PDA

View Full Version : Boots needed

Doctracy
Jan. 10, 2011, 09:13 PM
I need some boots for hunting that will protect against cactus. My gelding is suffering from a nasty cellulitis from a stinkin' sticker! Need to be cool, light when wet, sturdy, non-rub when worn for a few hours. Hopefully, not a million bucks since I need three sets of four, my horse, hubby's and the my mare that my brother rides.
Hunters almost never wrap or bandage, too many things to go wrong. I've gotten sores, sticks and branches caught on the Velcro, my whip hung up on them, too heavy from water crossings, lost, etc. I gave up on them my first season, a decade ago. But, the hunting conditions where I hunt now are nothing like where I first started. Those cholla and especially barrel cactus can be brutal!
Your help will be greatly appreciated!

Highflyer
Jan. 10, 2011, 09:45 PM
Well, I have the Trizone Allsport boots. They're definitely light, don't hold water or rub, and hold up well. But I can't tell you how they do against cacti! They run slightly big--I have a solid 16.1+ TB and he wears the medium in front and the large behind.

http://www.vtosaddlery.com/product/BRUSHGALLOP/TAB1.htm

Doctracy
Jan. 11, 2011, 10:19 AM
Well, I have the Trizone Allsport boots. They're definitely light, don't hold water or rub, and hold up well. But I can't tell you how they do against cacti! They run slightly big--I have a solid 16.1+ TB and he wears the medium in front and the large behind.

http://www.vtosaddlery.com/product/BRUSHGALLOP/TAB1.htm
I'm thinking leather or a Kevlar type protection are necessary. I've had these things go through my hiking boots!
My TB seems to be Mr. Invincible, my paints, not so much!

Reagan
Jan. 11, 2011, 10:46 AM
I got these for my TB mare on trail rides. She is young and sometimes forgets where her legs are :rolleyes:. They are great. I have yet to get mud/dirt/sitcks/whatever in them, even in the muddiest of territories. They don't hold water, they are always dry when we get back to the trailer and I have never had them slip or rub, even when out for 3-4 hours or really moving out. Plus, they are CHEAP! I really like them!

http://www.doversaddlery.com/weatherbeeta-molded-galloping-horse-boots/p/X1-04255/cn/117/ These are the fronts, they also have full hind boots and just fetlock boots.

Doctracy
Jan. 11, 2011, 11:23 AM
I was just looking at those. Glad to see a good review!

wildlifer
Jan. 11, 2011, 01:24 PM
If you are serious about protection and breathability, go to Ecogold. You can hit them with an axe. Seriously. They are not cheap, but they will breathe so you won't cook your horse's tendon cells like neoprene/rubber will do.

Doctracy
Jan. 11, 2011, 01:48 PM
Thank you, I was looking at the Ecogolds and they look very good.
I'm going to spend more on boots than vet bills but hopefully will avoid more vet bills from cactus. Anyone have any good cactus stories to share? My guy is doing much, much better today, phew!

wildlifer
Jan. 11, 2011, 06:30 PM
I have had a few personal encounters with cactus (those dang cholla!) but no equine ones, thank goodness. I did see a friend's horse roll on a prickly pear stub, he jumped up in a hurry!!