PDA

View Full Version : When do you buy a safety vest?

ake987
Jan. 9, 2011, 02:18 PM
I am hoping to start competing this season at BN. The first competition is in May and that is what we are aiming for. There will also be schoolings before then.

Until now, the most adventurous stuff I have done is hunter paced, and I wore a friend's vest because I had never taken my guy out before then, better to be safe than sorry.

I know that there would be ones available for me to borrow, but I rather like the idea of the vest I'm wearing actually fitting ME and not my friend. I think I've just answered my question myself, but I'd still like to hear some veteran input.

Now I am off to lurk vest threads to figure out which may be the best for me (long torso, but 5'2", 115lbs and ..small chested, might as well be a 12 yo boy!) but if you feel like offering a suggestion in here, please don't hold back. :winkgrin:

gldprimr
Jan. 9, 2011, 02:56 PM
If you know you're going to do it, go ahead & get the vest.

You can come off as easily schooling as showing, so...get the vest in advance.

billiebob
Jan. 9, 2011, 03:11 PM
My birthday present from all the regular barn people was a Tipperary safety vest. A lot of the riders at our barn wear theirs every ride, even a 20 minute school on the flat. I think of it the same way as I think of my helmet--there's really no reason not to wear it IMO. Plus my TB gets the winter sillies. I'm quite happy I have my own and don't have to borrow one anymore!

Janet
Jan. 9, 2011, 03:17 PM
SInce you knwo you are going to need to buy one before May, you might as well buy one now!

The rules don't require that they be "approved", but you might want to think about whether that matters to YOU.

The best way to find one that fits is to try on lots of them- either by finding a tack shop that has a wide selection, or by ordering several, keeping one, and returning the others.

ake987
Jan. 9, 2011, 03:36 PM
SInce you knwo you are going to need to buy one before May, you might as well buy one now!

The rules don't require that they be "approved", but you might want to think about whether that matters to YOU.

The best way to find one that fits is to try on lots of them- either by finding a tack shop that has a wide selection, or by ordering several, keeping one, and returning the others.

OR by trying on every one I can at the barn! ;) My barn is essentially a giant trial tackshop, it is WONDERFUL! Everyone shares and let's other put their hands on their things and even test them out. I'm a lowly college student with a self-imposed low CC limit, I would never be able to order more than one vest at a time. =P

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I was right in wanting to just go ahead and buy one now. What do you all personally ride in?

Carolinadreamin'
Jan. 9, 2011, 03:51 PM
Charles Owens.

mg
Jan. 9, 2011, 03:52 PM
The cool thing about vests is that they aren't like helmets in that one fall=time for a new one! Because of this, I bought mine on eBay. I have the Tipperary eventer. I'm 5'4" but mostly legs, so I have a youth size one.

sarah88
Jan. 9, 2011, 06:12 PM
I love my Aeirowear (sp?)

ake987
Jan. 9, 2011, 07:31 PM
The cool thing about vests is that they aren't like helmets in that one fall=time for a new one! Because of this, I bought mine on eBay. I have the Tipperary eventer. I'm 5'4" but mostly legs, so I have a youth size one.

If I want to do recognized events, I can still use the Tipperary Eventer, correct? I know it's not "certified" but that is the one I borrowed, and I think if it were in a better size, I would have loved it. I really didn't notice it during the hunter pace, super flexible & comfy!

faybe
Jan. 9, 2011, 08:30 PM
If I want to do recognized events, I can still use the Tipperary Eventer, correct?

Yes.

I've had my Tipperary for 12 years and love it, but I've had my eye on a Charles Owen for a while. Maybe once school is over and I get my (riding) life back...

Trakehner
Jan. 9, 2011, 08:48 PM
Buy it before you're sitting in the hospital with a flayed chest and a lovely horse shoe shaped bruise wishing you had a vest.

I've got a Tipperary and a nice inflatable vest to go along with my GPA Aero something or other helmet.

The day I put my safety stirrups on is the day my horse spooked, the reins broke and I fell off backwards...and didn't stick in the stirrups. Phew! For once I got lucky.

Get a vest now and wear it.

PletchersMom
Jan. 9, 2011, 09:18 PM
I have had my Casel-Equi vest well over a year now, and use it almost every time I ride. I love, love, love it.
Well worth the $$, IMO. :D

Calvincrowe
Jan. 9, 2011, 10:26 PM
I have a Rodney Powell vest. Got it from Smartpak--they were very helpful in aiding me thru the measuring. I was a "custom" fit, so I got to pick my colors--a very understated chocolate and black combo.

I do not event. I seriously doubt I ever will. I did, however, suffer a terrible fall into a hunter jump and one year later (well, 18 days short) I am still not 100%, but I am back on my horse!!

Get a vest. Wear it. Have fun!

Kementari
Jan. 9, 2011, 10:55 PM
I wear my CO Ultralite every ride. I chose it because I wanted something that met the safety standards, and apparently am not the right shape to fit in most solid-style vests (who knew? It's not as if I have trouble finding shirts that fit!). With the CO, I could custom-order the front and back in different sizes. (You can do this with other vests, too, but at the time it was the only brand I could find at tack shops in my area for which that was an option.)

I'm thinking of replacing it this year (just because it's several years old and the standards have changed - and the vest model itself has been updated - since then), and will almost certainly go with the same vest. I don't even notice it's there when I'm riding.

EmmyTheHemi
Jan. 11, 2011, 04:41 PM
Love my 12yo Tipperary.

Have tried on the Airowear (ok) and the newish Charles Owen (JL-9?) approved vests this year. As with a previous poster, would need different-sized front and back in the CO, so it would be "custom." But the adjusted CO did fit more comfortably than the Airowear or various Rodney Powells I've tried in the past. Not convinced I want to retire the Tipp yet....

rivenoak
Jan. 11, 2011, 05:24 PM
Now. ;)

DS and I each have a FlexRider. Beta certified (or whatever).
I'm 5'5", a lot heavier and bustier than you, and short-torso. I wish the tailbone piece were longer; it zips on, so maybe I can order one.

I previously had a Tipperary, but shipped it off to be sold.

I wear mine XC schooling and sometimes on trail rides.

He will wear his whenever he gets on a horse, once he starts going for more than a pony ride led by me on foot.

I should wear mine more, but...

I sewed a patch on the back of mine to customize it. Matches the patch I sewed on my skull cap cover. Maybe I'll post a picture later. The patches amuse the heck out of me.

ake987
Jan. 11, 2011, 06:12 PM
Now. ;)

DS and I each have a FlexRider. Beta certified (or whatever).
I'm 5'5", a lot heavier and bustier than you, and short-torso. I wish the tailbone piece were longer; it zips on, so maybe I can order one.

I previously had a Tipperary, but shipped it off to be sold.

I wear mine XC schooling and sometimes on trail rides.

He will wear his whenever he gets on a horse, once he starts going for more than a pony ride led by me on foot.

I should wear mine more, but...

I sewed a patch on the back of mine to customize it. Matches the patch I sewed on my skull cap cover. Maybe I'll post a picture later. The patches amuse the heck out of me.

How about you post a picture... NOW?! >:O

..please?

If you have a short torso and are wishing the tailbone piece were longer, I'd be willing to bet it won't be anywhere near long enough for me. I think I'm leaning towards the Tipperary Eventer!

quietann
Jan. 11, 2011, 07:57 PM
A lot of XC schooling places require a safety vest, so you'll need it before you head out to compete. So, buy now. (I have an Airowear, and while I don't jump anymore, I do sometimes wear it when I might be getting into a questionable situation with my horse... It is heavy and difficult to put on, but once it's on I forget it's there.)

fordtraktor
Jan. 11, 2011, 08:35 PM
I don't event but asked my husband to buy me a Tipperary Eventer vest for my Christmas present. I ride and jump my naughty green horse at home, alone. One day I just thought to myself -- why the he#* not wear a vest? So now I do.

The Tipp is very comfortable, I barely notice it. If it saves me one broken rib in the next 40 years, it will be effort well spent.

So go get a vest, preferably a comfortable one, and wear it. Why the he*# not? :)

rivenoak
Jan. 11, 2011, 09:01 PM
How about you post a picture... NOW?! >:O

Helmet and vest are at the ranch. I'll stick my camera in my bag to take out tonight & will try to remember to snap a pic.

The thing is, the torso of the FlexRider fits perfectly, comes to about the top of my hip bones. It doesn't interfere w/ my waist, bending, etc. But maybe it's my ghetto booty taking up too much room & that's why the tail piece feels too short.

paintmare
Jan. 12, 2011, 02:08 AM
I use the Airowear Outlyne, love it.

Comes in many sizes, very customizable.

http://www.amirashop.co.uk/acatalog/AiroWear_-_Outline_Body_Protector.html

Got mine from them, even with shipping it was cheaper than anywhere else. Arrived in a timely manner.

rivenoak
Jan. 13, 2011, 02:05 AM
Apologies for the delay!

Cheap customization:

http://picasaweb.google.com/duddlesworth/Helmetvest?authkey=Gv1sRgCLjgm63wtoSgwAE&feat=directlink

EventingJ
Jan. 13, 2011, 03:49 AM
Apologies for the delay!

Cheap customization:

http://picasaweb.google.com/duddlesworth/Helmetvest?authkey=Gv1sRgCLjgm63wtoSgwAE&feat=directlink

OMGiH. What a great idea that is... thank you!