PDA

View Full Version : Dressage Riot Police

SBrentnall
Jan. 8, 2011, 01:17 AM
Apparently, even the riot police in Sweden ride dressage! They're in full-seat breeches, dressage saddles and double bridles.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7507975@N07/4659032601/

rizzodm
Jan. 8, 2011, 03:02 AM
They look ready for battle! Did you see the dressage whip? It must double as a batton. The mounted police around here have fuzy horses and do not look so fierce.
This pic made me think of the crew on Elf that was out to get Santa in Central Park.

Dawn

SBrentnall
Jan. 8, 2011, 04:14 AM
Can you imagine going into battle carrying a baton and STILL managing to keep your horse round?!

Lieslot
Jan. 8, 2011, 09:01 AM
Nice picture : http://www.flickr.com/photos/7507975@N07/4659650616/in/photostream/
I wonder what the white rope is for, they all seem to wear it.
I wonder what breed, swedish warmbloods you'd think.

naturalequus
Jan. 8, 2011, 09:44 AM
SBrentnall, well at that point hopefully collection is sufficiently and naturally developed to the point that it takes little effort on the rider`s part to keep the horse round (as it should be to an extent throughout the horse`s training)!! If collection is developed as a natural progression, the horse has learnt to do it on its own, the rider is merely guiding.

As for the white rope, wouldn`t it be to tie the horses if necessary...that is similar to what we`ve always done when riding english and thus not having a horn on which to tie our leads.

rizzodm
Jan. 8, 2011, 10:28 AM
The white rope is to hang the guilty on the spot, saves the judicial system lots of money;)

Dawn

Lieslot
Jan. 8, 2011, 10:35 AM
The white rope is to hang the guilty on the spot, saves the judicial system lots of money;)

:lol: :lol:, yes, that has got to be it, makes total sense :D.

tempichange
Jan. 8, 2011, 03:32 PM
The double bridle and the white rope is based on traditional cavalry turnout.

Calhoun
Jan. 8, 2011, 04:25 PM
It looks like her badge is on her helmet. Cool photos, thanks for sharing.

SisterToSoreFoot
Jan. 10, 2011, 11:01 AM
Wow. I scrolled through the whole gallery. They are totally dressagy-cops, right down to the breeches (as mentioned), the occasional drop noseband, the boots, the saddles, stirrups and the horses! What lovely horses. God Bless US mounted police horses, but they are a rough group compared to these lovely animals. Love the face on this one. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/7507975@N07/4659037903/in/photostream/)

Megaladon
Jan. 10, 2011, 11:50 AM
They look ready for battle! Did you see the dressage whip? It must double as a batton.Dawn

My thoughts exactly! :lol:

Neat how the horses also have face shields.

Dressage_Julie
Jan. 10, 2011, 11:51 AM
Those might be the nicest police horses I have ever seen! I always feel bad for the Chicago mounted police horses- mostly big guys riding tiny TB's...

Bluey
Jan. 10, 2011, 12:04 PM
That white rope is a lead rope you use when you tie horses somewhere, unlike western riders that drape split reins over the hitching rail.
In the military, if you tie a horse and he gets loose, you get set down to stable duty for a week, it is a serious offense.
You learn to tie all kinds of knots and pay very good attention when you tie a horse somewhere.

The master instructor in our riding school was a retired military officer and I was permitted to go with the military police troups when they were riding outside.
The training was intensive, some places going down steep hills that seemed death defying descents, horses just sliding on their butts, teethering and about to tip over and roll all the way to the bottom.

That rope also served to pony any horse back to the barracs, when it's rider was incapacitated.

You tie that in a special way, so it is easy to unravel, but won't unravel on it's own.

We didn't use double bridles, but a kind of military curb that some only had one ring at the bottom of the shanks, some had a second one by the mouth piece, like a pelham.

Those riders there look very, very nice.:cool:

It is understandably that we need police, a shame they need to be so protected from the crazies in the public as those are.:(

Ibex
Jan. 10, 2011, 12:32 PM
Holy crap... I never realized just how "Swedish" my SWB mare is... she looks like that crew's long lost cousin...! (Right down to the ginormous feet...)

Bats79
Jan. 12, 2011, 06:02 AM
At one stage the Mounted Police in Victoria had an extensive breeding program. Our Holsteiner stallions bred to approximately 20 police mares over the years. They had a strict colour program - no chestnuts - and we had an agreement with the to exchange the chestnuts for greys. The grey in this photo was one we bred and exchanged (I think for a grey filly that was frightened by gun fire!)

http://diamond-valley-leader.whereilive.com.au/news/story/fond-farewell-for-mounted-police-legend-in-greensborough/