PDA

View Full Version : DQ Drama- Share your experiences

xrmn002
Jan. 13, 2011, 05:44 PM
Had some drama at the barn today and while it was not funny at the time, I got to thinking it might make for a fun post if we share some of our barns' most ridiculous (and funny) DQ moments. Here are a few of mine:

A DQ once told our BM on my friend for riding her horse on a circle because she was "trying to intimidate [DQs] horse by circling her"! Friend was then approached by DQ's trainer who confronted her about "trying to run her horse into [DQs horse]". Obviously friend was doing neither! :D

Two women got into an argument because one was carrying two whips and the other thought it was scaring her horse. They ended up riding around chasing eachother with one yelling "Relinquish your whip! RELINQUISH YOUR WHIP!" lol

alicen
Jan. 13, 2011, 06:26 PM
I wouldn't have thought 2 dresssage whips would have posed any problems - unless, of course, they were super long and held straight out perpendicular to the horse.

AnotherRound
Jan. 13, 2011, 08:47 PM
No freaking way! Don't misunderstand, I can see it, I just can't believe it! Were they laughing? Did you see this or hear about it? If you saw it, I want to hear more!

I have used two whips, it works nicely to keep things quiet and steady and train very intensly about something where you are changing rein, or, with my horse, where I want to point out to him something about one side shoudler and one side haunches - like the canter depart - the inside whip carred back and the outside carried at the thigh helped him to depart on the correct lead but not swing his haunches in. Only needed it a couple times, he's so smart, the little dickens.

Don't have DQ stories. Carry on.

Just had to say that was too funny.

dghunter
Jan. 13, 2011, 09:26 PM
One girl thinks the entire barn is out to get her :rolleyes: I really like her but she's very paranoid! She texts me all the time with some new rumor about something mean someone said about her :lol: I don't want to post too many details in case she sees this but it's always stupid stuff that can't possibly be true. A very interesting character to have around though :D

Zugabe
Jan. 14, 2011, 02:24 AM
A very interesting character to have around though

I do miss all the quirky individuals now that I'm not boarding my horses and have them at home.

My experience was with a DQ trainer. She once said to me in a lesson, "Your horse is built downhill and is made to pull carts, unlike my horse who's built uphill, which is why he was very expensive."

First of all, what professional says that?
Secondly, she is not my trainer anymore. I adore my new dressage trainer who encourages me to enjoy my Am. WB, have fun, and take him as far as I can.:)

Mayflower Farm
Jan. 14, 2011, 07:42 AM
I was at a show and a DQ complained that a woman in the house next to the showgrounds was digging in her garden and the sound of the shovel hitting rocks was bothering her horse. I'm thinking to myself, you've got to be kidding me, this was not exactly close to the ring by any stretch... anyway, next thing you know, the coach had gone over and asked the woman to stop! Seriously. Kinda made me laugh, because next show a flock of geese landed beside the ring. Me, I would have taken the lady with the shovel!

AnotherRound
Jan. 14, 2011, 08:16 AM
I do miss all the quirky individuals now that I'm not boarding my horses and have them at home.

My experience was with a DQ trainer. She once said to me in a lesson, "Your horse is built downhill and is made to pull carts, unlike my horse who's built uphill, which is why he was very expensive."

First of all, what professional says that?
Secondly, she is not my trainer anymore. I adore my new dressage trainer who encourages me to enjoy my Am. WB, have fun, and take him as far as I can.:)

Huh. Weren't many of the warmblood breeds developed from or for carriage horses originally? Just sayin' ! Poor dear. At least she has her horse. :winkgrin:

eventer_mi
Jan. 14, 2011, 09:02 AM
I don't know if this classifies as a DQ horror story, but I once boarded at a (mainly) dressage barn where the arena was at the edge of the property, all bordered with railroad ties. The owner apparently had this on-going fight with the neighbor, who had a herd of cattle. The neighbor decided that the best way to get even with his enemy was to section off a part of his pasture right next to the dressage arena, and make it small enough so that the cattle couldn't stray away from the arena, thus rendering it unusable to anyone who owned a horse that was terrified of cows - as was mine at the time. And before you say it, yes, I did spend an entire day trying to de-sensitize him to those blasted cows. I know better what to do now, but I was a total noob at the time.

Btw, the owner of the facility didn't ride, so the only people it was "hurting" were the boarders, who had nothing to do with the feud.

Velvet
Jan. 14, 2011, 09:24 AM
I wouldn't have thought 2 dresssage whips would have posed any problems - unless, of course, they were super long and held straight out perpendicular to the horse.

And the only time you do this is in self-defense. When you are sharing the arena with DQs who NEVER look up or call their lines and feel that riding down the rail without having the right of way and then cutting within six inches of your horse is their way of letting you know they have the right of way even when they're wrong--that's when you carry two whips at a perpendicular angle. :lol:

xrmn002
Jan. 14, 2011, 09:35 AM
No freaking way! Don't misunderstand, I can see it, I just can't believe it! Were they laughing? Did you see this or hear about it? If you saw it, I want to hear more!

They definitely weren't laughing- They had some history so it didn't take much to lead to the blow-up. I was watching while my trainer was schooling my horse. It was one of those situations that you can't look at anyone because everyone is trying not to laugh or appear to be on one side or the other. BM ended up having to come out and resolve it.

NMK
Jan. 14, 2011, 10:06 AM
We called a horse Charlie the Tuna once because of the two whip outrigger of an owner. She never got it. Carry on..

BetterOffRed
Jan. 14, 2011, 10:07 AM
My lifes is now DQ drama free! I hope to keep it that way.

TheBarnRules
Jan. 14, 2011, 10:14 AM
"Relinquish your whip! RELINQUISH YOUR WHIP!"

I may have to steal this - too funny!:lol:

SmartAlex
Jan. 14, 2011, 10:23 AM
They ended up riding around chasing each other with one yelling "Relinquish your whip! RELINQUISH YOUR WHIP!" lol

Well, the truely funy part of this is the cultured air of her choice of words. It would not have been the same if she was yelling "drop it you beotch!"

Brooklyn
Jan. 14, 2011, 04:25 PM
The latest at my barn, when the BODQ is on a particular horse, all riders now must ride in the same direction as BODQ and said horse.

hntrjmprpro45
Jan. 14, 2011, 04:51 PM
I had a DQ ask me to give her horse a tune up and evaluate it's potential to be a hunter. WOW. I had never dealt with a DQ before and hopefully won't have to again! This horse had good manners but poor training. He went around on his front end and couldn't balance worth a darn. I rode him for about 30 min and told the woman that he needed to get into shape (and retrained) before he could really be jumped since he hadn't been ridden in 6mo. She decided that *she* would get on and evaluate him herself since she didn't like how he was going for me. I only wish I could have video taped her ride. She was all over that horse- very heavy hands, seat and legs. Things went downhill REALLY fast... yanking, kicking, swearing, frustrated grunts (from her, not the horse)...finally she gave up and got off. He apparently wasn't the second coming of neither Totilas nor Rhumba (hunter superstar).

"Hmmm I think I just need a different bit".

Yessssss, a different bit will solve his problem of being out of shape and your problem of being a bad rider.

And like any DQ, she later emailed me to send me a link to her no-name dressage guru's website (which had about 200 pgs of text about why he was the ULTIMATE dressage guru). She then told me she felt her horse was worth $25k as a top hunter prospect (I think the horse was 15 at the time) and asked if I wanted to buy him.

Zugabe
Jan. 14, 2011, 05:08 PM
:(
Huh. Weren't many of the warmblood breeds developed from or for carriage horses originally? Just sayin' ! Poor dear. At least she has her horse

AnotherRound - I thought the same...the ironic part was her horse was a Friesian/QH cross...and yet she belittled of my Clyde/TB. :(

MelantheLLC
Jan. 14, 2011, 05:17 PM

AnotherRound - I thought the same...the ironic part was her horse was a Friesian/QH cross...and yet she belittled of my Clyde/TB. :(

Maybe she meant to say, "MY horse was bred to pull a carriage and work cattle."

Like Freisians never saw carts. Uh huh.

katarine
Jan. 14, 2011, 05:19 PM
Living in Tallahassee, FL after college, working a crappy job, and missing my horses....I drummed up the courage to call around about riding lessons, either hunter/jumper or dressage. A few barns I called were a nightmare of snotty totty and who are you to call OUR barn you found advertised in the Yellowpages (Full Cry Farm is who stands out in my mind). Hell, you paid fro that ad, how dare I call you.

Anyway so I found a nice-sounding guy and looked forward to my first lesson. I drove out there, arrived about 15 minutes early and found a lovely facility, an empty barn, and no one around except a lone rider and her instructor. I waited quietly for several minutes, observing her lesson, until her instructor advised her to let him down and out, on the buckle for a few minutes rest. At that quiet time, I spoke up and asked "Excuse me, I'm sorry to bother you, but do you know where I might find ___________?"

The instructor twisted her head around to face me, scowled, and lit into me. How DARE I INTERRUPT HER LESSON. DID I HAVE ANY IDEA HOW I RUDE I WAS? ANY IDEA???!!! I DO NOT KNOW NOR DO I CARE."

Or something like that..I was backing away from the frothing spittle mouthed old bat.

Mr Nice Guy emerged from the house, we had a nice lesson...but I never went back. The whole thing put a nasty dressage taste in my mouth for quite some time.

Hell, it's not my fault she lives in the armpit of Florida.

Wellspotted
Jan. 14, 2011, 05:25 PM
Huh. Weren't many of the warmblood breeds developed from or for carriage horses originally? Just sayin' ! Poor dear. At least she has her horse. :winkgrin:

Yes, if her horse is any sort of Warmblood or other European breed (no, not EVERY European breed, but several, e.g., Friesian)! :D

I love people--they are almost as funny as cats! ;)

Wellspotted
Jan. 14, 2011, 05:27 PM

Ah, yes. The old Quaresian vs. Thoroughdale argument! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Zugabe
Jan. 14, 2011, 05:29 PM
Yes, if her horse is any sort of Warmblood or other European breed (no, not EVERY European breed, but several, e.g., Friesian)!

I love people--they are almost as funny as cats!

Ah, yes. The old Quaresian vs. Thoroughdale argument!

Hahaha. Too funny!

The instructor twisted her head around to face me, scowled, and lit into me. How DARE I INTERRUPT HER LESSON. DID I HAVE ANY IDEA HOW I RUDE I WAS? ANY IDEA???!!! I DO NOT KNOW NOR DO I CARE."

Or something like that..I was backing away from the frothing spittle mouthed old bat.

Mr Nice Guy emerged from the house, we had a nice lesson...but I never went back. The whole thing put a nasty dressage taste in my mouth for quite some time.

Hell, it's not my fault she lives in the armpit of Florida.

Wow.

Surely these people can't think they PROMOTE their business this way!...sheesh.

MelantheLLC
Jan. 14, 2011, 05:38 PM
Well, I will say that the over-the-top reaction of the instructor just sounds like an old-school European type teacher. Not just dressage. I had a piano teacher from Hungary like that, and my sister had a Russian skating instructor who was the same. Both had been top performers in their own countries, and they taught the way they had been taught--with savage demands and military precision. You did not speak, you did not question, you treated the instructor as if they were a general who could break you down to mopping the floor with your tongue if they felt like it.

People think George Morris is tough...

Sandy M
Jan. 14, 2011, 06:01 PM
At local venues, one of the local "I have lots of money, lots of nice horses, some talent (but I'm SCARED TO DEATH of my horses...)" DQs always rides (rode? I haven't shown much over the past couple of years) as if she were the ONLY person in the warm up. I'm doing shoulder-in down the long side - You think SHE's going to yield left-to-left? Not on your life. Her horse, 16.3+ WB, my horse 16.2 TB-type Appy (maybe she felt i was a "below the salt" type and should yield to her out of principle, being the rider of a "lesser" horse?). I got the hell out of the way because she obviously was not going to.

I'm doing a 10, 15 or 20m circle? Well, she needs to school her extension through the middle of it. You get the picture.

Gotta tell ya, I sure longed for the days of my old 16.3, built like a tank event horse (also an Appy). If another horse came at him like that, he'd pin his ears, bare his teeth and hold his ground. Fortunately, most horses took one look at his expression and veered off. LOL

Catie79
Jan. 14, 2011, 07:33 PM
Well, the truely funy part of this is the cultured air of her choice of words. It would not have been the same if she was yelling "drop it you beotch!"

This made me crack up so hard because I actually did something very similar in a warm up ring once. "Rail, B***H!" I swear, some riders just need to get their vision checked. But her hearing was clearly excellent, judging by her expression.

buck22
Jan. 14, 2011, 07:34 PM
Two women got into an argument because one was carrying two whips and the other thought it was scaring her horse. They ended up riding around chasing eachother with one yelling "Relinquish your whip! RELINQUISH YOUR WHIP!" lol

reeeally? oh snort, thats too funny :lol::lol:

spurgirl
Jan. 14, 2011, 08:03 PM
My friend trucked in and took dressage lessons on her hot little Arab mare at a local farm. Same farm had a nice little schooling show series one year, so I went to videotape and watch my friend do her rides.

While I was filming, a woman and her friend stood nearby...One of them, dressed in dressage gear (and loaded with expensive jewelry) "could NOT believe they allowed ArAAAAbians" there!! Well, the whole discussion was taped, (as was my snorting with laughter). The woman's "WONDERFUL RIDER" son was the next entry, and he promptly fell off when his horse spooked at a shadow (plus he was hanging onto his mouth, scared to death), and the horse was irritated.

I used to work at the farm-son's ride was a Half Arab. My GF won the high point award in that level at the end of the summer.

Karma, anyone;)???

Invite
Jan. 14, 2011, 11:39 PM
I think RELINQUISH is going to be my word of the day :winkgrin:

My biggest DQ moment had to do with a BO/BM/DQ all rolled into one...very scary combo.
One day she said to me,"Don't worry. I don't mind having you here. When I get tired of you being here, I'll tell you to get the f*** off my property. I've done it before and I'll do it again." Holy psycho woman. Thank goodness my horses didn't live there. I was just going to truck in to use her indoor. Needless to say, I have not been back.
BO/BM/DQ would not allow anyone to ride in the arena while she was riding. She did not have a set schedule, so boarders could show up to ride and have to wait an hour before being allowed in the arena

My current trainer does not allow DQ behavior. I don't board at her barn, but I have spent a lot of time there. Everyone is friendly and helpful. If you cause problems, you get booted out!

Quibbler
Jan. 15, 2011, 12:35 AM
And the only time you do this is in self-defense. When you are sharing the arena with DQs who NEVER look up or call their lines and feel that riding down the rail without having the right of way and then cutting within six inches of your horse is their way of letting you know they have the right of way even when they're wrong--that's when you carry two whips at a perpendicular angle. :lol:

I may have to steal that idea, because that describes the DQ at my barn perfectly! She will do everything possible to hold onto the rail and make everyone else move out of her way. It's like a game of chicken, and she'll finally give up at the last second and take the inside. Her whip has smacked against my boots before - and not on purpose, either, but simply because she squeezes up as close as possible.

When she's riding, I purposely try to have the right away so she is forced off the rail. It must be the immature teenaged brat within me. :D

(She also walks on the rail even when everyone else knows to walk on the inside, she BLASTS terrible music in the arena while she rides, she will halt her horse without warning, even if you're coming up behind her.... yeah, she's a piece of work. I've had to strongly check back my horse on several occasions because of her.)

NJRider
Jan. 15, 2011, 09:52 AM
My husband has an expression for times like this: "Sometimes, there is nothing wrong with Misdemeanor Assault JUST to prove your point".....
A rumble at "X" sounds like it is in order! ha ha

I may have to steal that idea, because that describes the DQ at my barn perfectly! She will do everything possible to hold onto the rail and make everyone else move out of her way. It's like a game of chicken, and she'll finally give up at the last second and take the inside. Her whip has smacked against my boots before - and not on purpose, either, but simply because she squeezes up as close as possible.

When she's riding, I purposely try to have the right away so she is forced off the rail. It must be the immature teenaged brat within me. :D

(She also walks on the rail even when everyone else knows to walk on the inside, she BLASTS terrible music in the arena while she rides, she will halt her horse without warning, even if you're coming up behind her.... yeah, she's a piece of work. I've had to strongly check back my horse on several occasions because of her.)

blackhorsegirl
Jan. 16, 2011, 09:30 AM
My favorite? How about: "If you handled your whip like that on My Horse, you'd be across the ring by now!". I was on my easy mannered, quiet, sensible, perfect for adult amateur, coming back to riding, wonderful horse. Her "show horse" hadn't been ridden in 4 years because she was afraid to get on him.

coloredhorse
Jan. 16, 2011, 10:02 AM
Gotta tell ya, I sure longed for the days of my old 16.3, built like a tank event horse (also an Appy). If another horse came at him like that, he'd pin his ears, bare his teeth and hold his ground. Fortunately, most horses took one look at his expression and veered off. LOL

:lol::lol: And attitude can more than make up for lack in size. When showing my refined 15.1 TB/Trak mare, I simply do not have to worry about rude riders. Her dainty, feminine little self backs down the largest of horses with no more than a look, riders be damned. I want to extend across the diagonal? Little Miss Thang sends her attitude out in advance and it's like Moses parting the Red Sea.

Sadly, the only even mildly amusing DQ anecdote I have is when a lady I knew from shows followed me around exclaiming how cute said little mare is, just like a pony, so adorable! I kept smiling and agreeing, pleased that she was so taken with my cute little mare.

Later, I was told that said lady was peeved that I was not upset by her comments. DQs horse was a really quite lovely and very tall imported something-or-other. Apparently, "cute" was meant as a pejorative. Who knew!?

billiebob
Jan. 16, 2011, 10:21 AM

*waving her hand from h/j land*

Interesting. My horse is built uphill and he was free.:lol: Does it count if he's an OTTB or is that a big strike against me in DQ-land? :lol:

Ibex
Jan. 16, 2011, 12:22 PM
:lol::lol: And attitude can more than make up for lack in size. When showing my refined 15.1 TB/Trak mare, I simply do not have to worry about rude riders. Her dainty, feminine little self backs down the largest of horses with no more than a look, riders be damned. I want to extend across the diagonal? Little Miss Thang sends her attitude out in advance and it's like Moses parting the Red Sea.

LOL - I leased one of those! She was the first horse I ever took to a show, was been there, done that, and took VERY good care of me :lol:

ammiedq
Jan. 16, 2011, 12:44 PM
The first "dressage barn" I boarded at had a huge chalk board up in the barn with everyone's name on it. Beside your name was checkmarks which showed what championship classes you had qualified for and what/how many scores you needed if you hadn't qualified yet. Once my trainer spouted "you all better get better at picking up your horses s#$t in the arena, I don't need my FEI level horse stepping on it!"

I now board at a great dressage barn. I was so surprised not to have the pressure to show, or perform from my new trainer. It is still refreshing to me to see how she takes on every horse, from WB to Morgan to Arab to Appaloosa (whatever they are) with the same attitude and dedication. I just love her, and it has made me love dressage all that much more.

sadlmakr
Jan. 16, 2011, 01:15 PM
Oh I have sooo many things I could post here, but I will limit t to one. My friend had a beautiful bay Arabian who was built much like a Thoroughbred. He was tall and had a good sensible mind.
She began doing Dressage with him and he loved it. She did some jumping and again he loved it.
She went to a 3 day event and did the Dressage and the Cross country and the jumping. She came in second in all of it.
There were two teenage girls who were trying so hard to be the perfect Snotty DQ's. They came up to her after the event was over and she was getting her horse blanketed to travel home. They asked what kind of horse he was. She replied that he was a purebred Arabian. They replied "EeeWWW, an Arabian?" "Oh Gawd."
She very politely replied, "Well he beat you didn't he?" and turned away to load him in the trailer.
They had no answer for he did beat them, hands down.

One other time I was at a stable doing saddle repairs and a woman came in with such stately aire.
Her snobbery was most evident as she asked if I would consider coming to her barn up the road. I replied " Yes if there were enough ladies who needed work for me to make the trip." Her attitude was very superior in her reply that she would hire me to come and do her saddle fitting and adjusting.
What irritated me was her talking down to me as if I were a servant or "Just a tradesman". I told her I needed at least 4 to 5 people to make my trip worthwhile. When I had enough people to sign up for it I would consider it.
In reality that stable would be the last place I would go as they were known for their snobbery and rude behavior.
It was a "DQ Barn"!
JMHO
sadlmakr

mpsbarnmanager
Jan. 16, 2011, 01:41 PM
This made me crack up so hard because I actually did something very similar in a warm up ring once. "Rail, B***H!"

HHAHAHAHA! I like you. :lol::lol::lol:

Hawaii
Jan. 16, 2011, 01:50 PM
I think RELINQUISH is going to be my word of the day :winkgrin:

My biggest DQ moment had to do with a BO/BM/DQ all rolled into one...very scary combo.
One day she said to me,"Don't worry. I don't mind having you here. When I get tired of you being here, I'll tell you to get the f*** off my property. I've done it before and I'll do it again." Holy psycho woman. Thank goodness my horses didn't live there. I was just going to truck in to use her indoor. Needless to say, I have not been back.
BO/BM/DQ would not allow anyone to ride in the arena while she was riding. She did not have a set schedule, so boarders could show up to ride and have to wait an hour before being allowed in the arena
!

Was this a barn on Oahu in Hawaii? If so I boardered there...was one of the main reasons why we moved back stateside about 6 months earlier than we needed to.

Invite
Jan. 16, 2011, 06:11 PM
Was this a barn on Oahu in Hawaii? If so I boardered there...was one of the main reasons why we moved back stateside about 6 months earlier than we needed to.

No, I'm in NH. Very scary that another PDQ (Psycho Dressage Queen) like this actually exists :eek: Maybe PDQ is a disease spreading among dressage barns everywhere!!!

awolffphotog
Jan. 18, 2011, 06:48 PM
This made me crack up so hard because I actually did something very similar in a warm up ring once. "Rail, B***H!" I swear, some riders just need to get their vision checked. But her hearing was clearly excellent, judging by her expression.

Ha!! That made my day.

I haven't been on COTH in a while, but this thread is a nice welcome back.

Sandy M
Jan. 18, 2011, 07:30 PM
Sadly, the only even mildly amusing DQ anecdote I have is when a lady I knew from shows followed me around exclaiming how cute said little mare is, just like a pony, so adorable! I kept smiling and agreeing, pleased that she was so taken with my cute little mare.

Later, I was told that said lady was peeved that I was not upset by her comments. DQs horse was a really quite lovely and very tall imported something-or-other. Apparently, "cute" was meant as a pejorative. Who knew!?

I was taking a clinic with a well-known west coast Judge/Trainer (German) and s/he watched me circling around her on my old, now deceased, racebred App (definitely a hunter mover, but he'd had injuries, so when I stopped jumping him he became by default my "dressage" horse), and s/he suddenly said, "Vell...he issss not my kind ov horse, but eef I had an Appaloooooosa, I vould vant one like ziss." S/he also referred to a friends hot, narrow, "Currier & Ives" looking black TB mare as "cute," but s/he did mean it kindly.

Stellar_moves
Jan. 18, 2011, 07:32 PM
Every girl at my barn is a DQ. They're all rude. It makes me want to kill people.

*sigh*:(

DressageJava
Jan. 19, 2011, 12:56 AM
"Relinquish the whip" lady has to be my favorite bahahaha. I would have let go of the reins at the canter and held the whips over my head screeching like a banshee. "Catch meeeeee!"

Thankfully, DQs do not exist where I board my horse. However, in October I started working for a lady who had a few young horses she wanted me to exercise, as she had too many to keep up with herself. This woman has a great property with a barn she uses for boarders and her own horses and nearby she has a larger barn which she leases out to a young dressage trainer. This trainer has numerous "slaves" as they are called, who ride a number of horses throughout the day to keep them in shape in exchange for lessons. While the trainer was always kind to me, oh boy I could go on all day with stories about her "students."

One day while riding in the indoor, the horse I was on pooped. This was the problem horse...He reared when he had to stand for too long, bucked when you told him to go a little more forward, spooked at everything. We always had a lot to work on. I never pushed his patience and if he did well and relaxed during the ride, I did no "piddling around" and was sure to keep him happy. So after the ride I took him straight to the barn to untack etc. etc. and went right back to the indoor to scoop the poop. I was greeted by a, "hello, I don't think we've met. I'm soandso." So I kindly introduced myself. This conversation quickly took a turn. "It's tough being new somewhere with so much prestige. But here, to maintain our image, you need to pick up the horse's poop as soon as he goes." I looked at her dumbfounded, "you want me to get off, find a pitchfork, scoop the sh**, take it to the manure pile and then proceed riding?" She nodded, looking rather delighted in herself. "I understand why you didn't know that already. I just wanted to look out for you." Let me just tell you, I was one p-ed off cookie. Plus, I work directly for the OWNER, NOT the leaser who thinks she owns the ring and can make her own rules for the owner's boarders and riders to follow because her "business" is oh so prestigious. And they have this wonderful image that my pitiful self really is an eyesore.

So, referring to the pile of fresh manure in the ring that I had gone to clean up, I handed her the pitch fork as I was leaving, "oh, so you got this? Great. Thanks and it was nice to meet you, too!"

Tiger Horse
Jan. 19, 2011, 12:07 PM
We have the usual DQ drama - complaints about not "calling" by the worst offender, someone who insists on having both sliding gates closed all the way when riding in the indoor. (I can see her point, but she is obnoxious about it and on really busy nights it's very hard to manage because you're blocking the rail to close them.)

We also have to throw beginner jump lessons into the mix . . . some nights it's really tough to get anything done!

staceyk
Jan. 19, 2011, 11:05 PM
This occurred many moons ago, and it happened not to me but to a friend who had just moved to a barn that had both hunter/jumpers and dressage boarders. She was a hunter rider. One night she took her horse to the indoor which was quite a nice size, much larger than a dressage ring. She went to the corner to get a ground pole to trot her horse over. The only other rider in the ring, a dressage rider, stopped her in her tracks.

"You can put poles out here!!!"
My friend assured her it was just the one pole.
"But I use the whole ring when I ride!" was the answer.

Back to the corner went the pole. My friend rode for 45 minutes, and the other rider spent most of her time at the walk, with only a few stretches of trot.

Wayside
Jan. 20, 2011, 12:08 AM
"You can put poles out here!!!"
My friend assured her it was just the one pole.
"But I use the whole ring when I ride!" was the answer.

Back to the corner went the pole. My friend rode for 45 minutes, and the other rider spent most of her time at the walk, with only a few stretches of trot.

:lol: Something similiar happened to a friend of mine when we boarded together at a multi-discipline barn. DQ complained about having to ride around the jumps my friend had left set up (with the BO's permission) in the HUGE outdoor.

The funny part? When my friend told me about the DQ's complaint, I was driving my 18.2 hh Belgian draft horse around the same arena, with the same jumps in place, and there was plenty of room for me to go around them in a multitude of ways. :lol:

Marcella
Jan. 20, 2011, 09:28 PM
Funny. Last winter my farrier told me a very similar story to the OPs. The two women apparently didn't know how to share the arena properly, and ended up chasing each other on horseback trying to smack the other person with their whip.

Apparently dressage whips would be considered 'assault weapons.'

We must start issuing licenses for these with criminal background checks. ;)

xrmn002
Jan. 20, 2011, 10:47 PM
Funny. Last winter my farrier told me a very similar story to the OPs. The two women apparently didn't know how to share the arena properly, and ended up chasing each other on horseback trying to smack the other person with their whip.

Apparently dressage whips would be considered 'assault weapons.'

We must start issuing licenses for these with criminal background checks. ;)

Haha- We are in the same area and my farrier told me the story, too (not knowing I'd witnessed it). Wonder if we have the same farrier? JF?

le_dressage
Jan. 21, 2011, 03:08 PM
Okay, I am a dressage rider and I would say I have only really had a few DQ moments in my whole life. You can agree or disagree but here they are, I ride at a multi-discipline barn and apparently these are why some DQ's get mad. Tell me if you think I am wrong on these.
1) Crazy race track horse being lunged while I am trying to ride and horse is bucking and rearing so bad the owner can not hold on. I am sorry this is rude and unsafe.
2)If you have an indoor tie all the horses on the inside of the indoor ring. It makes riding a long side very difficult. Tack up in the stall.
3)Tied horses in indoor that get untied while you are riding and start running around the ring while owners go get there tack (always fun)
4) Manure in ring..... yes pick up after your horse. In an indoor think of it this way all that dust you are making when riding in reality is sh.t particles you left behind and you and your horse are breathing it in..... its gross.
5) Pick up after yourself I really do not need to see exercise balls, pool noodles, flags, tarps and baby strollers all over the ring becasue you are de-sensitizing your horse to them the "Clinton Anderson way".
6) Funny enought at my barn its all the western and hunter riders that like to plow into me. I have to laught when the 18h WB jumps all over your 16h reining horse because your not fast enought to get out of the way. My dressage horse actaully listens to my cue..... and can get out of the way.
7) Learn to lunge a horse....... I am sorry tipping your head and moving your body or shaking a plastic bag on a stick/wand looking thing to make them listen just does not work for some of them.
8) Ride a clean horse........I do not care on the discpline but take pride in what you do.
9) Camo blankets and neon halters - I do not care what you say look trashy unless you are 10 and have a cute little pony.
10) Laught at the dressage whip but come on spurs so big and loud I feel like I am in a John Wayne movie.... is it really needed.

So yes........ I am picky and proud of it. I know there are some that think the whole world should should stop when they ride but have you been to a hunter barn or western barn lately they may not have a term for it but I can tell you its just as bad. :)

Marcella
Jan. 21, 2011, 03:37 PM
2)If you have an indoor tie all the horses on the inside of the indoor ring. It makes riding a long side very difficult. Tack up in the stall.

5) Pick up after yourself I really do not need to see exercise balls, pool noodles, flags, tarps and baby strollers all over the ring becasue you are de-sensitizing your horse to them the "Clinton Anderson way".

8) Ride a clean horse........I do not care on the discpline but take pride in what you do.

10) Laught at the dressage whip but come on spurs so big and loud I feel like I am in a John Wayne movie.... is it really needed.

I agree with all of your statements, but these really speak to me. They tie the horses in the indoor at the barn I am currently at and it annoys me greatly. Especially when the tied horses freak out and start flailing around.

I will play with some of the stuff, but I always put it back. Same thing goes for jumps. Your mother doesn't live there, and there is no maid service.

Dirty horses are disgusting, and the people who leave their horses dirty are even worse.

Why do people wear spurs that clank around when they aren't anywhere even near a horse? There was a small group of people that went out from my barn for dinner, and in my attempt to be sociable I tagged along. They made fun of me because I had my tall boots on, even though they had ridiculous spurs on. Odd thing was that I was the only person that actually rode my horse that day. Everyone else was too busy desensitizing and leaving their dirty horses tied up in the arena.

Marcella
Jan. 21, 2011, 03:37 PM
Haha- We are in the same area and my farrier told me the story, too (not knowing I'd witnessed it). Wonder if we have the same farrier? JF?

My story was corroborated! Yes, we have the same farrier. ;)

stryder
Jan. 21, 2011, 04:23 PM

I'm with you on some of these .... except this one. My mare is a mostly-white bay paint, and she loves to roll in the mud. Which this time of year, we have in abundance. If I'm trying to squeeze in a ride between the up/down lessons and crazy hand-gallop group lessons, I pick her hooves, wipe off her head and girth area, and ride.

And then after, while they're all cantering about, I groom her head to tail. It isn't that I don't have any pride. Far from it. I'm just trying to take advantage of a quieter window.

MelantheLLC
Jan. 21, 2011, 06:33 PM
One day a few years ago, at a previous barn, I went to tack up. Groomed, saddled, stood there looking at my horse thinking--"Something is wrong here."

After a few seconds, I realized there were no stirrups on my saddle.

After hunting all over the barn, baffled as to where my stirrups could have gone, one of the workers told me that X trainer had probably taken them.

This wasn't even my trainer. But when I found her (the next day!), she just shrugged and said, "Oh yes, I was trying a new saddle and I needed them." No apology, and almost an air of, "Why are you bothering me about this?"

A lovely dressage rider and good trainer, but geez. If you must take my stirrups w/o asking--at least put them back the way they were, thank you! Sense of entitlement, anyone?

EasyStreet
Jan. 21, 2011, 07:37 PM
I owned a tb but accepted a working student position in exchange for lesson on the BO/instructors "GP" hanoverian gelding! I was so excited for the oportunity but quickly became dismaded as I could NOT get this horse forward AT ALL! I then spoke with several people all much better riders than myself who were suprised that I got him to trot..he had planted his feet and refused to move for them at all. I had NEVER had this problem with any horse! When I told the instructor that I was very frustrated and that I could easily get my TB mare nicely forward with the lightest of aids She curtly responded to me that her horse was NOT a STUPID TB!!!:eek: She had to muck her own stalls the next day!:lol::lol:

Still Workingonit
Jan. 22, 2011, 01:10 AM
Okay -this is between a BNT (for NZ) and a wannabe BNT ... with me in the middle.

I was working my then 3-year old mare around an arena on , you know the biggies - steering, transitions, corners (HUGGGEEEEE) and the like and mainly at a walk - and the wannabe came in to give a lesson. NOw, neither of us owned this arena and neither of us worked there - it was just a farm that allowed outside people to use their arena so I thought "NO problem, we will share, it will be good for mare mare". THe Wannabe had her student carening all over the place - I am really not sure what she was actually aiming at teaching - and into me or onto my line repeatedly. Frustrating but I tried to use it as a training exercise - I decided that it was a good time to practice looking up whch is one of my failings :).

BNT - who I had trained with and had had a spectacular falling out with a few years earlier - arrived to do an assessment lesson for one of her pupils on a new horse. She saw what was happening and immediately came over and started "giving me a hand". Gratefully received as she has a lot of knowledge particularly with the WBs. We had had a personality clash not a knowledge clash. Wannabe sends her horse into mine again and BNT has an absolute German hissy fit about uncontrrollable horses etc screaming at the Wannabe about ettiquite etc - jumping up and down, throwing her whip on the ground, shaking her fists in rage .... My horse resembled a giraffe with her head up and staring at her. After that little kerfuffle, BNT went back to quietly giving me a hand - with her suggestions made in a soft nice voice. She asked to sit on my mare - not a problem - and woe betide the other trainer if she got in her way.

Looking back, it was very amusing. At the time, riding a not-quite-lit powder keg of a 3-year old - not so much.

Bethe Mounce
Jan. 22, 2011, 08:26 AM
I am just howling with laughter about the "relinquish your whip" scenario! I can see that happening in my neck of the woods! I will have to use that comment with my kids and see what they say and how they react!!!! LOL!!!!

coloredhorse
Jan. 22, 2011, 08:41 AM
... s/he suddenly said, "Vell...he issss not my kind ov horse, but eef I had an Appaloooooosa, I vould vant one like ziss." S/he also referred to a friends hot, narrow, "Currier & Ives" looking black TB mare as "cute," but s/he did mean it kindly.

Nice compliment for your horse, Sandy! :)

Grataan
Jan. 31, 2012, 10:34 PM
I was once boarding at a barn that I can only describe as if Pat Parelli divorced Linda and Linda then became a full fledged ACTUAL DQ/BO/BM. Imagine if all the bad things and none of the good things of either discipline combined into one married couple that still needed lessons on things like how to tack up properly.

My stallion had cracked a sesamoid and been on prolonged stall rest and had had a few bouts with colic due to weather changes etc. So I finally get to take him to the indoor for his 3 mins of walking quietly and rolling on a line if he can be good (which he was) and the following happens.

Stallion calmly walking an approx 15m circle on a longe line at one end of large indoor, sniffing the ground, looking for his place to roll. One other person in arena, sitting on her horse at the gate at the far end of arena chatting to another boarder. BO comes in and starts chatting. Boarder on horse tries to get horse to move away from gate. Horse does classic "I don't want to, I want to stand here at the gate" move. BO screams out "Grataan, you need to get Treasure out of the arena NOW" I assume he is joking, since T is just...sniffling the dirt, about to roll again. I joke back "oh yeah because he's so out of control right" and LOL. So he storms into the arena and throws an epic fit, complete with stomping and spittle flying. Apparently, a horse on the longe line at the walk, calmly sniffing the ground at the completely opposite end of the arena was so distracting to the other horse that she became absolutely incapable of well, anything.

BO screams "he is disgracefully misbehaving (?) and being a huge distraction! Remove him from this arena at once or ELSE" (dun dun DUNNNN) I was like, "or else what?" and my trainer, who was watching from the rail and also assumed he was joking yells out " OH, you mean, or else I will PACK UP ALL of my horses and all of my trainers and we will move them TONIGHT?" BO just stood in the arena with his mouth agape as the rest of the non-crazy boarders clapped.

Kadenz
Feb. 1, 2012, 10:08 AM
One day a few years ago, at a previous barn, I went to tack up. Groomed, saddled, stood there looking at my horse thinking--"Something is wrong here."

After a few seconds, I realized there were no stirrups on my saddle.

After hunting all over the barn, baffled as to where my stirrups could have gone, one of the workers told me that X trainer had probably taken them.

This wasn't even my trainer. But when I found her (the next day!), she just shrugged and said, "Oh yes, I was trying a new saddle and I needed them." No apology, and almost an air of, "Why are you bothering me about this?"

A lovely dressage rider and good trainer, but geez. If you must take my stirrups w/o asking--at least put them back the way they were, thank you! Sense of entitlement, anyone?

Um, I have a major feeling I know who you're talking about. :lol: Was this in IL?

2DogsFarm
Feb. 1, 2012, 10:37 AM
Can I play?
I have 3 stories - 2 DQ-related & 1 to show DQism is not restricted to Dressage ;)

#1 - at a show I witness a not-so-nice ride then amble back to the barn to witness the rider of the NSN ride addressing her horse in the crossties:
"You SHAMED me!!!"
Followed by smacking horse across the chest with her whip.
Uh yeah...I'm sure horsie was thinking: "Yes, Mistress, I humbly apologize and accept your wrath..."
Or more likely:
:confused:

#2 - I bring my horse to a clinic and directly after taking him off the trailer, put him in the crossties to tack up.
Bug-eyed barn resident DQ comes skittering up to me:
"Those are (resident BNT)'s crossties!!!"
Um, ok...but BNT was nowhere in sight, there was no sign forbidding use of crossties & they were unoccupied. And BTW, I am a guest in your barn, how's about a modicum of courtesy?

#3 - attending mostly WP show with BO & her 20-something son - the BM. Just before he goes into a class, whining like a 3yo for Mommy to adjust his chaps :rolleyes:
so maybe not DQ, but WPP*?

*Western Pleasure Prince

Alter1234
Feb. 1, 2012, 10:41 AM
We have several DQs - but one in particular just irritates the h*ll out of me. Thinks she owns the indoor, never calls anything, but will rant at you if you don't call. Has terrible balance, so balances off her hands (so much so that her horse is rein lame) yet openly critiques others for the same (and much less severe) fault.

She is loud - the whole barn doesn't need to know when your horse does something right, or wrong.

She is VERY competitive and I seem to be her favorite target. I think of dressage in golf terms - it's about your play and your score and improving upon it. Her main goal - to score higher than me.

Makes me want to take up hunt seat . . .

vervachel
Feb. 1, 2012, 10:53 AM
Well, I don't know if this is really a DQ story, it's more about how DQs are people too. When I was much, much younger, and just starting out on the whole dressage journey, I boarded at a very friendly barn full of other beginner owner/riders just like myself. We were a very friendly bunch. There was, however, one boarder who none of us spoke or interacted with. She was an elderly lady, rumored to be unbelievably wealthy. She was also still incredibly beautiful - picture a queen of the elves type - tall, willowy, silver haired. She would waft in and waft out, and we would all fall into total silence, simply mesmerized by her elegance in and out of the saddle. For some reason, none of us ever approached her, just watched her ride her stunning gelding - they clearly had a very special relationship.

One day, we were gathered round one of our friends, who was collapsed in tears. She had found her heart horse, and her husband was refusing to even consider purchasing it. As she was sobbing her heart out, this elderly woman was walking past the group, stopped, wafted back to us and said,in the voice of a Cate Blanchet, with both kindness and a wicked sparkle in her beautiful blue eyes, "Oh my dears, that is what blow jobs are for" and wafted out again! I think we all peed our pants laughing.

My friend did end up getting her heart horse - named her Bijoux and fondly referred to her as BJ for the 20 years that she had her! We still never spoke with the lady, but she was our hero for years after.

NOMIOMI1
Feb. 1, 2012, 10:54 AM
Watched a grown man yell in tears at his trainer because the groom didnt tighten his girth and his class was almost missed at a Hunter jumper show.

At a dressage schooling show (SCHOOLING show folks) a DQ ran a child over on her pony almost causing serious injury because she was doing an extension and we all sat horrified as she didnt even BEGIN to avoid, move, or halt and the DQ on a firebreathing dragon trotted off like the whole world owed her something for being on a giant and very talented import that could collect like Totilas, Half pass like Ravel, Piaffe like a Spanish riding school horse... And later dump her at the mounting block like a NFR bronc :)

Ive watched a trainer ride a childs hunter insisting on "tuning" her up only to end up on the neck of that horse twice at the fences and then later screaming how dangerous it was because she couldnt get the mare to do a small jumper course... The childs mother of course let her child show her mare and of course was in the ribbons... The mother later called me (since the mare was actually mine that I was leasing to the family) and told me someone should have told the trainer that this mare preferred a nice asking ride rather than a you must jump this cause my crop says so... I told the mother... No someone should have reminded the trainer that she was on an appy! Trainers can still learn a thing or two from those school horses eh?

Rhiannonjk
Feb. 1, 2012, 11:07 AM
So I took my youngster to his first recognized show. We were away from the stall for a little bit (I don't remember if we were washing or riding, or what) and when I get back my stall neighbor had moved in and her saddle was almost blocking our stall door. I carefully moved it a couple of inches, and informed the stall neighbor that she may want to relocate her saddle because my horse was young, inquisitive, and somtimes clumsy, and I wouldn't want him to knock it over or anything.

A few minutes later I heard "OhmyGod don't touch that! It probably cost more than you!" she was yelling at my horse, who had evidently touched her saddle with his nose.

My horse isn't all that fancy, but d*mn, I thought he looked like he was worth as much as most saddles.

I had a few laughs over it with my show buddy and proceeded to have a fabulous weekend. Cranky stall neighbor left early on Saturday. I guess her ridiculously expensive saddle didn't buy the scores she wanted?

(In her defense, she realized what came out of her mouth the moment she said it, and apologized.)

Velvet
Feb. 1, 2012, 11:38 AM
A few minutes later I heard "OhmyGod don't touch that! It probably cost more than you!" she was yelling at my horse, who had evidently touched her saddle with his nose.

My horse isn't all that fancy, but d*mn, I thought he looked like he was worth as much as most saddles.

I had a few laughs over it with my show buddy and proceeded to have a fabulous weekend. Cranky stall neighbor left early on Saturday. I guess her ridiculously expensive saddle didn't buy the scores she wanted?

(In her defense, she realized what came out of her mouth the moment she said it, and apologized.)

Funny, I used to tell one of my horses that all the time. It was true. I'd nearly stolen him from someone who just had too many horses and needed to sell NOW. Whenever he had a naughty day I would tell him he was cheaper to replace than my saddle. :D Not really true at that point in his training, but it was funny.

mbm
Feb. 1, 2012, 11:39 AM
Well, I don't know if this is really a DQ story, it's more about how DQs are people too. When I was much, much younger, and just starting out on the whole dressage journey, I boarded at a very friendly barn full of other beginner owner/riders just like myself. We were a very friendly bunch. There was, however, one boarder who none of us spoke or interacted with. She was an elderly lady, rumored to be unbelievably wealthy. She was also still incredibly beautiful - picture a queen of the elves type - tall, willowy, silver haired. She would waft in and waft out, and we would all fall into total silence, simply mesmerized by her elegance in and out of the saddle. For some reason, none of us ever approached her, just watched her ride her stunning gelding - they clearly had a very special relationship.

One day, we were gathered round one of our friends, who was collapsed in tears. She had found her heart horse, and her husband was refusing to even consider purchasing it. As she was sobbing her heart out, this elderly woman was walking past the group, stopped, wafted back to us and said,in the voice of a Cate Blanchet, with both kindness and a wicked sparkle in her beautiful blue eyes, "Oh my dears, that is what blow jobs are for" and wafted out again! I think we all peed our pants laughing.

My friend did end up getting her heart horse - named her Bijoux and fondly referred to her as BJ for the 20 years that she had her! We still never spoke with the lady, but she was our hero for years after.

great story!

Tamara in TN
Feb. 1, 2012, 11:48 AM
I was at a show and a DQ complained that a woman in the house next to the showgrounds was digging in her garden and the sound of the shovel hitting rocks was bothering her horse. l!

the local big arena used to hold Dressage Events...;)

that came to an abrupt end when during the "tests" some poor guy with a minimum wage job had the temerity to try to load the Coke machines well above and away from the "majikal animals" in the arena floor below....

well the DQ's raised total hell about the whole thing with the Event Manager and he made the Poor Joe quit....

They were appeased........

Until.....

the next season rolled around and they called again for the arena and the Event Manager happily informed them that he had rented the dates out for a paintball tournament instead...:lol::lol:

and I have it ALL first hand from him,that he NEVER wanted those people back again;)

Tamara

Velvet
Feb. 1, 2012, 11:51 AM

:lol: Love it! :lol:

Tamara in TN
Feb. 1, 2012, 11:58 AM
As she was sobbing her heart out, this elderly woman was walking past the group, stopped, wafted back to us and said,in the voice of a Cate Blanchet, with both kindness and a wicked sparkle in her beautiful blue eyes, "Oh my dears, that is what blow jobs are for" and wafted out again! I think we all peed our pants laughing.

THAT is good stuff....Himself was entertained as well :lol:;) thank you for it!!

Tamara

amm2cd
Feb. 1, 2012, 12:35 PM
Well, I don't know if this is really a DQ story, it's more about how DQs are people too.
We still never spoke with the lady, but she was our hero for years after.

Doesn't sound like the older woman was the DQ in this story... After a great one liner like that you guys still couldn't include her?

Holly Jeanne
Feb. 1, 2012, 01:14 PM

I'm finding all of these funny but particularly this one since I used a ground pole when my mare was having trouble getting her canter departs. Worked too!

Not a DQ but when my mare was born (I bred her), my sister drove 8 hours to visit and see her. She brought my niece and one of my niece's friends with her. Niece's friend considered herself a horse person and had been taking lessons and did ok at a brief walk and trot on my other mare. Anyway, she walks up and looks at my week old solid bay Trakehner filly and immediately exclaims that she looks like a mule. The look on her face was priceless when I smiled and thanked her and informed her that large ears on a Trakehner mare were a good thing. This mare has since scored very well at her inspection and I've had more than one person ask if I'd consider selling her. :lol:

Tamara in TN
Feb. 1, 2012, 01:21 PM
Anyway, she walks up and looks at my week old solid bay Trakehner filly and immediately exclaims that she looks like a mule. The look on her face was priceless when I smiled and thanked her and informed her that large ears on a Trakehner mare were a good thing. This mare has since scored very well at her inspection and I've had more than one person ask if I'd consider selling her. :lol:

I am always teasing my friend about his big eared horses...
when a new one is born it is always:
"gawd almighty look at those donkey ears"

but cha know....they have carried him faithfully for years w/o major incident and he is nearly 70 ;):lol:

Tamara

LilyandBaron
Feb. 1, 2012, 01:28 PM
This was at a lovely little dressage schooling show. There were two outdoor arenas going, and a small indoor and a grass area for schooling. The grass area was HUGE - plenty of room for schooling. A DQ on a very badly behaved horse asked EVERYONE to vacate the area (maybe a full acre field???) because her horse was acting up. Her horse was definitely all over the place, but the schooling show is for EVERYONE, not just you and your terror of a horse. If he's disrupting everyone else, YOU need to get off and figure it out, not keep monopolizing the schooling area. Unbelievable.

DownYonder
Feb. 1, 2012, 02:02 PM
...they taught the way they had been taught--with savage demands and military precision. You did not speak, you did not question, you treated the instructor as if they were a general who could break you down to mopping the floor with your tongue if they felt like it.

Oh, yeah. Know more than a few dressage trainers like that - many of whom had been working students for a certain minor league BNT who had studied in Europe for some time. Said BNT learned that old school European method of treating students, staff, and clients with utter contempt and disdain, and many of her protégés apparently figured it was the way things were supposed to be - so of course they now have the same attitude toward their own students, staff, and clients. :rolleyes:

But one of my funnest experiences was not with a DQ per se. She was a fox hunting diva with two horses, and we happened to board at the same barn, which had two wash racks. I came in the barn one late fall day after working my dressage mare and said FHD (fox hunting diva) had BOTH her horses in the wash racks. She was busily pulling the mane on one horse, other horse was just standing there. So I asked if she could move the second horse so I could hose off my hot, sweaty mare. She proceeded to tell me, "No, I am working on him." Uh, really? You appear to be standing on a step stool in the other wash rack, working on the OTHER horse. So I point this out to her, and she proceeds to rip me a new one about how she has had to wait for me at times to vacate the wash rack. Uh, I have never monopolized both wash racks at the same time - sort of hard to do since I only had one horse. I try to reason with her, she keeps screaming at me, and I finally give up and put my sweaty mare in her stall.

All this had taken place pretty much in front of the barn owner, who was body clipping another horse in the crossties in the aisle. She had tried several times to intervene and get the other woman to move one of her horses, but had also been shouted down. BO final says "enough is enough", and goes and removes the FHD's other horse from the washrack and puts him in his stall. FHD is flabbergasted anyone would DARE do something like that. BO looks her straight in the eye and says, "You say one more word and you can pack your bags." FHD is so furious she moved her horses to another barn a few weeks later. Good riddance from the BO and me - the woman always was a PIA prima donna. :lol:

crystalyoung1
Feb. 1, 2012, 02:09 PM
The local Hunter trainer near me decided one year to offer a very low level schooling dressage show for both his students and the local dressage community. Well on show day the DQ's complained loud and often about everythig from the footing( very nice if you ask me) to the warm up area( a large grass field) to the stabling:(. Of course the HT never had another dressage show due to all of this:o. And yet the local DQ's( who have never even ridden at a recgonized show above training level) STILL talk bad about the show! We have very limited show oportunities in this area which makes the loss of HT's show even harder to take:mad:.

kbennett322
Feb. 1, 2012, 02:18 PM
About 2 weeks after I lost my mare to a freak accident, I did a schooling show, I had signed up for before her death, on a really green horse that I had never ridden before (switched to Intro, was there just to ride and try to enjoy). I didnt realize at the time, but the judge was well known and I think an "r".

My final turn down the centerline the greenie forgot that he could turn and we made our way to X by zig-zagging back and forth over the centerline, but we got there with me giggling the whole time. It was the first time, since my beloved horse's death, that I had smiled and I really got kick out of the little guy.

During our little conversation after my test, the judge proceeded to tell me that I had best "control my laughter in my next test" because "dressage was a serious sport." Her comments though brief, really hit home, more than likely due to my emotional state at the time but there you have it. I finished my next test with no laughing...but havent felt the same about showing since.

It was intro, at a schooling show for god sakes...lighten up lady.

katarine
Feb. 1, 2012, 02:52 PM
Kbennett, please don't let one sour little r ruin anything for you. It's one of those situations where it's too bad you didn't bust out laughing and say God love ya, and bless your putrid little heart!

fairtheewell
Feb. 1, 2012, 03:06 PM
Back in the very early 90's, in January, I was working around Wellington/White Fences...and my father, who was up North suddenly became deathly ill, and so I had to tell the people I worked for that I had to leave for this emergency...well....one of the people I had to tell is a very influential DQ/breeder there, who looked at me and then actually said as she gazed upwards..."why does he have to die this month!!". Nuff said...whack job .

Holly Jeanne
Feb. 1, 2012, 03:12 PM
A DQ on a very badly behaved horse asked EVERYONE to vacate the area (maybe a full acre field???) because her horse was acting up.

I took my mare to a schooling show last May that kind of fit this description only the schooling area wasn't all that huge and wasn't level. My mare, bred and kept at home, freaked at the ponies galloping at her. I did not, however, ask them to leave. I dismounted, left, and showed my class cold. It wasn't their problem. Still trying to get her used to riding around other horses when we ride alone all the time.

quietann
Feb. 1, 2012, 03:22 PM
My old trainer (a BNT) said that in her barn, she was the only one allowed to be a DQ. That was the Ground Rule you accepted by boarding/training there. And you know? That barn had less drama than just about any barn I've been to.

My "DQish" complaints are the usual... being nearly run down by ULRs in warm-up arenas who did not call their lines, nearly getting smacked by their whips etc. Overall, though, dressage riders have been nice to me and most love my little horse.

ReSomething
Feb. 1, 2012, 03:32 PM
. . . God love ya, and bless your putrid little heart!

LOVE this! It made me laugh out loud, and KBennet, you just laugh as much as you want - schooling shows are for schooling and trying to do the best you can with what you have.

Putrid hearted "r" judges not withstanding. *giggle*

netg
Feb. 1, 2012, 03:37 PM
About 2 weeks after I lost my mare to a freak accident, I did a schooling show, I had signed up for before her death, on a really green horse that I had never ridden before (switched to Intro, was there just to ride and try to enjoy). I didnt realize at the time, but the judge was well known and I think an "r".

My final turn down the centerline the greenie forgot that he could turn and we made our way to X by zig-zagging back and forth over the centerline, but we got there with me giggling the whole time. It was the first time, since my beloved horse's death, that I had smiled and I really got kick out of the little guy.

During our little conversation after my test, the judge proceeded to tell me that I had best "control my laughter in my next test" because "dressage was a serious sport." Her comments though brief, really hit home, more than likely due to my emotional state at the time but there you have it. I finished my next test with no laughing...but havent felt the same about showing since.

It was intro, at a schooling show for god sakes...lighten up lady.

Reminds me of a judge I had at a schooling show. A friend was riding her Arab who she typically did fairly well on (60s at rated shows, 3rd level) but hadn't shown in a while, so she was doing some 2nd level schooling for a refresher. Her scores were in the 30s or 40s with comments that she needs to learn to ride tests rather than ride a pattern, as it wasn't a breed show. Umm... yeah, this was when the horse was being good! That same judge had protests filed against her as an official in other USEF situations, so it was just someone with a bad attitude.

I had to guess she wouldn't have written how much she loved my horse all over my tests if she'd known he was an OTTB...

carolprudm
Feb. 1, 2012, 03:54 PM

OMG THE BEST!!!!

murieics
Feb. 1, 2012, 04:00 PM
The latest at my barn, when the BODQ is on a particular horse, all riders now must ride in the same direction as BODQ and said horse.

For some reason, this struck me as particularly amusing. No idea why, really, other than that I can totally see it in my mind- sort of like a choreographed riding session that everyone is required to participate in.

This is just great- the last paragraph takes it from funny to hysterical.

meupatdoes
Feb. 1, 2012, 04:10 PM
My favorite encounter was in the warm up ring for year end schooling show finals. I was minding my business riding my horse and successfully avoiding the trainer/student combo who evidently had woken up that morning thinking "We think we'll do First Level today!" and were also apparently of the impression that that "in the warmup" was a good time to learn, (with much bouncing and desperate flailing), how to legyield.

I successfully tuned the whole dog and pony show to blah, until I realized with a start that this trainer had decided, spontaneously, to coach me as well. My entire warmup was being narrated along with helpful tips and suggestions for improvement. This wasn't just a phrase or two, it was an ongoing narration and full on lesson.

Needless to say I ignored her completely (though I did say a polite "Thanks!" when heading in to my test), and only one horse in that warmup went in the ring to score a 75%, aaand ...it wasn't theirs. But I suppose now at least the trainer can say she "coached" someone to a 75% at year end finals! Happy to be of service. :lol::lol:

Dressage_Julie
Feb. 1, 2012, 04:19 PM
Had a lady that boarded at the same barn... always found a reason why not to ride, or why her trainer should ride the horse. One night she came out in the evening (my normal alone time), she chatted me up for a bit... then went to get her horse, and the barn owner had just dropped grain. So she says to me, well I cannot ride now that he has been fed. I say, well if you grab him now it shouldn't be an issue (1.she doesn't ride that hard and 2.the horse gets a handful of grain). She gets the horse from the stall and starts grooming.
Then says to me with the most serious expression on her face,
"I have never ridden in the evening before and my horse has never seen the indoor with the lights on. Do you think I am going to have a problem?"
At first I thought she was joking, but nope she was dead serious. So I replied, "If you don't tell him it isn't natural light there shouldn't be a problem."
Then she says, "Well to be safe, would you mind if I hand walked him while you ride."
I say, "No problem, you can lunge if you want."
She gives me a glare and says " He just ate, I cannot work him now!"
I say, "OK, better stick to just hand walking him then."

True dressage queen form, afraid to ride her fancy horse!

Sandy M
Feb. 1, 2012, 04:48 PM
Ah, yes. The old Quaresian vs. Thoroughdale argument! :lol: :lol: :lol:

People often try to guess what the "non-Appaloosa" part of my horse is. He's QUITE a nice mover, with suspension, 16.2 h.h......Most guess TB, Hanoverian, Trakhener, Dutch....and just about plotz when I tell them "Purebred Crabbet-line Arabian." LOL But, compared to a European WB, I guess he's just bred to chase buffalo and gallop across the desert. Too big for endurance, tho.......*G*

As for the DQs, I guess I should take Velvet's hint about two whips held perpendicularly to the horse: There's a local DQ who, at shows, acts as if she's the only person in the warmup. Yield left-shoulder/left-shoulder? Not on your life. You'd BETTER get out of her way. You're doing a circle? Well, she MUST cut thorugh it at extended trot! You get the picture. Always makes we wish I had my old event horse: Nearly 17 hands of grounchy App who was intimidated by NOTHING. I once went to yield properly to another rider in my home arena, and the guy looked up at the last moment and HE tried to yield...right into me. His horse hit my horse's shoulder. My guy stood his ground, the other horse was knocked off its feet!! Wonder how the DQ would like THAT? LOL

(nobody hurt beyond a bruise or two)

lovey1121
Feb. 1, 2012, 04:59 PM
I successfully tuned the whole dog and pony show to blah, until I realized with a start that this trainer had decided, spontaneously, to coach me as well. My entire warmup was being narrated along with helpful tips and suggestions for improvement. This wasn't just a phrase or two, it was an ongoing narration and a full on lesson. :lol::lol:

:lol:I had an eerily similar thing happen at a schooling show. My BFF and student was showing her gorgeous Morgan for the 1st time. This woman comes over to me and starts chatting about how nice the horse is, etc. I thank her and try to get back to business, walking away from Chatty Cathy. She moves with me, continuing to burble, and then starts speaking to MY student! At first it was all compliments, but then she starts blurting out, "Half-halt! Good! More forward!" And the best was...wait for it...."BRAAAV!"

No one seemed to know who she was, and she "helped" a couple other people. I never saw her again anywhere.:eek:

bathsheba8542
Feb. 1, 2012, 05:13 PM
We are fortunately free of a toxic DQ who one afternoon came stomping out of the indoor, and "started in" (euphemism for ranting like a maniac) on the new barn manager about how dangerous it was to ride in because "H" was loose from the kick wall and a horse could be seriously injured by this sharp and dangerous object. His response... "Really? I doubt there is much risk of an injury. THE LETTERS ARE PAPER."

atr
Feb. 1, 2012, 05:16 PM
I am as blind as a bat at a distance without my glasses on, especially in low light, and I tend not to wear my glasses in the barn. As a result one day I managed to completely ignore a person who had just moved in rather than being my normal cheerful and welcoming self.

(At this point I should explain that I own a very loud and fancy leopard appy. Hey, I can find him in the field at dusk...)

Mortified, I turned to the person tacking up in the next cross tie and said "Oh Lord, I hope she doesn't think I'm a total DQ!"

To which she responded with a snort of laughter and "unlikely, with YOUR horse!"

OK then...

(I have a trainer-stalker in warmups at shows, too. Just bizarre. Does she think I'm going to drop my trainer and rush to work with her?)

arabiansrock
Feb. 1, 2012, 05:29 PM
Sandy - does this trainer happen to show at arab breed shows by any chance? Cause I have been almost run over several times by someone just like that!!!

BetterOffRed
Feb. 1, 2012, 05:30 PM
I am not really sure what kind of DQ moment this is...but it was def. a DQ moment.

A friend and I were both riding in a clinic, it was on a lunch break and we were arguing about our Words with Friends word choices... the word was 'vodun' ...some form of voodoo, and arguing if it was a real word or not.

A DQ trainer, infamous for railbirding, waltzes past us in a cloud of Marlboro, and in a haughty voice says, "Ladies, it is bad karma to talk about other people."

We both stepped away from her, fearful of where the lightening might strike, simultaneosly looked at her and rolled our eyes, "don't be paranoid,we're talking about WWF!"

xQHDQ
Feb. 1, 2012, 05:49 PM
There was a group of us who had switched from showing QH to showing dressage. Our trainer sold her farm and moved us into a big H/J barn with dressage people thrown in. One of us had this cute little QH who was quiet, well trained, and perfect for her - she rode but she also loved to spend hours brushing him and spending time with him. The head DQ at this barn proceed to lecture her about how she was wasting her time grooming this horse because he wasn't worth anything. Well, he was worth the world to her and isn't all that matters?

BetterOffRed
Feb. 1, 2012, 05:52 PM
[QUOTE=xQHDQ;6114848] The head DQ at this barn proceed to lecture her about how she was wasting her time grooming this horse because he wasn't worth anything. QUOTE]

And that DQ is still alive??? She would have been dead before she had even finished that statement...Death by chocking on a curry comb! :yes:

oldernewbie
Feb. 1, 2012, 07:14 PM
I've told this story before on here, but here goes again. I was at a schooling show this summer. Tacked up horse, took him out in an open field about 100 feet away from the dressage ring (with trucks and trailers in between us and the ring) and longed him. He was a little up, but nothing unusual. After longing session, a nice lady on a Friesian came by to tell me that her horse was distracted by my horse while she was riding her test because he is really attached to a gray horse at home. So she was just riding by to let her horse see my horse so he would know that it wasn't his buddy from home. OK fine, I didn't give it another thought.

Later that afternoon I was chatting with Friesian lady's trainer (I guess) and she chastised me soundly for longing my horse and distracting her client's horse. Now really, this was at a busy busy show with a hunter ring going, a very busy warmup area for both dressage and the hunters etc. And how in the world was I supposed to know that my horse would distract Mr. Friesian? Really? Did she expect the whole show grounds to clear out?

One of the most :confused::confused::confused: things ever said to me since I've started dressage!

Sandy M
Feb. 1, 2012, 07:19 PM
Sandy - does this trainer happen to show at arab breed shows by any chance? Cause I have been almost run over several times by someone just like that!!!

Nah, there must be a second one, because the one I'm thinking of always has HUGE WBs that she appears to be a leetle bit afraid of....She is successful through FEI levels, though.

Sandy M
Feb. 1, 2012, 07:25 PM
"gawd almighty look at those donkey ears"

but cha know....they have carried him faithfully for years w/o major incident and he is nearly 70 ;):lol:

Tamara

The Grand National Horse Show in San Francisco at the Cow Palace used to have an "Appaloosa Day." Then one year, Monday became "Mule Day" and Tuesday, "Appaloosa Day." When I showed up on Monday (for overnight stabling) on my 16.3 h.h. and rather large-ear App, several of the mule exhibitors asked me if I was cross-entering both divisions!

mbm
Feb. 1, 2012, 08:08 PM
We are fortunately free of a toxic DQ who one afternoon came stomping out of the indoor, and "started in" (euphemism for ranting like a maniac) on the new barn manager about how dangerous it was to ride in because "H" was loose from the kick wall and a horse could be seriously injured by this sharp and dangerous object. His response... "Really? I doubt there is much risk of an injury. THE LETTERS ARE PAPER."

o.m.g. !! >snort<

Snugglerug
Feb. 1, 2012, 09:12 PM
I was working as official show photographer at a recognized 2 arena show when a DQ complained to show management that my camera had clicked too loudly and spooked her horse. Show management had the good sense to laugh.

DownYonder
Feb. 2, 2012, 06:44 AM
I was working as official show photographer at a recognized 2 arena show when a DQ complained to show management that my camera had clicked too loudly and spooked her horse. Show management had the good sense to laugh.

Along those lines - Nicole Uphoff apparently complained at the Atlanta Olympics that Rembrandt was spooked by the statues next to each letter on the long side of the arena. Said statues were maybe 2 feet tall, and only partially visible through the draping flowers set next to them. The statues were there for the GP and GPS, but were removed for the Freestyle. Guess when you are the reigning Olympic Gold Medalist, you are a serious DQ! :lol:

sid
Feb. 2, 2012, 08:24 AM
I swear I will never forget this or even understand it. Many years ago a dressage rider (and billed herself as an instructor/trainer) who worked here eventually brought her young dressage prospect to the farm to board. She would only allow him turnout in a very small paddock, because if let out into a larger pasture "he might use the wrong muscles"....:confused::confused::confused::eek:.

Super control freak, who lunge her horse obsessively before getting on. She rode 2 of mine for me (not youngsters), but I could feel things going south when I got on them again. One day said couldn't figure out why she had such bad luck with her last 3 horses u/s. They'd do well for about 3 weeks, then come up with gait issues. That was my first and last experience seeing rein-lameness. She moved on, so I don't know if she ever figured out she was the problem. :no:

Holly Jeanne
Feb. 2, 2012, 08:49 AM
"gawd almighty look at those donkey ears

Thought I might end up with one a few years ago. Neighbors had their jack in the field next to mine and my then 2 yo mare was in love. I had to move her to another field. :lol: Might have been fun to have a mule that was 1/4 TB and 1/4 Trakehner. :D May have to put a fancy mule in my pasture someday. In the meantime, I trail ride with someone who ride a mammoth donkey and my girls LOVE him.

ise@ssl
Feb. 2, 2012, 09:13 AM
I had to board some of my horses when we were building my arena. Ended up at a DQ facility and it wasn't pleasant. The "Uber" DQ was a woman who's horses didn't get turn out. One would spend most of the day in the sall on his hind legs. When she put her horses in the grooming stall they were there forever. She had about 1/3 of the boarders tack room. When I brought in one normal sized tack trunk there was only one space for it - against the wall where the bridle hooks were. It was a wooden tack trunk with the metal corner protectors.
She confronted me with the "one hand on the hip" posture and said she had torn her favorite pants on my tack trunk. I told her that was unfortunate. She asked why I put it where it was. I said "Because that's were I was told to put it because there's no other place in the tack room for it.". She said her tailor couldn't fix the pants and that I should buy her a new pair. I laughed and walked away.
Second episode. She came to me and said the manager didn't want to pay the man who did the stalls to clean the bathroom. So she felt we should all take turns cleaning the bathroom. I told her I didn't use it because I only lived 1/2 mile away and I had enough bathrooms at home to clean I wasn't cleaning the one in this barn.

Watermark Farm
Feb. 2, 2012, 03:05 PM
I live near the barn of an international dressage judge. Once I went to her facility to watch my boarder take a lesson. I parked and then stood in the middle of the parking area trying to figure out which arena to go to. Suddenly, the trainer mounted in the indoor started SCREAMING at me (I mean, really loud and embarassing) to "Who are you?! Stop STANDING there! You are spooking horses!"

alakazam
Feb. 2, 2012, 03:58 PM
I went to my very first dressage show this past fall and there was a lady in my division that shows all the time. She was complaining as she was riding out of the ring after a test because a volunteer was using a staple gun. It wasn't even near the ring, lol! She made the motion of using a staple gun and was saying *Ka-Chunk, Ka-Chunk* It was sooo funny!

This was the same lady that was caught using a double twisted wire on that horse before going into the ring by a steward. The let her change bits and show. Later, I was standing next to this woman looking at the posted results from our class. She was smiling and laughing and told the woman next to her "It's so funny when you're used to winning every class to only place 4th". Ugh! The nerve of her! I came in a half point behind her and was SOOO proud of my 5th place ribbon! I wanted to say "well maybe if they didn't catch your double twisted wire, you would have won." However, I'm new to our local dressage shows and I didn't want to ruffle too many feathers.

NOMIOMI1
Feb. 2, 2012, 04:07 PM
I totally forgot my DQ one before I ever started dressage! I turned my horse out in the arena and she had left her leather side reins on the rail and my horse ate them :lol: Like chomp chomp chomp they were gone and my appy went onto eating.. I dunno dirt or something after dragging what was left into the mud.

She was so angry because she rode all of her horses in them (yes rode) and I had to order her some off of dressage extensions only they were like 70$ and at 16 years old with a part time job to pay for my ponies I was very buuuuroookke... So it took me forever to replace them (plus shipping) anyway... She had to ride without them and all of that time she complained... Oh MOANED like she was giving birth and was rude about my horses and just about everything until I could hand them over and get her out of my life!

Wasnt until I did dressage myself that i realized how ENTIRELY RIDICULOUS this was!!!!! :eek:

Back then I was clueless and thought maybe all dressage people needed to "tie down" their horses head like standing martingale only tighter... What did i know... She had imports :yes::lol:

Side reins 70$, board at a place where they have DQ's in every arena 300$, accidentally letting my horse chew up their gear left at the arena causing someone with a bad attitude to actually have to ride for three weeks PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!

:lol::lol::lol:

Kadenz
Feb. 2, 2012, 04:14 PM
OMG, too many to count, as I personally know a DQ who probably blows many DQs out of the water.

I had to help clients find their OWN bits/bridles/stirrups/leathers/brushing boots/polo wraps/saddles/saddle pads/turnout blankets/riding gloves etc. so many times that as soon as I heard "Hey, does anyone know where my _____ is?" I automatically started retracing DQ's steps to find said missing item.

DQ once ordered me out of the indoor arena while I was in a LESSON (with DQ's training partner), for which I was PAYING, because the training horse DQ was riding was acting like a moron, and apparently I, with my old schoolmaster, were causing ALL of the problems. :rolleyes: Of course.

Who here has had their trainer/barn owner "borrow" your cooler, put it on her own horse who is notoriously destructive, and then not even OFFER to replace it when it's invariably shredded to bits? *raises hand* Yeah, that happened to me. :mad:

But this DQ can actually ride and teach and train, and that is why everyone puts up with the ridiculous, elitist, selfish behavior. Until they get fed up and decide to take their damn horse home, that is! :D

Vesper Sparrow
Feb. 2, 2012, 04:43 PM
I've been yelled at by a DQ for talking to a friend during someone's test, and it was in a low voice and not even about the person showing :eek:

sid
Feb. 2, 2012, 05:32 PM
You know, the best dressage trainers and riders that have passed my way when my farm was very active, never, ever acted like DQ's.

I think it's the blind followers that do.

In my experience the best of the best just happened to be extremely good horsemen, raised up by glomming to the best in the sport.

As several BNT's have said to me once I got to know them here... "ya know, we all started out as h/j riders"

Humility is a great teacher and the best don't forget that.

Ohhh...last thought. Yes, another DQ story (or shall I say wanna be a DQ and take lessons with our farm instructor who was wonderful.

Said instructor was just walking in the arena with her student, when my new boarder (wannabe) approached her about her lesson schedule and when she could start taking lessons.

Instructor said. I'm sorry but I have a lesson now. Please call me or email and we can arrange.

Once instructor was in the ring, the newbie took her brush and curry comb and winged them down the aisle in a fit of anger.

Holy cow. Within a few months because of her babyish, spoiled antics I pitched her ass out. :lol::lol::lol:

Eventually she found an instructor who would put up with her. $$ speaks to some I suppose.;)

Sandy M
Feb. 2, 2012, 07:11 PM
Along those lines - Nicole Uphoff apparently complained at the Atlanta Olympics that Rembrandt was spooked by the statues next to each letter on the long side of the arena. Said statues were maybe 2 feet tall, and only partially visible through the draping flowers set next to them. The statues were there for the GP and GPS, but were removed for the Freestyle. Guess when you are the reigning Olympic Gold Medalist, you are a serious DQ! :lol:

One barn where I go to shows has larger than lifesize lions on pedestals at one end of one of their two outdoor arenas. I checked the entry list and found that my rides on my VERY reactive youngster were both in that arena, so I LED him by them to get a good look. OMG, did he go ballistic. I finally got him to stand and stare at them, high blowing like an angry stallion. LOL

Well, we went through our routine lunge/warmup, etc. and when I went to do my tests, the lions were a total non-issue. Go figure. Of course, they were a permanent installation, so even if I'd been a Big Time DQ, I doubt they would have MOVED them! ROFLOLPIMP!!! No Nichole Uphoff I!!! *G*

SomethingChronic
Feb. 2, 2012, 08:12 PM

HAHAHAHA, there is a rider or two I can think of that I woulds love to say this too.

Shiaway
Feb. 2, 2012, 08:13 PM
Once when I was a working student at a very DQ-filled barn one of boarders called me over in the most snooty voice "Oh Shiaway, come here". She and I think there was another boarder with her were examining a cheap rubber, velcro bell boot that had ripped one of the velcros off (because that never happens right?)

She said, "Can you tell me something? Do you think the horses just step on these bell boots and cause them to rip like this or do you guys --meaning us working students-- just tear them off in when you undo them?"

I said I thought the horses just tore them off (I was pretty young and intimidated). She then made the most obnoxious, spoiled-brat sounding snort and threw the bell boot on the ground.

I went and told the manager and he talked to her. She apologized and told me she "was just kidding around".... right. Go back to badly riding the horse you had just bragged about using all your husband's money to buy you.

Although I'd have to say the worst DQ at that barn was a woman who wouldn't ever talk to you or look at you. It was like you didn't exist. Unless you were a trainer or the BM you were just dirt to her. If you needed to ask her a question about anything she would just pretend not to hear you. That was crazy. Seriously, just because I'm a working student doesn't mean you can treat me like crap. Just because I didn't marry a rich guy to buy me a fancy horse also doesn't mean I'm somehow less of a human being.

netg
Feb. 2, 2012, 11:41 PM
Although I'd have to say the worst DQ at that barn was a black woman who wouldn't ever talk to you or look at you. It was like you didn't exist. Unless you were a trainer or the BM you were just dirt to her. If you needed to ask her a question about anything she would just pretend not to hear you. That was crazy. Seriously, just because I'm a working student doesn't mean you can treat me like crap. Just because I didn't marry a rich guy to buy me a fancy horse also doesn't mean I'm somehow less of a human being.

I hate to point this out (well, I hate to have to point it out) but when you unnecessarily throw race into a description of someone in your "what a DQ!" story, you become the DQ of the story.

fatwhitepony
Feb. 3, 2012, 07:55 AM
Perhaps it is possible that the 'silent' woman was just avoiding becoming involved in or the subject of any barn drama by keeping herself 100% uninvolved! I have seen that happen, people going to the barn and keeping entirely to themselves and staying out of everyone's business. Though it seems like more work and effort than just being polite and saying hi to people once in a while.

OK, my DQ story.

When I was a small little nose picking kid, a friend and I were brought by our mothers to the local DQ headquarters (WI Equestrian Center....this is like 20+ years ago now). There was some competition going on and I think our mothers wanted to watch, but us kids were more interested in seeing each and every one of the pretty horses. There are some paddocks up behind the indoor, at the top of the hill, and some one had just turned out some frantic, screaming like a banshee, horse that was clearly in distress over being the only horse turned out at the moment. My friend and I stopped in our tracks, maybe 50 yards away from the paddock, to just watch the horse passaging and galavanting around his paddock ....we liked to see horses give their natural display. Much more interesting for us than watching the endless intro and training level tests at the time LOL (we were know nothing kids). Suddenly some presumed DQ from halfway down the hill side screamed at us at the top of her lungs, in the middle of the show, over the show rings, judging, loudspeakers and all, "HEY, STOP THAT!!!!". I mean like really screamed.

Um, what? Stop looking at the frantic horse? Stop breathing? What were we doing??? Looking back on this incident, she was pretty much acting like we may as well have been in the paddock with lunge whips chasing the horse around. Geesh.

Whatever...I think we walked off to see more horses, and had a little chuckle over the lady who screamed over an entire show.

Shiaway
Feb. 3, 2012, 10:14 AM
I hate to point this out (well, I hate to have to point it out) but when you unnecessarily throw race into a description of someone in your "what a DQ!" story, you become the DQ of the story.

You didn't have to. I realized it after I had posted but I had turned my computer off to go to bed and was too tired to get up and turn it back on to fix my post. The story had nothing to do with skin color so I should not have included the descriptor. I am not in any way racist believe me, well you don't have to of course but if you knew me and my background you would believe me I think. The reason I wrote it at all subconsciously was that I live in a very homogeneous area so it's unique to see someone who is not white. Like when I lived in Japan it would be unique to see someone who was not Japanese. And if the story took place there and it was an american who was the subject than I probably would have subconsciously had written "american woman"...which ironically wouldn't have been offensive by pc standards. But I should have turned the computer back on to fix it last night.

blackhorsegirl
Feb. 5, 2012, 04:24 PM
Put up with drama for years as a boarder. Have own facility now. We don't allow drama. I'd post a sign if I thought I could get away with it.

sid
Feb. 5, 2012, 07:21 PM
Haaaa....:lol:. You SHOULD -- post a sign that simply says "This is a No Drama Facility."

Wish I'd thought of that...:cool:

Core6430
Jun. 3, 2012, 08:52 AM
My DQ story... I took my 16.3h, 4 year old to his first rated show (he wasnt supposed to get that big, and I'm under 5' tall). He'd been to little schooling shows before and was fine (he was ALWAYS laid back, never batted an eye at anything). I'm riding him and we walk into the warm-up arena where a guy trainer is riding his big Dutch horse straight at us. I tried to get out of the way, but my horse freaks out and starts rearing and trying to bolt away. I get off, go lunge the horse away from everyone, get back on and go back in the warm-up. Same DK guy, on a different horse, comes barreling at us and misses slamming into us by about an inch. Scared the bejesus outta my boy. By the way, we were the only two horses in a HUGE arena. We won reserve champion at Training level that show. He was a wonderful horse. I miss him.

My issue lately has been Western trainers. They tie their horse's head to the stirrup and leave them in the arena while thy go do something else. I watched one tied horse nearly crash into a horse/rider that were in the arena. They lunge their horses at breakneck speeds for an hour and leave these ditches where the horse was running in circles. The trainer puts her horse in the cross ties and then leaves. They will move them if I can track them down to ask. And they're always very polite, but sometimes I'm amazed no one gets hurt.

chai
Jun. 3, 2012, 09:20 AM
Love these! I have two. I went with a friend at her invitation to meet her trainer and watch him school her horse. I was considering moving my horse to the trainer's barn. She introduced me to the trainer, a delightful man, and on his instruction, we sat in the corner to watch him school. My friend's horse was being very fresh, and he had his hands full. His wife, the Queen of all DQs came in with her horse and started working in front of us.
She was working her horse in circles in front of us while her husband was dealing with a bucking, plunging bronco about thirty feet away. After a couple of times around her half of the ring with her horse obviously picking up some of the bronc's energy, the DQ said to us, "Ladies, would you please leave the arena? Your whispering is distracting my horse."
Hmm...whispering is known to do that! Needless to say, I chalked that barn off my list.

story 2: A DQ was schooling her horse in a Dressage ring adjacent to a jump course. Her 10 year old daughter was in a lesson in the jump ring when the pony refused and she went over the pony's head, landing hard on a coop. She didn't get up right away. I ran into the ring and that kid's mother, who saw the whole thing, never missed a beat in her ride. The little girl had the wind knocked out of her and was crying, but that woman never even slowed her horse to ask if her daughter was ok. DQ Mommie Dearest.

lovey1121
Jun. 3, 2012, 11:18 AM
Love these! I have two. I went with a friend at her invitation to meet her trainer and watch him school her horse. I was considering moving my horse to the trainer's barn. She introduced me to the trainer, a delightful man, and on his instruction, we sat in the corner to watch him school. My friend's horse was being very fresh, and he had his hands full. His wife, the Queen of all DQs came in with her horse and started working in front of us.
She was working her horse in circles in front of us while her husband was dealing with a bucking, plunging bronco about thirty feet away. After a couple of times around her half of the ring with her horse obviously picking up some of the bronc's energy, the DQ said to us, "Ladies, would you please leave the arena? Your whispering is distracting my horse."
Hmm...whispering is known to do that! Needless to say, I chalked that barn off my list.

story 2: A DQ was schooling her horse in a Dressage ring adjacent to a jump course. Her 10 year old daughter was in a lesson in the jump ring when the pony refused and she went over the pony's head, landing hard on a coop. She didn't get up right away. I ran into the ring and that kid's mother, who saw the whole thing, never missed a beat in her ride. The little girl had the wind knocked out of her and was crying, but that woman never even slowed her horse to ask if her daughter was ok. DQ Mommie Dearest.

:eek:WHOA:eek:, I don't miss that behavior at all.

MichiganHunter91
Jun. 3, 2012, 03:13 PM
The woman we bought our first horse from (we still own her and done almost everything with her show and discipline wise ((minus western and saddleseat)) was a complete DQ/BO nutcase but had an awesome facility and a wonderful trainer. She had an eventing trainer (Our longest family friend) but loathed jumping clients and did not allow jumps on her property (you had to literally walk across a patch of dirt road and ask the lady who lived at the other farm across the street if you could use her arena for jumping). Anyways, her beloved horse spooked at a deer outside the arena one day and then she had the bright idea of kicking people out of the arena in the middle of lessons at random. She started blaming boarders and horses in the arena for her horse spooking. One day, she came out in the middle of a group lesson, rudely interrupted the trainer and said. "I want to ride." Then walked away to her horse's stall. Everybody took the hint and the lesson ended after warm up.

She allowed her daughter's friends whom are barrel racers to trailer in and bring their own barrels. they were kind, courteous, quiet and respectful and paid to trailer in. One day, BODQ comes out of her house. "Get off my property. You western riders are making my business look bad."

Needless to say, she doesn't have anymore boarders and trainers willing to come in. Business at the barn across the road though boomed :lol:

MichiganHunter91
Jun. 3, 2012, 03:59 PM
Makes me want to take up hunt seat . . .

I think there are some divas/drama papas for every discipline :) I see one at every hunterland show I go to.

merrygoround
Jun. 3, 2012, 06:22 PM
[Quote tamara]but cha know....they have carried him faithfully for years w/o major incident and he is nearly 70 [Unquote]

70 is almost old enough to be the original DQ, but that is not old!!!!! I think "old" for DQ's begins at 90. ;)

NOMIOMI1
Jun. 3, 2012, 08:00 PM
This is a WPQ lol... I looked at one of her horses to lease and after riding the VERY green broodmare, I offered to shape her up and essentially show her but without leasing as if I was to lease and train I would probably get something a little closer to showing (more immediate anyway).

She said fine if I worked her other horse too, and helped get them ready to sell... He was a finished horse so that worked out fine.

Anyway, I get BOTH horses in shape and we go to a show... She shows the finished one and I get 3rd out of 16 with the green one and she cleans up all day blue ribbons.

SO at the show she keeps trying to get me to do things for her. I stopped being a "groom/slave" the last few years. I work REALLY hard full time and the horses are supposed to be for enjoyment. But she keeps pressing for me to hold her horse, and groom, and on and on, well anyway after my classes are done I tell her I have to leave, because essentially she had to stay another 4-5 hours for one of her other horses to show.

PREVIOUS to the show I told her I wouldnt be able to stay and trailer horses home if she opted to do the classes that ran until 10 at night (does not include travel time back to the house 2 hours by trailer) as I only had a babysitter until 7 pm.

I made this clear over and over before the show (it was a little non-rated show) and asked her if she wanted to cancel, or maybe just bring the two horses and leave...

BUT she insisted. She wanted to go up there from friday to sunday with all of the horses. For a schooling show of that caliber I was NOT scheduling a sitter for three days.

After we showed, she said go go! (I had driven about an hour and a half), and so I packed up everything I could and left.

The next day I get a nasty email that she couldn't believe I actually left her, and she was in danger for her life? She then said I needed to not only lease the green horse I'd been working but that I'd have to ALSO feed and clean on top of full board AND take her to the shows myself.

Of course now that the green horse had shown and placed she could lease it out... So I told her to go right ahead and do that.

From then the horse has sat... Of course.

AllWeatherGal
Jun. 4, 2012, 09:11 AM
My horse moved from a dressage training barn to a "regular" boarding barn last week for a more low-key environment while she *crossing fingers, hands and arms* heals. Low key for her ... at the training barn most people are pretty busy, you know, TRAINING? The only serious DQ is the one woman who owns a horse for the trainer to show (but does ride it around a couple days a week). I've been at the boarding place (nice place and I really like the managers) twice last week and gotten more advice about what I should be doing than the whole previous whole year and am a wreck over it.

Yes, this is my opportunity to work on that thicker skin thing ;)

vxf111
Jun. 4, 2012, 01:20 PM
Not a DQ specifically but a fussy dressage thing...

It's Dressage at Devon in a young horse class. There is 3 inches of water on the ground. It is pouring down rain and you can barely see. I am standing at least 4 feet off the rail taking photos of exclusively MY OWN HORSE. I am screamed at by the announcer "NO FLASH PHOTOS, IT SPOOKS THE HORSE." As though the horse can even SEE my flash thought the maelstrom he's trying to hack through. I can barely see him! And jeez almightly, it's a HORSE SHOW. People take photos at those! Horses have to survive notwithstanding. Somehow, magically, hunter horses manage to live their lives just fine even though people take their photos at horse shows. ;) You do not get to have the steward or announcer strong arm people into going away because their basic presence is a problem for your horses. Your horse has to suck it up and deal.

In the materiale class, I watch horses bug out left and right and win classes. So it would appear spooking doesn't even matter ANYWAY!? And then I watch someone plastic bagging babies for the in-hand classes to the extent that the babies are about to run hard enough to rip the handler's arm off. So... my FLASH is the cause of horses spooking? Not being allowed to wall out like crazy in hack classes or being chased around with plastic bags on whips!?! Not any of that... it's a camera flash from several feet away?!

quietann
Jun. 4, 2012, 01:41 PM
~Veronica, that "OMG stop that, you're spooking my horse!" stuff drives me nuts. I ride a spooky horse, I am the smurfiest of Smurfs as a rider, not in great shape, and the horse could spin and drop me in an instant if she chose to. You know what I do about it? Get my horse out into spooky situations as much as I can. Don't ride her in endless circles in a quiet indoor arena with perfect footing. Ride her outside, take her on trails, ride with other horses doing potentially scary things, take her to clinics, go chase the g-ddamn Canada geese**... and so forth. These days I would say she's a looky horse rather than a spooky horse. It's not especially enjoyable to ride, at times, but I'm reasonably confident we'll survive whatever gets thrown our way. Maybe I'd feel different about taking her out of the arena if she was some super-fancy super-expensive WB, but I suspect not.

** Mare completely got over the geese when I took her out to chase them and she realized that if she moved towards them, they'd move away. In other words, she could herd them. She's got some cowhorse Morgan ancestors way back, and I suspect she "has cow". We haven't tackled real cows.... yet.

vxf111
Jun. 4, 2012, 01:44 PM
I mean, OK. There have to be limits. If someone showed up at a horse show riding an elephant and stood by the ring releasing helium ballons and exploding firecrackers--- I'd want that person removed. But normal "activities of daily life" like talking, standing, taking photos, kids playing, dogs on leashes, other horses, etc.-- HORSES JUST HAVE TO DEAL. They just have to. Period!

Catnipped
Jun. 5, 2012, 12:29 AM
Well I did once politely ask a photographer to move before my test on a super spooky greenie. But he was where he shouldn't have been, crouched down right next to the judges box! And popping up and down to take photos. Even the judged shooed him away when she realised he was there.

BansheeBreeze
Jun. 5, 2012, 01:56 AM
Not anywhere close to as bad as some of the DQ's in other people's stories but I was a working student for a trainer and shortly before I left he got a new, very quirky DQ client. She would come to the barn in high heeled boots and black from head to toe, never any other color, except for her super thick long wild red hair. She was a practicing Wiccan and there was spells and feathers taped to the inside of her tack box lid. Of COURSE she had this huge, imported, gorgeous and, as she often reminded us EXPENSIVE Warmblood stallion that she was terrified of so she took very occasional lessons on her brick poop house bombproof schoolmaster gelding. She was pretty nice but it always seemed like it was more 'nice on the outside' types. She was incredibly high maintenance.

Her old gelding was SO FAT we often had visitors ask when he was due lol. I finally figured out WHY he was so fat. Shortly after coming to our barn, she showed up with a huge bag full of Jelly Bellys in individual bags. Not the big bags either, but the smaller snack sized bags that were quite expensive. She instructed me to make sure to feed him a bag every day for a treat. She showed me as he gobbled them up and I said something like "How cool that he eats jelly beans!" "Nah ah ah" she corrected me. "GOUUURMET jelly beans. He only eats GOUUUURMET jelly beans". Maybe it was one of those "ya had to be there" moments but I thought it was hilarious that the horse simply must have GOUUUURMET jelly beans as opposed to just plain ol' normal ones.

vicarious
Jun. 5, 2012, 09:48 AM
The clueless DQ who owns the arena!!

And there I was, just passing X while crossing on the diagonal, on top of 1500 pounds of lovely tempered stallion, when what to my wondering eyes appears, but 950 pounds of gelding approaching head on!!! MY sweetheart slammed on the brakes, stamped a forefoot, shook his head, and marched forward.

Terrified gelding, with attached rider leaped aside.

Hey! At least my horse dropped to a walk!:lol:

I'd like to say that it, and similar things, never occurred again, but :sigh: for some there is no hope.

SandyUHC
Jun. 5, 2012, 10:27 PM
How about someone who doesn't realize they are NOT a DQ? I got back from an amazing opportunity to ride the GP horse of an FEI ranked (50th when I met her), team-listed rider/trainer and was still on Cloud 9. The self-trained BO/BarnTrainer cornered me and aggressively demanded to know, "Just WHAT did you think you could learn THERE that you couldn't learn HERE??!!" Well, huh, you've had one dressage lesson in your life, the first lesson I took from you you had someone walk beside me and pull my horse's head down, and I had to tell you which way your student's half-pass was supposed to bend -- do you really want me to answer that?

beckzert
Jun. 8, 2012, 12:02 PM
These are really funny. I'm kind of afraid to share, but I know a DQ who has a habit of running into other people while riding because she's too busy admiring herself in the mirror. She also has an entire house just for her wardrobe.

There's another DQ who decided that announcing when we would enter the arena wasn't enough, that we had to announce when we were preparing to round the corner to the aisle to the arena because her horse would see people coming and shy (when I say shy I mean look. He didn't even really jump, but she was afraid. I think it's really funny when she makes comments about how she should have bought my horse-who was unstarted when I bought her and is afraid of everything and is also a very hot and strong warmblood). My favorite moment with her was when she walked into the barn at a show and shouted, "Who's going to get my horse ready! I have to be on in 30 minutes!" It's funny looking back, but as I was cutting braids out with my leatherman tool at the time and she had been incredibly annoying all weekend, I am ashamed to admit I had some fantasies about how the various functions of the leatherman could be used as weapons...

sirensong4
Jun. 8, 2012, 11:51 PM
I got back from an amazing opportunity to ride the GP horse of an FEI ranked (50th when I met her), team-listed rider/trainer and was still on Cloud 9. The self-trained BO/BarnTrainer cornered me and aggressively demanded to know, "Just WHAT did you think you could learn THERE that you couldn't learn HERE??!!"

Similar story here! Local DQ trainer, older lady with a really negative attitude/snarky-but-not-funny personality. I hauled to her for occasional (maybe 5 or 6?) lessons because she was pretty much the only game in town while I was getting Roxie started. She watched me ride in a fantastically successful and enjoyable clinic with one of our region's best and most highly respected BNTs and greeted me at the arena gate with "Well, she didn't tell you ANYTHING that I don't tell you all the TIME!"

I later heard through the grapevine that she told anyone who knew me that she USED TO be my full-time trainer (?) and had dropped me (!) as a student because I wouldn't listen to a word she said.

Um, ok. :rolleyes: