PDA

View Full Version : BoB Nylon Lined Stirrup Leathers?

bip
Jan. 16, 2011, 07:42 PM
Hi folks,
I absolutely hate the leathers I have on my saddle now. I don't remember what they are, but they are too thick! Makes changing stirrup lengths and cleaning them a major production. I'd like to get a pair of Nylon lined leathers from BoB, but will they be fat too? Should I just go with the Slimline (unlined) version? Does "slimline" mean thin? Or just narrow?

TIA

CookiePony
Jan. 16, 2011, 09:56 PM
I have nylon lined from Bartville. I think they are 3/4". Anyway, they are great-- just like Beval's, but much less $$. They are thin (relatively) and easy to adjust. Does anyone know whether Bartville is the manufacturer for the BoB ones?

Creaghgal
Jan. 16, 2011, 11:05 PM
I love mine from Bartville! They seemed a tat fat at first but broke in beautifully.

Stellar_moves
Jan. 16, 2011, 11:06 PM
I have HDR stirrup leathers! I love them, they have lasted me a very long time, and very easy to adjust.

Raison d'etre
Jan. 16, 2011, 11:20 PM
I have the BOB ones because I got tired of the rubs caused by the wider ones. I've had them for years, on 4 saddles, and I love them! I don't think they are noticeably thicker than other leathers, but it's honestly been so long since I've ridden in any other leathers, I just don't remember.

scubed
Jan. 17, 2011, 05:52 AM
I had the BoB ones and thought they were pretty thick compared to prestige or other high end ones like that. You might look at Ovation or http://www.tackwholesale.com/stirrup-leathers-paris-tack-super-soft-p-622.html

Gilbo
Jan. 17, 2011, 10:22 AM
These stirrup leathers are the best by far. They don't stretch like the unlined leathers do, and I've never had any issues with the thinkness. I just got rid of a set I've had for 10 years, and not because they were broken, but because they were old and I wanted a new pair. I gave them to someone else, and they are still being used. Lundmark leathers are also good.:winkgrin:

vineyridge
Jan. 17, 2011, 10:26 AM
I have a pair of the BOBs and they are considerably thicker than plain leather. However, I've got used to them and wouldn't have anything else because they do not stretch. Mine are years old and still in excellent condition. Probably they are the same as the Bartsville's.

wildlifer
Jan. 17, 2011, 10:54 AM
I got some Nunn Finer dressage leathers -- I am about to send them back because I have only had them about a month and the leather has some horrible cracks in it. I can't believe it and am very disappointed. They are not the lined ones, just the plain ones.

Gilbo
Jan. 17, 2011, 11:15 AM
I got some Nunn Finer dressage leathers -- I am about to send them back because I have only had them about a month and the leather has some horrible cracks in it. I can't believe it and am very disappointed. They are not the lined ones, just the plain ones.

Wildlifer: I've had this issue with other stirrup leathers from BoB that are not lined. I would not buy the unlined leathers from here.:no:

betsyk
Jan. 17, 2011, 07:35 PM
I bought the BoB lined leathers for my jumping/kids saddle about 7 or 8 years ago. They lasted beautifully, didn't leave marks on the saddle, and were easy to adjust. My mistake was punching extra holes in them; eventually the stitching split and the layers separated near the extra holes. Now they're on their second career as neck straps!

wildlifer
Jan. 17, 2011, 10:06 PM
Dang, gilbo, where were you a month ago, LOL?! I am hoping I will be able to return them smoothly, thanks for the tip though, I shall apply that to my next purchase for sure!

wildlifer
Jan. 23, 2011, 08:44 PM
Just wanted to update and give Nunn Finer some kudos where they are due -- a rep contacted me after seeing my post about my problem leathers and we are working to fix the problem. So two thumbs up for Nunn Finer for good service, which is hard to find these days! :-)

UKYeventer
Jan. 23, 2011, 08:55 PM

My black plain ones did the exact same thing the first time I used them :no: The cracks appear to be only on the finished side, hence the reason I have kept using them. But I still can't help but wonder every time I ride in my jumping saddle if they are going to break. I love every other piece of Nunn Finer equipment I own but I will be very hesitant to ever buy another pair of their stirrup leathers.

UKYeventer
Jan. 24, 2011, 12:40 PM
Update: I want to give two thumbs up to Nunn finer for standing behind their products. After seeing my post I was quickly contacted by a rep and they are going to fix the problem. With customer service like this they have defiantly found a long time customer in me!

vineyridge
Jan. 24, 2011, 01:32 PM
There are two ways to color leather, IIRC. One is vat dying, where the leather is immersed in a vat until it absorbs the color which goes deep into the leather. The other way is quicker, shorter and cheaper and it involves dipping the leather or spraying it with a colored coating. The coating is only on the outside and is more like a paint. With the second method, the color will often crack without affecting the leather underneath. Indian and Pakistani leather that is cheap uses the second type of coloring.