PDA

View Full Version : Dog with blodshot eyes and itching?

jetandmegs4
Jan. 7, 2011, 04:42 PM
I recently adopted a dog about three weeks ago. She is a pointer mix, rescue from Puerto Rico. I have a vet appointment scheduled just to check in (she is up to date on all shots/heartworm/etc already). At any rate, wondering about the possibility of allergies. She is currently eating the Wellness Super5mix Chicken flavor. She also gets a little bit of the chicken and sweet potato canned food also from Wellness for flavor. I just got a coupon from Blue Buffalo in the mail, and was considering trying that brand. Any opinions?
She has had bloodshot eyes off and on a bit, and is frequently scratching and licking herself. I've cleaned out her ears. We're working up to a bath (She's very timid having been abused/neglected). Any suggestions regarding care/feeding? I've seen that Wellness as well as Blue Buffalo has kinds of food that are good for allergies, maybe that's something to try? All of this will be discussed with the vet, but I'm not going until next week so was thinking about this and wondering if there was anything i could do now. I wouldn't say she's uncomfortable, just will scratch for a good few minutes sometimes. I also got biospot, which I'm planning on using as well.

Rbow
Jan. 7, 2011, 05:53 PM
How old is she?

It sounds to me like allergies but I'd think the eyes were something other than food allergies.

I suspect the vet will give her a benedryl to see if it helps. You could probably even call the Vet, discuss, and give it a try before next week.

Lot of good foods out there to try for allergies, but I don't have any personal experience with Blue Buffalo.

jetandmegs4
Jan. 7, 2011, 06:22 PM
She's three years old. I'll try giving the vets office a call and see if I can speak to them before her appointment.

HorseBabble
Jan. 7, 2011, 09:52 PM
Almost certainly allergies.

There are two allergen blood tests available last time I checked. One for contact/inhalant allergies, the other for food allergies. The one for contact/inhalant allergies is very accurate and worth the $100 bucks or so it will take to run. The one for food allergies is so inaccurate that one of the vets that helped develop the test doesn't use it in his own practice. If food is the culprit, you'll have to tough it out the hard way: remove all potential problems from the diet and reintroduce one at a time. It's an unbelievably long process.

I have never had a dog successfully controlled with antihistamines. I have come to the conclusion that they scratch/itch less on benedryl due to the sedative effect more than anything else.

Rbow
Jan. 7, 2011, 09:57 PM
I have never had a dog successfully controlled with antihistamines. I have come to the conclusion that they scratch/itch less on benedryl due to the sedative effect more than anything else.

Probably so, I think that's how it works on me.