PDA

View Full Version : Spin off-who is hoping to do their first FEI this year?

PuraVidaEventing
Jan. 8, 2011, 07:26 PM
Yup...
anyone hoping (I'm not even gonna say planning because for me at least right now it's just a realistic hope haha) to do their first FEI this year?

I would absolutely love/it's my ultimate goal for this year to do a 1 star on my lease horse :)

yellowbritches
Jan. 8, 2011, 08:09 PM
Start getting your papers in order now, then!!! ;)

I attempted to do my first this past year (eliminated. Bad riding. Sad.). Don't think I'll be getting a chance at a do over this year since I'm selling my prelim horse and won't be replacing him with a prelim horse. Oh well. :no:

Advice: know the FEI rules and don't be afraid to ask LOTS of questions to the officials if you have any...even if you think they are totally silly! They rather you ask then have to eliminate you because you didn't ask!

PuraVidaEventing
Jan. 8, 2011, 10:28 PM
Aw that's too bad about Vernon (yes I've been stalking you so I know the whole story:o )
But I *think* I know a lot of the FEI rules...I've groomed for BNR's at FEI shows so I at least know the obvious ones haha.
And my trainer is a 3* riding so I'm hoping she knows what she's doing!
But I can guarantee I'll be asking a lottttt of questions anyways! haha!

Blugal
Jan. 8, 2011, 11:05 PM
Also a good idea to read the FEI rulebook. The FEI is neither logical nor consistent (internally or with USEF/Equine Canada rules).

Actually, I am planning on reading the darn thing again this spring, along with USEF eventing rules to prepare for a return to eventing in the States after a 3-year hiatus.

If anybody wants to "buddy up" on this, maybe exchange commentary or little quiz questions, let me know. (Or we could just do it on this thread...?)

I'll start:
If you are Canadian and a member of Equine Canada
If you want to enter a foreign CCI, you must:

1) Read the Regulations and Qualification Criteria document (http://equinecanada.ca/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_view&gid=3611&Itemid=365&lang=en) (Note: this link is for the 2010 document).

2) Get your FEI passport (http://www.equinecanada.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=825&Itemid=223&lang=en) in order ASAP - both completed AND validated. If you are thinking of doing a CCI this year, you should be looking after the passport issue TODAY.

3) Notify Equine Canada by submitting a Declaration to Compete form (http://equinecanada.ca/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=200&Itemid=365&lang=en-GB) by January 11 (for competitions occurring on or before August 31, 2011) or June 3 (for competitions occurring on or after September 1, 2011). NOTE: earlier deadlines and special instructions may be required for CCIs in Britain.

4) Send a completed copy of your entry form and Certificate of Qualification (http://equinecanada.ca/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=200&Itemid=365&lang=en-GB) ON OR BEFORE the opening date of the CCI to Equine Canada.

5) Apply for FEI rider and horse registration numbers (http://equinecanada.ca/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=200&Itemid=365&lang=en-GB).

6) Make sure you complete your qualifying competitions no less than 24 days before the cross country test of the event for which it is needed.

7) Pay for FEI and horse numbers if not already done (in the past this has been billed to me AFTER the CCI)

The process is somewhat simpler for CICs, and it is described in the Regulations and Qualification document in #1 above.

yellowbritches
Jan. 8, 2011, 11:28 PM
The above is true as well (or most true) if you are in the US and plan on competing in Canada (I know lots of people who go to Bromont for their one star). Do your due diligence and make sure ALL your paperwork is in order. Having a coach that's been there, done that is good, but it seems like the rules and qualifications change so frequently that you shouldn't count on them for your info!!! I know my coach, who's been around the block a few times, needed to read and re-read all the qualifications and rules with me, and we chatted with our (FEI) vets several times to be sure we were clear on everything...and still asked questions once we got there! I was panic stricken about clipping Vernon because he needs serious sedation to do it! Thank God for good vets who are on top of things!

I was surprised at how quickly my paperwork got in order, but I was panic stricken until it was in my hands and I would never ever count on it happening that fast.

I think it's funny that I'm being stalked!!! :lol::lol: Just a reminder for me to keep up with my blog better! ;)

Blugal
Jan. 8, 2011, 11:47 PM
I was surprised at how quickly my paperwork got in order, but I was panic stricken until it was in my hands and I would never ever count on it happening that fast.

NEVER EVER... At my first FEI comp (a CIC), my passport arrived by courier on Saturday XC day :o

I didn't have a clue - I had given my horse his spring vaccinations myself, and did not write down the batch numbers**(see note)

My passport was rejected. I had to get the vet involved. Equine Canada was as slow as molasses, and unhelpful to boot (standard operating procedure).

Very lucky for me, as I had driven 15 hours and paid all the hefty fees etc. The amazing organizers & FEI vets worked with me (in hindsight, I was VERY lucky on that front too!) as by rights they should have refused to allow me to do the CIC dressage test. If my passport hadn't arrived on Saturday I would have been eliminated.

There were several others at that event who arrived even more clueless than I - they didn't realize they needed FEI passports! They were re-routed to the regular Prelim division - not bad but for the 15 hour trailer ride!

**Note: FOR THE RECORD, this is not how it's done!! Get your VET to give all shots and record the batch numbers (even if your passport is in the mail) then have the vet record them in the passport and sign AND stamp it. I always remind the vet to bring the stamp. Make sure you have your primary/secondary shots done correctly and that your shots are updated properly - some must be done within 6 months, every 6 months. Do not trust your local vet to know these rules, or the rules for filling out the horse markings - look them up yourself.

Blugal
Jan. 8, 2011, 11:51 PM
Another note on filling in horse markings: if your horse acquires additional markings (e.g. grown-in white patches from a blanket rub :mad:) you must update your horse's markings and then get the passport re-validated. It's a pain but far better than being eliminated at the in-barns or some such...

PuraVidaEventing
Jan. 9, 2011, 01:15 AM
okay! So, I'll start getting papers ready now! lol! I would probably have a heart attack from the stress if anything like that happens to me...
And also I will start reading the FEI rulebook...like tonight maybe? lol...
My trainer hasn't done an FEI in a year? I wanna say so yes I will be asking lots and lots of questions of officials/COTH "experts" :D
1 thing I AM sure of is that apparently the vet my trainer uses (I'm new in the area, moved there to work for her!) is basically an FEI expert. So fingers crossed knock on wood every other superstition out there, but I'm hoping I'll be safe on that front.
We should definitely have some sort of COTH study group/quiz on this thread over the FEI rulebook :)

Trak_Eventer
Jan. 9, 2011, 11:55 AM
Me, me, me!! I am aiming to do the 1* at Chatt Hills in October! :D Need to start getting everything in order!

ThirdCharm
Jan. 9, 2011, 12:07 PM
Ugh! Better start getting papers in order then.... I'm planning on doing the 1* at VA at the end of the spring season before I start looking for Intermediate move-ups! And I usually give my own shots--I did know that the vet had to do them for FEI... but didn't know about putting all that in the passport! Bleah.

Jennifer

Blugal
Jan. 11, 2011, 07:30 PM
Just a reminder that for Canadians, Declarations for ALL CCIs before Sep. 1 are due today :-)

Zoomd
Apr. 8, 2011, 09:59 PM
Hoping to do the VA CCI* this Spring.... and going there instead of my college graduation!!

I would love information on xc day, as I haven't done any FEI events yet.

ThirdCharm
Apr. 9, 2011, 06:44 AM
Per my other thread, I changed my plan from the CCI* to the Prelim 3day, once I realized that it's not only just a extra-long ht and therefore meaningless to my horse's education, it's not good for anything extra qualification wise (unless you're a YR maybe) either.... guess I won't be doing so much paperwork at least!

Jennifer

three_dayer
Apr. 9, 2011, 05:22 PM
I am hoping to go to my first FEI competition in july. I haven't ridden in one since the year 2000. I have helped out at a lot as a groom/ vet box helper, but a lot has changed since I rode in one(long format). I do know that you need to have a vet do all your shots and that you need to have a flu shot within two months of each other for the initial fei passport. I am very glad that I have a grey horse, it is a lot easier to deal with markings. The earlier you get it done the easier it is to fix mistakes and such...also if you have a vet that does a lot of passports, it makes life a lot simpler. Don't we all just love paperwork?

faybe
Apr. 9, 2011, 10:52 PM
DH's horse's passport just came in the mail this week! Shooting for Jersey CIC** this spring and Fair Hill CCI** this fall. Keep your fingers crossed for them- it's grey beast's first, DH's first since the short format came along.