PDA

View Full Version : Favorite longeing excercises for rider?

shea'smom
Jan. 7, 2011, 08:52 AM
What are some of your excercises for the rider that you do on the longe. I;m getting bored with mine.
I will share my favorite, the " climb the rope". Great for stretching the rider up tall and helps them sit correctly on seat bones.

Jeannette, formerly ponygyrl
Jan. 7, 2011, 09:30 AM
Good ol toe touches - both across the horse (left hand touch or reach towards right foot) and on the same side. Useful both for teaching leg to stay in place no matter what chaos is going on w the body, and for getting comfortable regaining your position.

Also, w leg facing forward (not toes out, which makes it much easier) lifting the whole leg off the horse, straight out. Really loosens tight parts of hips.

shawneeAcres
Jan. 7, 2011, 09:40 AM
I do large circles with arms at walk/trot, "Swimming" and "backstroke" at walk/trot (both riding and sitting trot for all of these), "Stand up in stirrups" at trot, two point, having rider try and "touch the horses ears", touching toes on opposite side, two point with one arm out to side, then to hip then out to side, as rider progesses go to both hands. Arms out to side, twist body to the right from waist, then to the left etc. Am sure there is more I am overlooking!

monstrpony
Jan. 7, 2011, 10:16 AM
Arms out to side, shoulder height, twist at the high waist (keep hips as straight as possible) till arms are parallel to the horse's spine. Good for identifying unevenness in lateral flexibility.

Close eyes and tilt head as if looking up. Good for stretching spine and uncurling core.

Tho both of these are probably already in your library.

Dressage_Julie
Jan. 7, 2011, 11:17 AM
Closing eyes! Makes you really feel every movement. At first you feel like you might fall off though :)

Deepinmanure
Jan. 7, 2011, 12:01 PM
Many years ago I went to Michael Poulins farm up in Fairfield Maine.Here are a couple of my favorite longe excercises that helped my seat the most that I learned while there.

1) With horse trotting scissors your legs ,keeping knees straight,place one leg forward a few inches and one back and then reverse movement.Do this approx 10 times or until it hurts.It stretches your tendons
2) With horse trotting and your legs hanging loosely at sides of horse slowly bend one knee up toward your chest.You probably will only get has far as the top of saddle.Then slowly put leg back down to norm position,Repeat 10 times on each leg.
This next one is my favorite for getting a DEEP seat.
3) With horse trotting ,hold your arms straight out in front of you towards the horses neck and slowly raise arms together until your arms are straigt over head.As you raise your arms ,also raise your head and stretch your upper body at the same time.Then slowly lower your arms little by little until your arms are hanging at your sides.As you lower your arms collapse your spine and let your head hang down so that all of your upper body weight is in your seat and legs (like a ton of bricks). Let yourself hang heavy for a few strides .Then keeping the weight in your seat and legs slowly raise your arms again over your head,straightening your spine and lifting your head up looking at ceiling.Ride a few trot strides like that (hands pointing to ceiling and head looking up to ceiling,body stretching up).At that point maintain the stretch with your body but slowly allow arms to come down hanging loosely at your sides and bring your head to normal postition.Repeat 4-5 times until your seat is deep and weight is in your heels,and your upper body is light and your posture (spine) is straight and flexible.