PDA

View Full Version : Poly Pads

JustABay
Jan. 11, 2011, 10:30 PM
Just a quick question for the eventing crowd about Poly Pads. My eventer friend introduced me to these lovely pads a couple weeks ago and pony and I are in love! The one I'm using fits beautifully, has washed well and Mr. Pony has not protested the use of it one bit! I asked about why I had never heard of them in hunterland before and she jokingly told me "oh, they're an eventer thing" :winkgrin: :lol:

Just looking for some info on how well these fare long term, if they affect saddle fit, if they squish or flatten out with too much use, or any other note worthy issues...With a 60$ price tag, it's worth knowing some background info on.

Thanks! :D

VicariousRider
Jan. 11, 2011, 10:40 PM
In all honesty, i can't stand them but that is because they are such a pain to launder (they take up a ton of room in the machine) and I find that horses get too hot in them in the late spring/summer/early fall. However, I am not aware of more severe problems like saddle fit, etc.

I prefer a baby pad (a very hunter-y thing!) with a sheepskin half pad. It is so easy to wash the baby pads and I have found the sheepskin to be the best cushion with "breathability".

FuzzyTB
Jan. 11, 2011, 10:43 PM
I've had mine for close to ten years and it looks new! The "stuffing" hasn't budged with all the use and washing, color looks great (mine's navy), and the fabric shows no wear. Totally worth the money IMO. :-)

PuraVidaEventing
Jan. 11, 2011, 10:48 PM
I love poly pads! I don't own any of my own but at one ws position we used them on all our horses! They were used in so cal heat with no problems with horses overheating, all were used and washed often and hold up super well! I'll definitely be buying some as soon as I get my moms approval to spend that much money on a saddle pad! Lol!

IFG
Jan. 11, 2011, 11:15 PM
I love them. They last really well. Sometimes you can find them on Ebay pretty cheaply.

Doctracy
Jan. 11, 2011, 11:18 PM
Hate them. Lose my close contact feel with the horse, plus, on one horse, they keep sliding back under the saddle.

goodmorning
Jan. 11, 2011, 11:43 PM
Could someone post a link please?

chestnutwithchrome
Jan. 11, 2011, 11:48 PM
I adore the cheap roma versions. They stay up much better than a thin saddle pad, and my horse is much happier and has no dry spots. I am thinking about buying an actual poly pad as well, but haven't had the money.

visorvet
Jan. 12, 2011, 12:05 AM
I like the Roma versions better (the Softie pads) - they are cheaper, a bit less poofy, have a shaped wither, and seem to stay in place a bit better. I also like that they are black on one side and white on the other. Wash well and I can fit more than one in the washing machine. I doubt they are anywhere near as durable as the real PolyPads, but I have both and never seem to reach for the PolyPads.

This is what I am talking about:
http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_X1-19545

PuraVidaEventing
Jan. 12, 2011, 12:10 AM
Could someone post a link please?

http://www.bitofbritain.com/PolyPads_All_Purpose_Saddle_Pads_p/0163.htm

I just ordered the reversible version :) I was trying to decide between navy and hunter (I'm afraid I'm going to switch barns, and switch colors etc haha) and was about to order both and then saw the reversible one! lol. Anyways.

Highflyer
Jan. 12, 2011, 06:37 AM
Hate them. My horses all seem to have high withers, and the pad took up all the wither clearance and caused a big rub when I tried it.

Loopy
Jan. 12, 2011, 06:54 AM
Dreadful things. But they make great dog beds :)

Too bulky, so Id need to have my saddle refitted to use them. Ive used them years ago, not been happy with them and had slippage.

As for quality, I know someone who had a load of new polypads for the entire barn to replace the old ones, and they wore really badly really quickly and polypad were less than helpful.

yellowbritches
Jan. 12, 2011, 08:07 AM
Hate them. My horses all seem to have high withers, and the pad took up all the wither clearance and caused a big rub when I tried it.
Ha. Funny. We use them on the BFG, who is prehistoric with his withers. They make him a lot more comfortable.

I am not a hater or a lover. I use them on the horses I think they are better on. I go through stages where I absolutely love them and want to use them on everyone. But, really, they are perfect for some horses, but not on others.

FlightCheck
Jan. 12, 2011, 08:40 AM
My 2 polypads have lasted over 5 years with a LOT of use on multiple horses.

As someone else said, depends on the horse and the saddle as to whether I use them.

They soak up a LOT of moisture before it "seeps through" to a saddle - quite a benefit in muggy Florida.

purplnurpl
Jan. 12, 2011, 08:59 AM
I've had mine for about 10 years.
I actually like them broken in more than new.

The only thing band about them is that if you need to hook some sort of equipment that needs a girth billet, such as a breast collar, you are SOL.

I don't think they are an "eventing thing". They have been in the saddle pad section of Dover, SLT, and other such catalogs for years.

:winkgrin:

for high withered horses I just grab the pad and pull it up before tightening the girth.
Never had an issue.

*Trinity*
Jan. 12, 2011, 09:25 AM
Schneider's has knock-offs on sale for $19 right now! www.sstack.com

sharri13
Jan. 12, 2011, 09:46 AM
Due to their expense, I buy the know-off version by Roma. I LOVE them! They wash and wear incredibly well. I get the reversable version for more use. I have Devoucoux's and they are a perfect fit. I've never had a problem with them fitting. And cost 1/3 as much as a Poly Pad.

If you're looking for custom saddlepads with the same style/feel, www.padperfect.com make great pads.

purplnurpl
Jan. 12, 2011, 10:49 AM
Schneider's has knock-offs on sale for $19 right now! www.sstack.com (http://www.sstack.com)

I searched poly pad and found these:
ooo I like!
http://www.sstack.com/Horse-BootsWraps_Therapy/D-tech-Magnetic-Tendon-Boot-Pr/

http://www.sstack.com/Horse-BootsWraps_Therapy/D-tech-Magnetic-Ankle-Boot/?green=17199818867

purplnurpl
Jan. 12, 2011, 10:51 AM
here they are:

http://www.sstack.com/English_Saddle-Pads_DressageSquare-Cut/Pillow-Comfort-Pad/

compared to the name brand:
http://www.legacytack.com/pc/10629/APPAD/PolyPads+Saddle+Pads.html

deltawave
Jan. 12, 2011, 11:15 AM
I love them, but not the super-thick ones. I have had two of those, and one of them is still around . . . the cats sleep on it! :lol: I didn't like the other--too puffy.

I have never had anything remotely resembling a "feel" of my horse, so what saddle pad I use is not a factor in THAT department. :lol:

The ones I have are remarkably resistant to slipping, even when other pads do, so no complaints there. Some people (probably fairly) claim they become very heavy and sodden when they get very sweaty, but I have not had that prove to be a major issue. I don't show in them, though--I guess if it were 100 degrees on endurance day at a CCI it might factor in. ;)

I have one that I bought when Kelly (the real "Delta Wave") was about 6 or 7 years old. Kelly is 24 this year. :D That is still my favorite pad. I think they get better, softer, and nicer with age and in fact I wash new ones about half a dozen times before I start liking them. Durable, for me, has not been an issue. ;)

Jan. 12, 2011, 11:35 AM
I have several and used to like them until I lost one on cross country one time. No kidding, it wriggled itself out from under my saddle (girth was tight!) on a sleek little ottb.
I'm planning on putting mine on ebay.

RoeVee
Jan. 12, 2011, 11:43 AM
I have two green ones - have had both for over 10 years. Like everyone else is saying, I love them after they are broken in much more so then when they are new. I haven't had any slippage issues. I live in Colorado, these are the pads I use from Oct-Apr to school in. They are bulkier and, I am hoping, keep my horses backs warmer when I ride. I love my poly pads!

Arcadien
Jan. 12, 2011, 11:54 AM
Love them. They've worked well for years on all my TB's under my Stubben Imperatore.

I admire the baby pad + half pad look, and since it seems to get good reviews here, have long planned to try that when my Poly Pads wear out -

"Unfortunately" it seems Poly Pads do NOT wear out!! lol - I'm on 10 years with mine, they just seem to get better.

I think Poly Pad a good choice for those with mutliple horses and not a custom fitted saddle for each. The only time it slipped on me was when I was lunging a baby & didn't have the girth all the way tight yet.

Mind the few knock offs I've seen did not impress me as much as the original. Haven't tried them all tho.

goodmorning
Jan. 12, 2011, 12:10 PM
Interesting. I've used this pad before, a similar idea. You can get custom colors from Smartpak, FWIW. They also do not die.
http://www.vtosaddlery.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=VTO&Product_Code=TWP&Category_Code=

pattnic
Jan. 12, 2011, 01:30 PM
I had the Rambo version years ago; I found that it was too long for my horses' short backs. I also tried the Dover version, but the drop was too short and it was WAY too fluffy - it looked a lot like the ones selling at Schneider's. I don't know how the regular Poly pads compare.

I will admit, however, that as of late, I have again become intrigued... but I'm still leery of how they would fit my (same) short-backed horses.

Loopy
Jan. 12, 2011, 04:01 PM
"Unfortunately" it seems Poly Pads do NOT wear out!! lol - I'm on 10 years with mine, they just seem to get better.

That was the problem with the person I mentioned in my earlier post, the polypads they had had before lasted many years, the new ones just died in no time at all, they just werent of the same quality as the old ones.
IIRC they sent samples back to see if the fabric was faulty and polypad said not.

Daisey-Bogie
Jan. 12, 2011, 05:03 PM
i love them. Also use them instead of regular dressage pads. I look for them anytime i go to the consigment shop. Got my last one for 8 bucks. Needed 15 stitches and all new. Gottta love them.

rivenoak
Jan. 12, 2011, 05:10 PM
I have a couple and like them a lot. Have used them on a few horses with no problems of fit/heat.

They did slip, but most of my pads slip, and they were no worse than anything else.

Solved that problem by adding my own girth loops: sewed on little strips of nylon webbing. I hate billet straps on anything, but love girth loops.

I would like to get a few more as other pads wear out.

Oh, I tried Dover's knockoff and ended up giving it to the dogs. Not the same quality of filler.

maggini
Jan. 12, 2011, 08:50 PM
I have two Throughbreds with narrow, kind of bony backs (even with topline muscle!)- one with withers from hell and the other with smallish withers. My two polypads fit both guys great! Keep in mind I ALWAYS pull the saddlepad up into the gullet, no matter what type of pad I'm using. I'm also super-conscious of my saddle fit.

I probably have more than one too many saddlepads and I'd have to say that the polypads are some of my favorites (note: I like using it better than my BoT + thinline pad and my Mattes pad with a baby pad for jumping). I got one done custom (if you talk to your tack shop you can have them order it for you) to use on XC 5 years ago. 5 years later it still looks practically brand new. I bought the other 2 or 3 years ago at Rolex for schooling. It has this super-awesome trim that fades from purple to royal blue to baby blue.

I pretty much only jump in the schooling polypad and wash it at least once a week in the summer. No wear issues and no slipping issues so far. I can't feel a "bulk" issue with it vs. normal saddlepad vs. baby pad + Mattes pad. It gets more than a bit sweaty in the middle of summer with our crazy heat and humidity, but it's no worse than any other saddlepad.

rivenoak
Jan. 13, 2011, 01:07 AM
Interesting. I've used this pad before, a similar idea. You can get custom colors from Smartpak, FWIW. They also do not die.
http://www.vtosaddlery.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=VTO&Product_Code=TWP&Category_Code=

Ahhh, Franconia. I still have a custom rub-rag from them in that waffle fabric; it must date back to 1993 or so.

Wordplay1832
Jan. 13, 2011, 02:47 AM
I second the pad perfect link that someone put on here! i just got one this fall at the end of my season so haven't shown in it yet but they are really popular here in the midwest (the manufacturer is from the midwest so they're sold here). I had been eyeing them for a while but am actually glad I waited because they are now cut in a wither relief cut to allow for more clearance on higher withered horses. I have schooled in mine a few times and really like it and can't wait to use it schooling XC this spring to make sure that it'll stay okay during an actual event. But I have talked to a bunch of people that use them and they swear by them!