PDA

View Full Version : Grant sources for therapeutic riding programs

chai
Jan. 9, 2011, 09:11 PM
I am trying to get a TR program for our local Veterans up and running. Are there any COTHers who can suggest good sources to find grants and tips on how to write a compelling grant? I am going to donate my time and we have volunteers ready to help out.
Thanks!

Catersun
Jan. 10, 2011, 12:22 PM
local pro sports teams usually have grant programs we billed the program as a alternative sport program for those with disabilities. I asked for 10k, and got a 5k grant for our local Therapeutic Riding program from the carolina panthers. This was a couple years ago as I haven't been involved in TR since BC (before children)

There are TONS of sources out there, the biggest thing I can say is follow the required format to a T. Do Not Change the required format at all and provide EVERYTHING they request and nothing more. It sounds simple, but you'd be suprised at how many requests get pitched because they said to you a paperclip and you used a staple.

Bluey
Jan. 10, 2011, 12:55 PM
Look at state grants also, that is how our group did it here.

cowgirljenn
Jan. 10, 2011, 01:28 PM
There are rarely grants for 'start up' costs. And those that do give start up funds are going to want a detailed proposal of how the program will work, where you will get future funding, etc.

jumpytoo
Jan. 11, 2011, 12:02 AM
Pepsi and discover both had grants going this year..

Bluey
Jan. 11, 2011, 07:29 AM
I was thinking, try your local Chamber of Commerce.
The people there write applications for grants all the time and can help you find which ones are appropiate for you to apply for and how to go about it.

Sadly, TX is cutting down many grants this year and our handicapped horseback therapy group, a registered non-profit, is losing theirs, which pays for the insurance and can't operate without it.
Local business support and insurance claims for some clients, free services from the farrier and discounts from the vet, boarding and donations coming in, the horses loaned by local horse owners, the therapist working with volunteers, all that are not enough, so it is closing.

There are so many regulations any more, running such programs are about much more than a therapist with some helpers, a suitable horse in a suitable confined place and a client that needs rehab work.:(