PDA

View Full Version : spinoff: Impact Testing...anyone done it?

rivenoak
Jan. 11, 2011, 05:07 PM
Has anyone (or family member, friend, etc) gone through the impact testing for concussions yet?

Anyone have go through the testing more than once yet?

I think I'm going to do it. I have the number of a doctor to call this week.

Ranger
Jan. 11, 2011, 06:03 PM
I am VERY familiar with IMPACT testing via my children and their concussions. It is a HUGE development in assesing return to play/return to school/return to work decisions. And a personal baseline test would be extremely helpful if you ever incur one - but they have statistical norms if you don't have one. All Middle and High School athletes are required to take a baseline at our school. "sit out for a week or two weeks" as the old standby recommendation is NOT enough. Only 40% of adolescent concussions heal within 2 weeks, and 90% within 4 weeks. And since it is a metabolic injury to the brain, eat protein, sleep, no school or homework or reading, no iPods / headphones, and no video games or computer time.... And be under the care of an IMPact doctor! Great that you know one!!

Doctracy
Jan. 11, 2011, 06:32 PM
Do you have a link to information on this?

Ranger
Jan. 11, 2011, 06:43 PM
Sure:

Www.impacttest.com

RAyers
Jan. 11, 2011, 06:54 PM
Sure, we do impact testing all the time. We use Charpy testers for polymer and steel fracture energy measurement. IZOD are just as good though.

Reed

rivenoak
Jan. 11, 2011, 07:04 PM
Oh, Reed. :lol:

I thought I had updated my original post to correctly capitalize, add a link, etc, but I guess it didn't go thru.

I wish I had a real baseline for myself, pre- multiple bonks on the head, but I think it'll be time well spent even now.