PDA

View Full Version : Dog with Diarrhea

jetandmegs4
Jan. 9, 2011, 02:56 PM
I recently got a 3 year old pointer mix from an animal shelter. We have had her 3 weeks. Over that period, I slowly transitioned her to Wellness Super 5 (the Chicken brand). at any rate, she seemed to be doing great with it. Today, when I got up, she had sometime throughout the night gone to the bathroom downstairs (diarrhea). Typically, she has slept through the night and not required to go out. I didn't even notice she had gotten up. Right when I got up, she went out, and pooped (a little more soft than usual, but not diarrhea). I then went to work, and when my mom came downstairs she had went again (diarrhea). she took her out, and she pooped again. Now (about 3 hours later) she seems to be doing ok. Wondering if perhaps she isn't tolerating the food well after all? We got rice and hamburg to give her. I'm wondering if I should look for another brand of food to transition her too, or if something else might have caused this?

palominomom
Jan. 9, 2011, 02:59 PM
Has she been to the vet? Stool sample tested? could be a number of things.. recommend that if she hasn't been seen by a vet, that you do so as soon as possible.

jetandmegs4
Jan. 9, 2011, 03:01 PM
She was up to date on everything and had a recent stool sample when she came to the shelter in mid-November. I have an appointment with a vet this week to see her.

CHS
Jan. 9, 2011, 03:22 PM
My guess would be coccidia. All dogs have it and their immune system usually keeps it in check. It times of stress it will bring on diahrea/vomiting etc. Do you have any sulfadimethoxine?

jetandmegs4
Jan. 9, 2011, 03:30 PM
I don't. Tomorrow is my day off, so if she is still not doing well tomorrow, I'd be able to take her to the vet if needed. I'm watching her closely, and will certainly take her if anything worsens today.

LauraKY
Jan. 9, 2011, 03:54 PM
We have had several dogs that just had sensitive stomachs and develop diarrhea easily. I'd get a fecal and maybe some bloodwork just to make sure there is nothing going on other than a sensitive stomach.

The first dog we fed veterinary prescription food for several years. Since then, we feed a grain free food. Our foxhound will get loose stools if he gets out and runs. We just give him 1/2 a Pepto Bismal if he gets out and it seems to nip it in the bud.

The first couple of times with the current dog, the vet gave him Flagyl, which did clear it up (but it could have been a combination of that plus chicken and rice.)

tallyho392
Jan. 9, 2011, 06:11 PM
canned pumpkin always helps in this situation......not pumpkin pie filling, just straight,plain, canned pumpkin ......works for cats as well, and most critters just eat it up!a few good spoonfuls a couple times a day certainly will not hurt her, and will give you and her some relief..
good luck, hope she is better soon

PiaffePlease
Jan. 9, 2011, 07:14 PM
canned pumpkin always helps in this situation......not pumpkin pie filling, just straight,plain, canned pumpkin ......works for cats as well, and most critters just eat it up!a few good spoonfuls a couple times a day certainly will not hurt her, and will give you and her some relief..
good luck, hope she is better soon

I agree! I keep this stocked. Its near the pie filling and alot of people use it as pie filling and then add their own sugar, etc. Just make sure to look at the ingredients. The only ingredient will be pumpkin. It always clears up diarrhea.

jetandmegs4
Jan. 10, 2011, 07:56 AM
Thanks for the tips. I will definitely look in to the pumpkin. Last night we fed her rice and hamburg meat (boiled). We did the same this morning, and so far no diarrhea. I am going to discuss this with the vet when we go, and have a fecal/bloodwork done. Also, going to discuss diet going forward. Hoping everything continues to improve.

betsyk
Jan. 10, 2011, 10:50 AM
Did she get into anything nasty at the barn? This has only happened to our dog once or twice over the years but we could trace it back to getting into something nasty by the smell...