PDA

View Full Version : Dying blue Boogaloo boots black

Equine Studies
Jan. 13, 2011, 09:32 PM
Has anyone succesfully done this?
I have a pair of royal blue cordura boots and want black.
Or should I banish the thought from my head?

http://www.boogalooboots.com/materials.htm

They are 100 denier cordura. More info at link above.
I'm feeling cheap after buying 2 new saddles.

midnightride
Jan. 13, 2011, 09:53 PM
Totally off subject..... but I think my mare Boogaloo really needs a pair of these:lol::lol::lol:
To make things funnier, she has a scar on her front leg I dyed black once....

I would guess dying would work since you are going darker.

Not sure if the dye would be bad on the liner (if any) so maybe just dab it on the exterior with a cotton ball or something....

ETA- where can you order them in the states?? They say the velcro can be made to order in your colors... they look really nice but all dealers are in Canada..... my girl totally needs a pair of boots with her name (she has everything else!)

Desert Topaz
Jan. 13, 2011, 10:43 PM
Dying things that aren't cotton (or dyeable shoes) is not easy. Generally, you have to get a special dye and boil the thing you want to dye to get the color into the fiber. So you'd have to boil your boots. And, since they have a special finish on them I think it will be pretty impossible to get the color in.

Equine Studies
Jan. 14, 2011, 08:59 AM
Dying things that aren't cotton (or dyeable shoes) is not easy. Generally, you have to get a special dye and boil the thing you want to dye to get the color into the fiber. So you'd have to boil your boots. And, since they have a special finish on them I think it will be pretty impossible to get the color in.

I thought it might be a challenge. Bummer.

Bobthehorse
Jan. 14, 2011, 02:36 PM
They will likely turn navy. The synthetic fibres wont hold the dye well.

You could try and sell them and buy some black ones. Anne sometimes has boots with a factory flaw (like a mark on the fabric) that she has for a lower price. You could break even, depending on the condition of your blue ones.

Equine Studies
Jan. 14, 2011, 09:37 PM
I loaned my blue ones to a good friend who helps me out periodically so she can keep them. I have a lead already on a pair of used back boots and I'll email Anne and see if there are any seconds. Great idea-never knew that was an option. Thanks!

Bobthehorse
Jan. 14, 2011, 11:37 PM
I didnt either, I bought mine at full price. But my friend got a set of leather ones at a discount because of a gauge in the leather....which I had trouble finding. Not sure how often that happens.