PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about Carole Grant...

Denali
Jan. 12, 2011, 09:48 PM
Have you ridden with her or audited clinics? Ive read some brief but very positive opinions here and elsewhere... Im curious about more details on her teaching style, focus, demeanor? Her website lists impressive experience and trainers. Im just looking for any more insight!

Feel free to PM if you would rather. :-)

Thanks!

Denali
Jan. 17, 2011, 07:01 PM
No one?

inca
Jan. 17, 2011, 07:21 PM
I rode with her and she wasn't my cup of tea. Too "touchy-feely" wanting me to answer questions and "use my words." As a point of reference, I love riding with Hans Biss. My lessons with him are of the "shut up and ride" variety, which is how I learn and progress best.

My trainer really likes her and one of my good friends who rides FEI also liked her. I just didn't care for her teaching style.

Char0308
Jan. 18, 2011, 09:29 AM
I tried a Sale horse with her once and thought she was very nice. I tend to be timid and she was very positive and encouraging in such a way to help my confidence. As well as technical point comments here and there that were helpful.

mademoiselle
Jan. 18, 2011, 08:04 PM
Carole is awesome. I wouldn't call her touchy feely... She can actually be very blunt and push you very hard.
She has done an amazing job with me and my stallion. I switched from eventing 2 years ago and with Carole's help my horse was HOY at 1st level and is currently ready to show at 3rd and schooling most of the 4th level and PSG!
Sometimes, it takes me a little while to 'translate' what she wants, but she is willing to explain and break it down.
She offers a lot of exercizes and can be very technical which I love.
2 thumbs up.
I have ridden with some very big names during clinics, but I have never gotten as much from my lesson with Carole.

AndalusianMom
Jan. 19, 2011, 04:14 PM
I rode with Carole for 10 years. I'd still be at her barn if she were teaching there every day.
I've never ridden with someone that could get more from me/my horse than Carole. She can see what you need to do in a nanosecond, tell you to do it, and it's still in the right moment so something really wonderful has a chance to happen. Many times I would get off after a lesson with her thinking, "How on earth did I ride that well?"
She pushes you hard, that's for sure, and if you just want to noodle around she is not the trainer for you. If she's seen you do something properly once, then she expects you to do it that way again, or she'll call you on it. You learn to ride every corner and to always be thinking of what bend, what movement, what line, you are going for. It's demanding. But you learn a LOT.
When I started with her, I could barely canter without fear and tears. I'm 4th/PSG now, thanks to her and the horses she's found for me.
Carole is also super honest if you want her to find a horse for you. She won't look at horses that put you at risk, she won't stick you with one you can't ride, she'll give you a lesson while you're riding a prospect to see for herself how it will work out. She takes her reputation very very seriously and won't sell you something that she thinks isn't right. And she has contacts everywhere.