds would count for the rider, yes? I've done mostly Training and BN within the past year, only one Novice. :lol: My eventing life is rather confusing these days. :p

Yes to the Training rides counting, same with anything above novice. The idea is not to be exlclusionary, but to provide a safe, educational and really fun experience for everyone!

One of the reasons I'd been "eh" about a N3DE is (other than I still am having a hard time with speed and endurance at Novice) because I was afraid of what I'd see on steeplechase. My friend said "tell them if they come in faster than a certain time they will be eliminated and not be allowed to go on. Bingo--GREAT idea and a very positive motivator to learn gallop speeds!

deltawave
Jan. 20, 2011, 09:25 AM
Yeah, I realize there is a lot of variety in Novice level horse/rider pairs, from people AND horses who are new to the level to people who've done a lot more but this is the horse they have, to maybe pros with greenies (although I doubt they'd do this format) to relative newbies with old-pro horses.

I'd say no watches on SC and points are doled out according to furthest from optimum time, but that's another whole debate. :) You want zero time penalties on SC? Better practice that 470 clip at home! You want to go 550? Here's your 15 points. :D

purplnurpl
Jan. 20, 2011, 10:16 AM
to maybe pros with greenies (although I doubt they'd do this format)

I was thinking this last night. People that only do 1-2 novice with a horse are usually pros and they would most likely not participate in the format anyway!

so everything I mentioned is really not relevant.
I always forget that I'm a weirdo.