PDA

View Full Version : Mathias Rath's interview on dressage radio

caddym
Jan. 13, 2011, 01:56 PM
http://dressageradio.horseradionetwork.com/2011/01/13/dressage-radio-episode-86-by-back-on-track-matthias-rath-exclusive-and-‘you-be-the-judge’/

alicen
Jan. 13, 2011, 05:47 PM
So, no competition until May. I do miss seeing Totilas.

Rath mentioned that they liked to give horses some time off, but isn't from September through March a bit of a stretch? I wonder how much and in what manner he's being ridden now and how that will impact his competition performance... . Aren't other breeding stallions kept in training and competition? I don't know, it just strikes me as strange.

MelantheLLC
Jan. 13, 2011, 06:07 PM
Haven't had a chance to listen to the interview, but this note on Matthias's website suggests that he will be in work at least to a point:

The year 2011 starts with a rescheduling. Totilas will stay furthermore at the stud of Paul Schockemöhle in Mühlen until springtime - so that he can work as stallion for breeding until this point of time. Meanwhile I will drive to Mühlen oftentimes - together with my father and trainer Klaus Martin.
On 6th of February we will have our first public appearance at Vechta on the ?Stallion-Show?. I am are really looking forward and curious about the reaction of the spectators. In springtime Totilas will move into his new home in Kronberg than and our first official tournament will be at the beginning of the green season.

dwblover
Jan. 14, 2011, 09:07 AM
I have a feeling his breeding duties are going to far overshadow his competition career now, which is sad for us spectators. I totally get it, P.S. paid to have him as a breeding stallion, but I just don't know how much they are really going to devote to his riding career now.

MelantheLLC
Jan. 14, 2011, 04:57 PM
Oh, I think his competition career is front and center. Matthias has several references to the challenge of following Edward's footsteps, and mentioning that there's no guarantee of 2012 gold, but he'll do his best to excite the fans and yada yada...His stepmother has mentioned that it's important for the horse to continue to shine in competition in order to realize the investment in him.

He's pointed at the Olympics. Whether he'll get there in the top 3 with Matthias remains to be seen. Personally I'm rooting for them, but then I've been a MAR fan for awhile now so I'm biased. I think it will be mostly a psychological matter for Matthias. He sometimes seems to choke under pressure--and talk about pressure!

I'm hoping we'll all see this lovely horse out and about for some years to come.