PDA

View Full Version : What do you store your saddle pads in?

PuraVidaEventing
Jan. 12, 2011, 01:10 AM
Yup, like the title says! They dont fit in my Stanley trunk and I don't want to be the obnoxious lower level girl with two trunks haha. So what do you use? I've seen friends who use some sort of square bag- well I guess it's more of a cube lol- for their pads. Any help/ ideas is appreciated :) thank you!

scubed
Jan. 12, 2011, 08:09 AM
I just use a standard duffle bag (http://www.luggagepros.com/victorinox-avolve-large-carry-all-duffel-cargo-bag.shtml) in which I also put a bunch of my other gear - end pocket big enough for helmet, but this is nice: http://www.sstack.com/product/dura-tech-multi-pad-carrier/

Another option is to get a multipurpose garment bag and put saddle pads in the bottom half: http://www.foxsdentackshop.com/mod/ecs/index.php?ViewProduct=1117

FlightCheck
Jan. 12, 2011, 08:33 AM
or purchase a saddle BLANKET (aka western) pad bag.

For shows, I have a rubbermaid plastic "thingie" which is just big enough for 3 pads - hard to describe, but it is a clear plastic container the shape of an all purpose pad.

(not that you asked) Also, a western chaps hanging bag is the perfect size to hold your vest and keep it clean.

WishIWereRiding
Jan. 12, 2011, 08:35 AM
A shelf in my basement, and I just bring what pad to the barn I want to use that day. Yes, I have that many!

*Trinity*
Jan. 12, 2011, 09:28 AM
I keep the big plastic bags that winter blankets come in - I can fit at least six saddle pads in them, plus a couple half pads. And, they have handles. Less bulky than putting them in a Rubbermaid container and great for shows. At shows, I stuff it behind my truck when I'm not using it to save space and make the stall front look neater.

Coeur*de*Cheval
Jan. 12, 2011, 09:46 AM
For showing I have my saddles in zippered cases so I fold the pads in half and put them on top of the saddles. However, it doesn't work very well with the ecogold pads so I put my XC pad in my trunk and then take it out when I get to the show and put it with my saddle.

Those Stanley trunks seem big enough until you try and put
All your stuff in them and then they arent so big, I've been having the problem when I try to put all my show stuff in it recently.

leilatigress
Jan. 12, 2011, 09:53 AM
Tall kitchen trash bags. They all get stored in a rubbermaid trunk in my dinky house but I like them being protected. So trash bag it is, I can see which one it is and just pick it up and go. Keeps it clean, dry and if the bag rips I have another one. Plus the dirtiest smellest ones fit right in and I can toss the polos, breeches etc. in too and then put the whole mess (minus bag) into the laundry. I want to get some of the large gift wrap bags or maybe laundry bags that way I can toss it all in the machine but trash works for now.

deltawave
Jan. 12, 2011, 10:04 AM
A pile on a shelf in the tack room. :p

Used to hang them over a shower rod in my old trailer. My new trailer has a nifty little swinging blanket bar that will be home to saddle pads--can't wait to use that sucker! :D

Those clear plastic things that horse blankets and comforters come in are cool, and I always think "these will be so handy for horse stuff!" but I have NEVER actually used one. I'm just not that organized.

xitmom
Jan. 12, 2011, 10:15 AM
I keep about 3 of them under each saddle on their saddle racks, so that I always have some clean ones available. I store my show quality ones in my trailer.

ezmissg
Jan. 12, 2011, 10:33 AM
Thinking about this makes me realize that I might have a saddle pad addiction! I have some at home that don't go in heavy rotation, and I keep the rest (some in those blanket bags) in a rubbermaid bin next to my tack cabinet.

They used to reside in my cabinet on top of my saddles...until the day that I went to grab a folded poly pad while tacking up. When I shook it, out fell about 6 BABY MICE! :eek: :eek: They scurried, I JUMPED and SCREAMED, and the barn worker mucking the stall in front of me almost fell down laughing! :lol:

This made me not care about having an extra bin!

MLD
Jan. 12, 2011, 11:03 AM
My schooling pads get stored on a shelf above my Stanley trunk in the tack room at the barn.

For my show pads, I use skirt/pants hangers to hang them from and put recycled dry cleaner bags over the top to keep them clean. They are stored on a hanging rod in my garage. At shows, I either keep them hanging in the tack room of my trailer, or if we have a designated tack room, then I just hang them up in there.

I like the idea of using a bag a blanket came out of. I have reused some of the smaller bags that my fly sheets came out of to store my pillow wraps. I also used a nice little plastic bag my brush boots came out of to store the standing wraps.

Desert Topaz
Jan. 12, 2011, 11:12 AM
I've been thinking about making my show pads a bag. I have a ton of brocade fabric left from my costuming days. Not exactly barn friendly, but I figure it'll look really snazzy :D I've been considering making a whole bag set out of the green and gold brocade (I have like 8 yards,) but they aren't my colors, or anywhere near my colors :(

Jan. 12, 2011, 01:09 PM
I use the clear plastic bags that horse blankets, comforter/sheet sets, and dog beds come in, they are clear so you can see what's in there, they have a zipper for easy access, and handles so you can easily carry or hang them. I seperate mine out into show pads, jumping pads, and dressage pads. All but my biggest dressage pads will lie flat in them, so no folding or lumping.

Ibex
Jan. 12, 2011, 01:13 PM
The backseat of my truck... :uhoh:

wildlifer
Jan. 12, 2011, 01:43 PM
They go in a rubbermaid tub in my trailer tack room.

ake987
Jan. 12, 2011, 01:50 PM
I'm sitting here thinking to myself "Why does she need a bag for her saddlepads? Why would they even need to fit in her trunk?"

And then I realized that for eventing, we all need to truck 3 different pads with us! I switched from hunterland in June, but I'm still learning! Can you tell I haven't competed at my first event yet? ;)

Since I switched to an eventing barn my tack trunk has exploded. I don't want/can't afford a whole new trunk, so I'm just going to do what many of the other girls do, and buy a decent size rubbermaid container. I figure that can serve as something smaller to throw my crap in to trailer around, and I'd rather have two of those that I can carry myself, than one huge trunk that I need help moving. This way, faster trailer loading/unloading.

Also, I guess you could have three containers, one for dressage gear, one for stadium gear, and one for XC gear? Even three of those would either = 1 large trunk or maybe 1 1/2, so it wouldn't be like you're taking up a lot more room. That, and they can be stacked and moved around to fit in smaller places than a huge trunk! (think shoving them in the tiny crevices found in oddly designed trailers)

PuraVidaEventing
Jan. 12, 2011, 01:57 PM
Somehow I never thought of the idea of using the bags blankets come in! Love that idea! I dug around and found the ones my heavyweights came in (which are GIGANTIC haha and fit all my saddle pads)! Thank you for that idea! I'll be doing that until I have enough extra money to justify buying a special bag for saddle pads :)

Xanthoria
Jan. 12, 2011, 03:26 PM
These: http://www.containerstore.com/shop/storage/storageBags?productId=10008441&N=71237

They're very tough. I have two, one for dressage pads and one for jump pads.

enjoytheride
Jan. 12, 2011, 04:56 PM
Erm, the floor of my bedroom closet. I bring one out a week to use.

cmdrcltr
Jan. 12, 2011, 05:30 PM
I've been thinking about making my show pads a bag. I have a ton of brocade fabric left from my costuming days. Not exactly barn friendly, but I figure it'll look really snazzy :D I've been considering making a whole bag set out of the green and gold brocade (I have like 8 yards,) but they aren't my colors, or anywhere near my colors :(

Oh, me, me! Those are my barn owner's colors. :D Of course, I can't sew to save my life.:no:

retreadeventer
Jan. 12, 2011, 07:23 PM
I use an Ikea blue bag, I like it. Open at the top to help air them out but keeps dust and dirt off and easy to sling about.

Pads in tack room are on a rack, pads in trailer are piled in gooseneck.

Hollywood
Jan. 12, 2011, 07:54 PM
These: http://www.containerstore.com/shop/storage/storageBags?productId=10008441&N=71237

They're very tough. I have two, one for dressage pads and one for jump pads.

oh, I like this idea!

My show pads are in a clear rubbermaid container in my trailer. The rest take over my tack room on saddle pad bars...I have way too many saddle pads too...and I just ordered new dressage pads for schooling!

TBrescue
Jan. 12, 2011, 10:37 PM
Mine are in my trunk...and under my 2 saddles, and in my tack closet at home. What saddle pad problem???

PuraVidaEventing
Jan. 12, 2011, 10:40 PM
lol! love all the comments about bedrooms, floors, basements, trucks...that's where mine used to live :) However I work for someone who likes organization...a LOT. haha. So I need somewhere to keep them neatly organized lol.
Thank you for all the ideas! I never even thought of some of these...can't wait to decide what I'm gonna order and then organize haha :)

Outyougo
Jan. 13, 2011, 12:40 PM
In response to an earlier post.

Due to for "family" housing I have learned to keep my blankets, pads and shipping boots in a metal garbage can! Some of the home-less manage to chew thru theblanket bags--easy, burrow into the neat stacks on the shelves and engineer wee entry doors in the Rubbermaid and Stanley containers.

My dog loves to help me find clean (and ocupied) pads and sheets!

Metal Cans!!

Ok for showing I do use an un-occupied platric container. Makes it handy to bring home other peoples mice!

Catie79
Jan. 13, 2011, 01:25 PM
I keep the bulk in a stack in my car. It's a tack trunk on wheels. When I need one, I snag it and take it into the barn. When the stack in the barn gets too big, they're loaded in the car for 'horse laundry day'. After the washing and calming down the husband, back into my car. Harder to forget them this way.

At shows, I actually made a set of drawstring bags in my colors for my stuff. One for shipping boots, another for the various odds and ends that get lost in the peak of the trainer's trailer. I have one for my bridles that's almost done. I look like I'm going to a slumber party, but I can always find my stuff. I toss my saddle pads in there with the rest of my equipment, and when I get home from the show, everything in that bag that's washable goes right in the wash. Including the bag. Super easy for one day shows.

Peggy
Jan. 13, 2011, 04:20 PM
I have a large tack locker, so they go on the saddle rack under the saddle rack where I put my saddle. But, at any one time, several are migrating between my car, and some stage of being washed at home.

carolprudm
Jan. 14, 2011, 08:29 AM
I have 3 schooling pads that are either on top of or under Sophie's saddle on the saddle stand. Clean pad is taken from under the saddle, used once and put on top of the saddle, used again, washed, air dried and put under the saddle.

My three good pads, two white and one Irish green reside in my saddle carrier.

Then there is the large collection of pads I don't use any more because they are shaped and Sophie is not. They are stored in a very old suitcase, the kind before they made soft sided rolling luggage. It is Harvest Gold and dates from the 60's:eek:

pheasantknoll
Jan. 14, 2011, 10:17 AM
What about pop up laundry baskets? They are vertical so don't take up much space, let in air to fight mildew,mold, etc. I don't have enough pads that this is an issue, but I would put one in tack room for dirty pads and boots to go to laundry and one in trailer (show pads).