PDA

View Full Version : Up And Over Farms: Winston

DocElle
Jan. 10, 2011, 06:04 PM
Anyone know if this farm is still around and owns the Grey Hanoverian Stallion, Winston? Ralph Hill rode this stallion for a short time.

scubed
Jan. 10, 2011, 06:42 PM
As of 2006, this listing: http://www.breeding-stallions.com/photos324.html

The woman there, Susan Resh of Phoenix Hill Stallions in FL was indicated as the owner, even when he was standing at Up and Over Farm. http://www.cowboy.com/category/203/Stallion_at_Service/listings/34112/Hanoverian_Stallion_Winston.html

The Up and Over Farm Website doesn't seem to exist anymore.

ThirdCharm
Jan. 10, 2011, 07:30 PM
Hunh yeah the website is gone. He was a nice stallion, I won a breeding to him in a benefit auction (when Kim Meier got hurt I think) and never got my mare bred because the vet they were using was always 'unavailable' when we needed a shipment (the clinic said he would only collect for one of their techs, who was always on vacation!). The farm owner changed clinics the next year but I had other plans for the mare by then..... bummer....

Jennifer

Lucyjane
Jan. 10, 2011, 09:38 PM
The last time I emailed Winston's owner, Sue Resh, with an update on my two boys, she said Winston was in Florida with her. If you PM me I can give you her email address.

Wee Dee Trrr
Jan. 10, 2011, 10:32 PM
Not sure if this is the same "Up N Over" you were looking for... but thought I'd share, as Nad is local.

http://www.upnoverstables.com/

Winston's Mom
Jan. 11, 2011, 11:50 AM
LucyJane sent me this thread, Jenn sorry about what happend with your breeding. Anyway, Up and Over was leasing Winston for breeding but when the economy went south they didn't get a lot of bookings and we had some vet issues, some of which I take the blame for, but in the end I decided it was in his best interest to bring him home. He is gelded and living the good life here with me in Florida, boarded at the same stable where he was born. He always enjoyed working so we keep him busy doing some light dressage. Even as a stallion he always was very good at taking care of his less than athletic Mom and seems quite content to do so now.
Ralph actually rode Winston his entire career through a few advanced horse trials and one or maybe even two star, don't remember, but we retired him at 13 just prior to the accident because of some nagging suspensory issues. It was important to me that he retired relatively sound and we chose not to push him any further. He deserves no less than a long and happy retirement as he always did everything we asked of him and tried his heart out each and every time out. He is truly a once in a life time horse and I will always remember our time in the eventing world very fondly and am very proud of the babies he put on the ground. Ralph also competed Winston's son Independance Day to Prelim. That boy is with a mutual friend, Ivy, who was with Ralph at the beginning of Winston's career and took care of Indy as a baby for a few weeks during weaning. They do mostly jumpers now. If there is anything in particular you need to know I am happy to answer any questions or help in any way I can.

FlightCheck
Jan. 11, 2011, 12:29 PM
I am absolutely delighted that Winston is home with you, Sue. Thank you for rewarding him with a wonderful "retirement".

ThirdCharm
Jan. 11, 2011, 01:31 PM
That's good to know....

DocElle
Jan. 11, 2011, 01:58 PM
Thank you to all of those that posted...I was able to get a hold of Sue. I have a Winston mare that I'm looking to find a new home for. Figured she was the best person to contact. Thanks again!

DocElle
Jan. 11, 2011, 02:11 PM
LucyJane I sent you a PM :)

CLV
Jan. 11, 2011, 07:34 PM
So glad to hear that Winston is doing well. I always loved that stallion. I have a coming 5 year old by him that I am finally getting started under saddle. It is a few years later then I would have liked to but no fault of his own. He is a very sweet boy and a really nice mover, I am looking forward to eventing him in the future. His name is Winslow and you can see him at www.cestlaviefarm.com under our horses.

Bensmom
Jan. 11, 2011, 09:33 PM
Sue, thanks for the Winston and Indy update! I'm so glad they are both doing well!

Quarterpaints22
May. 4, 2014, 10:01 PM
Hi guys , Winston and Susan now live in fortmill SC!!!! He is retired and just had his 20th bday :D