PDA

View Full Version : My report on the miracle of the HS Dynamic RS D-ring bit on 6 of my horses - TL-FEI

Fantastic
Jan. 14, 2011, 03:10 AM
After rave reports from the tack shop owner, I purchased two different sizes of HS Dynamic RS D-ring bits for my horses a few weeks ago. I first purchased a 5 1/2, took it home to try it on the bigger horses, was so impressed that I had to go back and buy a second one for the smaller guys! http://www.marystack.com/aaaaaaajfi.html

The Herm Sprenger Dynamic RS Dee Eggbutt Ring bit gives soft but very effective instructions for a better contact between horse and rider. The Dynamic RS has an ergonomically formed mouthpiece which lies perfectly in the horse's mouth. Soft and even pressure is exerted on the entire tongue area, encouraging the horse to chew. In addition, this bit supports the contact to the corners of the mouth in a very effective way, keeping the horse on the bit. The gentle joint in the middle is angled forward - the characteristic feature of the KK ULTRA - making it a very friendly bit. Aurigan mouth with Stainless Steel rings.

All six of the horses showed majorly notable improvement is various areas, with exception of one. All six had nicely foaming mouths. All horses were previously being ridden/tested in a Baucher, with the exception of one (not same as one noted exception of above). Here are the horses and their responses:

Horse #1: 3 yr old. Super uphill build. Was originally started in a French Link, but he was too "up". Bit changed to a Loose Ring Single Joint, and he was oddly MUCH improved and much rounder. HOWEVER, he started to dive on this bit, was a little unsteady, too deep for my preferences. Switched to HS Dynamic and he is in the perfect place with his poll at the highest point and nose in front of vertical. Happy and steady.

Horse #2: 4 yr old. Uphill, but not extreme, very big horse. Previously ridden by someone with rough hands, so damage control here. Horse would be resistant and snatch rein away. Better in Baucher. Super great in HS Dynamic - able to ride horse into outside rein, achieve inside flexion, and horse is pretty darn steady in bridle and over back seeking bit. Happy horse is now excellent in contact.

Horse #3: 5 yr old. Very uphill with longish neck. Was good in Boucher. NOT good in HS Dynamic! Way overbridled. I had no outside rein and horse no half halt because horse was too light. Changed to Loose Ring Single Jointed Snaffle from Horse #1, and horse was instantaneously better! Horse much more up (as I'd expect one to be in Single Joint) and we had an outside rein to ride into = magic! Half halts also reappeared, thankfully!

Horse #4: 9 yr old. More horizontal and very rectangular very big horse. Major damage control here! Previously ridden by someone with rough hands (see Horse #2), and also had damage done to jaw by this person. Required surgery. Was afraid of bridle being put on and off. Horse was protecting itself after recovery from injury, so I had to be super tactful with contact. Not easy lateral flexion and not good easy over back. Better in Baucher. Changed to HS Dynamic = magic! Horse likes this bit!! Overcoming fear of bridle and of contact! Super easy to ride to outside rein now, seeking bit, better over back, consistent with contact, flexion, etc. This horse was extremely improved!

Horse #5: 13 yr old. Compact normal build. Good in Baucher. Better in HS Dynamic. Steadier, seeking bit.

Horse #6: 17 yr old. Very uphill, big neck, giraffy type, very big horse. Will go in any bit, but better with some as opposed to others. Good in Baucher. Better in HS Dynamic. MUCH easier to get horse to seek contact and work over back.

So there you have it folks! My report on the HS Dynamic D-Ring Snaffle! Best dang $150 I ever spent on each bit, and I will definately continue to ride these horses in the HS Dynamic without hesitation!

I sure hope this info is helpful to someone!

SueCoo2
Jan. 14, 2011, 01:13 PM
I'd love to try it on my girl. I'll start saving for her b-day!:D

eventer_mi
Jan. 14, 2011, 01:43 PM
Hey - I was wondering what to spend my Smartpak gift certificate on, and now I have the answer! I have a rubbery necked Trakehner who likes to curl, unless he's rooting ;^). Do you think he'd benefit from this bit?

InsideLeg2OutsideRein
Jan. 14, 2011, 01:58 PM
Super, thank you for that report. I have a baby that I still ride in the Sprenger Duo D-Ring, but she will be ready soon to graduate to a jointed bit.

How long have you been riding in the Dynamic? And is this magic effect consistent over time?

Maude
Jan. 14, 2011, 05:26 PM
So, I have the Dynamic RS loose ring in a snaffle and bradoon. Do you think the "D" ring invites the horse into the contact and is more stable than the LR? I'm thinking of my 4 year old that was started last summer. She has the winter off and I"ll be starting her back in the spring. I'd be interested in the differences in effect of the LR vs. the D other than lateral support. Thanks!

princessfluffybritches
Jan. 14, 2011, 10:49 PM
I can see how a horse would be comfortable in that. Very nice and you gave a good report!

Fantastic
Jan. 14, 2011, 11:08 PM
You are all so welcome! Glad that I could be helpful to someone and have also been able to increase the sales of this bit for Herm Springer! :D

Yes, the D-ring offers much horse stability than a Loose Ring. Better over their back, better lateral flexion, better longitudinal flexion, taking outside rein - on all 6 horses.

Before changing over to the HS Dynamic, and before the Baucher, all 6 horses were all being ridden in various Full Cheek French Links - from Happy Mouths, to Dr. Bristols - as I was conducting my own tests for their (and my) benefit. I was not impressed with these bits, and neither were any of the horses. Not one of them went really well. All 6 improved with use of the Baucher, but by far the greatest improvement was with the HS Dynamic, with the exception of one horse:

Horse #3 - 5 yr old with longish neck and very uphill. In the HS Dynamic, this horse became way too round and deep for my liking. No outside rein, whatsoever. Changed to a Loose Ring Single Jointed Snaffle, and horse goes wonderfully! (this is the response I'd expect to receive from a Loose Ring Single Jointed Snaffle, as opposed to the horse below):

NOW,

Horse #1 - 3 yr old VERY uphill was formerly too deep, divey, unsteady, and somewhat heavy in a Single Jointed Loose Ring. Switched to the HS Dynamic, and all of those problems have resolved themselves = poll is highest point, very steady in bridle, lightness, self carriage.
All 6 horses have been in these bits for several weeks. They all showed the listed improvements on the first ride, and remained consistent with the HS Dynamic D-ring ever since.

alicen
Jan. 15, 2011, 03:42 AM
Is a boucher the same as a Baucher?

BaroquePony
Jan. 15, 2011, 07:03 AM
Posted by Fantastic:

Before changing over to the HS Dynamic, and before the Boucher, all 6 horses were all being ridden in various Full Cheek French Links - from Happy Mouths, to Dr. Bristols - as I was conducting my own tests for their (and my) benefit. I was not impressed with these bits, and neither were any of the horses. Not one of them went really well. All 6 improved with use of the Boucher, but by far the greatest improvement was with the HS Dynamic, with the exception of one horse:

What type of mouthpeice did your/the Boucher [sic] have? The HS Dynamic RS bits have extremely nice 3-piece mouthpeices .... I believe that is the major difference between the Dynamic RS bits and others.

alibi_18
Jan. 15, 2011, 09:29 AM
Why is lots of people calling a 'Baucher' bit 'Boucher'?
Especially from dressage people as he was a big part of its history. It is named after Fran├žois Baucher. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fran├žois_Baucher?wasRedirected=true

BaroquePony
Jan. 15, 2011, 09:55 AM
If you (anyone) compare the mouthpiece of the Dynamic RS french link to any other fench link that I have seen, including the KK Ultras, you will see a more curved mouthpiece and almost a complete elimination of any *nutcracker* effect.

hundredacres
Jan. 15, 2011, 10:08 AM
What a great review! I have a horse like your #4 and I hope we have similar results. Have to ship package it to work though...my husband is totally aghasted at my bit collection ;). Thanks for sharing.

alicen
Jan. 15, 2011, 10:18 AM
Why is lots of people calling a 'Baucher' bit 'Boucher'

Why are lots of people calling a Baucher a "boucher/Boucher/bouchet?"

Because Americans, in their egocentricity, are typically unconcerned about foreign languages? After all, everyone speaks English, n'est-ce pas?

Fantastic
Jan. 15, 2011, 12:06 PM
Actually, that was a type-o for me. Thanks for noticing!

I usually spell it "Baucher", and I pronounce it "bouw-shay".

Fantastic
Jan. 15, 2011, 12:16 PM
I have a bunch of different "Bauchers". :lol: The ones that I used were all French Links.

The 6 horses are pretty much split into two sizes of bits:
- 3 horses are 16.2-3H, weigh 1,430-1,475, and are wearing the 5 1/2's.
- 3 horses are 15-16.1, weigh 950-1100, and are wearing the 5's.

Well, first I tried the cheap-o stainless 12-13mm (?) one, and they actually went pretty well in that one. I have 3 different sizes of Neue Schule Bauchers probably 14-mm (not sure if they are all exactly the same style - thought I saw something different in the cheek pieces of one- , but the are all French Link). They went very nicely in this too. All 6 improved greatly over the Full Cheek French Links.

Hampton Bay
Jan. 15, 2011, 01:59 PM
If you (anyone) compare the mouthpiece of the Dynamic RS french link to any other fench link that I have seen, including the KK Ultras, you will see a more curved mouthpiece and almost a complete elimination of any *nutcracker* effect.

Just like the JP range and the Ovation Curve range. I have the JP version of the Dynamic Loose Ring and really like it. It was only $27 from SmartPak. Mare is happy, I am happy, cost $100 less.

Elegante E
Jan. 15, 2011, 03:48 PM
Are the curves the same on the JP, Ovation and Herm Sprenger?

Is the HS show legal? Thought at one time copper bits weren't allowed so wondering.

Hampton Bay
Jan. 15, 2011, 04:23 PM
I don't know if the curves are exactly the same on the three brands, but they are similar. And yes, copper is allowed. Copper has been allowed for a long time, just for a while you couldn't have more than one kind of metal.

Vesper Sparrow
Jan. 15, 2011, 04:30 PM
Just like the JP range and the Ovation Curve range. I have the JP version of the Dynamic Loose Ring and really like it. It was only $27 from SmartPak. Mare is happy, I am happy, cost $100 less.

I have both the Sprenger and JP versions. The horses seem to like them equally, and maybe the JP a little more.

indyarab
Jan. 15, 2011, 05:17 PM
Thanks for such a detailed report. Think this will be my next bit purchase though the gelding is going great in his KK Ultra loose ring and the stallion in the Baucher version of the same!

Elegante E
Jan. 15, 2011, 06:30 PM
If a horse already chews the bit and foams nicely, would the different metal make it foam more, possibly drool or become too mouthy on the bit?

InsideLeg2OutsideRein
Jan. 26, 2011, 04:10 PM
I *just* got this bit and used it for the first time this morning -- and the princess didn't complain!!! That's a huge feat in itself, as the other two double jointed snaffles I've tried (KK Ultra loose ring and JP Korsteel oval mouth) were both a no-go. (The princess is rather vocal about her likes and dislikes ;)).

We went on to have a nice, casual, "she's just had two days off" warmup (with good contact, but not on the bit -- that's pretty much where she is in her training at this point). Then I insisted on a little more bend through the corners and started changing directions on large bending lines -- all the sudden I felt her "grow" under me, back came up, shoulders came up, and she felt wonderful! She started really reaching for the contact. :)!!!!

Yay, so hopefully I found *the* bit for her! :)

Wild Rose
Jan. 26, 2011, 04:59 PM
Kewl! Thanks for the awesome report! I am in the process of ordering one of these bits (loose ring) but can't seem to find any in 5 1/2 inches?? I'll measure my pony tonight to see if 5 1/4 will fit her.