PDA

View Full Version : digging post holes in the winter

onelove
Jan. 9, 2011, 09:47 AM
So I looked at a property yesterday that I like a lot but there is no fencing. I really dont want to have to wait until Spring to put it in if someone knows of a way to dig the post holes in the middle of a Pennsylvania winter....

gothedistance
Jan. 9, 2011, 10:01 AM
Hire someone that uses the machine that pounds posts into the ground, rather than digging holes. Fast, easy. And the posts aren't inclined to lean due to disturbed ground.

crosscreeksh
Jan. 9, 2011, 08:12 PM
Having them pounded is a good way. Another way we used in upstate NY was to hire the local highway sign company to dig them with a high powered auger. To save money you need to have your lines marked as well as the location of each hole. Draw a tight contractor's string from each corner post location, then make a lightweight stick cut to the exact distance the posts are spaced and get a can of spray paint - white works on grass or dirt - and mark each spot with a zit of paint. Those post drilling or pounding contractors ususally charge from their door and return to their door, so you don't want to waste time and money marking post holes while they are charging you!!!