PDA

View Full Version : Wait, I can't possibly own 5 horses....

scubed
Jan. 14, 2011, 08:39 PM
So, how did this happen:

Had many horses, sold all but the competition horse when I moved to PA in 2002, as of August 2003, 1 horse.

August 2004, sell that horse to teen rider and in November 2004, get OTTB.

September 2006, OTTB injured. Have surgery done, rehab and place in a lease home (I still own him, but he is fully leased)

Dec 2006, buy the spotted menace (now I have two)

December 2008, after a successful season at training level, he was sick, recovered, but needed to rehab somewhere with more turnout. Sent him down to Debi Crowley where his rehab could also include lots of turnout.

March 2009, fall in love with and buy OTTB Fingerlakes Finest (now I have 3)

November 2009, Spotted Menace goes to Deltawave on lease.
January 2010, realize Fingerlakes Finest does not want to be an eventer.

March 2010, leave FF in Florida to be sold as a hunter, buy warmblood muttly pony (bred to drive, but very cute - so now I have 4)

Ride muttly pony. Crappy economy, no FF sale.

January 2010, find out that horse #1 now 19 needs a new home, so I buy him (now I have 5). He is leased to one of FlightCheck's students - all is good.

But somehow, I have 5 horses when I really only mean to have one. It is clearly an addiction.

Does this happen to anyone else?

B Street Tango
Jan. 14, 2011, 08:45 PM
It clearly IS an addiction, although I've only ever "accidentally" owned two. The second found me when my first had a career ending injury and was on stall rest for 6 months until we could figure out how well he was going to heal. Bad economy - rehomed both horses, 2 years later have started over with just one...for now. ;)

Zu Zu
Jan. 14, 2011, 08:46 PM
You only have FIVE now ~~~~~ more to come ~

kinnip
Jan. 14, 2011, 08:49 PM
Who are you? And how do you know what I'm thinking?

Equsrider
Jan. 14, 2011, 08:49 PM
I have 5 andone in foal, so soon to be 6! what was I thinking???

PuraVidaEventing
Jan. 14, 2011, 09:01 PM
I have 3 that i own and 1 lease...
1 forever lame and pasture puff.
1 pony (leased out but the people who were supposed to lease to buy leased for superrrrr cheap for over a year and then said ohnowaitwedontwanthim.)
1 super talented competition horse (who btw, i'm not riding anymore...uhm)
and 1 lease horse!
And I'm only 16...thank god for being able to work off board bills!

ThirdCharm
Jan. 14, 2011, 09:10 PM
LOL. Welcome to the club.

Jennifer

Ishi
Jan. 14, 2011, 09:32 PM
I can't sell any of my own horses-horses bought for resale I can, horses bought for me, nope. So I had my first horse for over 20 years. Right now I have 2 retired event horse and Maggie (FF Louise found out was at New Holland) who will never be riding sound just all hanging out. Another FF and a Point Given gelding waiting for me to be riding again to start. Then I personally own 2 mares and 1 geldings I show, plus a pony horse. My husband only has one whenever the farrier comes and I pay the bill every 5 weeks I wonder why I have so many and how did he get so smart! I'm bad, I order dewormer in groups of 12 and justify it as saying I do client horses with it as well. Yea, 1 or 2 of them lol!

I'm not counting but we own 10, so don’t feel bad! I'm actually thrilled I can give my old show horses a permanent retirement home. I retired one somewhere else once, it was a disaster and I wouldn't do it again, besides I love my old men and love seeing them daily. I'm such a sucker :lol:

retreadeventer
Jan. 14, 2011, 09:41 PM
ONLY 5?
Seema, you are just a babe.

BigRuss1996
Jan. 14, 2011, 09:48 PM
They are kind of like potato chips that way...Lol!

judybigredpony
Jan. 14, 2011, 10:07 PM
You have no idea....:) and as long as i keep in the same color caragory and hubby stays deployed of comes home in the dark.....

olympicprincess
Jan. 14, 2011, 10:11 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds it easy to suddenly have "one more"... thankfully my boarding barns stay full so getting another is a hassle. Because I really should be cutting down on my bills, not adding more horses. :D

I have 2 permanents: my retired mare and my gelding. I just sold an OTTB at the end of last year (may be taking him back- people are in financial trouble) and almost took another local OTTB resale yesterday...

deltawave
Jan. 14, 2011, 10:14 PM
When I saw this thread on the main contents (author not indicated) I laughed, thought "I have to read that" and laughed even harder when I saw who wrote it! :lol:

Because scubed reminds me a little bit of me . . . I "officially" own one horse and one Shetland pony, but somehow I've got five on the payroll as well, including one Spotted Menace of scubed's as referenced above. Who did NOT TELL ME he hadn't eaten all his Ace powder today before I rode him and was suspiciously perky. He's starting to pocket his pills, God help me!

Since SM is still laid up, the Shetland's only purpose is to be cute, and the two others eating on my tab are weanlings . . . I'm left with about the same number of horses to ride as scubed. :lol:

There is safety in numbers. We are both sane, responsible adults. Right? RIGHT??!!

And up until he was sold, I was looking at a CANTER horse only half-halfheartedly. :eek: But that one wasn't for ME. That makes a difference, right? RIGHT??!!

Equsrider
Jan. 14, 2011, 10:19 PM
You have no idea....:) and as long as i keep in the same color caragory and hubby stays deployed of comes home in the dark.....

oh how I have soo done that too!:lol:

bornfreenowexpensive
Jan. 14, 2011, 11:05 PM
mmmm...I'm up to 6...only 1 is leased out. Oldest is only just 11. AND I'm breeding two of them....so will have 8 in 2012 if all goes well (those two will be for sale....at least that is the plan;)).

Yeah...and I still don't even have fencing on my farm (horses are all boarded out) but that should hopefully be fixed this spring.

millerra
Jan. 14, 2011, 11:25 PM
Is this the horses anonymous club? :o

I'm up to 5 and a half. Only two are "useful" (i.e. I ride them) but 4 should be in work... (sigh, no time for 4)

The 1/2 is a wee shetland pony so he doesn't count as a whole horse. He barely can see out over the stall wall and so people don't even notice he's there.

2 are homebreds, so no purchase was necessary (does that help the situation or my guilt?)

The most shameful confession- I absolutely love my youngest homebred. My mare is quite old (25) so no more breeding her. And I'm trying to determine at what point in time would be the most appropriate to shop for a youngster by the same sire as my youngest. You guessed it - a filly - so I can, at some point in time - breed again.

Oh, the shame. I am a hopeless addict. Absolutely pathetic isn't it?

fivehorses
Jan. 14, 2011, 11:41 PM
I had 5 for a very long time, thus my name. Have 10, but have capped it at that now for 3 years to convince myself I do not have hoarding tendencies.

I got the 'extra' 5 thinking I could rehome them...yeah, that was in fall of 2007, just the beginning of a jittery economy. Most are broken and not really rehoming material. I did get one foal out of an unbeknownst pregnant mare I helped and that little guy is my pride and joy, and my next driving prospect. He is my baby, and everyone knows it.

I should probably change my name to tenhorses, but I like the sound of five better!

So, you are doing alright with 5!

CookiePony
Jan. 15, 2011, 12:18 AM
Very funny thread! I only have one... I think. Last I looked, anyway. But owning him is like owning five, perhaps. :lol:

JER
Jan. 15, 2011, 01:57 AM
I have 6.5 horses. This is because one of my equines is Casper the Mule.

Three and a half live up here with me -- a 26 year-old Belg/Saddlebred/TBx, a 22 y-o TB mare and a 32 y-o QH -- live on the farm here. All are retired from riding life. And then there's Casper, of indeterminate age and unknown experiences. I wouldn't dare call him 'retired' because he's very active in the business of being a mule.

The mare's three daughters are on the east coast in training/competing situations.

brightskyfarm
Jan. 15, 2011, 05:04 AM
try 9...... well sold one yesterday --

Went on a trail ride; friend invited some new friends --- they ended up insisting they Had to buy my horse -- um, sure, ok, no arm twisting there! (go figure, campaigning/showing this guy for 6 months, 15-20 showings, tirekickers; you've all been there-- then out of the blue --without trying!)
Could have also been because their horse was just SOOOOO bad;)

Started with just one re-train and selling my track ponies every 2 years -- into, retrains I couldnt resist, and 2 daughters following suit with their retrains.

we all know that addictive phrase : Whats one more?:lol::lol::lol:

I have so many in training, I started a lesson program!

OP, you seem to so easily gather horses, perhaps you might want to consider teaching too :D

GilbertsCreeksideAcres
Jan. 15, 2011, 07:28 AM
I have 5 stalls.
I have 5 horses.
How could it be any other way??

N2Equus
Jan. 15, 2011, 07:45 AM
Not only an addiction but also hereditary. My daughter owns more than I do. I am in recovery. I only have two. :lol:

judybigredpony
Jan. 15, 2011, 07:51 AM
oh how I have soo done that too!:lol:

For 4 years I could say oh yeah thats X or no thats ones ole Y even though those horses had been SOLD for years...if its bay he doens't know....although the paint stood out like a sore thumb!!!

Many years ago I had 4 and 2 stalls...2 in 2 out all bay and all wore the identical green Rambo's he had no clue for almost a year. I kept 2 in 2 out he didn't go down to barn, stalls faced away from house. I worked and paid my own horse bills. Only when I went to 6 and we bought more property and a bigger barn did the veil lift:lol:
Now the counting goes...# of sale horses # retired(calls them free loaders), 2 my personal keeper rides, # of investment/broomares and foals # of $$$ horses on lay-up or board and avoid a whole total # given...

Treasmare2
Jan. 15, 2011, 08:09 AM
I have five that are all home bred warmbloods...plan was to breed some nice horses and sell them keeping two for myself. We were very good at breeding the nice horses but very poor at the selling part. Now I have bought a ticket on a well bred yet to be born wb foal to support our local hunt. You watch....I know I am going to win and have six horses. Any bets that I am right?

Hilary
Jan. 15, 2011, 08:21 AM
My problem is that they live so damn long under my care! When I got my old prelim mare it was understood that while I could have her to ride as long as I wanted, I would also retire her. She's 31 this year. Her sister lived to 34.

My old pony lived to 40, and when Clancy died this fall everyone said "he was only 21?" Only.

And now I have empty stall syndrome coupled with "difficult horse I'm getting frustrated with" which is the perfect storm for a new face in the barn.

camohn
Jan. 15, 2011, 08:47 AM
You only have FIVE now ~~~~~ more to come ~

strated with 2 in a cop op boarding situation...now have a horsey husband, more horsies for both of us and a farm...total of 14 between up (13 and one is preggo/due in March.)

Old Time Rider
Jan. 15, 2011, 08:54 AM
I decided to give breeding a chance, save thousands of dollars by buying on time - month by month by month. Costly decision, but education IS expensive. Built 8 stall barn, given 2 broodmares (1 who actually has produced 2 nice ones, the other won't conceive but she'll win the fanciest lawn ornament championship). Then my health issues, doc's kept saying 'you'll be able to do everything you used to do' (doctors all start out as protologists); can you say really? Now all 8 stalls are full, economy sucks, people think you should give them the horses because 'they'll give them a good home'. But having them at home costs less than boarding one horse. Why didn't I build a 2 stall barn?

horsetales
Jan. 15, 2011, 12:17 PM
You mean there are people that only have 1 and stay at 1 ??????????? :lol:
DH has determined I am making up for years where I was horseless with a X-(D)H. Conversation started, now that we are settled I would like to get back to horses, He says sure (little did he know what laid ahead ;) start weekly lesson, that moves to work at barn to earn more ride time, that goes to leasing, that goes to buying, then buying 2nd, then buying farm and broodies. We have 8 with 2 due in spring

DLee
Jan. 15, 2011, 02:24 PM
I have six. :confused:

I have a plan.

I do. It just doesn't look like it.

HOOF123
Jan. 15, 2011, 02:41 PM
BUMP!!!

2ndyrgal
Jan. 15, 2011, 03:17 PM
who will be so very very proud of me because....

I have 12 stalls.

And I have...

Just. One. Horse.

fivehorses
Jan. 15, 2011, 03:31 PM
who will be so very very proud of me because....

I have 12 stalls.

And I have...

Just. One. Horse.

You should be absolutely proud. I had 5 stalls empty for almost 12 years, and well, then I succumbed.
So, fill up those stalls with stuff you cannot get rid of, store elsewhere, etc...do it quickly.

deltawave
Jan. 15, 2011, 04:16 PM
2ndyr, you know you are violating the laws of Nature, right? And that there will BE no world peace or a solution to global warning until you rectify the imbalance, right? ;)

up-at-5
Jan. 15, 2011, 05:19 PM
I'm up to ten in total. One out on lease, coming home this spring, one out as a field companion. 8 here at home. It all started with my Morgan, who through no fault of his own, could not be turned out in a herd at a boarding facility.Moved to the country, brought him home and then needed a companion or six:lol: to keep him company!

And my husband never notices a new one because I keep buying bays. Mind you, when I asked him to bring in the two bay TB's, he managed to bring in the chestnut Paint with lots of white! Guess I should never have worried about him actually paying attention to what was in the paddocks, he can't seem to tell one from the other!

ThirdCharm
Jan. 15, 2011, 05:38 PM
I am really proud of myself because I am down to my two show horses, my two retired showmares, both of whom are broodmares and one of whom is half-leased until she gets too fat, one weanling, and two schoolies (one of whom is half-leased). One other mare going out on lease soon hopefully and one pony who has been leased out and will be until the kid outgrows her I think.... My hubby has his old retiree and one 7yo gelding I'm trying to lease out..... I actually will have stalls open for more boarders to come in!

Jennifer

fordtraktor
Jan. 15, 2011, 08:13 PM
I have four horses, and six stalls. I filled them with hay to delay the inevitable truth -- nature abhors a vaccuum.

The worst part is, I don't have a single horse that is safe enough for anyone to ride when they come visit the farm. My old horse is too lame, my two riding horses too nutty, and my weanling is..well, a weanling. I need another one, right?

yellowbritches
Jan. 15, 2011, 08:45 PM
I always seem to manage to keep my personal numbers to two-ish. Neigh, who will be "with" me until the day he dies, and whoever else. I've been up to three occasionally, but it's always an inbetween phase.

The farm owner is rapidly getting to five, if you count his son's two. He owns the BFG and bought the big D in the spring. His son has St. Spike and the Blonde Pony. We keep "threatening" to sell St. Spike, but no one can actually bring ourselves to do it because we a love him so much. And, we've started the search for number 5. :lol: St. Spike is half leased...does that count?

scubed
Jan. 15, 2011, 08:50 PM
It is worse as I have to board or lease all of them as I live in the city. Of couse, looking at the board prices thread and thinking it would be easier at those prices. And wait. I forgot the "cousin" to the 19 year old that I own half of, but he is also for sale. That falls into DW's, but it is not for me so it must not count category

IronwoodFarm
Jan. 15, 2011, 08:50 PM
Owning a farm is a problem. I went from one boarded to moving her to the farm and adding 3 more. Now it is 20! :eek: I do stand a stallion so he helps keep the numbers up and I keep all my oldies no matter what, but still, it is so easy to add just one more.

Lately I have had good luck selling horses, but only the consignments. I think I am gifted at selling other people's horses and not my own. Time for a new business plan perhaps!

midnightride
Jan. 15, 2011, 09:18 PM
We own.....

two dozen......

thankfully some are at the track now but when one sits and ponders their future..... WTFWWT????? (what the f*** were we thinking)(that was a double thought- had to slow it down to make sense to me):lol::lol: 24 freeking horses.......
:winkgrin:
I am pushing my pedal to the metal mucking stalls and riding five plus normal human chores!!!!:eek:

love 'um and gosh when they run races like they have been they are a joy to own!!!!! and the eventing horses are looking good for 2011!!!!!

GreystoneKC
Jan. 15, 2011, 09:44 PM
I was asking myself the same thing the other day - how did this HAPPEN?? I am a trainer with my own barn, but it's still ridiculous!

I have a wide variety:
- 32' 8yo adorable mini horse - basically a pet and mascot, useless, but adorable!
- small pony mare, Welsh, 14yo - does lessons and shows, Devon lead line extraordinaire!
- medium pony gelding, Pinto, 14yo - lessons, childrens hunter pony/BN eventer star
- large pony - Paint, 13yoish - lessons, low level jumper/BN eventer star
- 15.3h TB gelding, 15yo - lesson packer
- And the newest member of the family that caused me to have serious concerns about my sanity - 4yo 16.1h Hanovarian/TB gelding project for myself. I love him, but boy does he eat a lot!

I actually have 8 stalls and a wash stall that can convert back to a stall... I currently have 11 horses at the barn! All 9 stalls filled up and the two little ones living in the indoor, with a waiting list!! I KNOW it's good to be busy, but seriously?? lol

Kodidog763
Jan. 16, 2011, 05:03 PM
I am in a similar boat (I suddenly found myself with 3)!

Had my fantastic, steady guy. Started contemplating moving him home (rather than boarding out) and decided I should find a "husband" horse that would be a good companion for my guy.

Instead I found a green, 4 year old OTTB mare, in polo training. She begged me to take her home as she did NOT want to be a polo pony. In my effort to resist, I asked to take her on trial. They declined (whew, dodged a bullet).

Friend asks me if I know anyone looking for a dressage horse. She (friend) has a cute mare, who doesn't love to jump, is a really cute mover, and wants to be a dressage horse, but friend doesn't want to be a dressage rider. After suggesting a couple people who turned out to not be good fits for the mare, friend says "hint, hint, I'd really love it if YOU would take her." Hunh? Oh... I see. Yes, I'd love to take her.

After agreeing to take cute mover mare (literally same day), I get a call from the owner of the green OTTB. If I still want her they'd love for me to take her on trial. Of course I can't say no, and take her, and fall in love with her.

So... in my effort to save money (by moving my guy home), I somehow ended up with:
- 1 mare in full-time dressage training & board at a fancy dressage barn
- 1 green OTTB in training splitting time between fancy dressage barn and barn where gelding lives
- Original gelding still at original barn
:lol:

Calamber
Jan. 19, 2011, 11:23 AM
try 9...... well sold one yesterday --

Went on a trail ride; friend invited some new friends --- they ended up insisting they Had to buy my horse -- um, sure, ok, no arm twisting there! (go figure, campaigning/showing this guy for 6 months, 15-20 showings, tirekickers; you've all been there-- then out of the blue --without trying!)
Could have also been because their horse was just SOOOOO bad;)

Started with just one re-train and selling my track ponies every 2 years -- into, retrains I couldnt resist, and 2 daughters following suit with their retrains.

we all know that addictive phrase : Whats one more?:lol::lol::lol:

I have so many in training, I started a lesson program!

OP, you seem to so easily gather horses, perhaps you might want to consider teaching too :D

Now here is a novel idea, make the horses pay for themselves! I cannot relate as I cannot seem to find a good horse to lease or buy in my price range. Or come across so many flaky people with horses for sale that I run to the hills. In any case, after being unofficially bankrupt (we did not file) I am very goosed about spending money on one horse nevermind any "extras" and I used to make money on horses, doing almost just what you do.

It is a real gift and one to be prized, of that I am learning in spades, to have enough money to live fairly comfortabley, with a husband who has a job, although I cannot find one (a job that is, I have a very prized husband). Otherwise the price of owning a horse here is shellshocking.

lucky dog farm
Jan. 20, 2011, 10:09 PM
God Love me, I have 5 of the great fuzzy creatures. 4 of them are antiques and the one homebred that I am trying to event. AND I am toying with looking for another young one but my husband said he would divorce me if I do. Hmmmmm....... Wonder if he was kidding:). Yup, def an addiction!

drawstraws
Jan. 21, 2011, 12:28 AM
When we bought our own place and were moving the horses home, someone told us never to have more stalls than we had horses or we would fill them. How prophetic! Were up to five at one time (I'm the only one who rides) but have been down to three for the past three or four years.

Now for some reason I've gotten it in my head that I want a mini donkey. I don't know why, there's no particular reason I need one and I sure don't need the extra vet bill, grain bill, hay bill, shavings bill, farrier bill, and drain on my time, but I can't stop thinking about a cute, fuzzy long-ear. Lord help me!