PDA

View Full Version : Eventers... Where to eat in Aiken?

Eventer08
Jan. 7, 2011, 06:52 PM
When you're wintering in the south in Aiken, where are the best places to eat after you're done in the barn??????

Catie79
Jan. 7, 2011, 07:01 PM
Taco Sushi! Mexican and sushi in the same restaurant, the steak tacos last year were just amazing, and the sushi rolls were huge.

Threedaydream
Jan. 7, 2011, 07:07 PM
I was totally going to suggest takosushi!!

Catie79
Jan. 7, 2011, 07:18 PM
Oh, does anyone remember the name of the brewery where all the beers are named for horses? Right near Hotel Aiken. Good bar food, and I liked the Thoroughbred Red.

scubed
Jan. 7, 2011, 07:38 PM
Aiken Brewing Co. I love that place too. I haven't been since 2007, but I also really like Up Your Alley, Davor's or Malia for a fancier night and now they have some of the standards like Panera, which are nice to just grab soup and use Wi-fi.

Breakfast and lunch at New Moon Cafe.
Is there a new restaurant in the Hotel Aiken? 100 Laurens? Anyone have thoughts about that. I liked the prior 2 or 3 restaurants there, but apparently they don't last long

baysngreys
Jan. 7, 2011, 08:02 PM
New restaurant in The Alley called Soiree, next door to Davors.
Tapas, great drinks - Chocolate Martinis are VERY addictive ;) They have a fun room with sofas great for drinking wine with friends.

Atlanta Bread Company on Whiskey Road, near Walmart has wifi, fireplace is nice when it's chilly out.

New Moon has great soups and coffee.

Really, just park downtown, lots of choice!

*Trinity*
Jan. 7, 2011, 09:46 PM
Tako Sushi, hands down! I also love Atlanta Bread - best white pizza you'll ever have.

TXnGA
Jan. 7, 2011, 09:53 PM
Good Food.... hmmm...

Fajitas mexican off of richland on the way down town. I like the food, service, and location better than marias. But Maria's has the laundry mat next door. I think I drag my husband there once every few weeks or so- but if you are from TX, definitely doesn't compare to Texas mexican food.

Pat's which has fantastic stick to your ribs southern food. Never had a bad meal -except for the salad (don't expect anything fancy) but the hamburger steak is awesome on the cold/ wet days when you need something to warm you up. Pat's also becomes a martini bar at night.

Rio Blanco ( I think that is the name) it is on the main road in aiken a few shops down from the Aiken Brewery. Has great fantastic Cuban food. The brewery is good food, but a lot of it is fried.

Also the Bowery has good food, it is down the alley in downtown. I'm not a fan of tacosushi, just never got into the whole sushi/ mexican thing because it is not really either just a combo meshed together and very "new ageish" in my mind....

A more sophisticated night would be at the Wilcox, Malias, and Oliva's. But I was not impressed with Oliva's food for the prices. Also there is a fantastic steak house down town (Chop?). At the intersection of Richland and Laurens.

There is a new deli that opened up downtown too, can't recall the name, but definitely incorporates a lot of "yankee" sandwhiches... i'm only teasing about the yankee comment :winkgrin:. It is a few shops down from 100 laurens.

If you are looking for a great equine artsy shop- Equine divine is downtown and great place to at least walk through.
And ladies if you need to get your hair "did" while down here for the winter, there is a small hair gallery down the alley called gallery j, which is a great place to get your hair cut or highlighted.

It is Atlanta Bread at Whiskey and Pine Log.

For a night out, there is 100 laurens, and the tiki hut behind the aiken hotel. Or you can cross the river into augusta and go to the country bar?

Oh, if you are a pizza fanatic (like me) the best pizza and breadsticks are at Russell's pizza in Williston and I think they have locations in Wagner and Blackville too.

CapturinYerRide
Jan. 7, 2011, 09:59 PM
City Billiards isn't so bad... Then of course, I am usually just as happy sitting at the bar at O'Charley's for a cedar-salmon and a glass of wine..

CookiePony
Jan. 7, 2011, 10:10 PM
Travinia: it's a chain but probably the best Italian chain I've ever been to.
And if you want non-chain, casual, homemade pizza and pasta, there is the Acropolis west of town.
Has anyone mentioned Teresa's Mexican yet?

cranky
Jan. 7, 2011, 10:26 PM
Agree with Tako/Sushi -- I think it's my fave! That and the Aiken Brewery.

RiverBendPol
Jan. 7, 2011, 10:30 PM
Tako-sushi is way expensive and one of our pals got wicked food poisoning there! I'm done with it, decided last year.

Don't forget the Track Kitchen for early breakfast.

I cannot WAIT to get there!:eek:

FLeckenAwesome
Jan. 8, 2011, 04:50 AM
Theresa's is my fave!!! They have yummy cheese dip, huge pitchers, and.. the BEST veggie taco salad ever! It's warm, smothered in cheese dip, and has yummy veggies like zucchini, squash, beans, onions, tomatoes, etc. TO DIE FOR!!!

And yum... now I'm craving it... Drats! no Aiken for me til the 15th.....

Forego
Jan. 8, 2011, 09:19 AM
The Stable restaurant at Rose Hill is really good,go when the weather is good[if it ever gets warm again!] and walk around the grounds.It was a former Winter Colony home,the home is now a B&B,and the stables have been converted into a restaurant.

The Prime Steakhouse is my husband's favorite,and we went to Casa Bella last week for the first time,really good Italian.

Badger
Jan. 8, 2011, 10:24 AM
I ate at Rose Hill this week and loved it. Live music on Thursday nights. If you get a pitcher at Maria's, the Texas Margaritas are good AND strong.

Fractious Fox
Jan. 8, 2011, 10:59 AM
For the best pizza, wings, and beers on tap - PIZZA JOINT! There is one near Augusta, too, and both always win annual awards for best pizza in the CSRA.

New Moon for a hipster vibe, sweet roll or sandwich, and coffee.

TakoSushi for sushi!

*Trinity*
Jan. 8, 2011, 01:11 PM
There's a nice place downtown, too... fancy and can be a little pricey, but has appetizer sized dishes, so you get to order several. Anyone know which I'm talking about?

GiGi
Jan. 15, 2011, 11:22 PM
Yet again Taco Sushi; and I prefer Teresa's Mexican over Maria's. Teresa's is across from Atlanta Bread Co.

Badger
Jan. 16, 2011, 12:01 AM
Do not eat at the Mi Ranchero on Whiskey Road. It's awful. And don't rent a car from Enterprise on Aiken if you want good customer service.

Those are the only non-glowing things I can say about Aiken. Everything else in this town rocks.

100 Laurels in great for tapas. Don't miss the avocado and crab salad!

FlightCheck
Jan. 16, 2011, 07:50 AM
Up (the/your) Alley for more formal food...mmm

what's the name of the bakery/sandwich shop in downtown Aiken run by the group of ladies....on the opposite side of the road from the Alley, about 1 or 2 blocks down?

Altitude Rider
Jan. 16, 2011, 02:37 PM
TakoSushi is great and consistent (I worked there for a while and ate there often).

All my horsey girlfriends LOVE Maria's the best. I went there so often they were bringing my beer and cheese dip (I like the plain dip best) before I even ordered. (and yes, you can use the excuse to eat there b/c you have to wash horse blankets or pads next door).

I personally have never had a good meal at 100 Laurens but I know a lot of people love it. Davors is good for more "upscale" dining.

The Bowery has a new menu and I haven't tried it (I'm in Colorado now) but I heard it's a good change. The brewpub has good beer and decent food (try the black and blue salad).

Avoid the chains as there are plenty of good local options. (though I agree La Travinia was pretty good and had huge portions).

Track kitchen, good for atmosphere but blah on taste (too white bread for me). Aiken is lacking in breakfast options though the New Moon has an awesome breakfast parfait and breakfast burrito.

Someone needs to open a diner!! And it would be even better if it were east of town, out on 302!

Enjoy!

Summies182
Jan. 16, 2011, 03:35 PM
I just ate at an italian restaurant in an old house on a road parallel to the main down town road can not remember the name or the road name but it was good!
Takoshushi is also a favorite but is a little pricey, if you go you have to get the fried asparagus it is probably my favorite thing on the menu.

HCH
Jan. 16, 2011, 06:12 PM
MARIA'S!!!!!! has the BEST dip and good Mexican food.

and the Track Kitchen is always great for breakfast!!

Altitude Rider
Jan. 16, 2011, 08:10 PM
Summies182 that was Casa Bella! Also a fantastic restaurant that I left out.

Duramax
Jan. 16, 2011, 09:19 PM
I just discovered Cafe Rio Blanco- its a Cuban place downtown. I had, quite possibly, the best meal of my life there the other night! I had the shrimp in the white cilantro sauce with the yuca & mojo sauce and rice & beans. It was amazing! Reasonable prices and great wait staff. :yes:

Duramax
Jan. 16, 2011, 09:22 PM
Do not eat at the Mi Ranchero on Whiskey Road. It's awful.

Weird! Mi Rancho's is my favorite mexican place in Aiken- in fact I like it better than the mexican places at home. I always stay on Chime Bell Chase Road so Mi Rancho's is right there. I've been there 20+ times and have always had great food, drinks & service!

Badger
Jan. 16, 2011, 11:50 PM
Six of us ate there Thursday and it was universally bad. Most at my table left 2/3 to 1/2 of their meal uneaten. And I've sees spoken to several people who said they had eaten there once and would not be back.

I can vouch for good meals at Maria's, and have had heard locals rave about Fajitas.

pegasusmom
Jan. 17, 2011, 07:13 AM
Had dinner at Davors when we were in town last November for the CDE - quite good, good ervice. Have also eaten at the Aiken Brewing Company and like it very much.

Eventingjunkie
Jan. 17, 2011, 11:40 PM
Up (the/your) Alley for more formal food...mmm

what's the name of the bakery/sandwich shop in downtown Aiken run by the group of ladies....on the opposite side of the road from the Alley, about 1 or 2 blocks down?

Maybe Magnolia's. I haven't eaten there, but it smelled good when I walked in the other day.

I think Pat's is better for breakfast than The Track Kitchen, cheaper, too. But then it doesn't have the ambiance.

One place I haven't seen mentioned which is the bomb is The Curry Pot, right past Kroegers. I have heard they also have a lunch buffet which I will have to try, so I can figure out which curry dish is my favorite.

Just had Davours tonight. Pricey, but always yummy.

Bon appetit!

CookiePony
Jan. 17, 2011, 11:56 PM
Yes, it is Magnolia-- thank you! I knew what FC was thinking of but could not remember the name. It is delicious!

Kachina
Jan. 19, 2011, 09:02 AM
Magnolia's is GREAT. On York and Park in town. It is the best restaurant in Aiken. They're thinking of starting to do dinner, which would be fantastic. Have had bad meals and won't go back to Casa Bella. Travinia's is pleasant atmosphere and reliably OK food. Davor's is good. Malia's is good but horrible atmosphere. They just opened a Five Guys on Whiskey. Yum.