PDA

View Full Version : A horse named Thomas Jefferson, and recordkeeping....

ThirdCharm
Jan. 10, 2011, 09:01 AM
One of my students bought a horse a year ago, rumored to have been at PD's barn.... never could find any info. Then Bonnie Mosser walked into her barn and recognized him! She rode him Prelim in 2007. He was for sale at that time for good money, although I don't know what he actually sold for....

When we got him he came with nothing but the rumor.... not even his show name. He is sane, honest, and after one xc schooling we figured he was worth about five times what she paid for him.

How does that happen in only three years??

Jennifer

BeverlyAStrauss
Jan. 10, 2011, 09:34 AM
How did the seller get him? One man's trash.......

Congratulations1

judybigredpony
Jan. 10, 2011, 09:47 AM
? did suffer an injury that was swept under the carpet i.e. failed a vetting somewhere down the line??

BestHorses
Jan. 10, 2011, 10:10 AM
? did suffer an injury that was swept under the carpet i.e. failed a vetting somewhere down the line??

That's my thought. He suffered some injury that no one wanted to deal with as a going preliminary horse so the owners "gave" him away and moved on. After a couple owners, the horse recovered enough to start being ridden and it's discovered he has real talent/training. If only horses could talk...

edit to add: In a lot of these situations I suspect there is a dealer/trainer along the way that picks up the horse, tags it with the BNT info but "forgets" the other info about the injury or quirks that made the horse previously unrideable.

ThirdCharm
Jan. 10, 2011, 11:00 AM
Possible I guess. The folks we got him from had had his hocks injected despite having totally clean hock xrays and passing their prepurchase, because he was a little weak on the left hind..... chiropractor fixed that, it was in his back and the fact that he was horribly out of condition. He had been in the Tryon area doing a little foxhunting and whatnot when they got him..... they had had him for about a year I think so that would have been in 2008....

He leftBonnie's b/c he drops rails in showjumping (he is extremely laid back and isn't real perturbed if he hits a fence). So maybe he got sold as a foxhunter (I know those can be pricey up in VA!), nobody cared about his eventing career and it just went by the wayside?

Now I gotta find out what you do when you register a horse with USEA and then find out he was previously shown under another name/reg number.....

Jennifer

IrishDeclan
Jan. 10, 2011, 01:41 PM
He was definitely at PD's barn. I tried him there in the fall of '07.

scubed
Jan. 10, 2011, 02:02 PM
http://www.zieglereventing.com/horsessold.html

He may or may not be the same horse with USEA #115488, which has his 2006 - 2007 eventing record. I know the woman who owned him in 2006/07

IrishDeclan
Jan. 10, 2011, 03:55 PM
I'm pretty sure that's the same horse.

ThirdCharm
Jan. 10, 2011, 04:06 PM
That's him! Found out more info.... sent back to owner for having rails, sold for a foxhunter, then to a jumper, minor strain, sent to family farm to recover, lost condition and kind of forgotten, sold to the people we got him from.... student is amazed!

Jennifer

kcmel
Jan. 10, 2011, 04:13 PM
http://www.zieglereventing.com/horsessold.html

He may or may not be the same horse with USEA #115488, which has his 2006 - 2007 eventing record. I know the woman who owned him in 2006/07

Looks like that one would drop rails :). Great find though--sounds like he landed in a good place.

ThirdCharm
Jan. 10, 2011, 04:18 PM
Yeah he is NOT the most careful jumper... he is just too laid back and chill to care about hitting the fences. You have to ride him REALLY accurately even at Novice.... but he is honest as the day is long and safe as houses! Great horse to learn on!!

Jennifer

OneWish
Jan. 10, 2011, 10:07 PM
Nevermind, just read that you got the information you needed! I