PDA

View Full Version : Tractor Help

ddb
Jan. 9, 2011, 03:13 PM
Please, If anyone could offer suggestions to this problem...

Hubby was out doing some yard maintence with his tractor prior to the last snow (Christmas) and in his rush to complete ran out of diesel fuel:o. He quickly refueled, but ran his battery dead trying to restart. Said tractor sat in that spot until this week when he installed a new battery. This is an old (OLD) Kubota and he has been on the internet (not the best and engine tinkering) researching to try to resolve this problem. Although it does turn over it does not idle, and he has now run the new battery dead. It's recharging, but with the next snow fast approaching I'm a little concerned I will again need to shovel ( it's a long driveway). We are having a real winter here - last snow took a week to melt 16 inches - our area if we see a dusting that's a big deal.

If anyone has been there/ done this, and has any suggestions please forward. It would be so nice to have the tractor to push snow out of the driveway and paddock for turnout.

Equibrit
Jan. 9, 2011, 03:20 PM
You have to bleed the fuel system.
Fill the tank.
Open the fuel cock. (above the filter bowl pointing down)
Open the air vent cock on the fuel pump. (anti-clockwise)
Start the enine and run for 30 seconds, then turn it off.
Close the air vent cock.
Air in line all gone and replaced with fuel!

Ask me how I know.
That should be all that's needed but here's a video if you have to do the lines; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJn2kDnWQPU

Take the opportunity to clean the fuel filter at the same time.

clanter
Jan. 9, 2011, 03:24 PM
It will never start and run unless he bleeds the air out of the fuel lines which takes two people... do a google search for restarting a Kubato that has run out of fuel ...it will give you step-by-step instruuctions

CatOnLap
Jan. 9, 2011, 04:03 PM
not knowing about old Kubotas, but my new JD also has a fuel filter- if you've run the tank dry, its likely you sucked up every bit of dut and debris that was in the tank and clogged the in line filter too, which will need replacing.

ddb
Jan. 9, 2011, 07:11 PM
Thanks for your replies - so far he has cover these bases. Maybe I didn't have enough faith in him as he needed, but Tractor still not running. Can anyone think of anything else?

On a better note the weather report looks better tonight - we may start out as snow/ ice, but they say it should turn to rain. Sorry for those south of us - they look like they will be getting a hard hit.

Equibrit
Jan. 9, 2011, 07:34 PM
Did you check the video ?

ddb
Jan. 9, 2011, 07:47 PM
Did you check the video ?

Yes - I showed him the You tube you sent (thank you) and he had already viewed it. Orange Tractor.com is his site of choice when he has questions about the tractor. Good site - he has learned a lot from there - the manual he receive was not in english:eek:

He said he was going to bleed the lines again tomorrow in case he didn't get all the air out last time. I'm thinking a couple of days above freezing would help too.

Equibrit
Jan. 9, 2011, 08:20 PM
Is the air vent cock closed again?

nashfad
Jan. 9, 2011, 11:27 PM
Make sure the fuel cut-off thing is not stuck half open. Make sure the cut off valve to the engine is open. Bleed bleed bleed. Good luck. And make sure the filters are cleaned out. Maybe not need a new one, just clean it.

ddb
Jan. 16, 2011, 11:27 AM
WoooHooo - It's up and running again:) Thanks everyone who replied with tips! He changed the fuel filter (which you guys suggested) and bled the lines again. Now onto moving the manure pile into the compost pile! Not soon enough - with the snow it was getting closer and closer to the gate.

Thanks Everyone!!!

Dustee
Jan. 16, 2011, 11:59 AM
Diesel fuel has a notorious reputation for geling up in very cold climates. We always add at least a pint of automatic transmission fluid to fuel tank when fueling if it is extremely cold we add a quart. Supposed to help keep injectors clean and help prevent geling. You could use some other type of diesel fuel supplement that will do the same thing and there are several on the market at local truck stops and auto stores.
Even add atf in summer to keep injectios clean.

Hope this helps

Bluey
Jan. 16, 2011, 12:03 PM
All our diesel tractors/dozers have a little hand pump somewhere in the fuel lines you can use to pump the lines full again, like after changing fuel filters.
Takes forever, but it eventually fills the lines back up.

CatOnLap
Jan. 18, 2011, 04:05 PM
WOOT to getting the tractor running! Definitely miller time!