PDA

View Full Version : Pony Sized Gag Cheeks?

Noctis
Jan. 17, 2011, 11:28 AM
Fairly self explanatory, I haven't been able to find any ANYWHERE. Do they exist? Or is there a good way to alter regular horse sized ones? I've checked in the UK since the ponies are a lot more popular there as well, but no luck! Leave it to me to need something almost impossible to find!

mg
Jan. 17, 2011, 01:27 PM
What size do you need? 4.5"?

ETA: My bad. Read this wrong and thought you were looking for a bit!

Hunter Princess
Jan. 17, 2011, 01:31 PM
Bit of Britain has cob sized cheeks if that helps, not sure if they're short enough for a true pony though.

Noctis
Jan. 17, 2011, 03:46 PM
They're still too darn long :( Just called and had them measure. Fairly petite headed pony sadly enough!

ThirdCharm
Jan. 17, 2011, 06:16 PM
Get Rath gag cheeks (http://www.bitofbritain.com/Rath_Gag_Cheeks_p/0120.htm) and tie knots in them? Or double-loop the rings at the bottom?

Jennifer

pattnic
Jan. 17, 2011, 10:40 PM
Maybe you could try an "instant gag" instead... PNWjumper posted on my thread about mullen mouth gags that she finds the instant gag is almost exactly like a regular gag. Because it has a separate crown piece, you could certainly punch holes and make it shorter to fit the Pony.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/ProductClass.aspx?productclassid=6048&cm_vc=Search

relocatedTXjumpr
Jan. 17, 2011, 10:43 PM
I just don't understand how it turns ANY bit into a gag...the bit would still have to have the openings or "hooks" to slide the rope through...you couldn't take a regular loose ring and make a gag out of it...unless I am not understanding the concept.

pattnic
Jan. 17, 2011, 10:46 PM
I just don't understand how it turns ANY bit into a gag...the bit would still have to have the openings or "hooks" to slide the rope through...you couldn't take a regular loose ring and make a gag out of it...unless I am not understanding the concept.

*Shrugs* I don't quite get it, either... I'm just repeating what I was told! :lol:

relocatedTXjumpr
Jan. 17, 2011, 11:00 PM
LOL...maybe someone can enlighten both of us....maybe if I saw it in person I would get it, but I just dont get it, lol...

WNT
Jan. 18, 2011, 09:55 AM
I think the rope ends just run through the bit rings. You can use it with any old snaffle to give it gag action. You don't change out the normal cheekpieces on the bridle, just add this.

flashwhitelock
Jan. 18, 2011, 04:01 PM
that's exactly how it works. Handy to have around when you need to try a gag out really fast. works well at shows for horses that are used in hunter and then need to go into jumper.

scubed
Jan. 18, 2011, 04:20 PM
You might try these folks: http://www.tackzone.com/catalog/index.php?cName=pony-tack

ThirdCharm
Jan. 18, 2011, 05:09 PM
I did that once, just ran some gag cheekpieces fastened to a spare piece of leather with holes punched in it over the crown, through regular snaffle rings of a bit attached to "normal" cheekpieces to hold it in place, fastened the reins to the gag cheek rings to turn a standard waterford into a gag waterford. Worked quite well as a temporary "try it out and see if it works before investing $100 in a bit" solution.

Jennifer

Noctis
Jan. 18, 2011, 07:01 PM
The instant gag is a good start I think, does it make the regular cheek pieces move around very much when you engage the gag action?

Daisey-Bogie
Jan. 19, 2011, 09:05 PM
ok, i will ask, i don't know what a gag cheek is? i know what a gag bit is, obvisouly different. Please someone explain? I am upp for learning something new

Noctis
Jan. 19, 2011, 09:44 PM
ok, i will ask, i don't know what a gag cheek is? i know what a gag bit is, obvisouly different. Please someone explain? I am upp for learning something new

The gag cheek is what attaches to your bridle in lieu of a regular cheek piece to allow the gag bit to function properly :)