PDA

View Full Version : Haddad's Marriage

Velvet
Jan. 11, 2011, 11:47 AM
Just saw the note that she eloped and married someone she only met this year. Good for her! Seriously, if you know it's right, just do it. Seems to have worked for her in the past. Especially with going over to train and start a business in Germany. :yes:

Eventually, sounds like she'll be in NJ. That'll make her more accessible to Americans. Not a bad thing! :)

indyblue
Jan. 11, 2011, 02:35 PM
This year as in 2011?

Reddfox
Jan. 11, 2011, 03:09 PM
From her FB post - she's moving after the 2011 Olympics.

Can't wait - I'm really hoping to be able to clinic with her!

netg
Jan. 11, 2011, 03:11 PM
This year as in 2011?

I keep doing the same thing!

He was the team vet while she was in Gladstone. I didn't see a report saying whether they knew each other before that or not, but that they had more time to spend together then, at least.

Congrats to both, and I hope they're very happy!

Foxtrot's
Jan. 11, 2011, 04:38 PM
Typo - the London Olympics is 2012.

Janet
Jan. 11, 2011, 04:51 PM
But why do they say they eloped? Who were they running away from?

Reddfox
Jan. 11, 2011, 09:31 PM
Typo - the London Olympics is 2012.

oh darn, thanks!

CobJockey
Jan. 11, 2011, 09:42 PM
I eloped to Italy last year and it was the best decision I have ever made! More power to her!

tempichange
Jan. 12, 2011, 06:37 AM
But why do they say they eloped? Who were they running away from?

Nothing, some people prefer a private affair to a big public wedding.

Tiki
Jan. 12, 2011, 08:23 AM
Someplace I read that she just met him 7 months ago. Probably had a lot less time together than that. I guess it was a stranger across the room type of romance.

caddym
Jan. 12, 2011, 08:52 AM
If anyone is interested, check out her facebook page its all there with pictures...they met when she was here for WEG, fell in love, had a trip in Europe and Dubai, spent christmas at her family home in Michagan and got married in NYC - the pictures of all these adventures are on her facebook page and they look very very happy!

Janet
Jan. 12, 2011, 10:07 AM
Nothing, some people prefer a private affair to a big public wedding.
But a "private affair" is VERY different from an "elopement".

"Eloping" has the VERY STRONG connotation of "against the wishes of the parents" or "aganst the local rules and regulations"- especially any waiting period.

eponacelt
Jan. 12, 2011, 10:14 AM

"Eloping" has the VERY STRONG connotation of "against the wishes of the parents" or "aganst the local rules and regulations"- especially any waiting period.

While I agree it can have that connotation, I'm not sure that is how Catherine and her new husband might describe it. They had a city hall ceremony. Lots of reasons they could have done that, many of them having to do with timing - like not wanting to put it off to plan something, she's leaving the country, etc. By this definition, my brother "eloped" last year, although everyone on both sides of the family (his and his new wife) were happy about the marriage. They needed to get married for legal and financial reasons that didn't make sense to put off until they could plan the "big day".

Using the word "elope" was an editorial call on the part of COTH, I suspect.

Janet
Jan. 12, 2011, 10:32 AM
While I agree it can have that connotation, I'm not sure that is how Catherine and her new husband might describe it. They had a city hall ceremony. Lots of reasons they could have done that, many of them having to do with timing - like not wanting to put it off to plan something, she's leaving the country, etc. By this definition, my brother "eloped" last year, although everyone on both sides of the family (his and his new wife) were happy about the marriage. They needed to get married for legal and financial reasons that didn't make sense to put off until they could plan the "big day".

Using the word "elope" was an editorial call on the part of COTH, I suspect.

That is my point. Why didn't COTH just say they "married privately" instead of "eloped"?

ridgeback
Jan. 12, 2011, 10:44 AM

For the LOVE OF GOD get over your judgemental self. SIGH

Catherine also used the word eloped...that is what she did. BIG DEAL

netg
Jan. 12, 2011, 10:44 AM
That is my point. Why didn't COTH just say they "married privately" instead of "eloped"?

Somewhere she used the word.

I can't find it now, and that's frustrating me!

She gave a definition having something to do with a wedding held at City Hall with no ceremony/reception or something. Anyone else see that and remember where?

ridgeback
Jan. 12, 2011, 11:04 AM
She posted it on facebook. :eek: Big Party this summer.

elope - run away secretly with one's beloved; "The young couple eloped and got married in Las Vegas"
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Reynard Ridge
Jan. 12, 2011, 11:35 AM
Best wishes to the new couple! I love a good love story.
:yes:

Ibex
Jan. 12, 2011, 11:39 AM
Huge congrats to them....!!!

JSwan
Jan. 12, 2011, 11:45 AM

As someone who did truly elope, I get it. :lol:

Maybe folks don't understand what the word really means anymore, or the meaning has changed over the years.

There's also an air of romantic adventure in the word - which I'm sure the bride felt - even if she wasn't running away from an evil stepmother or a society mavens arched brow.

Wishing her joy in her new life!

Oberon13
Jan. 13, 2011, 04:36 PM
JSwan, I think you hit the nail on the head! Even if it isn't running away from something, the connotation of the word (not denotation) is that it's running TOWARDS something (adventure, love, romance, whatever).

I did that...married in the courthouse in Helena, MT. And we're still very happily married!

Joy and love to you, Catherine!

chisamba
Jan. 15, 2011, 11:27 PM
Thats Greg Stoller, i did not know he had got married. He is a nice guy, i take my horses to him for any strange unsoundness issue, i consider him my "leg" vet.

I wish them the best

SillyHorse
Jan. 17, 2011, 08:41 AM
For the LOVE OF GOD get over your judgemental self. SIGH

Catherine also used the word eloped...that is what she did. BIG DEAL
Well, she used it incorrectly. Unless she ran off secretly she most certainly did not elope, no matter what she said.

Velvet
Jan. 17, 2011, 02:09 PM
I think what they did might meet the definition of the word elope:

to run away secretly with the intention of getting married usually without parental consent

:yes:

SillyHorse
Jan. 17, 2011, 02:26 PM
How old is she? Is she so young that she would need her parents' consent to get married? I'm not talking about approval, but consent.