PDA

View Full Version : OK, last chance - Area II

retreadeventer
Jan. 12, 2011, 09:18 PM
Hey - have you signed up yet? Last chance this week! Awesome meeting planned. Come on, have you ever been? This is the year! What else are you doing, anyway?
Registration form: http://www.usea2.net/component/docman/cat_view/49-annual-meeting
Facebook page with updates: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Area-II-Annual-Meeting/131747286879278
And we will have a freakin' TON of door prizes! And sponsors Flair, Ecogold, and Cavalor! Be there or be square....:)

wildlifer
Jan. 12, 2011, 09:56 PM
I'm coming, I'm coming, yayyyy!

drjuliea
Jan. 13, 2011, 12:30 PM
Like retreadeventer said, it's going to be awesome! Great topics and speakers, award winners, great luncheon, and great prizes!

You can send your registration forms (found on the Area II website) to:

Area II Meeting
2505 Little Vista Terrace
Olney, MD 20832

Ajierene
Jan. 13, 2011, 02:37 PM
A bit far for me. Do they always have them in VA?

I am also working that day, so, you know, cannot go.

Prices do not look to bad, though paying $75 for a meeting without food seems a bit much, but maybe there is food or something that I am missing. I just looked at the registration form to see the location and day.

retreadeventer
Jan. 13, 2011, 08:15 PM
Well how's this...we have at this point more door prizes than ever -- how about a bag of Cavalor feed, or pair of Ecogold galloping boots? Award winners will get Flair strips if they attend! (No mailing stuff, sorry, have to be there). Dr. Rebecca Splan is about the best speaker on the Eastern Seaboard. We've got Ecogold's Dr. John Da Silva. And don't forget the silent auction of entries! Gosh, I funded half a season for about half price on the entries and that more than paid my registration fee the last time I went. Ajierene, there is no way you can hold a meeting anyplace decent that is regional and not in a parking lot or a field for less than that these days. We are not even covering the costs at that price. And the social aspect of it is more than worth it, you get to sit and talk with your eventing friends without horses and competing! It's the best! :)

lecoeurtriste
Jan. 13, 2011, 08:51 PM
A bit far for me. Do they always have them in VA?

Agreed...I would love to come, but 450 miles is a bit far to drive after work on Friday. I would be willing to pay for live Skype feed of some of the sessions--perhaps next year??

wildlifer
Jan. 14, 2011, 12:08 PM
I think it was in NY last year? I remember it was way too far north for me, I figured VA was as close as I was going to get to my southern end. It does move around though.

Janet
Jan. 14, 2011, 12:31 PM
I think it was in NY last year? I remember it was way too far north for me, I figured VA was as close as I was going to get to my southern end. It does move around though.
Last year it was in Reston VA, and was held as part of the USEA national meeeting.

Before that it was in Leesburg for several years. It has also been held in Charlottesville and at the Horse Center in Lexington.

There has been some talk of holding it in PA, but that didn't happen.

wildlifer
Jan. 14, 2011, 04:49 PM
Never mind, I guess I was delusional.

retreadeventer
Jan. 14, 2011, 07:56 PM
Yes, Janet, it was held in PA, in Kennett Square, PA. at the Hilton Garden Inn the year before Reston. Whoohooo!!! I have never had the chance to correct Janet before. This is big. :)

Oh, and NY is Area 1. Area 2 is NJ, PA, DE, MD, VA, NC. It is difficult to move the meeting to the far reaches of the area, because in the past, attendance was always unpredictable. The geographical center is pretty close to Leesburg, making it under a 4-hour drive for MOST. Of course that does leave out a few eventers on the edges of the region. So...to combat that, I looked for and found a hotel giving us a terrific rate on rooms so that travelers could spend the night, go to the meeting and have some rest before having to drive back.

Oh and last minute: Guess what is donated to the silent auction! ROLEX TICKETS!

Firefox
Jan. 14, 2011, 09:45 PM
Looking forward to it Retread and Dr Julie will have out sone themselves I am sure!!

Janet
Jan. 14, 2011, 10:38 PM
Yes, Janet, it was held in PA, in Kennett Square, PA. at the Hilton Garden Inn the year before Reston. Whoohooo!!! I have never had the chance to correct Janet before. This is big. :)

Aha! So why don't I remember it? Must be that is coincided with IETF and I couldn't go.

Sorry for the misinformation.

BigRuss1996
Jan. 14, 2011, 10:54 PM
It was in Pa once..I went! hahaha!
Now retread if they could just work it so that my puppy could come (he is still only 8lbs at almost 9 months old) I would go but unfortunately I can't leave him for a whole weekend yet...mother syndrome... :)

Ajierene
Jan. 15, 2011, 12:05 AM
I can appreciate the door prizes and having speakers there.

Ajierene, there is no way you can hold a meeting anyplace decent that is regional and not in a parking lot or a field for less than that these days. We are not even covering the costs at that price. And the social aspect of it is more than worth it, you get to sit and talk with your eventing friends without horses and competing! It's the best! :)

I think you guys need to reconsider how you find meeting places (I requeseted audio/visual and food):

For 20 people:
http://www.hilton.com/en/hi/hotels/search/groups/gm/newresults.jhtml;jsessionid=UPKCY3TT3BIZECSGBJC3MQ Q?statusMsg=status_success.jhtml&searchType=city&null&mySearchType=city&tab_orig=meeting_room_only&eventType=Business&eventType=Business&brandBits=&_requestid=265075

The most expensive will cost $40/person/day

For 100 people:
http://www.hilton.com/en/hi/hotels/search/groups/gm/newresults.jhtml;jsessionid=UPKCY3TT3BIZECSGBJC3MQ Q?statusMsg=status_success.jhtml&searchType=city&null&mySearchType=city&tab_orig=meeting_room_only&eventType=Business&eventType=Business&brandBits=119&_requestid=265658

The most expensive is $20/person/day

It would take 27 people paying $75/person to break even. That is just comparing the meeting prices - and as far as I can tell this is for all day, so the lunch and the meeting can be held here.

The only item I cannot factor in is the cost the speakers are charging. If you want help finding a location for next year, to help keep costs down, feel free to PM me.

RunForIt
Jan. 15, 2011, 06:32 PM
Area II and Area III are so close and have so many riders that go to events in both areas...would it make sense to sometime or other make one big meeting? I would so LOVE to get together with lots of my AREA II friends!!! Have fun! The meeting sounds like its been planned realy well! :cool:

retreadeventer
Jan. 16, 2011, 12:20 AM
(None of those links worked for me.)
Ajierine, there are some constraints and things that have to be included for an area-wide meeting, and that drives the cost somewhat. You know, when you do a meeting once a year, it's nice to do it right. Certainly we could all eat at McDonalds and meeting in a parking lot, but we need to enjoy the time we have together, get some good work done, and we need a place that's comfortable, and relatively inexpensive as well as central for everyone to attend. Leesburg gave us a hotel room rate of $75! The last time I stayed at a Garden Inn it was $143 a night.
I am sure someone could do a better job finding a great place cheap, but please don't assume we didn't work as hard as we could to keep the price down and do the meeting right. We AGONIZED over the price because we knew how hard it was for everyone to budget this. Four years ago, the cost was $100, and this year it's only $10 more and with a CHOICE of meals for lunch. I think that's darn good in this economy. Four years ago I wasn't paying $3.13/gal. for gas.
I think there are some things in your analysis that were missed, (we have multiple meeting rooms, coffee break (no food just coffee and water), extra chairs and tables, vegetarian meals, etc.) In addition, most hotels have minimums no matter how many people attend, and you're on the hook for that regardless. Also, I may remind you, we have a state sales tax of 9 percent on ALL services that has to be paid as well as gratuity to service staff we are charged for the luncheon. While I do not have final figures, I can tell without a doubt in my mind that the area is certainly not making a nickel on this meeting and sweating it pretty close just to break even. I wish that you could apply your expertise NEXT YEAR and offer to book the hotel and meeting space; that would be very nice of you.

wildlifer
Jan. 17, 2011, 12:04 PM
AHA! I knew I wasn't crazy, it was in PA -- PA and NY are practically the same, they are both cold and way up north there, LOL!

retreadeventer
Jan. 17, 2011, 05:49 PM
Now retread if they could just work it so that my puppy could come (he is still only 8lbs at almost 9 months old) I would go but unfortunately I can't leave him for a whole weekend yet...mother syndrome... :)

Oh bring him with you. He'll be ok. Won't he fit in a good sized purse anyway? :)

whicker
Jan. 17, 2011, 06:09 PM
I'm not currently a member of eventing, but would like to get back into it. I've green horses that I hope to compete this spring at the lowest levels. I was a ULR years ago, but I need to come up to speed again. I would like to meet some of the older still going eventers and develop some eventing buddy relationships. I'm not in the galloping Grannies yet, but coming back from a broken back takes some encouragement.

Sooo Is it appropriate for me to come to this soiree?

patricia.dasilva
Jan. 17, 2011, 07:01 PM

Bring the puppy!!!! I can watch him. :yes:

Janet
Jan. 17, 2011, 07:11 PM
I'm not currently a member of eventing, but would like to get back into it. I've green horses that I hope to compete this spring at the lowest levels. I was a ULR years ago, but I need to come up to speed again. I would like to meet some of the older still going eventers and develop some eventing buddy relationships. I'm not in the galloping Grannies yet, but coming back from a broken back takes some encouragement.

Sooo Is it appropriate for me to come to this soiree?WHicker,

Of COURSE it is appropriate for you to come if you want.

The meeting on the 22nd is for the whole of Area 2 (NJ - NC).

If you are looking for something a bit more locally oriented, the CDTCA meeting is the following weekend, the 29th, just outside Manassas.

I'll be at both.

Tazzie
Jan. 20, 2011, 10:55 AM
Just found out today that I am attending this weekend! Katie Ruppel is in Florida, so her working student & I are attending in her place. Hope to meet lots of wonderful people, and see some faces that I haven't seen for a few months. Also can't wait to pick up Katie's awards at the luncheon.

I'm so excited!