PDA

View Full Version : Rocking Horse- good for spectators?

4Martini
Jan. 7, 2011, 01:36 PM
I am thinking about tacking on a day of spectating to a trip I have to take. Is it worth a 4 hour + drive to go to Rocking Horse? What's it like? I've never seen above prelim in person.

Anyone planning on going?

Thanks!

dixiedolphin
Jan. 7, 2011, 01:47 PM
In Altoona? Yep, I think it's pretty spectator friendly! It's a bit of a walk out to the XC course, but not really too bad--especially when the weather is nice like it is right now and not ridiculously hot. I'm not a big fan of the food I've seen out there so far, so I've been taking my own little mini cooler with lunch for myself.

Only time I've ever had any problem is when a photo vendor harassed us for taking pictures of people from our own barn, which was a complete load of manure if I ever heard of one and no fault of the site itself. But otherwise, it's a pretty relaxed and friendly atmosphere. And the Ocala National Forest where the place is snugly nestled is simply beautiful out there, very scenic real Florida. :)

scubed
Jan. 7, 2011, 02:08 PM
Absolutely, you can stand in the middle of the main xc field and see a ton and it tends to be very friendly and laid back with lots of top competitors.

maxxtrot
Jan. 7, 2011, 07:30 PM
love rocking horse, very friendly staff and all of the people are great. beautiful grounds, easy to watch all levels. i really miss going there.

TBjumper103
Jan. 7, 2011, 07:41 PM
LOVE rocking horse both as a competitor and spectator. Have been showing there for years, was even the site of my very first show, so maybe I am a little bias. :D
Alice is great and always puts on a great show. I agree with the not so great food, but if that is the worst thing I can think of then...........
They finally put in bleachers at the jumping ring, and you can turn around to see the dressage which is right behind you. Love their cross county, very spread out but also viewer friendly. So i say prepare for a 4+ hour trip and enjoy the place!

MeghanDACVA
Jan. 7, 2011, 08:00 PM
I love RH. Both as rider and spectator. Open, relaxed, friendly. I have lucky enough that everytime I have been there that the weather has been perfect.
As the others have said, the xc is a hike and spread out but it is easy walking. There is one area on the way to the water where you can see alot.

I love it. And I oooooh so missing not going this year. Riding or not.

JWB
Jan. 7, 2011, 09:26 PM
Love Rocking Horse. It's off the beaten path - Altoona is not a sprawling metropolis, and you're pretty much limited to what is on site since it's out of town. There is a trail ride/dude ranch type place down the road (Fiddler's Green (http://www.fiddlersgreenranch.com/About_Us.html)) with cabins, camp sites, stalls, etc you can rent for a mini-vacation but they book up fast during the show.

Do pack some food unless you're content to live on sausages and crepes. Don't get me wrong - I love a crepe - but 3 crepes a day for 3 days - no thanks!

The facility is lovely, the people are friendly and the XC course is central enough that you can see a lot from one place. Definitely go!

Lori T
Jan. 7, 2011, 09:41 PM
I love RH! If I ever get down to just one horse, I want to board there!! We are headed there tomorrow to take some pony clubbers schooling. There is ALOT of walking, so wear comfortable shoes. If it is winter, be prepared for COLD! It there is a cold snap, it gets really cold there!