PDA

View Full Version : Truck Camper and BP trailer Versus Living Quarters trailer???

Equistar
Jan. 8, 2011, 10:24 AM
I am buying a new horse trailer and was looking at opinions........
Choice A: New three horse goose neck horse trailer with with 8’ living quarters
Choice B: New three horse bumper pull trailer and a good used 8’ camper for the truck.
My truck is set up for either option.
Choice B is easier on the pocket book, but I am worried that is will be harder to use and drive and I will regret not going with the living quarters trailer.
So those of you that have experience with both what would you recommend?

katyb
Jan. 8, 2011, 10:29 AM
I don't have experience, but I'm shopping for a truck camper now. We also have boats and atvs, so the truck camper will be more useful for us, and I already have a BP trailer. My trimmer has this set-up, and she loves it. She has the pop-up type of truck camper, which she says is easier to haul.

I have an F350 crew cab long bed dually, so hauling it all is no issue.

fivehorses
Jan. 8, 2011, 10:44 AM
For the length of a BP bumper pull 3 horse, I would prefer gooseneck.
GN's are safer.
So, I would go with the gn with living quarters...on safety reasons alone.

Guilherme
Jan. 8, 2011, 12:28 PM
I've only driven a truck with a camper once. It was a very different experience. The CG is higher and you can really feel it. I didn't like it.

I'm also not a fan of bumper pull trailers under any set of circumstances. The gooseneck is orders of magnitude easier to drive.

So I'd go with the LQ trailer.

G.

MeghanDACVA
Jan. 8, 2011, 01:40 PM
Ditto Fivehorses. Besides, then you have the bed of the truck to use, with or without the trailer attached.

We bought a LQ trailer a few yrs ago after decades of just a dressing room. I absolutely live it. If we were to ever loose the farm for some reason, I can live in the LQ ;-)

splash gordon
Jan. 8, 2011, 04:06 PM
hi,

i understand the punch to the pocketbook concern :) we have had 2 bumper pulls and we did fine for little day trips putting stuff in the back of the truck or in the manger area of the bumper pull. however, we just recently got a 3 horse gooseneck with 4 ft of living space. yes, it was expensive, but worth every cent. it is so much nicer to tow, and the horses tow much more happily. i love having a spot to shower off real quick, put things in the fridge to keep cook, use my private, clean toilet!!! little things mean a lot especially on hot days. i paid extra to have an awning put on it and to have ac and heat added to the living quarters. currently i have to use a generator to run that which is a hassle. however, northern tool sells a solar panel kit that can run all of that stuff. i am going to have that installed in the spring. bye bye generator : ) so, if you can afford to go with the gooseneck with living quarters. you and your horses will get a lot out of it!

pony grandma
Jan. 8, 2011, 05:01 PM
wow a solar panel kit! A lot quieter than a generator. We also have a marine battery mounted under the GN to save the truck battery drain just to use the lights a bit w/out a hook-up.

Best thing we ever did was buy the 4H GN w/weekender pkg trailer!! A dream to pull (we live in hilly, curvy country), horses ride easy and A#1 is the yr round storage!! All the stuff stays in the camper, show clothes, the second sets of supplies (grooming, buckets, totes, toiletries etc -- all ready to go) we even use the floor for extra grain storage in the winter (rodent free). Gramps has NEVER had a moment of regret over the cost. The trailer is 13 yrs old and looks like new.

I wouldn't enjoy driving a top heavy camper on a pick-up, esp pulling a BP trailer loaded w/ live wgt. Not on our roads!! We need our truckbed for daily chores and removing the camper would be a hassle.

Guilherme
Jan. 8, 2011, 05:20 PM
Solar panels are useful for keeping a "topping charge" on a battery and maybe a 12v. light or two. But unless you have a full-roof array you're not going to get much more than that. They will certainly NOT power an air conditioner or microwave. ;)

If you don't have an installed generator consider a pair of the Honda EU2000 gensets. They can be hooked in parallel to give 4000 watts (more than enough to run an A/C and most other stuff in a trailer, although not all at once). They are light weight (under 75 lbs. with fuel, meaning that most women can handle them). With an extended run fuel tank they can easily go 12 hours under most circumstances. They are also about the quietest generators on the market. Be aware that quality does not come cheap. :)

G.

wildlifer
Jan. 8, 2011, 05:35 PM
The solar panels charge the batteries and the batteries can power plenty in a trailer -- with that setup, you can run lights, TV, computer all at once and still be fine in the evenings, then the panels recharge your batt. the next day. My SO builds solar panels -- you wouldn't believe the advances they have made!

NoDQhere
Jan. 8, 2011, 05:38 PM
At one time we had a pickup camper and two horse trailer. It was awful in the wind and a PITA to back up :)

We have a GN now and I would never go back to a BP. With the camper on, your truck is useless for anything else and putting a camper on and off is not easy,

Guilherme
Jan. 8, 2011, 05:55 PM
The solar panels charge the batteries and the batteries can power plenty in a trailer -- with that setup, you can run lights, TV, computer all at once and still be fine in the evenings, then the panels recharge your batt. the next day. My SO builds solar panels -- you wouldn't believe the advances they have made!

We can run our fridge, a radio, a few lights, and charge our cell phones from the coach batteries. But no way, no how can you run an A/C or microwave. Or even our Incinolet.

I understand in the seven-figured world of luxury motor homes there are inverter systems that can power heavy loads from the massive batteries they can haul. But you can't keep batteries like that up with the solar cells you can put on a roof.

I'll agree that we've seen progress in solar cell technology, but it's less than the hype that sometimes floats about.

G.

My Two Cents
Jan. 8, 2011, 06:25 PM
We have an 6 foot truck camper that cranks down so there's not a lot of wind resistance. When we are hooked onto our 16 foot bumper hitch you hardly know it's there. Hooking up can be challanging because you can't see very well. We slant load our horses so there is still room in the front of the trailer for saddles, feed, etc for a weekend trip. We like it because it offers versatility as far as camping goes but it would also be really nice to have a private shower/bathroom that most living quarter trailers have that we don't have. (There are some camper models that have them but not ours). We can put a curtain across the front section of the trailer to make it into a portable shower/bath area if we ever need to "rough it". I guess it's mostly a toss up depending if you always take your horses or if you would use the camper otherwise. I know a lot of people like the goosenecks but a bumper hitch works fine for me.

katarine
Jan. 8, 2011, 08:17 PM
The LQ.

We camp a fair bit and it's easy peasy to unhook and run to town for beer with the LQ vs camping in a truck camper plugged in and hooked up.... I mean run to town for green beans, yeah, green beans, that's the ticket.

Those truck campers are cool but a trick to get under and get attached- not a quick and easy drop at a moment's notice.

I had a 3H BP for a few years and was so thrilled to upgrade to a GN with tiny 4' shortwall LQ. I'll never tow a BP again.

katyb
Jan. 8, 2011, 08:17 PM
I'm the oddball who prefers a bumper pull. My first horse trailer was a gooseneck, and I hated it. I hate, hate, hate crawling in the truck bed to hitch up. I knocked the back window out of our truck with the front of the gooseneck - it just never felt natural to me. I love my bumper pull - it's a 16' stock combo and tows great.

MunchkinsMom
Jan. 9, 2011, 12:03 AM
My vote goes for the gooseneck with the LQ.

Wayside
Jan. 9, 2011, 12:54 AM
The gooseneck is orders of magnitude easier to drive.

So I'd go with the LQ trailer.

Same here.

I'd much rather drive a gooseneck, and I'd rather have the bed of the truck available when I'm not towing.

deltawave
Jan. 9, 2011, 09:46 AM
If those are the only options I'd go with the LQ. But doing the math, I can stay in hotels 6-8 times a year, have glorious hot showers and a real bed and toilet, and no maintenance for about the same cost. :)

I hate campers. :dead: :)

gothedistance
Jan. 9, 2011, 10:02 AM
For the length of a BP bumper pull 3 horse, I would prefer gooseneck.
GN's are safer.
So, I would go with the gn with living quarters...on safety reasons alone.

Ditto. And on convenience, too. Can't beat an LQ.

gothedistance
Jan. 9, 2011, 10:09 AM
Solar panels are useful for keeping a "topping charge" on a battery and maybe a 12v. light or two. But unless you have a full-roof array you're not going to get much more than that. They will certainly NOT power an air conditioner or microwave. ;)

If you don't have an installed generator consider a pair of the Honda EU2000 gensets. They can be hooked in parallel to give 4000 watts (more than enough to run an A/C and most other stuff in a trailer, although not all at once). They are light weight (under 75 lbs. with fuel, meaning that most women can handle them). With an extended run fuel tank they can easily go 12 hours under most circumstances. They are also about the quietest generators on the market. Be aware that quality does not come cheap. :)

G.

^ True. I have a portable Honda 2000U, and solar panels. Totally love it. I use the trailer solar/battery for 99% of lights, TV, computer, DVD player, etc. I use the generator for electric heat/air if needed. Propane for gas heat and cooking.

2DogsFarm
Jan. 9, 2011, 04:02 PM
How much camping will you be doing?

I got a Steal of a Deal on an F250 & SW LQ trailer and traded the trailer in for a GN w/DR.
LQ had all the bells & whistles: microwave, oven decent-size fridge, shower & tub, but.....
For me it was like towing Barbie's Dreamhouse every time I need to move horses.
Not to mention having to maintain the LQ systems : P

For me the DR makes much more sense. It has enough room for me to setup a chair, I hang a battery camper lantern for a reading light and with a cooler I am comfy for a weekend.
The tradeoff of having to use a campground bath/toilet facility is worth it to me.

I was a former BP owner (for 16 years) and the GN is easier for me to handle.
Just get yourself some kneepads & a small stepladder for hitching.

MunchkinsMom
Jan. 9, 2011, 05:58 PM
If those are the only options I'd go with the LQ. But doing the math, I can stay in hotels 6-8 times a year, have glorious hot showers and a real bed and toilet, and no maintenance for about the same cost. :)

I hate campers. :dead: :)

That's what my DH said also, when I was trying to convince him to help me purchase a trailer with LQ, with the arguement that we could use it for non-horse related camping also. He said for the amount of shows I was going to, that 30K would pay for some really nice hotel rooms for many, many years. He was right. I have a 2 horse BP with dressing room, and that is all I need.

If I were hauling every single weekend, gone for weeks at a stretch, then yes, I would bite the bullet and get the LQ trailer.

katyb
Jan. 9, 2011, 07:00 PM
I was going with that philosophy. Then I stayed in a very nice cabin - with BED BUGS. That's why I want my own place.

suz
Jan. 9, 2011, 07:30 PM
i'd prefer a lq trailer as well. right now my buddy and i each drive a vehicle. she pulls our little camper and i haul the horses.
we look forward to upgrading to one large trailer with lq.
for us though, we each need a decent bed, we're sure tired of tiny little bunkbeds! lq with slideouts will be the solution for us.