PDA

View Full Version : How much is this horsie in the window?

mzm farm
Jan. 12, 2011, 02:40 PM
Brief description:
Great minded gelding 17+h, comfortable gaits, 4-6yrs old.
Good at new places, not spooky, no lunging needed; showed Training/1st level. Very kind and amateur friendly. 7/8 gaits, starting lateral work from 2nd. Sound, no health issues in history. No quirks, no bad habits.
He is worth in your opinion "________" and if you care, please say why.
A: 0-10k
B: 10 -15K
C: 15-20k
D: 20-30k
E: 30-40K
F: 40k +

CHT
Jan. 12, 2011, 02:50 PM
I would want to know what type of scores and comments he has been getting at shows, and if he is able to do the young horse classes and what his potential looks like. Breed would matter to me too; tb, Warmblood, Clydesdale...

hundredacres
Jan. 12, 2011, 02:57 PM
Yep, I'd like to know those things to, then I'd love to take a shot ;).

Equibrit
Jan. 12, 2011, 02:58 PM
Registered or not, and which registry ?
Pedigree ?

V IMPORTANT.

mzm farm
Jan. 12, 2011, 03:00 PM
Fair questions, CHT.
Horsie in question is a WB (gelding - so lets not dwell on bloodlines). He is more of a packer, mid level type vs. the big tour horse prospect. Has a clean change in him and a desire to please, sensitivity and obedience, so viable 3rd -4th level candidate, Grand Prix - maybe, maybe not.

candyappy
Jan. 12, 2011, 03:03 PM
I think I chose 15-20k. I would never pay that but it seems that people want a lot for the healthy ones with a good mind. looking at the poll answers it looks like I am either over or under pricing him. I don't ride dressage though.....

mimiwenk
Jan. 12, 2011, 03:43 PM
If he has a show record, I'd want to know his scores, and whether they were with an amateur or pro riding. Scores above 70 with an amateur would probably increase his price by $10,000 versus scores in low 60's.

So, based on that, price would be between $15 - $35

naturalequus
Jan. 12, 2011, 04:30 PM
I would venture to figure the 10-20K range however I would have to SEE conformation, movement, etc prior to more accurately gauging. What type of warmblood and registration matters in the market too. Bloodlines matter to an extent because they play a role in factoring in the horse's potential. Scores and riders on him when he achieved those scores would also matter of course, as so would show experience. He might be a packer but that is still "potential" as he is not yet a schoolmaster, being yet only 4-6. I would want to know how much of a packer he really is at this time, versus his potential to be a packer.

If he is still earning his packer title to an extent (4-6 is still young and that is a broad range, really), is still learning to an extent at only a limited number of shows yet (ie, lower to mid-range scores, esp with a young amateur aboard) and has only okay conformation, bloodlines, and movement....I would side with more the 10-15K range as a baseline. Any "pluses" over and above that baseline would increase his price, to maybe a cap of 30K for an exceptional packer with really good bloodlines, conformation, and movement, with quite a bit of experience who shows a ton of potential and promise via good scores under a variety of young and amateur riders. He would have to be about 6...below that, I would cap him at maybe 20K as say a 4yo. I would definitely actually have to SEE the horse. The prices I mentioned might not be prices I would actually pay myself, but that would be about what I would judge his market value to be, for that that is worth :winkgrin:

ETA: I see you have him placed in the h/j forum as well. In that case, jumping form, stride, and how he moves between fences also plays a role. I still stand by the 15K range...depending on the above, especially since you are marketing him both as dressage and as a possible hunter, and thus he is likely still finding his "niche" and has yet a lot of potential and less experience.

Creaghgal
Jan. 12, 2011, 04:41 PM
Usually the "horsie in the window" is there in front of me! I can see him from every angle … Might even stop in to run a hand down a leg or four.

Silly poll IMHO

Bit O Groby
Jan. 12, 2011, 04:55 PM
Well, for me, Breed does matter, regardless if he is a gelding. "Warmblood" is a pretty broad spectrum these days. Color? He's a packer for what kind of rider? What's his conformation? I couldn't price him without more details, and without actually seeing him go - ridden by a pro / as well as an amateur.
Further, a 4 yr old is a lot different than a 6 yr old, imo. I agree that this is a silly poll.

netg
Jan. 12, 2011, 05:02 PM
Well, for me, Breed does matter, regardless if he is a gelding. "Warmblood" is a pretty broad spectrum these days. Color? He's a packer for what kind of rider? What's his conformation? I couldn't price him without more details, and without actually seeing him go - ridden by a pro / as well as an amateur.
Further, a 4 yr old is a lot different than a 6 yr old, imo. I agree that this is a silly poll.

I believe this is a poster trying to avoid violating advertising policies by giving a very basic description and comparing prices based on that description between disciplines.

I think it makes sense as a poll to get an idea the difference in pricing and thoughts on the horse.

Also, do you care about breed or registry? Most of the time warmblood is not a breed.

Dressage_Julie
Jan. 12, 2011, 05:37 PM
I agree there is some important information missing to accurately represent the value. In Chicago, I would say this horse would go for around 30k, if it does have the potential to go far and is ammy friendly. I think where the horse is also plays a role...

paintjumper
Jan. 12, 2011, 10:12 PM
The bloodlines MAKE the horse. Totillas is still a hell of a dressage horse........whether he is a gelding or a stallion. Of course bloodlines matter. Oh...........

Bats79
Jan. 12, 2011, 10:50 PM
I marked 20 - 30 but it wouldn't take much to drop such a horse down to the 15 - 20 price bracket and only something a bit special to pump it up to the 20 - 30.

That said (and I think it is pretty safe saying so on this forum because I'm on the otherside of the world) I have a 17hh 4yo mare with nice conformation, brilliant temperament, okay 6-7 movement at the most and up to 3'3" as a hunter (packer eventually) and I expect to get close to 10k for her based on her temperament alone. There are not that many big horses that look nice (she's Holsteiner x TB) and are as sweet as her.

FEI1Day
Jan. 13, 2011, 12:14 AM
I have a rising 5 yr. old imported WB mare, TR level scores +70% in recognized shows with "8" on gaits, lovely flying changes, AMAZING temperament, nerves of steel, elastic and supple, beautiful and very dark brown/black to boot - I would not consider anything less than $50k and as soon as I show her First level, that price increases - not that she is for sale. LOL!

WBLover
Jan. 13, 2011, 09:00 AM
Sorry, but bloodlines DO matter. All of the Sandro-Donner-Welt-Rubin's fetch a MUCH higher price than some of the bloodlines that are not en-vogue right now. Sometimes as much as $20k higher, not exaggerating, just look at the DressageDaily Horsemarket website!

I got a registered WB 4yo JUST as you described above for $12k because he's not by a stallion du jour, yet if he were, he would have been easily $25k. Even without a show record! And he's even black with chrome (also very desirable), got good scores at his inspection, but he just didn't have those bloodlines.

Now, because your horse has more training than my did when I bought him, and has shown, I'd put yours at $15-20k, just without seeing him and assuming he's not of the popular bloodlines right now.

So it's really hard to say without specifics, although I am sure you are trying not to violate the rules.

SillyHorse
Jan. 13, 2011, 09:06 AM
It really depends on who is looking at him. For instance, I wouldn't even look at a 17+ hand horse; others find that irresistible.

WBLover
Jan. 13, 2011, 09:08 AM
Also realize that the market is flooded with average joe's and even slightly above average joe's right now, and buyers are FICKLE, and they can afford to be! The slightest thing may make him not worth looking at for someone if the price isn't right. Too big, not pretty enough, etc. Silly things, really, but it's a buyer's market right now.

And I also wouldn't look at anything 17H or taller...so that would have put him out of the running for me right off the bat.

Velvet
Jan. 13, 2011, 12:20 PM
Fair questions, CHT.
Horsie in question is a WB (gelding - so lets not dwell on bloodlines).

Ah, but bloodlines and breed registries matter to the price of a horse. Anyone can claim to have a WB these days, even if it's a TB/draft--which is worth a LOT less than a WB. Especially a WB with a brand. :yes:

You cannot discount these things in putting a value/price on a horse.

Also would need to know how the horse truly moves, and if your idea of First Level is the same as mine. :lol:

Unfforgettable
Jan. 13, 2011, 01:45 PM
1. Real warmblood, or draft cross being called a warmblood? Modern look or old fashioned elephant under saddle look?

2. Would need to see conformation pics, since currently sound doesn't mean much if there's a structural issue that can cause problems down the road.

3. Need pics also because of eye appeal... a very attractive horse will usually command a higher price than an average looking horse.

4. I'd want to see current test scores to validate the horse is really doing the work. Too often, a horse is advertised as one thing, but is competitively quite another.

An average looking draft cross of your description is going to cost far less than a good looking, well bred warmblood....too many variables left undisclosed to price.

Eclectic Horseman
Jan. 13, 2011, 01:58 PM
Also really depends on where the horse is located. In my area, horse would be about $25k, but good luck if you are trying to sell him yourself out of a back yard barn. The seller would get that if the horse is in a training barn with a well known trainer. Otherwise, meh.

People just don't want to spend a lot of time traveling to look at horses one at a time. What a horse is worth and whether he will sell are two different things.

Donella
Jan. 13, 2011, 03:05 PM
If the horse is truly as described, decently bred/registered then I would think at least 25k. I know people who have been shopping for tall , dark, good moving , SANE geldings for a long time now in the 20k and under and there is not one to be found. But these horses are rare, so again, it would have to honestly be as described.

mzm farm
Jan. 14, 2011, 10:44 AM
Donella, I tried to PM you but your box is full!