PDA

View Full Version : Speak to me of Cotner Trailers

Bayou Roux
Jan. 7, 2011, 10:43 PM
Yes, it's time to start the small (1-2) horse trailer journey, and, unfortunately, a Brenderup isn't in the budget just now.

So, yep, we're little-horse, little-trailer, little-tow vehicle peeps.

We've come across a local dealer of Cotner trailers, and are curious to hear what experienced CoTHers have to say about them.

TIA for your input!

jollytrak
Jan. 7, 2011, 10:54 PM
i use to have an '82 model, two horse/dressing room, steel frame -- best damn trailer i've ever pulled! was kept inside and finally sold it in 2007 - people couldn't believe it was that old :lol:

not sure how they're made today... but there are many times i miss that trailer!

TKR
Jan. 8, 2011, 09:03 PM
I knew a lady that sold them and someone else who used them, but they both went in another direction because they didn't hold up well. I didn't like the Merhows around here for the same reason.
PennyG

Lieslot
Jan. 8, 2011, 09:44 PM
You mean these : http://www.cotnertrailers.com/
We bought one from them direct in 2005, we live only 20 minutes away from Revere PA. We have been very happy with it. They did a custommade because we had to fit the two 18hh+ WBs in there and we wanted a front unload sideramp, because one horse doesn't like to back off.
They did a wonderful job, very pleased. They are also very good about servicing their trailers, we take our one back yearly for a check-up.
Their pricing is VERY reasonable.

SPF10
Jan. 9, 2011, 06:42 AM
LOVE MINE, 2 hbp with front side ramp, dressing room, corner watertank. Ordered it brand new from the dealer who even delivered it to my house (1 1/2 hours away) when it arrived. A friend who usually tows a 4h gooseneck, recently borrowed it and commented on how well it tows compared to other
2 hbp she has used.

SonnysMom
Jan. 9, 2011, 11:53 AM
I had a 1974 Cotner that I had until 2001. I saw it 2 years later at a horse show still going strong. It was a tank of a 2H bumper pull- extra high/extra wide. Horses loved loading into it, hauled well in it. That said I believe ownership changed back in the late 90's so I don't know if that effected the quality.
I looked at them at an expo in 2000, after the ownership change. They appear to be nicely made, safe designs for a good price. My husband crawled all over it looking at welds etc... He has down car restoration so is pretty mechanically inclined.

I was going to order one but a one year old barely used Trail-et came up for a steal of a deal price so went that route instead.

AA Hunter
Jan. 9, 2011, 12:24 PM
I've had a basic bumper-pull Cotner for about 10 years and am very happy with it. It's light, durable, pulls well, and has been trouble-free (despite living outdoors 24/7). I bought it from the original owners but the quality is equallyl high with the current owners. I live near Revere and have returned many times over the years for inspection--they are very pleasant to deal with and costs are very reasonable.

skyy
Jan. 11, 2011, 05:02 PM
I've got a '99 2 horse straight load goose neck with a dressing room that I really like. It lives "out" and has held up well in the weather. I've never had any problems with it structurally or electrically. I take it back to Cotner every year for inspection and as others have said, they are really nice and easy to deal with. This past inspection, I decided to change out the "innards" and had them replace the solid wood center partition and chain butt bar for a padded steel open partition and padded steel butt bars. I was very pleased with what they did and quite surprised at how (relatively) little it cost to have it done.

Drive NJ
Jan. 13, 2011, 09:53 AM
We got a Cotner when we finally decided to get a trailer big enough to carry the carriage INSIDE with the 2 big boyz DraftX
Pete at Cotner worked with us to figure out a design and keep it safe
We can drop the center post to roll in or out the carriage and raise & lock it to support the chest bars and cross ties
Cotner is a reasonable price and gives good service when/if needed

They have been around forever and took over a lot of the Hartman stuff when Hartman closed and Cotner became a brand

justdandy
Jan. 13, 2011, 10:01 AM
I'm on my second Cotner and I love it!!! The first was a 1996 2-horse BP with dressing room. I had it for about 7 years and never had a problem with it. I wanted to "upgrade" to a GN so we sold the BP to buy my current Cotner, which is a 2-horse GN with dressing room. It's awesome! If I do another "upgrade" I'll go with another Cotner.:winkgrin::yes:

Callaway
Jan. 14, 2011, 01:56 PM
I live right up the road from Cotner! Although I personally own a Brenderup, I think they make very good trailers. Many of my clients own Cotners.