PDA

View Full Version : Dressage Shoeing: What's Reasonable?

Rear*Buck*Rear
Jan. 13, 2011, 08:34 PM
I was having a discussion with my fellow Dressage enthusiasts and we were talking about what we pay to have our horses shod and what is reasonable. I thought the best way to settle this, and how to get the best answers would be to ask the mass amounts of people here....

So, what do you all pay for like... a basic 4 foot trim and 2 front shoes? Nothing special, no corrective craziness. Or... just tell me what you've got on your horse. Include where you're at too, because I know prices can vary depending on your region.

Right now... I'm thinking that my friend is over paying $150 for her horse to have a trim and two front shoes, but she says in her area this is normal.

What say you??

Danged Arab
Jan. 13, 2011, 08:51 PM
I'm in southwest Florida and pay $150 for four shoes, nothing special except the shoer is excellent! Some other shoers in the area may be cheaper but they don't do the kind of work this fellow does. And he's 100% reliable, always shows up for his appointments.

dressagecue
Jan. 13, 2011, 08:54 PM
A kiss on the cheek and a can of pop. (My dad is my farrier :winkgrin: )

Coppers mom
Jan. 13, 2011, 09:29 PM
Here in NC, it's 70-100 for front shoe only, 100-120 for all around if you aren't doing anything exciting.

Sanely Eccentric
Jan. 13, 2011, 09:31 PM
I'm in the Spokane area and my farrier charges $35 for a trim. He does a very good job from how he works with the horses to the quality of his work. I can't remember what his shoeing charges are but I remember they were quite reasonable, my mare does well without so we just haven't dealt with shoes.

Amazone
Jan. 13, 2011, 09:37 PM
$120 for front only, nothing special. Now in winter my horse is wearing snow pads, so it has gone up to $170 for trim all round and front shoes. I do find it very very expensive. Based in PA.

kimball56
Jan. 13, 2011, 09:37 PM
Northern Virginia $135 all four shoes. Normal feet. My friend pays $95 for just fronts and trim. Another friend pays $225 for hot shoeing all four.

AnotherRound
Jan. 13, 2011, 09:41 PM
I'm in southwest Florida and pay $150 for four shoes, nothing special except the shoer is excellent! Some other shoers in the area may be cheaper but they don't do the kind of work this fellow does. And he's 100% reliable, always shows up for his appointments.

This.

For winter, I am putting four shoes, bubble snow pads and borium on, for 225.00.

for a trim, I forget, it was bout $65.00 and I think one girl gets trim and 2 shoes for 85.00 or 95.00

Mostly, though, no one is barefoot or getting only 2 shoes anymore. We generally feel why should they be sore when their footsies can feel great with four shoes. Doesn't really do them any favors to not have shoes. Its rocky here, and lots of gravel.

Mrs.ChickenBritches
Jan. 13, 2011, 09:45 PM
In Southern California I was paying 80-120 for front shoes depending on configuration of shoes, pads, etc.

ShannonLee
Jan. 13, 2011, 10:22 PM
Wellington: 4 normal hot shoes = $300.00 from a great farrier....

joiedevie99
Jan. 13, 2011, 10:28 PM
$275 for four shoes, front pads, excellent farrier.

$350 for the winter when we add carbide tips and add snow rim pads behind.

Raison d'etre
Jan. 13, 2011, 11:31 PM
$200 for 4 shoes, nothin' special in Central Ohio

horsepoor
Jan. 13, 2011, 11:34 PM
I think it really varies depending on the area. My two horses at the dressage barn 2 hours north of me get the following: basic trim all around and 2 front reg steel shoes $95; basic trim all around and steel shoes on all, with wedge pads and equithane up front $140.

Now my shoer down here, who is a heckuva lot better than the guy up north is just $85 for the half shoes and would be more for the special guy ($165 I think). For my area, he's probably in the upper tier of pricing, but he's also well worth it!

Hampton Bay
Jan. 14, 2011, 03:04 AM
When I was having her shod, just steels up front, and half the time he didn't trim the hinds, it was $80. That was 5 years ago though. He didn't do a very good job (didn't know it at the time).

I shoe her myself now though, so it's just the cost of the materials. Eponas, Vibram pads, and the impression material. I chose that setup to give her a bit of a height boost in the front, since she's built a touch downhill. I really do love that package for her, and I'm getting about 6 months of wear out of the shoes since I ride only on soft sand with grass on top. I keep thinking I'll have to buy a new pair, but they just haven't worn past that initial slight rounding at the toe from the first week she wore them.

eponacelt
Jan. 14, 2011, 07:15 AM
Horse Country Virginia:

$100 - front shoes (hot shoeing) and trim. Plus a $10 trip fee.
$35 for just trims.

It sounds like people on here are paying more for hot shoeing. Is that really the case? Am I getting a great deal? Hot shoeing is all my farrier does, swearing it results in a far better fit and healthier feet. For my part, I just think he's a great farrier, whatever his method.

oldernewbie
Jan. 14, 2011, 08:10 AM
SW Ohio, fronts steel shoes, back trim, hot fitting = $100

I think trims only were $40.

Farrier very good, always punctual, very good customer service. When my horse lost a shoe in the mud last winter, he came out that afternoon to re-shoe.

dwblover
Jan. 14, 2011, 10:00 AM
I'm in SC, and luckily we do have a certified journeyman farrier with the AFA down here. I pay $85 for a trim all around and two fronts hot shod.

Ltc4h
Jan. 14, 2011, 10:11 AM
Front w/ pour in pads= $140
Front Aluminum 3* wedge= $100
Front Standard keg= $90
All around keg= $175-drills and taps for studs n/c
Trims=$30
Trims on stall rest horses= n/c
Maryland

KJag550
Jan. 14, 2011, 10:16 AM
Just got my horses done Wednesday. Trims are $30. My one got reset in front with snow pads and trim on hind for $65.

Sonoma City
Jan. 14, 2011, 10:42 AM
I pay $240 for all fours on one of mine. He gets wide web aluminum shoes up front, and is hot shod steel in the back. It's a bit pricey, but the farrier is fantastic. He spends about 2 hours on my horse. He has someone jog him before and after so he can see how he is moving and where any adjustments need to be made. He will check in once in a while to make sure everything's looking good. He even came to one of my shows once to watch. He really shows an interest in all his client horses besides just showing up and slapping the shoes on. This is in Northern VA.

BetterOffRed
Jan. 14, 2011, 11:01 AM
I used to pay $60 for just a trim, no shoes.

When I started needing shoes, I started paying $110 for a good farrier that was not very dependable - but very cute)! ;)

When Mr. Not So Dependable stopped showing up, I found a great farrier, very dependable but the rate was now up to $125. Just switched barns, and my awesome farrier doesn't go out that way, so now I am up to $150, for another great farrier that is dependable. But I just don't think that you can skimp on a good, dependable farrier that is experienced, good reputation, shows up when he says he will and takes the time to do a good shoeing.

My horse is straightforward all around. No special shoes. No soundness issues. Stands well for the farrier and pays no mind to being hot shod.

This horse thing kills my checkbook!:(

mpsbarnmanager
Jan. 14, 2011, 11:43 AM
I'm in SE VA and I pay 75 for trim and 2 front shoes, but I am friends with my farrier and he cuts me a break.

InsideLeg2OutsideRein
Jan. 14, 2011, 02:14 PM
$ 95 for front (or one set of 2) shoes (including the trim that goes with it), $ 25 for the trim on the hind.

princessfluffybritches
Jan. 14, 2011, 10:55 PM
In my area, good + reliable is rare. And I've always felt that a wonderful farrier who's reliable is well worth whatever I have to pay. I just get trims right now, I live in an area of sugar sand.

cyndi
Jan. 15, 2011, 12:39 AM
Around here, (Houston area) if you have a 'dressage' shoer you automtically seem to pay more, even if the shoeing job is not better (and maybe even worse) than your jack--of-all-trades shoers.

I use a 'generalist' who is very good and is always going to competitions and trying to learn new things. I have front shoes and no hind shoes on mine and pay $60 for that. None of them need anything special. He does some hot shoeing on my husband's endurance horses and doesn't charge more for that. We have been using him for nearly 10 years with no problems.

snbess
Jan. 15, 2011, 06:24 PM
$95 for 4 with nothing special and she does hot shoeing. I think it was $35 for just a trim.

DressageReine
Jan. 15, 2011, 07:14 PM
$140 for a trim and reset, wedge pads on the front and borium. $175 for new shoes. I think it will be $120 for four regular shoes, no pads or fancy stuff added :) This is about 35 miles west of Chicago, general all-around shoer. He charges $35 for just a trim, for reference.

Zugabe
Jan. 15, 2011, 07:44 PM
$50 for trim. $120 - $150 for 4 shoes
We are outside of Park City, Utah.
I don't know what other specialties cost.

Doctracy
Jan. 15, 2011, 07:47 PM
$120. Wide web shoes, pads with cushioned fill in front. $85 for shoes and no pads. Excellent farrier, always on time, schedules appointments 6 weeks out and never forgets.
Doesn't charge extra for the cushioned fill on the horse who needs it, or the frog pressure pad, rather than a flat pad.

exvet
Jan. 15, 2011, 08:41 PM
$85 full shoe, $65 half shoe, $40 for a trim. Have had this farrier for 6 years, no problems.

Posse977
Jan. 15, 2011, 08:46 PM
NE Ohio- $45 for a trim, $150 for new front shoes, $160 for 4 new shoes. Pads, borium, studs, etc. add a little bit more. Shoes are handmade and hot set. I don't think anyone charges extra for hot shoeing around here though.

ACP
Jan. 15, 2011, 09:11 PM
North of Atlanta, ga, by about an hour.... we are paying $150 for all fours, nothing fancy, BUT the farrier is fantastic. Honest, reliable, COMES ON TIME, gentle with the horse, does a very good job. If he doesn't need to see the horse work, he tells me to just leave him a check when it is very cold. He wants to see the horse go about every 2nd or 3rd time to make sure things are OK.

goldponies
Jan. 15, 2011, 10:59 PM
New Hamshire fabulous farrier, $95.00 four shoes, $35.00 trim and does my donkeys for $20.00.

o0hawaiigirl0o
Jan. 16, 2011, 07:46 PM
Here (North of Indianapolis, Indiana) we have a world class farrier (shoed last years Rolex winner the day before the event, was head farrier at WEG 2010) who makes his own shoes. I believe he charges around $110-125 for a trim and front shoes. Not sure what his rate is for all four feet or just a trim. He's worth it, in my opinion.

Back home (Hawaii) I was getting a trim and hot front shoes for $65.

quietann
Jan. 16, 2011, 10:19 PM
Northeastern MA. Farrier is experienced, reliable, not really specialized.

Steel in front, trims all around are about $125, and $80 for trimming and resetting.

Same thing, but winter tires (borium studs and snow pads), is about $165 and $75 for trimming and resetting. Or $230 for all 4 hooves.

Just a trim, no shoes to deal with, is $45.

The shoer I loved at my old dressage barn was a Morgan breeder and also did Morgan show horse shoes, but the very very fussy BO loved her for most dressage horses and she did about 2/3 of the horses at the barn. She caught some early laminitic changes in my Morgan's feet and knew exactly what to do about it (feed her "crappy" hay -- mature mixed orchard grass hay, rather than the BO's super-rich second-cut timothy.) Her prices were about $10 higher than current shoer, plus a call fee that varied from $5 to $15 depending on gas prices and how many horses she was doing in the same area that day. She was even more reliable, very good about coming for emergencies even though it was a long drive, etc. Unfortunately she doesn't travel to the current barn.

atlatl
Jan. 17, 2011, 01:23 AM
In So Cal, AFA certified farrier, $100 for a trim and plain shoes in the front.

Peggy
Jan. 17, 2011, 01:36 AM
$200 for four flat hand-made steel shoes set hot. Southern California. Even the vet says the shoer does a wonderful job.

Cowgirl
Jan. 17, 2011, 04:08 AM
Denver metro area: $190 for hot shoeing, four shoes and pulled clips. He charges $155 without the clips and $65 for a trim. I think that a trim with front shoes only is around $120. He is a Certified Journeyman Farrier with both therapeutic and education endorsements (i.e. he is a corrective farrier and teaches others).

Valentina_32926
Jan. 17, 2011, 11:23 AM
no sure how it's broken up but
pnoy gets trim
Show mare gets front shoes
Older mare gets 4 shoes
total is $245.

Farrier is always on time, reliable and very particular about the quality of his work.

HenryisBlaisin'
Jan. 17, 2011, 11:36 AM
My farrier (who does a great job and is super reliable) charges $60 for trim all around and 2 steel fronts. My boy wears an aluminum wedge, so it's $80 for fronts. He's been great about coming out to reset a thrown shoe as well!

GraceLikeRain
Jan. 17, 2011, 11:59 AM
$40 trim
$85 all around trim and shoes on the front
$120 4 shoes

I am very pleased with my farriers work and he gradually took my mare from 4 shoes to barefoot all around over a 6 month period. So $40 every 5 weeks is extremely reasonable in my opinion and I am thrilled with my mares feet.

Donella
Jan. 17, 2011, 01:26 PM
$250 to 285 for hot shoeing all the way around.

Trims are 45.00

He does a great job and makes the shoes custom from a straight peice of steel.