PDA

View Full Version : OCD - Please Help

curley neddy
Jan. 13, 2011, 09:04 PM
My 5 year old WB has been diagnosed with OCD in her hock. I need to hear people's success stories and not so success stories to help me decide whether to go ahead with the surgery. My vet tells me she also has arthritis!

retreadeventer
Jan. 13, 2011, 10:39 PM
Try the sport horse board and the horse care boards, you will get more info, I'd bet! Good luck. It's not the end of the world! :)

islgrl
Jan. 14, 2011, 10:23 AM
I bought a (4 y.o.) horse who had an OCD in his fetlock, which I had removed. The surgery was easy, the recovery was easy (except for moments of 4 y.o. "pony kiting" :D during the handwalking phase) and he NEVER took a lame step.

RiverBendPol
Jan. 14, 2011, 11:04 AM
I have one who had OCD stifle surgery 3 years ago, as a 4 year old. I'd say do it.

Carried Away
Jan. 14, 2011, 01:12 PM
there are lots of other threads about this...I had a young TB a few years ago with a dirt lesion in his hock that we took out-surgery went well but recovery was a pain and he ended up having major attitude issues afterward...so personally I'm against doing that sort of thing again but I've heard many success stories as well.

judybigredpony
Jan. 14, 2011, 01:58 PM
OCD Pellets, had success w/ mare who had radiographic proof of OCD lesions, never was lame and functioned 100% in job as eventer....