PDA

View Full Version : Outside rein to bucking strap, inside flexion. Thank you bucking strap!

Fantastic
Jan. 15, 2011, 02:43 AM
I have historically had bucking straps on all of my saddles for years, but seem to forget they are there. I stay on anyway, when I could have made things easier and grabbed that BS. My BS's have remained as good as new. The BS just doesn't come to mind even though it is there, staring me in the face.

So I am working with a couple of horses this week who are wanting to catch air in the canter. I determined the length of neck/outside rein, secured myself with the bucking strap with that same outside hand, established inside flexion, and asked for the canter. Amazing what a difference that bucking strap can make! "Oh, I'm supposed to grab that thing?". :yes: What a waste of good BS for all of these years!

A little BS can certainly go a long way. :D

Zugabe
Jan. 15, 2011, 03:50 AM
I would have thought it taboo in this discipline....but my dressage trainer actually recommended a BS, as my horse get's very 'animated' when asked to do walk-canter transitions as well as in lateral movements and lead changes. He's very excited to do his job. It's nice to have the extra security - just knowing it's there when schooling helps my confidence.

Hampton Bay
Jan. 15, 2011, 02:01 PM
They are very handy for carrying the saddle too.

merrygoround
Jan. 15, 2011, 02:22 PM
Also useful for securing the reins when longeing a student w/o reins.

Secures the student too! ;)

le_dressage
Jan. 21, 2011, 03:44 PM
I love the bucking strap on my dressage saddle and I have been to many clinics where the instructor has commented on what a great idea and was happy to see I had one. You never know when you will need it. I think it was Jane Savoie who said all her saddles had one, there is no shame in it. I think you would look foolish to say you did not want one its like saying do not ride with a helmet. I always look at it from the perceptive of being safe and anything that can give me a little extra advantage on the safety scale is worth it. Riding horses as we all know can be a dangerous sport so stack up all the chips on your side and be one step ahead.

mickeydoodle
Jan. 21, 2011, 03:48 PM
It is also useful for those of us with a habit of "feeding" one rein forward, I hook one finger under the strap on the left to remember to keep the rein in the same place/length going to the right.

Kadenz
Jan. 21, 2011, 03:50 PM
My instructor has had me hook my pinky under the bucking strap to keep my outside elbow from insidiously sliding forward...I do it when riding alone now, to make sure I'm keeping the outside rein connection rather than letting the horse get longer and longer and longer on the outside.

Kadenz
Jan. 21, 2011, 03:51 PM
It is also useful for those of us with a habit of "feeding" one rein forward, I hook one finger under the strap on the left to remember to keep the rein in the same place/length going to the right.

We posted at the same time! :D

amm2cd
Jan. 21, 2011, 04:42 PM
I don't actually like using a bucking strap....

For my horses that have a little more 'fire' in them then I am totally comfortable riding through, I use an old broken stirrup leather as a neck strap. So far I havent had to use it on my coming 4yo... but better safe then sorry.

Emy
Jan. 21, 2011, 05:04 PM
Love.
Backing young horses bucking straps have saved my bacon multiple times.
My coach rides her FEI horse in CDI's with one on her saddle. If you look closely I think you will find alot of riders use them. I saw a picture of Isabell Werth with one on her saddle - I will try to find it.

Hampton Bay
Jan. 21, 2011, 05:45 PM
I don't actually like using a bucking strap....

Yeah I don't use mine either, at least not as it's intended. If I need to grab something, I either aim for the mane or the pommel. The bucking strap just never seems to be at the right spot to grab onto for me.

EasyStreet
Jan. 21, 2011, 06:01 PM
Mine is always on my saddle if I need it for it's intended use but I also use it to put my reins through while hand walking to the arena so that in the case of a spook and my horse and I part he won't wind up dragging reins and stepping all in them... even if he lowers his head to graze!

Fantastic
Jan. 22, 2011, 11:25 PM
All of my saddles have them, I just never used to remember they were there until the moment of need had safely passed. Oldest saddle has had the bucking strap for all of it's 12 years of life - bucking strap looks as good a new!

As for neck straps, I also use those when I start greenies. I agree with Hampton Bay that the bucking strap just isn't in a convenient location. The neck strap is so much closer to where my hands naturally are, so when we do our first canter, I always grab strap to stay out of the way of the horse. Nice to have a "handle bar" when needed!

Eklecktika
Jan. 24, 2011, 12:32 PM
I have historically had bucking straps on all of my saddles for years, but seem to forget they are there. I stay on anyway, when I could have made things easier and grabbed that BS. My BS's have remained as good as new. The BS just doesn't come to mind even though it is there, staring me in the face.

So I am working with a couple of horses this week who are wanting to catch air in the canter. I determined the length of neck/outside rein, secured myself with the bucking strap with that same outside hand, established inside flexion, and asked for the canter. Amazing what a difference that bucking strap can make! "Oh, I'm supposed to grab that thing?". :yes: What a waste of good BS for all of these years!

A little BS can certainly go a long way. :D Just so you know...I'm officially stealing that for my new motto. :D Fully attributed, of course.

I think I need to add one to my saddle-although, like everyone else, I'm just not sure I'd ever use it.

Amm2cd's suggestion of the stirrup leather as a neck strap is a great idea as well-maybe I'll try both.