PDA

View Full Version : oral tumors in cats?

tuppysmom
Jan. 7, 2011, 12:00 AM
She is a spade female, about 6 yrs old. Pound kitty so no exact age for her. She is a short haired white, if that makes a difference.

The tumor is on her upper jaw near the front of her mouth. It does not sound like there is a reasonable treatment, but I would like to know how common this might be.

We have had many cats over the years, but I have never seen one of these tumors until now.

Pancakes
Jan. 7, 2011, 04:49 AM
If it's on the upper lip, it may be an eosinophilic plaque (rodent ulcer) which is nothing to be *too* worried about.

Otherwise, you're probably looking at squamous cell carcinoma or melanoma. Both of which are very, very bad.

Get her to a vet ASAP for a biopsy so you know what you're dealing with. She may have only months if it's SCC or she may have a potentially long life if they're just eosinophilic plaques.

EquineImagined
Jan. 7, 2011, 12:55 PM
I don't think there's any connection to her color, could be wrong, I have seen some skin conditions more common in animals with white fur. As for how common it is, that's hard to say too not knowing exactly what it is. Have had several cats over the years and none ended up with tumors. Kidney, bladder, and other problems but never that. I may just have been lucky?

Also, I second to get to the vet to have it diagnosed, if you haven't already. You said it doesn't sound like there's a reasonable treatment, so I'm guessing you have? Your vet would be the best person to tell you how common it is and if it has any connection to genetics/color/random act of nature.

Rbow
Jan. 7, 2011, 03:19 PM
I lost an old dog to an oral melanoma. Although the Vet told me they were rare in dogs, after some quick research, it seems they are quite common in dogs at least.

I was also given the option of some experimental treatments. It didn't seem reasonable to me at his age and I feared prolonging his suffering. I might have considered it with a younger animal.

tuppysmom
Jan. 7, 2011, 04:21 PM
She has been to the vet. The treatment would be to remove her upper jaw which would give her, at best, a few more months. That doesn't seem like the right thing to do to an outdoor cat.

Squamous cc is the diagnosis.

I did some googling and found out that it is not that uncommon in cats. We have been lucky to date, I guess.

Pancakes
Jan. 7, 2011, 06:08 PM
Sorry for the diagnosis. :(

SCC is very bad and grows very fast. My suggestion if surgery and/or chemo/radiation is not an option is to watch her closely and treat the mass if it gets ulcerated/infected with an antibiotic, and give her pain medication if she becomes uncomfortable. Eventually, when she can no longer eat comfortably, you'll know it's her time.

I'm really sorry. I hope whatever time she has left with you is pain-free and full of love.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2722 Here is a good article for you.

Rhyadawn
Jan. 7, 2011, 06:14 PM
I had a cat with an oral tumor, but we didn't check it out to closely. He had diabetes, and when we found it we had already made the appointment to put him to sleep. He was not doing well, wasn't responding to treatment anymore.

My vet did mention that if it was cancer then the treatment options were limited. But that was several years ago.

tuppysmom
Jan. 7, 2011, 06:58 PM
She will be cared for and hugged as before. We will not let her get uncomfortable. She's been a good cat.

Chief2
Jan. 8, 2011, 02:11 PM
A friend of mine has had a couple of cats with oral tumors--some form of cancer. Her vet has had her using an oral spray to help her cats be more comfortable and restrict the growth of the tumors. The name of it is Biotene for animals (pronounced Bio-teen). Her cats have done well for many years with this spray. It is not too expensive, and would be worth a try so your cat would be more comfortable and have an easier time eating her food.

The other vet treatments didn't do much. Once they have the tumors, you are more into maintaining them as best as possible until you have to let them go. Good luck with your kitty!

EquineImagined
Jan. 8, 2011, 03:20 PM
I'm so sorry.

Zu Zu
Jan. 8, 2011, 06:25 PM
Thoughts and prayers and huge hugs for your dear cat and her family ~ so very sorry to read this update ~
May her remaining time be filled with family love and kisses ~

Melzy
Jan. 8, 2011, 06:49 PM
"We will not let her get uncomfortable." - tuppysmom

That is the best plan for any animal. I truly respect you, tuppymom, for being such a caring and loving owner. God bless you and your cat.

CarolinaGirl
Jan. 8, 2011, 09:48 PM
Sorry about your kitty. We had a cat come in today with an oral tumor recheck. I assume they removed the mass before (I've only been there about two months), but it has come back in 3-4 months. This one was on the lower jaw of an older cat (13ish if IRRC). The cat is only getting wet food now and the mass has become large enough to make her tongue stick out the majority of the time. Essentially it becomes a quality of life thing. The cat's not lost weight and still acts normal. So it's the when she stops eating, starts losing weight or becomes uncomfortable then it'll be time to put her down.