PDA

View Full Version : So.. I'm going to Ocala..

Hey Mickey
Jan. 13, 2011, 10:51 PM
Basically, I'm crazy.
The decision became final yesterday evening. I'm leaving for KY tomorrow, and leaving for Ocala on Saturday.
I will be with people who have been there many many many times.

My problem is packing up my life in 24 hours...

Anyone have any suggestions of things I may be forgetting? I'm feeling a little overwhelmed and EXTREMELY EXCITED!!!!

pixietrix
Jan. 13, 2011, 11:17 PM
I'm not kidding...I've never been so cold ( well, maybe in Aiken last year but I had all the warm stuff with me there!) as when I assumed it would be warm in FL in February. My bad. You will feel like a fool wearing a turtleneck but if it gets cold enough you'll be the smartest person there. And....rain gear.

JWB
Jan. 13, 2011, 11:37 PM
It's true.... Although it is in the sunshine state, Ocala is on average 10-15 degrees cooler than it is for the rest of us.

That said, welcome to Florida!

FlightCheck
Jan. 14, 2011, 08:52 AM
welcome...how long will you be down here?

And yes - bring warm clothing - and rain gear, because our cold fronts are lead by cold, driving rain instead of snow.

You are coming at a great time to do things - the Leslie Law clinic is next weekend at Rocking Horse, and the following weekend the first recognized Rocking Horse is being held.

scubed
Jan. 14, 2011, 09:49 AM
If you have short, but waterproof shoes/boots, bring those (like wellie bobs, or ariat frog clogs)

Be ready to do layers. You need warm stuff, but there can often be a 30 degree swing from early morning to mid-afternoon

The usual tack, gear, etc as for any horse show.

Smaller studs than you might normally use. The sand footing is very good. I showed my guy training totally without studs and prelim on the big horse with only small road studs behind

Sunscreen (including lip balm with SPF), sunglasses and insect repellent (even when cold, the sun is brighter than up here) and there can definitely be bugs (so also FlySpray for your horse)

All weights of horse blankets

Have Fun!!! I'm looking forward to Aiken, but will miss Florida this year