PDA

View Full Version : Dog Friendly Hotel for Rolex?

Jan. 16, 2011, 11:44 AM
Can anyone recommend a dog friendly hotel (not scary) within reasonable distance of the horse park?

Thanks!

Bravestrom
Jan. 16, 2011, 12:19 PM
go here - there is a link to a pet free program

http://www.hotelfun4kids.com/intro.htm

mustangsal85
Jan. 16, 2011, 12:22 PM
This will be my second year staying at the Sleep Inn on Plaudit Pl. It's about 3 exits from the horse park and it's around tons of restaurants, etc. It's a little pricier though, plus pets are $25 and then another $15 if you have more than one. I don't think that's per night though. But the place is clean and doesn't smell like animals which so many pet friendly hotels do!

yellowbritches
Jan. 16, 2011, 01:02 PM
I stayed in a Microtel that is dog friendly, about 10-15 minutes from the horse park when I was there for Midsouth. I'm a big fan of Microtels. Cheap, but very clean and tidy. The rooms are small, but does that really matter when you're planning on spending the whole trip at a horse show (either riding or spectating!)? ;)

pharmgirl
Jan. 16, 2011, 04:57 PM
the Hampton Inn I-75 allowed pets a couple of years ago, so I assume they still do. Really comfy beds there, too!!

jn4jenny
Jan. 16, 2011, 05:01 PM
I stayed at the Georgetown Microtel for WEG and liked it well enough. The Red Roof Inn allows dogs as well.

Becky Rocky
Jan. 16, 2011, 07:47 PM
I've been to Rolex every year since 2004 and have brought dogs several times, La Quinta allows pets and is super close, I have also stayed at Residence Inn - further, but nice, the Sleep Inn was my least favorite - wouldn't recommend it because of the customers around you and the outside noise. I had my German Shepherd there in 2009, the last year that you could have your dog in the bleachers with you, they had special seats for people with pets and you had to buy a ticket for your dog. That year it was unusually hot and my dog is huge, but well behaved and somehow shrunk himself to fit into the small space allowed. Many people had 'yappy' or aggressive dogs - so the days where our dogs could sit with us are gone. Back in 2004 and 2005 you could just bring your dog in with you to your seat with the Equestrian Club tickets, at lunch time there was a line of dogs tied to the fence outside the tents - guess those days are gone too! I'm going this year and will sadly leave my buddy at home because they make it more and more difficult to bring your dog. I also put him in the Humane Society crates when I ate lunch in the tent etc., and it was like a dog pound of barking dogs, he just quietly looked at me like - you're really leaving me here?. The good ol' days were nice and pet friendly.

CookiePony
Jan. 16, 2011, 09:11 PM
We always stay at the La Quinta when we go to the KHP-- it is generally clean and bright, and very dog-friendly.

flypony74
Jan. 16, 2011, 09:57 PM
Red Roof Inn North. Not fancy but clean and pet-friendly.

katie+tru
Jan. 16, 2011, 10:07 PM
Here's a secret: Arrive at a motel where the rooms are all lined up with their own doors (think shedrow style) at 3AM, sign in at the office normally, go to your room, and quietly walk the doggie in. In the morning, quietly take doggie to back of the building for a potty break.

If they don't know you have a dog, they can't charge you for it/kick you out. ;)

Yes, it's somewhat evil.

JWB
Jan. 17, 2011, 11:23 AM
Our dog show crowd always supports the La Quintas. They are wonderful for people travelling with pets! There are the odd out outliers there, but in general, they are nice quality. We travel with four dogs and LQ is always our first choice, based on no/low pet fees, reasonable rates and good quality rooms.

We stayed at a Microtel this past weekend for a dog show and the dogs ended up sleeping in the van. Think cruise ship cabin - no room for crates and 4 dogs, 2 adults, 1 infant just won't fit.

Side note- As more and more hotels are banning dogs, it is getting harder to find places to stay with them. If you travel with your dog PLEASE
1)pick up your poop
2)don't leave your pet alone in your room while you go out to dinner. Noting will drive other guests crazy faster than listening to a whining/barking dog.
3)Be respectful of the pool, continental breakfast areas, etc. Dogs don't need to go there.