PDA

View Full Version : Keeping trailer ball from rusting?

tpup
Jan. 10, 2011, 10:31 AM
Newbie question. Got my BP trailer a year ago and my ball is starting to rust - surface only. I do try to take it off and store it in my garage between towings but have definitely kept it hooked to my truck many times too. Can anything be used to keep the ball from rusting further? Thx!

JSwan
Jan. 10, 2011, 10:37 AM
It should be greased.

deltawave
Jan. 10, 2011, 10:49 AM
Grease it, but surface rust will happen and is not a problem.

WildBlue
Jan. 10, 2011, 11:12 AM
Yup, definitely grease your balls. The better-quality stuff lasts longer.

coloredcowhorse
Jan. 10, 2011, 12:44 PM
Cut a decent sized X in a tennis ball, put a good sized glob of grease in the inside of the tennis ball and then put the ball down over the trailer ball and twist it around some...greases the trailer ball, keeps it covered, keeps grease OFF of you and doesn't cost much.

DMK
Jan. 10, 2011, 01:20 PM
Cut a decent sized X in a tennis ball,

son of a...

I can't tell you how many times I have brushed up against that stupid greased ball, always when I am in non barn jeans (smart enough to stay away from it in dress clothes) and never put two and two together (because I've seen tennis balls on hitch balls).

EquineImagined
Jan. 10, 2011, 01:31 PM
Don't feel bad DMK, I can't tell you how many times I've seen tennis ball covers and just never had the light bulb come on in my head that it would be a good idea for me too >.<

tpup
Jan. 10, 2011, 07:03 PM
What kind of grease? And we have plenty of tennis balls....so I can grease my ball and then cover it up :)

Inese
Jan. 10, 2011, 08:20 PM
Molybdenum. Not water soluable like WD-40, so it does.not.wash. off

use a tongue depressor or other tool to put it on the ball

deltawave
Jan. 10, 2011, 08:25 PM
Or just turn the tub over and stick it on the ball. Remove. Done.

Rabtfarm
Jan. 10, 2011, 08:27 PM
There's a midwest company makes a rust inhibiting/lubricant spray that is used by the airlines for airplane undercarriages called Boeshield T-9. They mailorder...just google the name. It dries so there is less mess. Good for lots of parts of your horse trailer..

StellaTMK
Jan. 10, 2011, 08:53 PM
I gave up on the tennis ball when my labrador puppy was found gnawing it off the hitch..

I now use a heavy piece of plastic over the ball and a rubberband around the neck to hold it on. When I take it off I just fold the plastic then wrap the rubber band around it and tuck it into a corner somewhere.

And they make a great hitch-ball grease that comes in 4oz (ish) squeeze containers. When I can actually find it, I will buy a few. just squirt and go. no more trying to dig grease out of the tub while trying to stay clean.

baysngreys
Jan. 10, 2011, 09:22 PM
I have a rubber cover that slips on the ball, stops rust, protects me from grease. Buy at any trailer/hitch supply store.

dawglover
Jan. 10, 2011, 09:34 PM
White lithium grease works well. Comes in tubs, squeeze tubes and convenient spray form. Available at all auto supply and farm stores!

hosspuller
Jan. 11, 2011, 03:21 PM
Lots more at trailertoys.com

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/trailertoys_2137_2627914

Liberty
Jan. 11, 2011, 03:25 PM
Well, if one wants to be a cheapskate like me, there's always a 9 oz. paper cup that fits nicely over the ball in my truck bed. Stays put because of the grease on the ball and keeps grease off me, bales of shavings, etc. Easily and cheaply replaced too.

Heart's Journey
Jan. 11, 2011, 04:06 PM
Ditto on the white lithium grease - I keep spray cans in the reat tack for the trailer and one in the garage for the garage door, etc you can get it at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc

Belg
Jan. 13, 2011, 02:15 PM
We use a ziploc bag for holding it, but the tennis ball is a neat idea.