PDA

View Full Version : It's 2011! time to call Danish Warmbloods Danish Warmbloods

danskbreeder
Jan. 9, 2011, 05:21 PM
I happen to be over on the Hunter/Jumper forum and noticed a thread on whether a certain horse is really worth $250K. So of course I looked at the ad and they call him a Holsteiner. Then I noticed his breeding and in the ad copy it even says he competed in Denmark for 7 years. OK his sire, Come Back II is a Cor de La Bryere son and Come Back II is also registered Holsteiner but this horse for sale is a Danish Warmblood!
With so many DWB horses competing at the WEG last year one would think that it's okay to call a DWB a Danish Warmblood!

risingstarfarm
Jan. 9, 2011, 05:26 PM
Absolutely.

I'm proud that my gorgeous Come Back II mare is a Danish Warmblood! Mare performance tested in Denmark too :)

Foxtrot's
Jan. 9, 2011, 05:35 PM
The two horses look like they could be related.

To ask the same question as I asked on the other thread - what IS his breeding on the mare's side. Just curious, I don't have the big bucks.

danskbreeder
Jan. 9, 2011, 07:10 PM
I'm not sure but I'll check it out and let you know.

Erica

vineyridge
Jan. 9, 2011, 07:42 PM
Yeah, but DWB just does not have the cachet and automatic recognition and response for jumping horses that Holsteiner does. Dressage maybe--I doubt if anyone would try and sell a dressage horse that was DWB without trumpeting the Danish breeding to the heavens.

But jumping? If you're gonna puff a show jumping horse for a six figure price, a Holsteiner stamp of approval, seems to me, would get people's attention in a hurry.

Equsrider
Jan. 9, 2011, 11:35 PM
I certainly hope not!! I just happen to own one of those Danish WB jumpers, and am proud to say he is Danish By A'Kahn Z out of a mare by A'Dur....some of the BEST Danish Jumper breeding lines around...

I am only sorry he is a gelding, because I would breed for his preformance and jumper conformation any day of the year...

Personally as a H/J person I don't really care what the breed is when purchasing a horse already with a preformance record, as long as they have all the qualities I am specifically looking for...as a private breeder I am much more specific of what Breed I look at for breeding purposes for the ultimate goals of the future foal in my program.They are two seperate schools of thought, which I find confuses most H/J people ...as a 40 year vetern of the H/J world, I never knew much about bloodlines, or even cared for that matter until I started breeding myself, and I find this to be pretty common when purchasing a horse that is already preforming...

as for the 250k horse on the H/J thread, he isn't priced that way because he's mostly Holstiener blood...its due to his preformance record alone.Now I would never buy a horse for that much money, especially a gelding, but if my trainer wants to sell one of mine for that much and can get it....I Likey!

I will have to add that I have seen many Come Back II babies in Denmark, and none of the ones I've seen don't even come close to the one in the video...for a H/J horse...JMHO...

And viney your posts here have been a wealth of information teaching me about breeding lines etc,etc,etcand for that I am very grateful!
Respectively,:)
ER

danskbreeder
Jan. 10, 2011, 01:05 PM
It's a particularly frustrating thing for breeders of Danish Warmbloods. In my experience most H/J people don't look at a pedigree just performance. That's fine, it's my job as a breeder to provide the type of breeding that produces that performance. I get that people have heard more of Holsteiners but the number one Hunter last year, Rhumba, who most people in the H/J world have heard of is a DWB and is listed as such. Rhumba reportedly sold for beaucoup bucks.

danskbreeder
Jan. 10, 2011, 01:07 PM
ER I had an A'Dur mare who I absolutely loved! She was an amazing jumper, beautiful and often made me laugh!

vineyridge
Jan. 10, 2011, 01:35 PM
I guess my point was that most people think of dressage when they see DWB, just as most people think of jumping and Holsteiner. Things like that have the tendency to become self-fulfilling prophecies.

Willemoes is a DWB who is Holsteiner on both sides. He's being touted as a Holsteiner here, not as a DWB qua DWB.