PDA

View Full Version : Why is my cat attacking my face?!

In_
Jan. 16, 2011, 06:31 PM
Help!

My 5-6 month old spayed female is attacking my face. She will sit on the table, look at me, and then swat me with both front feet while biting my face! It HURTS! It is not a love nip/nose nibble/nursing behavior. She has done it three times now. Each time I have picked her up (or scruff her) and removed her off the table with a firm "no." She is quite mad at this point and tries to bit/scratch my hands/legs/arms.

What can I do stop this negative behavior?

ClassAction
Jan. 16, 2011, 07:33 PM
If you find the answer, let me know. My cat is 5 and still bites a lot. He's calmed down but OW!

Should have known when I got him at the shelter and he was chomping on my hand...

pAin't_Misbehavin'
Jan. 16, 2011, 07:34 PM
Don't know. But you've certainly cleared up the mystery of why my BO didn't want me holding the barn kitten near my face.:lol:

onelanerode
Jan. 16, 2011, 07:49 PM
Hmmm. I'd be making sure I had a squirt bottle handy and using it liberally as soon as she started such behavior.

I'd also be trying to find ways to interact with her such that none of my body parts were in the line of fire. ;) Oddly enough, my cat loves those long loofah dog toys and will grab onto those and maul them. I encourage that with a little catnip. Sucks for the dogs, but works for me! :yes:

tidy rabbit
Jan. 16, 2011, 07:54 PM
Kitty is just checking to see if you're dead yet so she can eat your eye balls.

Eye in the Sky
Jan. 16, 2011, 08:14 PM
Stop rubbing catnip all over your face, and this nasty behavior should stop. Oh and don't let kitty get close to your face - I'm sure you have figured this one out, though. ;)

Chall
Jan. 16, 2011, 08:30 PM
That sounds interesting. Do you were perfume, glasses or have bangs?
Do you stare at your cat? Some cats do not like to be stared at. I think they interpret it as aggression.
She does it when she's on the table? Are you eating dinner when she does it or perhaps working on your PC?
My cat always tries to interrupt me when I work on the PC. She wants attention, but she is also sensitive to when I get upset/frustrated/nervous and tries to divert my attention.

Good cat.

suze
Jan. 16, 2011, 08:39 PM
Our cat was a biter when we got him from the shelter. Usually without warning. You could be petting him & he'd just sink his teeth. What worked was to say NO loudly, & remove him from my arm or hand & then stop petting him & completely ignore him. He soon figured out that the petting stopped if he bit & he doesn't like being ignored. He doesn't bite at all any more. Don't know if it would work for all of them, but it works for him.

Beethoven
Jan. 16, 2011, 08:52 PM
Is she going after your nose by chance? I had one kitten do this to me and she grew out of it. She never bit it but did attempt to. I don't think she understood why it stuck out. I would also just say no and put her on the floor.

Pocket Pony
Jan. 16, 2011, 09:03 PM
Why? Because she's a cat. One of our female cats is a bitch - you'll be petting her and she'll be purring and happy and then she'll decide she's had enough and she'll either bite you or swipe at you and hiss and then walk off. :shrug:

BLBGP
Jan. 16, 2011, 09:18 PM
Why? Because she's a cat. One of our female cats is a bitch - you'll be petting her and she'll be purring and happy and then she'll decide she's had enough and she'll either bite you or swipe at you and hiss and then walk off. :shrug:

Overstimulation when petting is very common in cats. The love it and then hit their threshold and want you to stop Right Now. You can learn to tell the signs or else just stop petting them earlier than you usually would.

To the OP - How is your cat getting to your face? Is your cat lunging at your face? Or are you getting close and snuggling?

Eye in the Sky
Jan. 16, 2011, 09:23 PM
I don't know what's worse:

Your cat attacking your face or my cat smacking my butt. He does this often. I think he has learned it from watching my husband. I'm not kidding.

suze
Jan. 16, 2011, 09:51 PM
LOL Eye!

In_
Jan. 16, 2011, 10:34 PM
The cat is lunging at my face - I'm not snuggling. I do wear glasses occasionally but I have not worn them when she has launched herself. I don't have bangs (my hair is always pulled back) and I do not wear anything with a scent.

I don't make extended eye contact because I've read cats see it as challenging.

I thought it was an overstimulation thing - but the last two times she has run from another room, jumped onto the table, sat down for less than two seconds, and then launched. She does not aim for my nose with her mouth - she tried to bite my forehead and swats at my eyes. She got my nose so well earlier that she drew blood! Eeek!

I do work on my computer at the table - but she is not allowed in the room while I'm eating.

I have to admit it sounds pretty funny (Not nearly as much as EYE’s!!!!!) but she’s starting to pack way too much punch behind it.

kateh
Jan. 16, 2011, 10:38 PM

Which is why I'm a dog person. :winkgrin:

twotrudoc
Jan. 16, 2011, 10:38 PM

I don't know what's worse:

Your cat attacking your face or my cat smacking my butt. He does this often. I think he has learned it from watching my husband. I'm not kidding.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Rubyfree
Jan. 16, 2011, 10:43 PM
you should train them to be a good cat,just like foster a dog

You should use words that make sense, just like make some toast.

OP, have you been using that new Japanese sashimi tuna pillow? Great for your cervical vertebrae alignment, terrible for cat relations.

Mara
Jan. 16, 2011, 10:47 PM
Mom had a cat like this. Tried all kinds of things - pretty much everything that's been mentioned here.

Finally Kitty had to become an outside cat. She HATED that, because it was suburbia. He was in/out at will. He never got snuggly and sweet, but he did quit ambushing people. When he got really, really old he became quite the lap kitty, but you might not have a face left if you try to wait it out!

She had this cat from early kittenhood - he was always well-treated. If I ever have a cat (we are dog people), I'm getting an adult so I can pick one with a sweet temperament. I don't hate cats, not at all, but the cats I've been fond of have been. . .kind of dog-like!

Gray Horse H/J
Jan. 16, 2011, 10:50 PM
I'm chuckling over here even though this really isn't funny. When me and my cat still lived at home he would attack my mom's ankles. Like visciously attack them. He would hide in the bathroom and when she walked down the hall he'd jump out and grab her ankles, and chomp down. Yelling at him, booting him away, nothing worked. And he only did it to her. It got so bad she had to wear slippers or shoes in the house at all times. We never figured out what it was about her and her ankles that brought out the devil cat. I'm pretty sure my mom threw a party the day I took the cat out of that house.

He's occasionally staged an ankle attack on me, but I can tell he's playing when he does it. He wasn't foolin' around with my mom though.

I'd get a spray bottle ready for the OP's cat. I would not like a cat attacking my face!

Raymundo
Jan. 16, 2011, 11:25 PM
Cat would be a goner if it was mine:eek: I wouldn't tolerate that. If it gets your eye :eek::eek:

Mara
Jan. 16, 2011, 11:45 PM
I'm chuckling over here even though this really isn't funny. When me and my cat still lived at home he would attack my mom's ankles. Like visciously attack them. He would hide in the bathroom and when she walked down the hall he'd jump out and grab her ankles, and chomp down. Yelling at him, booting him away, nothing worked. And he only did it to her. It got so bad she had to wear slippers or shoes in the house at all times. We never figured out what it was about her and her ankles that brought out the devil cat. I'm pretty sure my mom threw a party the day I took the cat out of that house.

He's occasionally staged an ankle attack on me, but I can tell he's playing when he does it. He wasn't foolin' around with my mom though.

I'd get a spray bottle ready for the OP's cat. I would not like a cat attacking my face!

The ankle-biting story is funny, but my vet euth'd a cat for the same behavior. When the owner brought the cat in, she was on crutches with infected and abscessed wounds on her lower legs. All from her cat's unprovoked assaults.

Eye in the Sky
Jan. 17, 2011, 12:56 AM
My husband's aunt had an Abyssinian cat that was an indoor cat. Her name was Abby and Abby loved to watch the deer in the backyard at sunset - and we all hated this because Abby would become frustrated when she could not attack the deer, so SOMEONE (we never knew who - it was like kitty roulette) would get attacked - and I mean this cat was out for BLOOD!

Abby finally got old and died of old age, and I can honestly say, I am so glad to not have to subject my little boy to her insanity! I do miss her - she was fascinating in a scary way!:eek:

Wayside
Jan. 17, 2011, 01:27 AM
I used to own a cat that would hide in the bathroom cupboard, and then jump out and bite people in the behind when they sat on the toilet :eek: :lol:

Natalie A
Jan. 17, 2011, 01:43 AM
My parents' cat has no fear of the spray bottle. I swear she'd rather do what she wants to do (jump on the kitchen counters and see if there's anything to investigate/eat/bat at) and live with the consequences. But this is also the cat who dunks her food in her water and plays with it for fun, so that's not saying much. She's less than a year, hopefully (for all involved) she'll get less athletic soon!

furlong47
Jan. 17, 2011, 02:01 AM
The ankle-biting story is funny, but my vet euth'd a cat for the same behavior. When the owner brought the cat in, she was on crutches with infected and abscessed wounds on her lower legs. All from her cat's unprovoked assaults.

Um, yikes! :eek: My kitty attacks my ankles when I leave for work in the morning. I told her it is fine if she wants me to stay home all day, but then she's the one who will have to go get a job to support us! However, her attacks are harmless, as she has no front claws (I would never declaw a cat, I adopted her and she came that way) and only chomps at my shoes. I've resorted to blocking her with my lunch bag.

My neighbors, however, must think I really hate my job, as I come out the door every morning yelling "No!" repeatedly :lol:

Beethoven
Jan. 17, 2011, 08:07 AM
Cats are crazy. I thankfully have no attack cats. My one fat one will swat at your leg when you walk by occasionally but doesn't go for blood.

OMG the cat biting butts of people on the toilet is too funny.:lol:

TheJenners
Jan. 17, 2011, 08:10 AM
Geez, you guys are nice. I would wind up and sock the crap out anything that attacked my face. I like having two eyes and no scars.

Honestly OP, I don't see how you don't see it coming? Cats will squat or hunch down or twitch the tip of the tail before launching an assault. Be prepared, and when she goes for it, send her furry ass flying. She might think this is play, and your response is NOT enough to convince her otherwise. Trust me, cats are not delicate flowers.

Coffee
Jan. 17, 2011, 09:31 AM
Geez, you guys are nice. I would wind up and sock the crap out anything that attacked my face. I like having two eyes and no scars.

Be prepared, and when she goes for it, send her furry ass flying. She might think this is play, and your response is NOT enough to convince her otherwise. Trust me, cats are not delicate flowers.

That's what I thought too! Domestic cats are social animals, with social hierarchies, and unless they are just nuts from a medical problem, they can learn not to do something.

If a cat bit me in the face I would swipe it from the table and smack it with a magazine until it ran scared. No reason to put up with that crap.

Covergirl15
Jan. 17, 2011, 10:01 AM
oh wow! one of my cats will bite my hands arms when he doesn't want bothered, but he knows not to bite my face, and the other one feels bad and licks me whenever she nips, tho when she's happy and purring, she likes to chew on my thumb ;)

I agree with the spray bottle or, if possible could you put her in another room as soon as she does it?

DinkDunk
Jan. 17, 2011, 11:17 AM
If a cat bit me in the face I would swipe it from the table and smack it with a magazine until it ran scared. No reason to put up with that crap.

Yeah - no way would I ever allow this to happen more than once. Just pretend the cat is a dog. Would you allow a dog to attack your face? Hells no! For one, don't let your cat on the table. And two, make it purrfectly obvious that that behavior will NOT be tolerated. Make yourself the dominant one in this relationship, just like with dogs.

When I first adopted my cat he would try to bite or scratch...I snatched that kitty up by the scruff and made it very obvious that wouldn't be tolerated and then launched his butt far away from me. He wants good attention, he best be nice. He is now super kitty - NEVER bites or scratches in anger. He knows his place and its in my lap purring.

Equisis
Jan. 18, 2011, 02:08 AM
Cat behavior and dog behavior are VERY different. Dogs are concerned with your approval whereas cats are not and they are far more independent. This isn't to say that you should roll over and let your cat do whatever they want, but they don't understand discipline in the same way that dogs do. I have a witchy little cat with a temper that used to attack (yes, she went for eyes) and while her behavior has vastly improved, she responded very negatively to her previous owners trying to discipline her like a dog and I believe it worsened her problems.

OP, keep a spray bottle, whistle, or some other form of getting her attention/annoying her with you. Don't let her sit on the table when you're there and beware if she stares at you- cats stare when they are preparing to attack. When she starts showing signs of aggression (staring at you, twitching her tail, crouching, etc) make her back off, either by using a spray bottle, shaking a plastic bag, blowing a whistle, etc. Don't allow her to get mouthy or aggressive ever- make it clear to her that any physical contact is on your terms and ends if she gets testy. If she is persistent in going after you, turn her attention to a toy. Don't tease her using your hands or feet- play with her using a toy and make sure she gets adequate playtime. She is still young and wants to play, but this needs to be focused on a toy, not your body parts.

Coffee
Jan. 18, 2011, 09:55 AM
Cat behavior and dog behavior are VERY different. Dogs are concerned with your approval whereas cats are not and they are far more independent. This isn't to say that you should roll over and let your cat do whatever they want, but they don't understand discipline in the same way that dogs do. I have a witchy little cat with a temper that used to attack (yes, she went for eyes) and while her behavior has vastly improved, she responded very negatively to her previous owners trying to discipline her like a dog and I believe it worsened her problems.

I don't buy that cats don't understand discipline at all. Well socialized cats DO want an owner's approval. At any rate it's worked for me. And for an animal to learn well the response needs to be *immediate*.

Well socialized or not, if they do X and get a bad reaction, they'll be less likely to do it again. Like putting your hand on a hot stove.

Burbank
Jan. 18, 2011, 12:19 PM
ah yes the attack cat, my cat has finally been removed from the "Top 3 Evil Cats of the Family", he is an odd combo of loving affection and psycho tendencies.

he fully understands the word no and it makes him flatten his ears and get angry but if you ignore him then he comes back in a few minutes like nothing ever happened

he doesn't bite as much due be being told no and grabbing his scruff and removing him but he still sometimes tries to attack me when I exercise on the floor, he sits and stares while making an awful howling noise with his tail twitching and ears getting flatter

and like Eye's cat he does smack my rear end when I walk by and my husband thinks it hilarious

yet for his craziness he is a love, loves attention and lap sitting and sleeping next to you on the bed, if you roll on him he doesn't care

we have found that by playing when we see the crazy signs ie: attacking his tail or running around like a nut it helps his aggressiveness, he loves the lazer pointer and the toy mice at the end of a rope to toss around

shalomypony
Feb. 5, 2011, 06:22 PM
Which is why I'm a dog person. :winkgrin:

Precisely!!!!:yes:

ReeseTheBeast
Feb. 7, 2011, 06:51 AM
I used to own a cat that would hide in the bathroom cupboard, and then jump out and bite people in the behind when they sat on the toilet :eek: :lol:

Um, yikes! :eek: My kitty attacks my ankles when I leave for work in the morning....
My neighbors, however, must think I really hate my job, as I come out the door every morning yelling "No!" repeatedly :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: