PDA

View Full Version : I just bathed a rat.

Aggie4Bar
Jan. 7, 2011, 06:49 PM
In terms of odd chores, this takes the cake.

The whole idea of moving horses home is cool and all. But then come the other animals.

New horses.

Random lost dogs.

Rats.

The former is my fault. The middle is fate. The last is... well, my fault. I did agree to allow the older child her very own pet if she paid for all its accessories and care herself. And she has. But you can't get just one rat.

With all the "How do I kill my resident rodent?" threads, I can now assure you all that PetHead shampoo is not the answer. One out of two rats would give a thumbs up to spa treatment. The second just squeaked pitifully.

tasia
Jan. 7, 2011, 07:13 PM
So now they are squeaky clean:lol:

wildlifer
Jan. 7, 2011, 07:17 PM
Ok, that is just darn cute.

BaroquePony
Jan. 7, 2011, 07:26 PM
squeaky clean

:lol:

MunchkinsMom
Jan. 7, 2011, 07:54 PM
I think if you have to repeat this performance, that a video is a must!

Watermark Farm
Jan. 7, 2011, 09:33 PM
Our son had three darling pet rat sisters who lived in a palace of a cage in his bedroom and saw the vet regularly for their various ailments as well as ate daily gourmet salads.

At the same time, we had a terrible rat outbreak in our hay barn. I used live traps until they got too smart. I wouldn't use snap or glue traps. So every evening my husband came home from work and got a glass of wine and his .22 and very sadly shot rats in order to give them a quick death.

The irony was not lost on us. Enjoy your darling, clean ratties!

citydog
Jan. 7, 2011, 09:38 PM
Great as pets, nightmares as vermin.

No photos of spa day, OP? :)

atr
Jan. 7, 2011, 09:48 PM
I just fed Ivermectin-laced apples to two baby porcupines with mange...

ladybugred
Jan. 7, 2011, 09:56 PM
without pics of "squeaky clean rats" this post is useless!!!!;)

As much as I like them, I couldn't have pet rats, I'd feel guiltier then I already do when I killed their vermin cousins in the barn.

LBR

Calvincrowe
Jan. 7, 2011, 10:15 PM
Oh, dear lord! I love rats. Mr. CC hates them. Hence, I have no pet rats. Please, please post pictures!

Though, I'm afraid we might have them in our barn, they are not the spa treatment kind, unless drowning them in a bucket counts:eek:

MunchkinsMom
Jan. 8, 2011, 01:29 AM
Just saw a trailer on TV for the season finale of "Hoarders", and the guy hoards rats!!! It gave me the willies to watch it, not sure I will tune in for that one.

SFrost
Jan. 8, 2011, 01:38 AM
Pet rats are just the cutest thing ever. Pic please!

My husband hates rodents of all types, particularly rats. Apparently the tail freaks him out. I argue they are cute and very smart. Who needs a 2 year old when you could have a pet rat?! He will not take the bait on this argument. He is going overseas for a year...I think I shall get a pet rat while he is gone. (And one of those crazy finches with the crazy feathers that stick up on their head like a pineapple. I MUST have one...or 5.)

I can now at least let him know that they can easily be washed with pet shampoo. I think this fact should make all well in his world.

bird4416
Jan. 8, 2011, 08:54 AM
This thread title made me think of a new song for Katy Perry.

I bathed a rat and I liked it.

allpurpose
Jan. 8, 2011, 09:44 AM
And my sick little mind had you calling the rat drowning technique described in the rat extermination thread "bathing." :yes::yes: Anyone else sick like me??:no::no:

buck22
Jan. 8, 2011, 01:20 PM
Awww, one of my most favorite pets of all time was my russian blue rat Leon Redbone. He was so cool, never a mess or a pest or destructive, just liked hanging out and being loved on and spoiled with goodies. He'd gratefully eat anything, though sourcream, twinkies and beer were his favorite treats. Everybody loved Leon, he even helped people who were afraid of rats.

I snuck him away with me when I went to college, I couldn't bear to part with him. He lived for 4 years until cancer finally claimed him. I spent every penny I had to my name at the animal hospital trying to save him. After 3 nights at the hospital he was finally doing well and I was coming to take him home, when he passed suddenly over night. The vet and his aid both shed a tear telling me. He was loved everywhere he went.

Puddin Pie
Jan. 8, 2011, 09:40 PM
I just snorted out my hot chocolate at the thought of a Katy Perry song of that title!! My 7 year old would dearly love a Katy Perry cd, but I have remained strong and have not bought it. Can you imagine that blasting through the speakers?

Stacie
Jan. 8, 2011, 09:42 PM
So now they are squeaky clean:lol:
<SNORT> :lol:

EqTrainer
Jan. 8, 2011, 10:12 PM
I love rats! We don't have any now - instead, cats! But they are great pets.

Grataan
Jan. 8, 2011, 10:18 PM
Awwww. I used to have a rat named Neeewwwwman (said the Seinfeld way) he was so pretty. The "big C" got him too :(

lcw579
Jan. 9, 2011, 12:06 PM
What?! No pictures?! I love rats - they are fabulous pets.

DH and I had 15 rats when we were first married. We had brought home 2 males and a little female. Yup. She turned out to be pregnant and we were surprised by 12 baby rats. :eek: I was going to be brave and take some of the kits to the pet shop to be sold when hubby stops me and says "You can't. You know what will happen to most of them .... snake food." I was relieved since I had been thinking the same thing. Please note: it is really hard to convince your friends that they need to adopt one of your rats. We ended up with cages all over the living room. :lol:

shygirl
Jan. 9, 2011, 12:18 PM
So... has anyone ever had a pet rat spayed or neutered?

Our two bunnies are boy and girl, but the boy doesn't have his boys anymore, so to speak. It's nice to just have one giant cage without all that multiplying.

Timex
Jan. 9, 2011, 12:32 PM
Rats are such great pets! I was between rodents when I met my ex-DH, and he hated to idea, so when he became the ex, I was all set to go get a couple of ratties, but was given a pair of chinchillas instead. So between them and the mini rex bunny, we're all set for rodents. For now. ;)

lcw579
Jan. 9, 2011, 12:35 PM
We had chinchillas too. Adorable animals, I don't know how people can make coats out of them. Is your pair mixed sex? The babies are adorable but escape artists.

avezan
Jan. 9, 2011, 06:30 PM
Have you seen dumbo rats? Cutest things ever!
http://www.itsmymarket.com/images/photos/14358.jpg

Guin
Jan. 9, 2011, 07:24 PM
So... has anyone ever had a pet rat spayed or neutered?

Our two bunnies are boy and girl, but the boy doesn't have his boys anymore, so to speak. It's nice to just have one giant cage without all that multiplying.

And without the smell!! Unneutered rabbit pee STINKS.

Equibrit
Jan. 9, 2011, 07:43 PM
Please tell me what prompts a sane person to bathe a rat ?

Calvincrowe
Jan. 9, 2011, 07:46 PM
Rats need spa days, Equibrit. Rats get greasy behind the ears, and a bit, well, stenchy. If you are friends with a rat then to the bath he or she must go! They are quite personable and sweet, not to mention smart and inquisitive. Think Ratatouille, not Lab Rat.:)

Equibrit
Jan. 9, 2011, 08:10 PM
I am in a perpetual state of war with any rodent, I wouldn't bathe one if my life depended on it !

Milocalwinnings
Jan. 9, 2011, 11:50 PM
Any tips on how to bathe rats? I just got two about a month ago and really need to bathe them before I go back to school.

Aggie4Bar
Jan. 10, 2011, 11:05 AM
Sorry, folks, it just didn't occur to me at the time to take pictures. Perhaps next time.

Equibrit - Believe me, this is not something I anticipated being part of my life. Rats got a bath because they reeked like pee after kiddo let the bedding go a little too long.

Milo - I got my instructions off The Dapper Rat website (Rat Bathing (http://www.dapper.com.au/articles.htm#bath)). Their description is pretty much how it went. One rat loved it and could be heard contentedly bruxing, particularly while being rubbed dry. The other hated it and repeated bolted up my arm to my shoulder, where she shook like a dog and did cling wetly to my neck, as warned in #2 on the list. Turns out, it's not as easy as you'd think to hold onto an uncooperative, wet rat.

lcw579
Jan. 10, 2011, 11:09 AM
Mild shampoo and either a sink full of water or the tub. Just put a little shampoo on your hand and give them a scrub. Mine all enjoyed their soapy massages and didn't mind the water at all. It's like washing a dog - a very small dog.

We had a few that liked swimming around so they had their baths in the tub. I put a bath mat in and something in the tub for them to climb up on when they got tired of swimming.

Love rats. This thread is making me want to add one or two to the menagerie. :)

leilatigress
Jan. 10, 2011, 11:14 AM
I'm with Equibrit on the war thing, I HATE rats and mice. I did have hamsters as a child and guinea pigs are my least favorite rodent. Friend has a chincilla and while I adore stroking that fur I have no intention of owning one.

SmartAlex
Jan. 10, 2011, 11:19 AM
My only thought on the subject... at least a rat must dry quicker than my fat cat (who also gets greasy behind her ears).

Bluey
Jan. 10, 2011, 11:22 AM
We were doing an experiment in space medicine and there were two white lab rats left over, that of course came home with me.
They were very cuddly and ran up one arm, around your neck and down the other, looked into any pockets and sat in your lap wiggling their pink noses and cleaning their whiskers like a cat.
Never thought to bathe them.:p

I used to let them run around free when I was there to supervise.
Our big, fat old cat Felix would let Sput and Nik run all over him and one would sit on his head while he very seriously stared into the air.
Never could figure what he was thinking.:lol:

We lost them one night, when they made their escape from their wooden box by eating a hole in a corner, one in the chest droor corner that box sat in and were never seen again, or smelled a dead rat.:cry:

naturalequus
Jan. 10, 2011, 11:25 AM
Turns out, it's not as easy as you'd think to hold onto an uncooperative, wet rat.

Hehe, try bathing the uncooperative hedgehog ;) He is fairly tolerant now but I can't say yet he particularly enjoys his baths. Same can be said for getting his little toenails clipped :winkgrin:

I've already informed the SO that rats (or at least A rat) will be a part of his life one day. He is already okay with the small-ish corn snake though (5' long - he even tried to feign 'like' in it when we first met, hehehehe) and has his own strange pet desires so I think we can make a trade-off :lol: I think I finally found someone as crazy as I!

Ever seen spiny mice? Now THOSE are fabulous pets! They lack the smell of ordinary mice, their spines are not actually prickly, and they are quite the characters! Mine used to hang out in my hoodies throughout the day as I ran errands about the house. They'd rest in the front pocket or crawl about my shoulders. They also had their regular salads that often included whatever we were having for supper that day, including chicken or ribs. The funniest sight was little miss Raz sneaking a rib bone off the empty plate I had placed on the floor for a moment without thinking, dragging said rib bone, which was easily double her size, across the floor to sit on my computer power adapter and chew on her prize. They mysteriously died when I left the two girls in the care of family while I was in Australia; I have yet to search for any replacements, but soon. Never had to bathe them though ;)

Mozart
Jan. 10, 2011, 03:04 PM
This thread title made me think of a new song for Katy Perry.

I bathed a rat and I liked it.

Chicken tikka on the keyboard.
And it's YOUR fault.

purplnurpl
Jan. 10, 2011, 04:45 PM
Please tell me what prompts a sane person to bathe a rat ?

1 rat was a reject that I brought home from the lab. (yes I work in research) and (yes, bringing home research animals is forbidden and illegal).

She was from a strain of fat gene rats. The boys were type II diabetic but the girls were just fat. Fed on lab rat food the get pretty fat.
hmmmm...
fed in a loving home with a pantry full
of cookies they get REALLY FAT!

she ended up so fat that she couldn't move. She would pedal her lil feet but they wouldn't touch the ground and shavings would fly.

I had to bathe her because she was too fat to clean herself.
She eventually died after about a year. Obese from an early age 4 weeks. Her lungs filled up with fluid.

I've had 5 or 6 rats.
I did have my first rat neutered.
He was the best of the bunch and ran free in my bedroom. He used to steal things and categorize them under my bed. Pencils, pens, crumbs, chap sticks--they all had their separate piles. He was a hoot.

If you have to get a rodent for your child, get a rat!

she was a home bred Zucker Diabetic Fatty
http://www.criver.com/EN-US/PRODSERV/BYTYPE/RESMODOVER/RESMOD/Pages/ZDFRat.aspx
but much fatter than the rat in the pic. I would say she was almost twice that size.

when we would give lectures we would show a pic of our fattest zucker rat and say,
"now that is one fat mother Zucker".
LMAO.

purplnurpl
Jan. 10, 2011, 04:47 PM
Rats need spa days, Equibrit. Rats get greasy behind the ears, and a bit, well, stenchy. If you are friends with a rat then to the bath he or she must go! They are quite personable and sweet, not to mention smart and inquisitive. Think Ratatouille, not Lab Rat.:)

really?
we never had to clean ours. except for my fatty. heheh.

rats are said to be the cleanest rodents.

I cleaned mine in the kitchen sink. The baby shampoo. But she was fat and just sat there. I don't know about washing a rat that can actually move!

Burbank
Jan. 10, 2011, 05:45 PM
I had pet rats as a child, they were always female and we got them in pairs. I had hooded rats and albino rats and never bathed them. But I did bathe hamsters when I worked at an aminal hospital.

Mosey_2003
Jan. 11, 2011, 12:03 PM
Just saw a trailer on TV for the season finale of "Hoarders", and the guy hoards rats!!! It gave me the willies to watch it, not sure I will tune in for that one.

I watched it last night!!! :eek: Actually felt sorry for the poor guy, he had a lot of real grief. :(

tasia
Jan. 11, 2011, 05:16 PM
For Rat Spa Day, maybe you could use a foot spa. It would be a jacuzzi for rats :)

shygirl
Jan. 11, 2011, 05:42 PM
So is there any truth to the idea that female rats have more cat-like personalities and males are more like dogs?

Everyone I know who has had a "really personable" rat seems to be talking about a male.

asb_own_me
Jan. 11, 2011, 06:53 PM
I used to let them run around free when I was there to supervise.
Our big, fat old cat Felix would let Sput and Nik run all over him and one would sit on his head while he very seriously stared into the air.
Never could figure what he was thinking.:lol:

You are going to describe such unbearable cuteness without sharing a photo? I want to see Sput and Nik!

texang73
Jan. 12, 2011, 10:52 AM

:yes: I've never owned rats, but have friends who did... cool little personable creatures.

oldenmare
Jan. 12, 2011, 11:11 AM
Am I the only one sitting here laughing my fool head off remember the episode from "Cheers" where Frasier's then wife, Lilith, was carrying her beloved-now-deceased lab rat around in her purse???

My cousin raises rats - he told his wife when they met that he would always have rats. She's grown to love them. I've turned down all offers of babies as I have enough mouths to feed as it is!

Aggie4Bar
Jan. 12, 2011, 11:59 AM
So is there any truth to the idea that female rats have more cat-like personalities and males are more like dogs?

Everyone I know who has had a "really personable" rat seems to be talking about a male.We have two females, and they're mostly too busy to just hang out. One of them is reaching the point where she'll hop off your lap to explore but then run back 5 seconds later to be scritched. She'll sit there, chatter a bit, and then run off again for another few seconds. The other just wants to explore.

I've also heard that males are more social with their people, but we opted against males because of the extra pee and my lack of desire to divert attention away from anatomy every time someone met the rats. I mean, it's out there for all to see, y'know?

in_the_zone
Jan. 13, 2011, 09:04 PM
Love. Rats. My 3rd and current favorite is a blue rat named Muffin. She is licky like a dog, comes when you call her, and begs to get out of her cage to socialize. She likes to nestle in my hair and give me kisses. What's not to love?

Bluey
Jan. 13, 2011, 09:46 PM
You are going to describe such unbearable cuteness without sharing a photo? I want to see Sput and Nik!

I grew up before there were cameras in every one's hands.
Photographers were the ones that had them and took pictures that you had to wait until they developed them in their dark rooms, black and white, of course.

I don't have any pictures hardly from growing up, or horses or any other, but a few taken by those photographers.

Not only that, my parents would not have seen kindly to me having mice in my room, that was their house.
I was using an old hamster cage and hoped they didn't find out.:eek:
The cat was really our neighbors, but lived with us and slept on my pillow, the old "he just followed me home"trick.:)
A picture of mice would have been a bad idea.;)

I still wish I had thought to give them a bath.:yes:

Renae
Jan. 13, 2011, 10:22 PM
My brother and i had a pet rat when we were kids. She was a hooded rat with a tan hood named Izzy. We would bring her everywhere, give her baths, she would ride on the cat's back, she was a great pet!

Oh and we washed ours in the bathroom sink with regular shamppo. She loved when yuo toweled her dry afterwards.

shygirl
Jan. 14, 2011, 12:04 AM
I've also heard that males are more social with their people, but we opted against males because of the extra pee and my lack of desire to divert attention away from anatomy every time someone met the rats. I mean, it's out there for all to see, y'know?

LOL Aggie, I have had the same thoughts regarding rat anatomy.

That's why I was wondering about neutering.
There would be less to explain, at any rate :-D

sourmilknightmares
Jan. 14, 2011, 03:37 PM
I've heard good things about spaying/neutering rats. Helps the girls calm down, keeps the boys from stinking and getting as oily, and decreases a couple of organs that are otherwise prone to cancer.

I had two boy rats when I was 17. I used pine pellets for bedding and it worked great for covering up their boy stink and it was lower in dust than a lot of other products. They died at 2 and 2 1/2, but they were sweet little critters until the end! They LOVED to ride around on your shoulder in the hood of a jacket. You could open up their cage and they would run around exploring and when they were tired, they would simply put themselves away. And these babies were originally untouchable snake food when I bought them!

My husband was never too fond of the little rodents but shortly after we got married I was having a really bad day. He took me out to lunch and then suggested we go to the pet store next door and go "look" at the rats. After pressing him for more information he admitted that he was planning on buying me a couple of ratties to brighten up my day. I thanked him profusely but denied the offer--the little guys just don't live long enough. He did manage to cheer me up though!

Susan P
Jan. 14, 2011, 04:23 PM
"BEN"

PunkeyPony
Jan. 18, 2011, 12:38 PM
They are completely awesome pets, I've had several. Lost all of them at separate times to cancer, makes me wonder about what's around us. (Water, air, etc.)

But yeah - I've also spent hours fixing the floor in my grain room from where they chewed through and ripped open every bag of grain, and in the process of getting to the floor tore up all my flowers. I put poison blocks out, traps, etc. I ended up putting a wire mesh on the floor of the room, and another floor on top of that. (The grain room was an old wooden shed.)

The part that really annoyed me is my neighbor had an open grain 'area' with no door, where sometimes the grain bags would sit for several days before there was enough room in the bins to dump them, and she never had a problem with rats opening the bags. My rats were willing to do demolition work to annoy me.

Oh yeah, and they always went for the expensive bags like Ultium or Athlete, or even the TC feeds - never touched the southern states bags.

Emmas Hot Brass
Jan. 18, 2011, 12:53 PM
I just snorted out my hot chocolate at the thought of a Katy Perry song of that title!! My 7 year old would dearly love a Katy Perry cd, but I have remained strong and have not bought it. Can you imagine that blasting through the speakers?

Oh gosh! A 7-yo listening to Katy Perry!? I'm 18 and some of her lyrics just appaul me... and I'm not THAT conservative. Stay strong, don't give in to that one...

That being said though, Firework is a cute song (: She does have some good stuff

Milocalwinnings
Jan. 18, 2011, 08:40 PM
So I just bathed my two rats- Remington and Rebel- last night. Remy was not at all thrilled with the idea, to say the least :lol: After he was dry he just glared at me and went on and on grooming himself because apparently his job is better than mine.

Rebel surprised me. He is usually the shyer one of the two and I was worried this would scare him more. At first he was unsure about it but then he actually seemed to like...er...tolerate it. He LOVED me rubbing him with the towel to dry him off though.

Wish I woulda thought to get pics. Easier said than done- one hand isn't always enough to hold a wet wiggly rat :lol:

Bluey
Jan. 19, 2011, 06:40 AM
Nothing like a picture of a wet rat with a towel draped aroung it to start the morning.:p

What a lost opportunity.:lol: