PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the CO JL9 vest?

*Trinity*
Jan. 11, 2011, 06:33 PM
Any thoughts on the CO JL9 vest (gel) versus the original foam vest? Is the gel heavier? Hotter? Any thoughts on safety differences? I currently have a Tipperary but would like a CO vest. I'm torn between which one.

Here is the gel vest:
http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_X1-40565

Here is the original foam vest: http://www.doversaddlery.com/adults-charles-owen-ultra-lite-body-protector/p/X1-40289/cn/128/

eponacowgirl
Jan. 11, 2011, 06:41 PM
I tried a JL9 on this summer and loved it. Didn't wear it to ride in, but instantly form fitting. Felt very non-restrictive. Weight didn't register.

IntegritySporthorses
May. 2, 2011, 07:56 AM
Any other thoughts on this? I think I'm going to get one.

I went to Dover to try them on for size. They didn't have the gel one in the store but said I could order it online. However, it's not listed online anymore so I guess SmartPak will get my business...

sheltoneb
May. 2, 2011, 08:21 AM
I don't know how it compares to the foam vest, but I love my JL9. When riding in it, I never noticed it. It did not restrict in anyway.

yellowbritches
May. 2, 2011, 08:23 AM
I wore one at my last few events last year (my old Equi-Cashel did not work with my Point 2) and really liked it. Bought my own over the winter and finally wore it for the first time on Saturday. LOVE IT. Very comfy, pretty cool (as cool as any vest can be, that is), not heavy at all.

If you can, I strongly encourage getting fit by a proper CO rep. I did and have a better fitting vest because of it. You can mix and match fronts and backs when you work with a real rep (doesn't cost any more), and get a much more custom fit. I am an S adult in front and an XL kids in back (I think...it may be the opposite). The S all around was too big for me, so putting the kids XL panel on made it fit just right.

whicker
May. 2, 2011, 08:36 AM
VTO saddlery has it, too.

Anyone know how it is in hot weather?
Anyone try it on at Rolex?

Mary King was wearing a vest in her colors. Is that the point air custom?

yellowbritches
May. 2, 2011, 08:44 AM
The Point 2 she had on was in custom colors (those are the BE colors, actually). Several people had custom Point 2s on, actually. You can get the CO vests in custom colors if you order from a rep (mine is red).

Any vest is going to be hot in the summer. Just the nature of the beast. I wore my borrowed one in August and September (hot months in our parts), and it was reasonable.

IntegritySporthorses
May. 2, 2011, 10:00 AM
Where did you get fitted by a CO rep?

I *think* I really need a youth xl front and and adult small back. The youth xl fit perfectly but seemed a bit short down the back. The adult small was right in length but overlapped around the sides.

I was, however, trying on the old style, not the gel. I wonder if they fit differently.

jn4jenny
May. 2, 2011, 10:15 AM
Any thoughts on safety differences?

The CO Ultralite (foam) is rated to BETA 3. The CO JL9 (gel) is rated to BETA 2. You can read the differences between these standards on the BETA web site:
http://betauk.org/Safety/ProtectStandard.asp

But of particular interest is this phrase in the BETA 2 standard: "appropriate for use in low risk situations. These DO NOT include riding on roads or other hard surfaces, riding over jumps, riding young or excitable horses, or riding while still inexperienced."

Disclaimer: I wear a non-BETA-certified Casel-Equi vest and am very happy with that decision, so this is not some surreptitious post suggesting that we should all be wearing BETA 3 vests.

*Trinity*
May. 2, 2011, 04:21 PM
I should update that I purchased the JL9 at Rolex. I tried on Aerowear, Rodney Powell, CO, and another brand (can't remember the name) - the CO fit me the best. I 'upgraded' from the Tipperary and was worried about stiffness/comfort in the certified vests, but found the JL9 very comfortable. In fact, I like it better than my Tipperary, as it offers a bit more 'support' to my torso without feeling stiff or constricting. My student also purchased a JL9, as she currently rides in the older CO vest model and doesn't like it. Although it fits her perfectly, she claims it knocks the wind out of her when she falls. We're both very happy with our purchases.

PS: selling my Tipperary!

technopony
May. 2, 2011, 04:26 PM
I've ridden in one event in my JL9 - it was in the 60's. I truly do find it hotter than my tipp, but I don't consider it a big issue - it is perfectly comfortable even with my hit-air on top.

yellowbritches
May. 2, 2011, 05:43 PM
I was fitted by someone from the Tack Box in Middleburg, VA. Some dealers go through proper fitting training, some don't. I ended up purchasing my vest through my more local tack shop (they ordered it for me), but since I already knew the sizes I needed, I just told them what it was. I'm not exactly sure how you find out who in your area can fit you. Maybe contact CO directly.

eventer_mi
May. 2, 2011, 09:10 PM
I am pretty claustrophobic and really did NOT like my Tipperary. I bought a JL9 and can wear it without hyperventilating. It's hot, but no hotter than my old Tipp. I had one of the original COs, but I felt it was too restrictive and always slightly panicked when I put it on. I tend to forget that I'm wearing my JL9, which is saying something. Btw, I honestly don't think there is that much difference in the vests until you start looking at the exoskeleton ones. I have an adult small long back and small front.

sarah88
May. 2, 2011, 09:22 PM
Any thoughts on the CO JL9 vest (gel) versus the original foam vest? Is the gel heavier? Hotter? Any thoughts on safety differences? I currently have a Tipperary but would like a CO vest. I'm torn between which one.

Here is the gel vest:
http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_X1-40565

Here is the original foam vest: http://www.doversaddlery.com/adults-charles-owen-ultra-lite-body-protector/p/X1-40289/cn/128/

I felt one recently and it was much squishier...