PDA

View Full Version : Best deals on XC vests?

Jumpthemoon16
Jan. 14, 2011, 12:27 AM
Hi!
I'm in the market for a new XC vest with my return from H/J land.. It was a nice trip but I'm an eventer at heart :) What websites have the best deals on vests? And what vest has the best fit/protection for a reasonable price? Any help is appreciated! :D

purplnurpl
Jan. 14, 2011, 09:09 AM
hmmm....

what do you want?

a beta 3 offers the best protection but will not be the most comfy.

Tipps are the most comfy but IMO are only slightly above the protection level of a GAP poofy vest.

Do you want custom colors?

pheasantknoll
Jan. 14, 2011, 10:04 AM
I found the best deal on my vest at amira in the uk. Even with shipping it was quite a bit less than at US stores. They also have really great prices on horse boots. The link is www.amirashop.co.uk/

PKN

mg
Jan. 14, 2011, 10:18 AM
I got mine on ebay! Since vests aren't like helmets where they should be replaced after one fall, they are actually safe to buy used :)

Zephyr
Jan. 14, 2011, 10:22 AM
Flex-Rider vests are ASTM certified and only $100:
http://www.smartpakequine.com/ProductClass.aspx?productclassid=4766&cm_vc=Search
They're more solid, but not terribly uncomfortable (that's what I have), and you're all set if they start requiring "certified" vests.

The old Tipps probably win for most comfortable but are not certified, but they make a new one that is (around $250): http://www.shopatron.com/products/productdetail/part_number=1037/3451.0.1.1

Beta is a European standard, but some, like the Rodney Powell, are BOTH Beta and ASTM certified (around $200): http://www.smartpakequine.com/ProductClass.aspx?productclassid=6731&cm_vc=Search

goodmorning
Jan. 14, 2011, 10:33 AM
Smartpak has FABULOUS deals - but you need a store local, or you could try calling the store & seeing what they have in the closeout section ;) I have a RP vest that I picked up for under $50 (forgetting the exact cost). I found it the most user-friendly, besides the Tipps. I tried on many, walked around the store in every brand offered atDover & Smartpak, and the RP was my favorite. For some reason I think the Tipps are too thin, if I'm going to wear one of these things I want solid protection. It wasn't that much more comfortable. Some people dislike the RP, but I like how it seemed to mold after walking around - the others were just stiff.

lurker
Jan. 14, 2011, 01:32 PM
I just ordered my custom colored Airowear outlyne vest with a matching helmet cover and with shipping it will come to $250. I ordered it through www.rideaway.co.uk. The customer service was awesome and I should get it next week! Can't wait although I won't be able to use it till the spring! It was REALLY time I got a new vest as my old one is over 20 years old. EEK!

Edited to add that Airowear suggested Rideaway when I e-mailed them about obtaining a vest in custom colors!

Chouteau
Jan. 14, 2011, 06:38 PM
I did quite a bit of looking around & just ordered a custom Airowear outlyne from Amria - not only best price, but I couldn't find anyone who offered the custom options in the US.