PDA

View Full Version : Monthly boarding costs?

VAevent
Jan. 15, 2011, 08:15 AM
What does it cost you to board your horse (full board with turnout)? I pay $650/month at an eventing barn in Virginia...and in this area, that's pretty reasonable. But on another thread, a COTH'r reports paying $275 (in Nashville, I think). I suspect board costs vary with geography, but am interested in what others are paying.

Ajierene
Jan. 15, 2011, 09:24 AM
I currently pay $200/month for pasture board. There are a few trails and a nice outdoor ring, but no lights.

Where she is going to foal out will probably be about $450/month. Indoor may or may not be up by then, the stalls are 12X14, she will have private turnout.

Where is is going after that is $260/month for self care, which will be a stall (12X12) and a paddock for her. There are two stalls that open to private fields and she agreed that I can have one of those. It will be about $150/month in straw, hay and grain. Part of self care is me cleaning the stall, but them feeding every day. Full care there is, I think $525/month. Direct access to Fair Hill and a nice outdoor arena, but no lights.

There is a place up the street that is $400/month. It has an indoor and outdoor arena, but only one field for everyone, which I don't like as much.

DefyingGravityEventing
Jan. 15, 2011, 09:27 AM
Where I am full care board is 690 a month. There is a place down the road for 600 a month with pretty comparable facilities - indoor, outdoor, heated tackroom, xc schooling, plenty of hacking. My boys live outside most of the time but they do have a stall in case the weather turns for the worse, and that is 550 a month. We are in Northern Baltimore County

*Trinity*
Jan. 15, 2011, 09:29 AM
We're located in SouthWestern Ontario and charge $450/month. Includes 14x12 box stall, 10 hour turnout on grazing pasture (3 board fencing with electric), 2x/day grain, 4x/day hay, blankets and boots on/off, 70x170 indoor arena, fenced outdoor arena, trails with safe creek crossing, lower level XC course. We do charge for extra care (ie, special grain or hay cubes) and boarders have the option to be on our deworming program or buy it themselves. If they choose to buy/deworm themselves, it must be done with the same drug on the same day. We charge $20 for horses under 1200 lbs, $30 for horses over 1200 lbs. We also charge for holding horses for the vet/farrier and arranging appointments if they get lazy and let their horse's feet or vaccines get overdue.

mg
Jan. 15, 2011, 09:39 AM
Southern Maine and I'm pay $650/month (it's $600 for boarders who are in the lesson program). This includes ~8 hour individual or group turnout (weather permitting, but the BO really likes to get the horses out if absolutely possible. drizzles don't keep them inside), a nicely bedded 10x10 box stall with mats and two water buckets, 4x/day high quality hay, 2x/day graining (a third graining is available if you desire), blanketing/booting/fly gear, access to an indoor arena and outdoor arena, both with jump equipment, and a heated tackroom/bathroom.

This is the standard rate for my area if you want an indoor. Prices vary a little, but not a ton. When I lived in central Maine, I paid $550 for the same sort of services (only with stall mattresses! love!).

eponacowgirl
Jan. 15, 2011, 10:09 AM
But on another thread, a COTH'r reports paying $275 (in Nashville, I think).

That was me- $275 is pasture board, we charge $425 for full care stall board, with no arena. It will be $300 and $450 when the arena is open. Top notch facility aside from the lack of arena.

I know that pricing in the NW suburbs of Chicago is similar to the board here in Nashville.

You're hard pressed here to find board at anything but the crappiest facility for less than what we charge.

TSHEventing
Jan. 15, 2011, 10:49 AM
I have my own place and don't really board commercially, but I charge $275 pasture board with minimum 20lbs peanut hay and buckeye feeds. I seed 2x a year and soil test so I have grass year round. I have a large jump field and flat grassed area for flat work, but working on arena. Wash rack and tackroom and two stalls if needed. 'm in NE florida.

wsmoak
Jan. 15, 2011, 10:54 AM
Fancy eventing facility was $615 including use of arenas, stadium jumps, cross country course, 14x14 stall and daily turnout (but 9-3 was considered "all day"). $1 extra per flake if you wanted T&A hay in addition to the mixed grass they bale from their own fields.

$300-ish for mostly field board (stalls available for bad weather and separate feeding) with lots of trails but no arena.

shawneeAcres
Jan. 15, 2011, 11:01 AM
I board here at my farm, smaller farm with small lesson/show program, we do hunters, dressage and some eventing. My full stall board is currently $325 which includes turnout daily, stalls picked daily, twice daily hay and grain, holding for farrier/vet, change of blankets twice daily, feed owner provided supplements, can park a trailer if needed. My pasture board is currently $250 and includes all of the above without the stalls. We have a 250 x 140 sand arena, during spring, summer and fall we have a dressage arena setup, but not in winter, outside of the sand arena, but put in the sand arena for shows. We have hacking paths, but not "trails" exactly. Also a 60' round pen. I am considering an indoor, and if so, board will likely go up $100 per month

belleellis
Jan. 15, 2011, 11:05 AM
On the west side of Charlotte NC $275 for a large stall (16X14) with nice turnout. The barn is older but kept up. Small group turnout in decent pastures with safe fencing. We have a little bitty indoor - as in I use it to let my horse stretch his legs in the winter when the weather is bad. (large pony can barely trot in it). H/C wash stall indoors and outdoors. Lights in the ring. A roundpen. 10 minutes from my house. Backs up to a nature conservatory, you can ride all day. I can ride him 5 minutes and be at the dressage trainers barn. The BM is good to work with you on stuff. Everyone gets along ok and helps out. You can bring a trainer in, no barn trainer. Trailer parking but it is tight (a couple of ladies make their husbands park). Feed 2x per day/Grass hay only.
The bad. Owner/BM not on premises. Footing in the ring sucks 7 times out of 10. It does not drain so any wet weather it stays wet for a while. Then in the summer it is hard as a rock. (I do a lot of trail riding then but still it is annoying when you have sent in your entry and then it rains all week). It is in the works to do something with the ring but it has not happened yet. I have an easy easy keeper but still wish they would feed just a flake or 2 more hay in the winter. (this is my first winter there - I am going to see if I can pay a little more when he comes back from the trainers for a little extra hay for him). If you put the jumps up in the ring you have to take them down for the 2 DQs. Also all the jumps either I made or another boarder. We trend to keep them set up in the grassy area around the ring and that has limited space.
Down the road at the professional barn which is nicer than my house....auto waters, stall mattresses, HUGE covered ring, all weather outdoor ring, also backs up to nature conservatory, hay in front of them all the time, owner/trainer and BM on premises $600-$650. I think this is the top end for my side of Charlotte.

We have two so board price is a big consideration for us. We did have 3 but our retired girl went to live at the professional barn mentioned above and is teaching the ropes to the BO/Trainers 63 yr old MIL. We laugh that the retired horse is all dont blow my cover coming down here!

Other places around go for $200 - $250 for pasture board. $300 - $450 is the norm for stall board with turnout and some sort of ring/trails/wash stall. I am not sure what is around the other sides of Charlotte as I refuse to drive far to see my horse.

Trak_Eventer
Jan. 15, 2011, 11:17 AM
Back in the midwest (Kansas City area) I paid $450/month for full care. Though I did buy by own grain. Now that I am in school in Georgia I am paying $800/month! Though I am at the only barn in the area with an indoor which I have been very thankful for several times. I was shocked at the differences! When I was looking at barns to board at here most were at least $650.

LoveLongManes
Jan. 15, 2011, 11:33 AM
I board a few horses and charge $250 per month for full care. It includes a good sized stall, grain fed 2x a day and hay fed at least 4x a day, a lighted outdoor and a round pen for training, a few trails and nearby access to miles of groomed public trails, jumps available for use, and a small cross country course that we are starting to build. The horses are turned out to pasture for the day (except in the worst weather) and brought in at night. Most of our horses aren't blanketed but we will take care of blankets if the boarder wants it.

This seems to be the going rate in the area; it's cheaper at some places if you provide your own hay/grain or do you own work. Places with an indoor run about $400 per month but they are few and far between.

Perfect Pony
Jan. 15, 2011, 11:40 AM
In the hills Just East of San Francisco I pay $765 for a stall/run and turnout 5x a week for 2 hours a day. They will feed bagged supplements at lunchtime free of charge. Everything else is extra. My mare is nearly 3 hours away living rough on a pasture for $225/month, and this is literally the ONLY semi-safe pasture board I could find within 3 hours of me for less than $350/month.

I find myself dreaming about getting the F out of California almost daily. The hard part is divorcing someone I really have no other reason to divorce other than the location I am forced to live in. But I never thought the horse habit would get so much more expensive so quickly.

lazydaisyd
Jan. 15, 2011, 11:53 AM
That was me- $275 is pasture board, we charge $425 for full care stall board, with no arena. It will be $300 and $450 when the arena is open. Top notch facility aside from the lack of arena.

I know that pricing in the NW suburbs of Chicago is similar to the board here in Nashville.

You're hard pressed here to find board at anything but the crappiest facility for less than what we charge.

Yeah, that's a great deal for Nashville, IMHO. I pay $400 for stall board, with no arena, and I'm about an hour and a half southeast of you. Top-notch care & private farm, though.

cleozowner
Jan. 15, 2011, 12:05 PM
In the Ithaca area I'm paying $475 + tax (comes to $513) for full board...10 x 12 stall, 2x grain/supplements if provided, hay multiple times/day. We have an indoor arena, an outdoor jump field, and some trails. The people are great, and the price is one of the most reasonable around.

sarah88
Jan. 15, 2011, 12:13 PM
I have my guys at my house, but have boarded in the past central VA. 450 for one 500 the other very similar. Indoor w/ lights, outdoor w/ lights decent turnout 1/2 the day. one cleaned stalls 3x day when in.. wash racks hot/cold water. the 450 had trails the 500 didn't.

mustangsal85
Jan. 15, 2011, 01:37 PM
$450 for stall with a run/limited turnout, $425 for stall with no run and 6 days of turnout. Large, newer facility, large canvas roofed barns and indoor arena, owner lives in premise and his father lives 1 mile away, large outdoor arena with lights, access to trails, 20 min from my house but rather centrally located. Onsite H/J trainer, Western and beginner trainers.

This is less than most of the other barns in the area that are H/J focused. Not that this place is necessarily H/J focused but you get the idea. It's a very nice place and I love it. At the barn that I grew up at, board was $700 full care and "turnout" in a run that had chatt (sp?) and no grass turnout to be found unless you walked across the street to the park to hand graze. That being said though, state of the art facility in every other sense of the word. I'd say $600-700 is more avg for a competition barn in my area.

St. Louis MO

retreadeventer
Jan. 15, 2011, 02:41 PM
I'm in Delaware, close to VA/MD/PA, but far enough off the beaten path to be a bit cheaper than those prices already posted; I charge $400 for full board, with a stall (rubber mat, shavings bedding), daily turnout, grass when in season (my pastures and paddocks are no smaller than 1 acre each), and grain/hay twice a day.

I feed any kind of grain or hay wanted, pretty much --I have my own grass hay, orchard grass hay, and alfalfa hay. I feed senior feed, Southern States, a local mixed grain which is very comparable to Purina, Triple Crown, soaked shredded beet pulp, etc., and any provided supplements.

I have a small track (1/4-mile) and sand outdoor arena (jumps) and in winter I hack in a 4 acre field. We are all level ground and have to haul out for hills though. I can have an ICP Level 3 instructor here if anyone wants excellent instruction and we are close (within 2 hours haul) to foxhunting, Fair Hill, and over 30 USEA events, and 4 very good XC schooling courses. No indoor nearby that is worth schooling in -- that's the drawback. The best indoor for riding is about 50 minutes away.

For $400 I also trim barefoot horses, deworm, blanket/unblanket, groom/bathe/clip once a week or as needed. It is above the going rate in my area but I do good care and have had several boarders that have been here for over 3 years, and horses that come back, too. Most of the "field" board situations around here are pastures with round bales and are much cheaper -- and thus I get people who wonder why I "charge so much more". I don't make hardly anything when you figure in my time, especially in winter. There is a big difference in caring for horses at least semi-properly, and just doing the minimal amount to keep the horse alive and walking around, in my opinion.

asterix
Jan. 15, 2011, 03:26 PM
It's always interesting to hear about the variation in costs and what is provided.

I pay $350 for field board. Some of the field boarders think this is expensive.
(although none of them have moved....).

I don't because as an active competitor I have almost everything I need. Fields are very well maintained and beyond spacious for the herd. They are also hilly enough for good conditioning right on site.
Staff is terrific, knowledgeable and reliable, longterm. BO knows everything there is to know about managing a farm and horses. We have a big indoor, a big jump ring outside, and another outdoor ring with lights and footing that resists freezing. We have a cross country course, and a new dressage pad with all weather footing. We back up to a state park with miles of trails. We have a **** trainer if you can get on her schedule, have 2 FEI dressage instructors who come on a regular basis, and easy access to all kinds of great trainers in the immediate area.

They do run an active lesson program so indoor space is limited during the winter in evenings on weekends, but I can work around that so it's ok with me.

wildlifer
Jan. 15, 2011, 05:05 PM
It varies VASTLY by region. Here, I pay $350 for full board at a private farm. All weather footing with lights and jump field and a truly lovely place kept in tip top shape at all times. My horse is finally OUT all the time, just coming in to eat or really nasty weather, thank goodness. Backs up to miles of trails.

PuraVidaEventing
Jan. 15, 2011, 05:28 PM
In Montana I was at 2 full care facilities with nice indoors, an outdoor, 1 with slightly run down facilities no stalls no turnout just pens, and 1 with pasture board w a stall or pens.
Run down facility was around 300 a month.
Nicer facility 420 but included 3 lessons ($45 each). So they were actually almost the dame price...
Then in Seattle area I was at a super nice barn, indoor with lights and super footing, outdoor with lots of jumps and great footing, 12 hours per day turnout alone, full care for 700 a month.
Then in southern California (temecula) I was at a barn with a huge outdoor , half jumps half dressage court, 12 hour turnout in groups, full care for $500 a month.
Seattle and southern Cali barns both had upper level (3 star in Seattle 4 star in temecula) on site, running the facility and giving lessons. Temecula barn brought in clinicians and amazing dressage trainers often.

mkevent
Jan. 15, 2011, 05:31 PM
I charge $400/month plus NJ sales tax (total $428/month). This is a fair price in my area, but I only do retirees.

I feed 3X/daily, hay 4X/daily @ 2% body weight in winter. Grain is either Strategy or Purina Senior. I add MSM and Cocasoya to grain at no extra charge. Supplements added no charge, blanketing (I supply and launder), holding for farm vet, farrier all included. I groom weekly and pick hooves 2-3X/week. In the summer I provide fly sheets and fly leggings.

If I weren't doing retirees, this would be a really good deal in my area for a farm with great care but no indoor. Since I only do retirees, I've added more in extra care to compensate for it being pricier. Like retread said, the field board situations are much less, but then you tend to get what you pay for.

ThirdCharm
Jan. 15, 2011, 06:49 PM
Active eventing barn 30 minutes from downtown Charlotte:
$400 for full-care stall board, including worming, fans in summer, blankets in winter, supplements fed as provided by owner, quality grain (currently feeding Nutrena, but Triple Crown & Purina also available), pretty much free choice grass hay, alfalfa and beet pulp as needed. Thirteen 12x12 matted stalls cleaned daily, hot/cold wash stall, tack room, heated bathroom/storage area, apartment above the barn nearly completed. Wood perimeter fencing, 2" hot-tape cross-fencing gradually being replaced with wood. Small turnout groups--not a lot of grass, but plenty of hay, and we keep the mud to a minimum with gravel, screenings, and a Bobcat! Lighted outdoor arena with all-weather footing, grass showjumping field. Cross-country fences in pastures. Fields and woods for trailriding within a very short hack. BO/Trainer/2 Farriers on premises. Hauling available to shows and cross-country schools regularly.

Pasture board is $250, everything except a stall.

Jennifer

Beam Me Up
Jan. 15, 2011, 06:54 PM
In NoVA I paid 300/mo for stall, turn-out (12 hrs/day each), hay/feed an outdoor arena and jump field. It was on the rustic side, not really event/competition focused, but a bargain.

I have my horses at home now, and it costs me almost that much to keep them here (I feed them more and fancier feed/hay though), but I miss that arena. A lot.

Kementari
Jan. 15, 2011, 07:17 PM
$300/month plus grain (runs me an extra $40 or so for my girl and about $100 for the retiree - but it's my choice to feed the nice, expensive feeds!) for full board at a small private/backyard sort of place (7 horses - and one goat :winkgrin: ). 12x12 matted stalls with 12x24 run-outs, NICE hay 2-3x daily (plus your own grain/supps fed), locked tack room, heated wash stall, covered arena, round pen, pastures with nice grass (have to do your own turnout, but since it's only 5 min away that works, and we all work together to get all the horses out every day when the weather is good)... Blanketing isn't really included, but if I'm in a bind I can call the BO and she'll blanket/unblanket occasionally - plus we have a tight-knit group, and will take care of each other's horses, too, when someone can't make it out. There isn't a trainer on site (and I'm viewed as a bit of an exotic creature, as an eventer :lol:), but I can bring someone in or, of course, haul out.

I was paying the same for pasture board with good care but essentially no extras or amenities (not even an arena) in New Hampshire - and it was the cheapest place in the area. :eek:

I really like the backyard places best, because I find the best individual care and lack of barn drama. :yes:

yellowbritches
Jan. 15, 2011, 07:24 PM
We are in MD in the DC Metro area (so, same-ish market as NOVA, etc). Our board is $695 for our big barn and $495 for our smaller barn (same care, same sized stalls, but a bit more rustic). Three grain meals a day (though, considering the immense planning I'm going into for our the return of our very ill horse, I'll feed a horse as much as it needs! Planning on five meals for him once he gets home), really quality grain and hay, great care, lots of turn out, BEAUTIFUL indoor, lots, and lots of hacking, etc, etc, etc. I think our board is a little more on the reasonable side for our area, but certain circumstances allow us to be a little more reasonable. Lessons/training are not included, but are "required". We specialize in eventers, so we require lessons or training to kinda keep everyone on the same page.

FineDesign08
Jan. 15, 2011, 08:40 PM
I own my own small boarding facility. I charge $275.00/month. This is for full care board which includes a 12x12 stall, daily turn out, an indoor and outdoor riding arena. I feel as though we offer the things that the bigger barns offer, but at a more affordable price. I am near St. Louis, MO.

ctab
Jan. 15, 2011, 09:23 PM
Long Island, NY
Cheap would be, backyard barn, no indoor, small ring, usually 8-24 hr T/O in an small dirt paddock or in/out, almost always on or close to trails, about 1 or more hrs from NYC = @$600
Me I board at large facility, 13 acres, 100+ plus horses, indoor the size of a large dressage arena, outdoor jump ring, flat/beginner ring, dressage ring, 1/4 mile track, 3-6 hrs daily T/O in dirt paddocks no bigger that 1/4 acre, walk down street to trails, BO/BM on premises, blankets/ boots on/off, hay 3x daily, grain 2-3x daily, multiple trainers on premises $815. Higher for grass turnout in summer months only. More for hay cubes, Senior or equivalent grain and for more than 3 flakes a feeding. Unusual for area: no charge for holding for vet, farrier, minor meds etc. free trailer parking, no ring fee for in house lessons. Similar facilities are about $100 either end depending on distance from NYC but usually add on things that the place I board at does not like ring fees (going rate is $10-$15), holding for vet etc..
Fancy upper tier facility usually has full care board and usually must train with in house trainer runs about $2000-$2500. Plus extras like meds, holding for vet, trailer parking, ring fees etc.

Mukluk
Jan. 15, 2011, 09:31 PM
Central Coast CA. $240/month for pasture board (small pasture) including small shelter which I have never observed Marsey to be in. Outdoor arena with jumps (only allowed to jump if in a lesson) covered dressage arena with lights. Access to trails but with all the rain the river bed has become a river so that limits the trail access if you aren't planning to trailer.
Other barn was pasture for $175 nice big arena- but no lights. No jumps- will have to build my own- but that's OK- you can do whatever you want there including jumping whenever the F you feel like it. Huge pasture- no shelter but lots of Oak trees. Down the road from a trainer who has tons of jumps and xc fences. Will be moving back to the $175 place as soon as the days are longer and we don't need blanketing and unblanketing ( $1.00 per change at current place - not offered at the other -place).
I can't imagine keeping my active athletic girl in a non pasture situation. She loves to buck, run, and play!!!

GiGi
Jan. 15, 2011, 09:56 PM
I am in North Atlanta. I have a nice high end barn that stays cool in the summer and warm in the winter with a large covered arena plus a jumping arena and a flatwork arena both outside. We have large pastures and up to 7 hrs turnout with hills, trees and GRASS.
Partial board is $400 you clean daily and provide feed and buy the hay you want from the barn. (hay choices good and priced better than feed stores)
Semi Partial board $505 barn cleans your stalls; you provide feed and hay
Full Board $650 they do it all but you use their choice of feed and hay and the amounts they dictate.
Most barns in the region are $550-$1200 for full board depending on the quality of feed/hay and the barn amenities.
My pony is on the NorthEast side of Atlanta with an indoor, dirt paddocks for turnout 10 hrs a day weather permitting and board is $800 for full board. Thankfully he is there on a free lease to their lesson program.

JWB
Jan. 15, 2011, 10:16 PM
Board is all over the place here. In my town there are full board barns (not pasture) ranging from $450-$1200 per month. Only the very expensive barn has a covered arena (we don't really need them around here - just lights).

That said, in the town 40 minutes north of us, you can find full board WITH a covered area for $400 per month (I know of two barns) and standard board, with no arena for around $300.

I pay $800 per month for full training board (stall cleaning, shavings, feed, turn out, blanketing, 3-4 rides per week by my coach & a lesson for me) and consider it one HECK of a good deal... Of course I was on a waiting list for four months to get into my barn! We don't have a covered arena, or even lights for that matter but we have miles of trails. My trainer is not "big name" but she has brought several horses up to advanced, and is an amazing dressage rider as well. Full board (no training rides or lessons) would be $500 per month.

ohrebecca
Jan. 15, 2011, 11:15 PM
I pay $225 for pasture board; no indoor, just an outdoor with lights, and lots of trails/fields to ride in. My horse is blanketed/unblanketed as needed (provided my blanket is clean and available!), and my BO will hold for farrier/vet.

My last facility was $450 for full board, but Gabby lived outside 98% of the time with the option of staying in at night if she wanted to (I can think of maybe four times when she wanted to!). Indoor, outdoor, no trails. I actually paid $200 a month and worked off $250 in feeding/stalls, but it got to be too much for me while I was taking classes and working my other job, so I moved her.

Both facilities have their ups and downs and ins and outs! Gabby has the winter off mostly (a few bareback jaunts here and there and that's it) so I don't really miss the indoor arena (well... maybe a little).

Both are located about 45 minutes from my house, so there wasn't much decision to make when I was trying to decide whether to sell my horse or quit the barn job and move her to a cheaper place. Yeah, just kidding, selling her was never an option!

Stellar_moves
Jan. 15, 2011, 11:21 PM
I pay 575$ a month which includes 4 free lessons, feed, hay, water, the basics. From what I have heard (from other friends) that my barn has some of the cheaper prices of other aqha barns that I have heard of. My trainers charged 4500 for a whole summer of hauling to Texas, (back and fourth within Texas for a whole month) and to Oklahoma city, then back to southern Florida. I know of a barn that charged 5000 to haul to Ohio when they lived in new York. I suppose it all just depends on your location(:

kchfuller
Jan. 15, 2011, 11:38 PM
Pasture with 3 sided shelter $325

Mare Motel type stall (10x15) with a paddock (12x16) is $400- This is where my horse is and i LOVE it.

Box Stall (12x12) $565

Box Stall (12x12) and paddock (12x12) $625

We have 2 outside arenas, 1 indoor, 2 LARGE round arenas, 1 round pen, about 12 turn outs and lots of property to "trail ride" on.

Feed 2x a day, stalls cleaned 1x a day. I believe you can pay for grain and blanketing but I do both myself as I live about 5 miles from the barn :)

Oh and I am located in CA.

olympicdreams04
Jan. 16, 2011, 12:22 AM
In Lexington, KY, we charge $250 for full care pasture with grain 2x daily and free choice hay. Most of the pastures are 5-10 acres and have run-ins. Full care stall is $500 inc turnout. Self care pasture is $100, boarders split hay cost and self care stall is $250. We have a large indoor and outdoor with a full course of jumps, lots of room to hack, XC course, and top class training available.

Credosporthorses
Jan. 16, 2011, 12:59 AM
I'm in western Washington and currently pay 750 for a 12x12 or there is also the option of a 10x11 for 700. This includes all the feeding holding for vet, shoes ext... We have a lighted indoor and a nice BIG outdoor and access to tons of trails in the park.

netg
Jan. 16, 2011, 01:33 AM
I'm at one of the more expensive barns in town, most likely, though definitely not THE most expensive. We pay for each thing separately beyond standard board, 12x24 pen cleaned daily and up to 10 lbs. alfalfa fed daily.

There are few pastures out here, and therefore little turnout. We could pay for 30 minutes turnout, but instead I turn him out myself (no charge) and can put boots on him. With that little turnout he gets goofy and with his athleticism his ability to injure himself is also heightened. We've shredded some bell boots lately.

I pay for extra shavings and bermuda hay, and total per horse comes out to $310. I could pay more for blanketing ($25-ish) but my trainer's students work out a rotation. My trainer feeds grain at lunch time for us.

2 jumping arenas, one large fenced arena, one 20x40 dressage arena, 3 round pens of varying sizes, and there are two small pastures - lead your horse out there by hand and it's free, want your horse turned out in it and you pay. There are trails around the property as well as washes/trails off the back of the property, but x-country schooling has to happen elsewhere. There's one place to school in riding distance, otherwise it takes trailering.

EventingJ
Jan. 16, 2011, 01:45 AM
$350 for me. Smallish barn, love the BO, free rein to do what I'd like including bringing in an outside trainer for lessons. No XC, but there are a couple trails. 2 large outdoors (usually use one for jumps and one for flat/dressage) with lovely footing. One indoor on the smallish side (about the size of small dressage ring) but to me thats fine. No drama - BO cares for your horse like it's hers. Feeds 2x a day with supplements, if provided, hay 2x a day, turnout as weather permits - 24x7 when possible. My 2 bff's (and DH and my friend's fiancée) and I more or less made all our fences (I hope to make more this year!) but the BO provided the wood and paint.

There are only a couple things I'd want to have - a bathroom (theres currently at least a portipotty so I shouldn't complain), and hot water.

I am lucky enough though, in the winter I have a trainer come to me, and in the summer I truck out to another trainer and use first trainer for xc schoolings/occasional lesson at home. I really prefer to be at a smaller place, I don't want to deal with drama or a lot of people - i love my "family".

Sansena
Jan. 16, 2011, 06:43 AM
Fairfield County CT

2 outdoor arenas, 1 indoor (small-ish), 2 indoor wash stalls, 3 heated tack rooms, 4+ hour t/o w/boots & specific blankets, mucking/ rebedding. blanket changes, constant hay, choice of 3 different Nutrena grains + admin. meds or supplements, light doctoring (cold hosing, wrapping, etc.), night check, all included: $1,200/ mo

Training board is more.. unsure of specifics: around $1,700/ mo. Full Service where one schedules tack ups, including tack cleaning, daily grooming, monthly whisker whacks/ mane pulls, etc. is more than the $1,200 base price as well... unsure of specifics.

Primarily an H/J facility..

idtogo
Jan. 16, 2011, 09:58 AM
I'm on the north shore of massachusetts. I currently pay $860/ month in a top notch facility with a beautifully footed large indoor. Hay fed 4 times daily, grain 2-3 times (depending on needs) . Half day individual turnout (but generally in all weather...they are not wimpy about snow and rain here). Stalls are cleaned twice daily, warm water in the wash stalls year round, blankets as needed and turnout boots as needed...

Fairview Horse Center
Jan. 16, 2011, 10:05 AM
We are in Northern Virginia, full care with stall and daily turnout, outdoor lighted arena with jumps. Board is $375/month

We are not really a show barn, but some of our people do show - Dressage, Hunters, and Eventing, also Foxhunt.

purplnurpl
Jan. 16, 2011, 05:18 PM
I board here at my farm, smaller farm with small lesson/show program, we do hunters, dressage and some eventing. My full stall board is currently $325 which includes turnout daily, stalls picked daily, twice daily hay and grain, holding for farrier/vet, change of blankets twice daily, feed owner provided supplements, can park a trailer if needed. My pasture board is currently $250 and includes all of the above without the stalls. We have a 250 x 140 sand arena, during spring, summer and fall we have a dressage arena setup, but not in winter, outside of the sand arena, but put in the sand arena for shows. We have hacking paths, but not "trails" exactly. Also a 60' round pen. I am considering an indoor, and if so, board will likely go up $100 per month

I'm pretty sure my horse costs me close to 200 bucks or more in FEED alone every month! then add on bedding for his stall and labor.
yikes. $325 is a crazy good deal.

In DFW, TX, full care with indoors are $650 +. This is with minimal turn out

Kodidog763
Jan. 16, 2011, 05:33 PM
Currently for my three:
$600 p/month for full care, heated indoor arena, 12 x 12 stall in insulated barn, outdoor arena, semi-private turnout (with 1 other horse)
$450 p/month for full care, indoor arena (not insulated or heated), 12 x 12 stall in unheated, uninsulated barn, outdoor arena, small group turn-out (3 other horses)
$450 p/month at same barn as above, except gelding has private paddock at night (no stall) and a private shelter. During the day he is turned out with 2 other geldings.

I am moving them over the course of the next couple of months to a private farm:
$325 p/month for full care, insulated indoor arena, 12 x 12 stall in insulated barn, and group turnout (total of 4 horses)
$175 for gelding with no stall, just a shelter

anchodavis
Jan. 16, 2011, 06:03 PM
Around Ann Arbor, Michigan, it's all over the place - you can find a backyard pasture board place with not much place to ride for $150, or decent pasture board for $250 to $300. For full board at a nice facility with an indoor, good footing, etc., it's likely to be $500-$700. The dressage barn down the road from me - nicer than my house! - is $650 plus fees, and includes 6-8 hours of turnout a day. I board at my neighbor's place in winter, two doors down from me and a 10-min. walk, for $350 a month. Very well kept old gambrel roof barn adapted for horses, tack room with heat, nice indoor right near the barn, 70x135 I think, with good footing and excellent lighting. Then in March or April I bring the kids home til Xmas or so. :D

KBG Eventer
Jan. 16, 2011, 06:55 PM
$475 for Full Care in West TN
12x12 stalls w/ mats and big window
Big outdoor arena, good footing, lights, nice jumps
10+ hours of turnout
2-3x day grain, will feed whatever grain you want
2x day hay winter/3x day hay summer
Blanketing, flyspray, boots, etc
Can bring in your own vet and farrier or use the barn's

Just overall really great care and people, no drama, and the whole place is well built/thought out and maintained.

JFCeventer
Jan. 16, 2011, 07:36 PM
We pay $250 a month in southern Connecticut. Any grain you want is included. Hay and shavings are not. Purchasing our own hay and shavings is about $150 a month so it's about $400 per month.

The barn is responsible for turning out and bringing in the horses and feeding 2x a day. Boarders do everything else. We muck, change our own blankets, etc. It is only a six stall barn with a pretty decent sized outdoor with engineered footing (although it could use a load of sand right about now...) and lights. There is a 1/8th mile hilly "loop" that goes around a grass field that we can turn the horses out in when we are there (it is only a small grass field that one horse can be in at a time. We take turns putting horses out there for an hour or two a few times a week because the regular paddocks are dirt) We use the "loop" for conditioning.

There are a couple portable cross country fences that we can use (coop, bench, and a not-so-portable log) and there is a small bank and ditch in the works. The boarders purchase their own jumps and are generous enough to allow everybody to share them. There is access to a network of nice trails and there is actually a trail to a nearby eventing barn that I lesson at which is conveinent and prevents us from having to pull out the trailer twice a week.

Each horse has their own individual dirt paddock that is big enough to run and play but not overly huge. The owner lives on premises. There is also an outdoor wash stall with cold water only and a tack room with large lockers for each of the boarders and a refrigerator/freezer for the boarders to use.

Almost Heaven
Jan. 16, 2011, 08:18 PM
Based on my actual costs, MINIMUM full care is $55/month each for bedding, grain, and hay. That includes no labor, facility, insurance, or other costs. Those of you who are getting stalls at $250/month should feel guilty.

Based on experience, including recent discussions at the Arizona USEA meeting, we should all recognize that boarding is a losing proposition for the BO's. Enjoy while it continues.

RSEventer
Jan. 16, 2011, 11:02 PM
Used to pay $650/month and $400 for training board on top of that. This was for an urban barn with 2 hours of turnout daily for horse. Barn was 10 minutes from my job- that was very important.
Now, I board out in the country and the savings is significant, plus the horses get lots of turnout...which I think is a more natural, comfortable way for the horse to live.
I pay $425/month for stall board and $300 more for training on top of that. I do not get out to ride or see the horse as much as I would like: it's 1.5 hour drive from home.... but right now, it's a good situation for a new horse who I want to be well-trained.

Samantha37
Jan. 17, 2011, 09:10 AM
I am in central VA and I pay $475 for full board. I LOVE my boarding facility and barn owners. There is no drama, the barn owners are very competent and laid back. The facilities are really nice and they are constantly improving them. There is a covered ring with lights and an outdoor arena with lights. They have a lot of jumps and the courses are changed fairly frequently (I also set up grids every few weeks). The horses are turned out in small groups in decent size fields. There isn't much grass but they throw hay while the horses are turned out. If the weather is bad, they don't go out. There are limited trails and some xc jumps- they are working on getting more as well.

The barn owners have been amazing in working with me on getting the right combination of grain for my horse. They started buying an additional 25% fat supplement when I suggested it and have 3 horses now on it, including mine. The horses are fed 2x daily and get hay while turned out and inside. Blanketing is included and my barn owner is excellent in taking care of minor wounds. My horse gets cut up all the time (through no fault but his own. He is a boob ;D) and she is always on top of it.

The farm's website is www.noworriesfarm.net. I cannot say enough good things about this place!

Oh, and did I mention

paintmare
Jan. 17, 2011, 09:16 AM
Mine are about 20 minutes outside of Buffalo, NY and I pay $175/month for full care, grain not included so I purchase my own. This is a smaller farm (10 stalls) with about 9 paddocks/pastures (there's 2 sacrifice paddocks for crappy weather, then each herd rotates 3 pastures when the ground dries up). There's a 100x200 sand ring that's rideable unless its either frozen or 4 ft of snow, lol. Love my barn, it's the safest place I've ever kept my horses.

LAZ
Jan. 17, 2011, 11:24 AM
I charge $475/month with a $50 discount for paying by the 3rd, so $425 (sneaky way of getting people to pay on time).

This includes grain 2X day, excellent hay when they're in, 1st cutting of same hay field round baled in the fields when the grass is off. I feed hay as they'll eat it and not get obese inside. Stalls cleaned 6 days/week, owners can clean on Sunday's if they wish. Horses out 8-16 hours/day, auto-waterers and run in sheds in most fields, others have wind breaks and stock tanks.

Amenities include 2 indoors (60 x 150 and 60 x 130), a 120 x 200 all weather outdoor, a 74 x 220 sand dressage ring, cross country fences from step over to training & prelim questions (corner, skinnies) water, banks, ditches and 1/3 mile turf gallop track, 2 wash stalls with warm water, 3 bathrooms, multiple observation areas, 10 schooling shows per year (2 HT's the rest CT, Dressage, Derbys), an event camp and multiple clinics with very good clinicians.

I'm out far the city far enough that you can still see the Milky Way at night (one of my favoite parts of the place)

When the crops in out of the fields we can hack over the surrounding farmland.

Gilbo
Jan. 17, 2011, 12:09 PM
I board in Churchville, Maryland not far from the Harford County Airport, and pay $425/month. The facility is nice, big box stalls with sliding doors, an indoor connected to the barn, an outdoor, round pen, several small individual turnouts, and several large group turnouts. My horse has a stall, is blanketed, and gets occasional medication at no extra cost. I use a different vet and farrior than the barn uses, but if you use theirs, holding is included. The BM/BO is absolutely amazing, knows horses inside out, and is smart enough to call the vet if she doesn't know something. I have not gotten better care for my horse anywhere. They feed sweet feed in the morning, and sweet feed and cooked oats at night. You provide your own supplements and they will feed them at no extra cost. Hay is put in the stall after it is cleaned so it's available when your horse comes in. If they're already in, the hay will be replenished throughout the day. They get hayed and watered again at night. The trainer is wonderful, definitely worth every penny. http://www.whisperinghollow.net/whisperinghollow.net/Home.html

derby_queen
Jan. 17, 2011, 12:26 PM
I live in Oklahoma and the nice quality barns usually charge $450-$1000. We only charge $450 just because we are a newer facility and we are still renovating some of it. I sure wish I lived in Virginia!!! You're so lucky!! Oklahoma....not too great haha.

Kairoshorses
Jan. 17, 2011, 04:03 PM
I have 15 acres, three pastures, a round pen, wash bay, four stalls (two with run-out areas), some XC jumps, an outside arena w/ lights and some home-made jumps, and I board a couple horses in addition to keeping my own. They all stay outside (all pastures have sheds/access to shelter). I charge $150/month. BUT the boarders (both of 'em) help me feed when I'm out of town, etc....so while I'm not making money, having someone I trust who's invested in the place taking care of horses while I'm gone? Priceless.

CWD EVENTER
Jan. 17, 2011, 08:13 PM
I find that on the east coast you get a lot more for your money. In CA you start at $500 for basically a clean stall and alfalfa twice a day. Then the prices go up from there, way up haha. I get to go to a lot of barns on the east coast now and find you get a lot more for your money. Turnouts, REAL turnouts not pipe corals, blanketing, graining, all included so it works out to be much cheeper. just sounds like good horsemanship is included in a good price. We should start a thread of who pays the highest, maybe it would be better suited for the hunter thread haha.

JenLS
Jan. 17, 2011, 08:22 PM
There are 2 barns here that are $350 full care. Both have indoor arenas, one also has outdoor arena and trails.

xitmom
Jan. 17, 2011, 08:29 PM
Based on my actual costs, MINIMUM full care is $55/month each for bedding, grain, and hay. That includes no labor, facility, insurance, or other costs.

I am not sure how you even do that! I was just going through a spreadsheet with my BO who is having a tough time making ends meet and we found that bedding, hay and grain was costing her about $300/month per horse -- $150 for hay, $75 for grain and $70 for bagged shavings. The hay and grain is top quality. I suppose that she could go cheaper on bedding but there is no place to store bulk wood chips and she likes to bed deeper than most barns in the area... which is OK with me!

Full board is $650/month and it is $550/month if you are willing to give 15 hours/mo in barn work (kind of co-op). This includes 10x12 stalls, 6 hours of turnout, blanketing, 3x feeding, and a smallish indoor.

ToN Farm
Jan. 17, 2011, 08:46 PM
Based on my actual costs, MINIMUM full care is $55/month each for bedding, grain, and hay. That includes no labor, facility, insurance, or other costs. Those of you who are getting stalls at $250/month should feel guilty. How can you provide any kind of decent care for $55/month? I spend more than that for hay for one horse.

Toomanycats
Jan. 18, 2011, 09:35 AM
I pay $475 for full board in northern Baltimore County in Maryland. The price did go up to I believe $550 for new incoming boarders. Field board is $400, which I think is rather high for what you get – you might as well pay a little extra and get a stall. Full board includes feed 2x a day with either a local blend senior feed or All Phase for the easy keepers. For an extra $25 a month, you can get Triple Crown feed. They feed supplements at no charge 1x a day, and you buy wormer and they administer it. Hay is very good quality, even the round bales are amazing, and it’s plentiful. They offer timothy, grass, alfalfa and clover. Bedding is some sort of absorbant material, kind of looks like a cross between shavings and sawdust, clumps a bit like cat litter. All stalls are matted. Turnout is a bit rocky and hilly, but there are run-in sheds in most fields and groups are small (avg 4-6 horses segregated by sex). Pasture quality is so-so, but they’ll put round bales out in summer if everything dies off. Blanketing is free, but there are fees for vet/farrier holding and catching, trailer parking, outside instructors, etc. You can use your own vet or farrier, or use the farm’s. Amenities include 2 indoors, one large outdoor, lots of jumps, tons of awesome trails and hills for conditioning (access to the Gunpowder), and a few xc fences (a work in-progress). There’s a mix of boarders, mostly English. Most are pleasure riders, but there’s a few of us who compete. Right now, we have a low key & low drama atmosphere, which was not always the case, but that’s how it goes at boarding barns – depends on your boarders. The high maintenance/high drama boarders don’t tend to last here, thankfully.

Downsides are that the owner/manager isn’t there every day. They have hired help, and someone does live on the property, but turnover rate with help has been high. There are no adequate instructors there, so I have to trailer out for jump lessons, a real pain sometimes with my work schedule (my dressage instructor will come in). My biggest pet peeve is getting my trailer in and out – there’s not much room for parking in general, and trying to maneuver your trailer on a crowded weekend afternoon can be a real b*tch. It’s not fancy, they are trying to repair probably 20+ years of neglect from the last owners, but it’s clean and the owners really do try hard to make everyone happy. Most importantly, my horse is thriving there. He is happy and healthy, as are the others, so they must be doing things right.

Emmas Hot Brass
Jan. 18, 2011, 12:02 PM
I'm in North Metro-Atlanta. I just moved from a barn where board was $550/month to my current barn at $350/month.

at the $550 barn, the pastures were dirt, my horse was ALWAYS out (only came in in horrible weather or when I brought him in, out even during feedings, and if I left him in, I got yelled at by the owner...??? and yes, it was "full board") He was also turned out in 5 different pastures in the first month, one of which was with an abusive, senile old horse who trampled me and my dog when i went to catch my horse. (i ended up flat on my back, out of breath). I yelled at the trainer there for that one. They didn't ask me if it was okay to switch him, ever. He ended up being turned out alone in a paddock, which was perfectly fine with me. He's always the bottom of the chain, so he didn't get beat up, but he had buddies right across the fence. The nicest thing about the facility was it's beautiful M10 arena.
but they didnt have jumps, so... that didn't work very long. Although I didn't like the facility much, I have to admit- the BO really was a very sweet woman. She was fantastic, just didn't see horses as partners and athletes. more as big pets. We got along just fine, pretty well, actually. I left because I had a new job and needed to move my boy closer to me.

At my new barn ($350/month) it's not only closer to my house, it has good grass pasture, my horse gets daily turnout, 2 beautiful barns, pine shavings in the stalls, and phenomenal arena with jumps (M10, the husband is in the grading business) and the woman lives on-property. so, 24-hr care, and 24-hr access. They get turned out in pairs on 4-6 hr rotations, depending on weather. They maintain the grass in the winter, so no hay is really ever on the pastures, but in their stalls they get basically free-choice orchard/fescue local-cut hay. It's really nice. The BO treats all the horses like her own (bought me a new cooler for Christmas) and she is a fantastically sweet woman.

It depends on geography (property taxes especially take a roll in that) but also the people who own the property, and whether there is a regular trainer at the farm.
If the BO knows who their clients will be, and they can do it, they'll put their prices on the higher end of the spectrum. Can you blame them? Everyone is trying to get by, make a profit.

My barn is mixed discipline, and has not "set" anything. a lot of the owners don't come out very often, either. which is sad for their ponies, but I love it. I always have the arena to myself in a nice, peaceful ride (:

eventer_mi
Jan. 18, 2011, 12:09 PM
I board at a private facility in Southern Pines, NC. The board is the highest around, but I need an arena with lights because I work during the day. I get full care, including holding for the farrier and blanket changes, unlimited hay, and semi-private turnout (two horses per grassy paddock), for $700/month. I also have an indoor arena with rubber footing, mirrors, and Big A$$ Fans, and an outdoor arena with rubber footing and mirrors, plus access to the Moss Foundation with miles of trails and hunt jumps scattered throughout, a large flat jumping field, water jump, bank jump, and several ditches. I'm in heaven. Regular full board around here ranges from $500-$600, and doesn't include a covered/indoor arena and no lights, so I think I'm getting quite a deal.

starrunner
Jan. 18, 2011, 12:42 PM
Wow, interesting to see the variations in costs.

I pay $150/month for pasture board. Paddocks are picked (more often in summer than winter though), grain, supplements fed as needed, etc.

There's an indoor & an outdoor and a small roundpen. No real trails though.

Stalls are $220 from what I remember. Maybe $240 now, there was a price hike at some point and time.

The big facilities in the area are under $500 for the most part including the heated indoors, etc.

This is in southern Wisconsin.

Hay is plentiful and cheap though which I suspect is a big factor. Shavings/sawdust aren't terribly hard to find either by the truck load which is substantially cheaper than than the bagged stuff.

wildlifer
Jan. 18, 2011, 04:31 PM
Based on my actual costs, MINIMUM full care is $55/month each for bedding, grain, and hay. That includes no labor, facility, insurance, or other costs. Those of you who are getting stalls at $250/month should feel guilty.

Why should anyone feel guilty? It's up to the property owner/manager to set prices. If they are not making ends meet, then that is not the fault of the client. Whoever is running the place should value their time and resources appropriately.

eventerl13
Jan. 18, 2011, 04:45 PM
It's always interesting to hear about the variation in costs and what is provided.

I pay $350 for field board. Some of the field boarders think this is expensive.
(although none of them have moved....).

I don't because as an active competitor I have almost everything I need. Fields are very well maintained and beyond spacious for the herd. They are also hilly enough for good conditioning right on site.
Staff is terrific, knowledgeable and reliable, longterm. BO knows everything there is to know about managing a farm and horses. We have a big indoor, a big jump ring outside, and another outdoor ring with lights and footing that resists freezing. We have a cross country course, and a new dressage pad with all weather footing. We back up to a state park with miles of trails. We have a **** trainer if you can get on her schedule, have 2 FEI dressage instructors who come on a regular basis, and easy access to all kinds of great trainers in the immediate area.

They do run an active lesson program so indoor space is limited during the winter in evenings on weekends, but I can work around that so it's ok with me.
Can you tell me what farm this is? I am in the Montgomery county area and looking for a barn.

Thanks!

LookinSouth
Jan. 20, 2011, 10:52 AM
In SE CT area full stall board with an indoor at a moderate facility usually runs between 550-700. Premium type show facilities run higher around here usually around 800+. Most facilities with full board and no indoor run between 400.00-500.00.

Last facility I was at stall board was 575.00 and full outside board with a small private run-in( no bedding) was 375.00. There was an indoor with rubber footing, heated lounge, small lighted sand jump ring with nice jumps, huge sand dressage ring, 70 acres of hay fields that boarders could hack and school on, lots of trails and a basic BN/N XC course. Included 8 hour turnout in small groups on mediocre grass that wasn't rotated or well maintained but honestly the turnout was better than what most places offer in this area and they had a fantastic BM. Grain choices were somewhat limited to the lower end spectrum.

Right now I am at different eventing barn where full stall board is 375.00. Horses spend most of their time out in pasture turnout except for feed time and very inclement weather. All of the boarders here want their horses out as much as possible so for us it's a plus . Huge beautiful large grass pastures with wood fencing and hay is fed year round too. Stalls are 12x12 and nicely bedded with stall skins too when they are in. There is no indoor (hence the lower price) . The barn itself is definitely more rustic and it's a no frills facility in terms of amenities for the rider but the care is good and the BO is VERY generous with hay, shavings and will feed top of the line TC grain with no extra charge. For the price that's pretty much impossible to find around here. My horse has access to a bedded stall & lovely grass pasture 24/7 which he didn't have at barn #1. The maintained XC course, fields and trails really are phenomenal too. We also have a huge grass stadium course with show quality jumps and a lighted small dressage ring.