PDA

View Full Version : What can you tell me about Queeny Park HT?

Kanga
Jan. 12, 2011, 08:46 PM
Where is it located? Is it run well? How is the footing? Are the courses average? hard? or easy? What about the stabling?
Any information would be helpful. We are trying to figure the schedule out for the year and would like to go to some new events for us!

Thanks for your help!!

eventer23
Jan. 12, 2011, 10:24 PM
Quenny Park H.T is located in St. Louis, Mo. It is run ok :/ I have never been impressed with them to be honest. We generally go because it is one of the closest events for us. The footing is usually ok. Nothing horrible. However, the last couple of years the dressage has been on a hill. No joke! It was awful. The courses are easy. Good move up courses! Long walks to each phase and temp stabling. Not my top choice. Look into Dunnabeck Horse Trials, it was AWESOME this year! Great people, good facility, challenging course!

fleabites
Jan. 13, 2011, 12:02 AM
Queeny is run by quite frankly some of the nicest people on earth. They have, and will continue to, bend over backwards to run the best possible event they can. However, you can bet anything that the rules *will* be enforced, which always seems to irritate some competitors who are intent on being exceptions.
Dressage is held on a slight incline, where the corners of the ring drop off slightly. It is perfectly accomplishable, however, to put in a very good test, you just have to ride a little more.
Cross country is fabulous. Its open, galloping, and a great confidence building course, the horses absolutely love it. XC warmup is very big and close to the box. Footing is great; even if it rains a lot, it doesn't get too muddy. It is a suitable move up course, but also great to just go have a complete blast!!
Stadium is a very good test for both horse and rider, in the past few years its influenced final placings quite significantly.
Other things that are good to note: great, useful prizes, great food at the competitors party, good footing, and an extremely nice atmosphere. Its a lovely hack, about 8-10 minutes, to XC, less to dressage and stadium. Trailer parking is close to the stalls, as well as plenty of water sources.
If you need help at Queeny, there is ALWAYS someone, whether you know them or not, that will help. Always.

graytbmare
Jan. 13, 2011, 07:01 AM
Went as a groom when I was a working student. It was really well run and everyone was very nice. We had brought four horses and they bent over backwards making sure that there was enough time between my trainer's rides. The dressage is on a bit of a slope, as is the warm up for dressage. We actually had a problem with our horses pulling shoes in dressage/ warm up... Cross country was nice, the jumps were all safe and the footing wasn't bad. Stadium is set in the trees in a small area on the grass, so maybe not the best for a super green horse. Everything was pretty spread out- cross country was a good mile+ walk from stabling, so bring walking shoes!

Zu Zu
Jan. 13, 2011, 09:50 AM
GREAT PEOPLE TO WORK WITH AT QUEENY PARK ~

eventer23
Jan. 13, 2011, 11:12 AM
Maybe I have just had a couple bad experiences? We have been loyal to the event forever. Going every year since I can remember. All the courses are confidence building, BN-P. Didn't say I wouldn't consider it, but it wouldn't be my first choice. Sorry just giving my honest opinion. :/

deltawave
Jan. 13, 2011, 11:31 AM
It was the first HT I ever did, waaaay back in like 1993. :D Took my OTTB mare who had never seen a XC jump and figured we'd have a go. :lol:

Located just west of downtown St. Louis in a nice park, hilly, decent footing, fairly easy access from the freeway. Way back then you did a bit of hacking to get from place to place, but it was nice. Courses average, IIRC, but all we ever did was BN. We did go there often to just school and ride. (public park, not sure if it's still just unsupervised schooling but if so this can impact footing)

I keep meaning to get back there--lived in St. Louis for four years and Queeny was a frequent horsey haunt--but have never managed it so far. :(

eventersmom
Jan. 13, 2011, 01:55 PM
Hey Kanga-ask your working student about Queeny. She's been there a time or two! :yes:

Painted Wings
Jan. 13, 2011, 04:30 PM
I was asked to post this message from the Organizer since she is not on the COTH BB:

Queeny Park is located in the western part of St. Louis County. It is easily assessable from several major highways. The horse trials are run by an all volunteer organization called Queeny Park Equestrian Events which operates within a beautiful St. Louis County Park. This has always been a very well run event and everyone seems to have a great time. This year they have a new organizer with new ideas to make it run even better.

I would say the cross country course is of average difficulty and they have a beautiful rolling terrain with water at all levels. They have a variety of solid obstacles and are adding more every year. I really like that the start and the finish are at the same general location.

Since they have to work within the rules of the park, the stabling is temporary but they use the standard yellow stalls. They moved the event to June several years ago and the heat became a problem, but they are working on a new electrical system for 2011 that will make for better cooling systems.

The park is sort of spread out so it can be a little walk out to the venues, but they offer an awesome shuttle system. The footing is all on grass, but they maintain it well. They always give great prizes away through third place!

From Christy DeMauro - 2011 Organizer.

My own thoughts:

A few years ago Queeny had some big issues. The park gives them very little support other than some storage area. All the mowing and maintenance of the cross country courses was done by volunteers. The Parks dept. upgraded their equipment and sold the only tractor QPEE was allowed to use. QPEE had no money (in fact was in debt) and no way to maintain the courses. The organization was almost dissolved.

Several concerned competitors including myself, Jill Wagenknect, Elise Vandover, Christy DeMauro, and others stepped in when they heard the dillema facing Queeny. We helped raise the money to buy a tractor meanwhile using volunteers bringing their own equipment to the park and back to keep the horse trials going. We have addressed the immediate financial issues and are now in a better position to achieve our goals of making this a premier event.

Unfortunately we have to work within the constraints of the St. Louis parks system. Our efforts of trying to do some grading to improve the dressage area have been twarted. Our previous dressage area was covered with sludge when they decided to dredge a nearby lake. We are still looking at ways to improve the dressage location and facilities. We are working to improve stabling and the cross country courses. It has been a monumental effort by many many people to keep this event alive. Now that we have accomplished that we will be working to improve the event. What is important now is that this event is now managed by riders/competitors who understand the needs of other riders and competitors.

mustangsal85
Jan. 13, 2011, 07:21 PM
Everyone else here has said everything I would say. I live in the area and this is the only event that is local. I am no longer an eventer but I competed at Queeny a couple of times in the BN stuff and I was impressed. Now, take my opinion with a grain of salt as I haven't exactly traveled all over the country. But it seemed to be well run with polite and responsible staffing. The event always seemed to run on schedule. When I competed they had temporary stabling put up for the horses. I believe now you are able to rent a stall at Pegasus Equestrian, formerly Town and Country Equestrian, which is literally across the street from the park.

I think it's a good XC to move up a level or just to get out there and get some experience. I don't think the course is overly daunting but it is still challenging. If you get the chance, come visit this year!

Trak_Eventer
Jan. 13, 2011, 07:50 PM
I have been there a few times. It is a nice event with wonderful people. The dressage is on a slope and the warm up is not level. The show jumping is challenging because of it's location in a wooded area. The cross country is confidence building course and on the small side. I have run the novice and training there and will be running the prelim this year.

I am really glad to hear that they are working on having electricity for this year. That was one of the big downsides to the event. Midwest June with no fans.

Just a thought... have they thought about running the dressage and show jumping the same day and using some space in the cross country field then running the xc on Sunday? I didn't make it last year, but I remember there being a good amount of free space up near the start and finish. I can't remember if it is really level or not. I do remember, besides the ground not being level for warmup or the arena for dressage, that there were several bikers and hikers that passed by and since the arena was in a wooded area it would spook the horses.

secretariat
Jan. 13, 2011, 08:11 PM
QPEE - you have absolutely nothing to apologize for - you do a great job, & we'll be back!! It's not the KHP with 500+ entries, but who wants to run in a class of 40? Lots of facilities close, especially a good Mexican restaurant which is my #1 requirement.

Adding a few comments to Katie's very accurate post -
1. Be prepared for terrain. Surprised an old Kentucky boy, thought Missouri was flat.
2. The park is extremely accessible and easy to find, in contrast to most of my experiences driving in the area. Highly recommend the southern route from the east.
3. Stabling in standard tents, but parking is close and water is permanent/available. Electric for fans would be a big upgrade.
4. Hotter than hinges of hades this year!
5. We've been the last two years with a total of 7 entries. Easy drive from Lexington. Megan met several locals at ICP symposia at Holekamps' and loved the Area people.
6. Dressage on grass, rings are quite good but not perfectly flat. We're eventers, most of our horses love it. Might be an issue for a DQ.
7. I would rate XC as easy. Great place for young horses/moveups. LONG hike from the barns!
8. Stadium has been a b**ch both years. Deep footing rain doesn't help a course in the deep woods. Dodging trees is a unique feature, but again - we're eventers, go for it.
9. We really appreciate organizers who work with us when we bring several horses and students. We don't ask for any favors, just give us a reasonable shot.

Here's the report from Queeny this year http://teamceoeventing.wordpress.com/page/4/ Queeny is about 1/2 way down the page.

RE: Dunnabeck, went there for the first time this year. We loved it as well!! Great organizers, good location, excellent dressage facilities. XC is quite good (somebody is a GREAT carpenter), stadium a little hilly and in the woods as well. Tent stabling, entry access can get a little rough when rainy but they've done a good job improving it. Highly recommended - see you there next September! Here's our experience at Dunnabeck http://teamceoeventing.wordpress.com/page/2/ Again, Dunnabeck is about 1/2 down the page.

justagreen
Jan. 13, 2011, 08:15 PM
I have ridden there also and I agree with most of the above posters.
Temporary stalls, hopefully with fan capabilities this year, but with ample close parking for trailers and autos. Well-organized by knowledgeable, helpful people. All venues are a hike from stabling, but the ample golf carts (staffed by some of the nicest people I have ever encountered) keep things moving and can shorten or alleviate your hikes.
IMO, dressage ring locations need to be re-evaluated, as the "slope" can be slick and the traffic along the path can be distracting. (Just look at the video of my last test there).
The XC is fun, has varied terrain, moderate to light for the level and has good footing.
The Stadium is the real challenge, as it is in an area with trees, hills and frequently slick grass. The courses are well-designed, test your skills and certainly have had a major impact on final placings at all levels in the past.
Oh, and the competitor's party rocks!

Kanga
Jan. 13, 2011, 09:33 PM
Thank you to everyone that has replied to this thread! Sounds like there is a lot of heart & soul that goes into keeping this event alive. Thank you to all of you that keep something like this going!!!

Badger
Jan. 13, 2011, 09:41 PM
Run by some of the nicest people out there, from the organizer all the way down to each and every volunteer you come across. They should write a book about getting, educating, and utilizing great volunteers because they have cracked the code on it.

Dressage rings in the past have been a slight slope but basically flat as others have mentioned, but this past year the rings were bumped by the park department to a different spot and it was pretty darn difficult. All four corners of the prelim/training ring were at different levels coming off the crest of a hill and it was the most challenging dressage ring I've ridden in at an event. Everyone understood the situation and did their best to make it work, but it was far from ideal.

X-C is fun, "move-up" sort of courses.

Stadium is usually on the tough side, on grass and not level. Rain made the footing extremely slippery and difficult this past year. Lots of rails everywhere and at least one horse fall. But that was from a very heavy rain.

The long distance from stabling to competition areas is a challenge, especially if you are riding more than one horse. And the lack of enough electric power to support stall fans is a huge challenge for a summer event. They set up cooling stations to help, but putting horses in those stifling hot temp stalls with no fans in a sweltering weekend is something I do not want to do again. I hope that issue does get solved.

Hope someone can confirm, but IIRC they do aerate the footing on x-c.