PDA

View Full Version : Saddle recommendations

twistoffate
Jan. 15, 2011, 11:58 AM
I need a jumping saddle.... Any suggestions? I've been using a Wintec AP and it's just not cutting it. I event through training level and would like something somewhat inexpensive (used is fine) but I don't even know where to start. My boy is narrow.

twistoffate
Jan. 15, 2011, 12:08 PM
I was thinking $1000 or less. Less being preferable.

WishIWereRiding
Jan. 15, 2011, 02:25 PM
Look around at used saddles. Sounds like you will need a narrow tree? I just got a very nice, used, Prestige Dover Jump saddle for $1050, excellent condition. They are out there, you just gotta look around.

ChaseTheDream
Jan. 15, 2011, 04:27 PM
i have a used stubben that i absolutly love.. it was only 600.. its the scandica close contact. they dont make them anymore. but the siegfred(sp) are great too. Good luck.. ebay was my best freind when i was looking for a new saddle

Becky Rocky
Jan. 15, 2011, 07:33 PM
I have to put a vote in for the mono-flap Toulouse. My daughter outgrew her Antares and is a leasing a horse until our coming three year old Hano is going, so we didn't want to buy a custom made saddle. We are very surprised with this saddle, for $999 new through Smart Pak you get a great saddle. I think you'd be very happy with it and appreciate the closeness to your horse.

scubed
Jan. 15, 2011, 07:36 PM
Look at www.classicsaddlery.com for some really well priced new saddles and definitely consider used

PuraVidaEventing
Jan. 15, 2011, 07:51 PM
I've got a bates I'm selling for $700 :) but honestly I hated that saddle every day I rode in it so I wouldnt recommend it. I've heard some good things about the m toulouse. But I'd definitely consider looking at used on eBay!

ens0613
Jan. 15, 2011, 08:48 PM
Ainsley Pro Nationals or Chesters are nice, relatively inexpensive saddles that are often used for eventing (and I've got one for sale ;)). New, they are about $1600, but you can often find a lightly used one for under $1000.

twistoffate
Jan. 15, 2011, 10:24 PM
I tried a m. toulouse. I liked the saddle but it was too wide... I've ridden in a couple of old stubbens and liked them but haven't found one to fit my boy that I like as well.

Thank you every one for the replies. Yes I need a narrow one.

tldickinson
Jan. 16, 2011, 01:01 PM
I have a 10 yr old (great condition) stubben seigfried vss I'm selling for 800, good saddle just doesn't fit my huge TB with a sharkfin. 17inches

Wordplay1832
Jan. 16, 2011, 02:54 PM
darn it i had a narrow saddle that I sold this summer (and am still owed a little money on....grr....I hate people sometimes). It was a thornhill germania, it just ended up being a little too narrow and didn't feel as good to me as a saddle I was riding another horse in. I ended up buying that saddle from its owner and had mine just sitting around. It was fairly comfortable, I had gotten it on ebay for fairly cheap, and I don't think they are bad new either. So you could try that!

maggini
Jan. 17, 2011, 12:19 AM
I evented through training in a Bates Caprilli CC. Loved the exchangeable gullet, it worked very well on my narrow TB. I would not recommend it if your horse is narrow with really big withers, though- I couldn't get a narrow enough gullet to make it not press down on my new horse's withers. I actually ended up going custom for him.

Pros are that it's extraordinarily comfortable, especially for all-day rides. I bought it 9 years ago and it's stood up very well. It's been a great saddle to grow with- I've used it for QH hunters, trail riding, lower level dressage, and show jumping/XC through training. The exchangeable gullet was a godsend when my horse had back issues and an ever-changing topline. It's very functional over fences and has never been a hinderance when jumping.

Cons are that the flap is not very big. I'm 5'7" with long femurs and my knee hangs over a bit if I have my stirrups set really short for XC. It may be a me-thing because my Schleese does the same thing, but I do like to get a bit a chair seat if I flat too often in it.

Stellar_moves
Jan. 17, 2011, 12:25 AM
Try the Dover Circuit saddle series. I have the Dover Circuit Elite EQ and I LOVE it! Comfortable, breaks in easily, beautiful, lasts a long time and they allow you to try them out before you buy them for free! I got mine on sale for around 800$. They always have them on sale for under 1,000(:

rideonbestrong
Jan. 17, 2011, 08:27 AM
To find the right saddle for you and your horse, I would try out many. Most tack shops will let you try out a saddle before buying. Are you boarding? - if so, can you try out other boarders saddles? Also, clinics are good places to sample saddles - I walked around the barns at a two-day clinic and asked to put saddles on my horse, not ride, to see the fit.

It took me a year to find the right fit for my wide guy - ended up with a BG (bruno delgrange) that fits him perfectly and is sooo comfortable.

sarah88
Jan. 17, 2011, 11:00 AM
I evented through training in a Bates Caprilli CC. Loved the exchangeable gullet, it worked very well on my narrow TB. I would not recommend it if your horse is narrow with really big withers, though- I couldn't get a narrow enough gullet to make it not press down on my new horse's withers. I actually ended up going custom for him.

Pros are that it's extraordinarily comfortable, especially for all-day rides. I bought it 9 years ago and it's stood up very well. It's been a great saddle to grow with- I've used it for QH hunters, trail riding, lower level dressage, and show jumping/XC through training. The exchangeable gullet was a godsend when my horse had back issues and an ever-changing topline. It's very functional over fences and has never been a hinderance when jumping.

Cons are that the flap is not very big. I'm 5'7" with long femurs and my knee hangs over a bit if I have my stirrups set really short for XC. It may be a me-thing because my Schleese does the same thing, but I do like to get a bit a chair seat if I flat too often in it.

I have that saddle in the forward/long flap and that is plenty big (im 5'8")

vineyridge
Jan. 17, 2011, 11:18 AM
Take a look at the used saddles at Rick's. They can have some quite wonderful bargains in older models that have been well cared for. I got an old Pariani from them for trial for only $350. Aged saddles are just good as good as new ones.

scubed
Jan. 17, 2011, 01:23 PM
Consider Berney Bros also. I evented through preliminary in mine and really liked it.

derby_queen
Jan. 17, 2011, 01:30 PM
I would look on Ebay and Craigslist. I always recommend Antares, but new they range from $3000 - $5000. I bought mine used for $2800 and I am never using any other saddle! Best saddle I've ever had. Highly recommend them.

Gilbo
Jan. 17, 2011, 03:01 PM
I recently got a Stubben Roxanne, and I LOVE it!! I would definitely recommend it, especially since you show up through training level. It has a more forward flap, but I've found it to work for flat work and jumping thus far. You can probably find a decent used one for around $1000, you just have to look. People seem to really like these, so when they go up for sale used, they go like hotcakes.:D

GreyGelding
Jan. 17, 2011, 03:08 PM
County Saddlery does a nice job with narrow and high-withered horses. Look around for some used ones online. But I would start with a County rep - they can fit both horse and you and might have some used/demo ones for less $, or may have some leads to some private sales...

I HATE saddle shopping! Good Luck!!!

vineyridge
Jan. 17, 2011, 03:21 PM
I loved a Stubben Roxane S. They come in many, many different tree widths and seat sizes, but I had to have mine immediately restuffed (free) because, though the tree width was right, it didn't quite fit a slab sided TB.

You'd love a Roxane, too, I think. If you can get a used one reasonably and tree and seat fit, you can have it restuffed easily.

JWB
Jan. 18, 2011, 12:00 PM
I love my M. Toulouse BUT my horse is very wide, as was my last horse. Previously I had a Thoroughbred Event Saddle??? that I stumbled on. It was narrow.

Check out www.usedsaddles.com. Because narrow saddles are generally not as popular, you can get a steal on some! They're just harder to resell. I think I sold my narrow saddle for $350, even though it was in beautiful condition.

Just a quick glance through...
http://www.usedsaddles.com/product.htm?id=097roht7 Crosby Cross Country Event - $495

http://www.usedsaddles.com/product.htm?id=aaolqs0i HDR Event - $795

http://www.usedsaddles.com/product.htm?id=0q5ix3wn Ovation 4-Star Event - $985

http://www.usedsaddles.com/product.htm?id=p4phcxd7 Passier Precision - $1195

http://www.usedsaddles.com/product.htm?id=82v98t4e
Pessoa Legacy - $995

twistoffate
Jan. 19, 2011, 08:08 PM
Thank you all so much for all the suggestions. There is a saddle fitter coming this weekend so hopefully I can have a better idea of what Trey and I both need then I can narrow my search. Just getting started on my search UGH! Thanks again! :)

sarah88
Jan. 19, 2011, 08:16 PM
I have heard good things about the ovation 4 star event saddle as was mentioned above. I have a Bates that i like ok, but have to agree with the other poster (i think it was on this thread?) who thougth they had a tendency to put you in a 'chair seat'. I probably would not but one again...