View Full Version : Any info on a seal brown TB named d'Artagnan in Michigan?

Jan. 6, 2011, 03:28 PM
Title says it all - I am looking for a former horse of mine who was very special to me. His name when I sold him was d'Artagnan (Tanner), and I know he's been sold since I sold him, and I would dearly like to know what happened to him. His former owner was a junior rider by the name of Annaliese VanHeukolom (sp?).

He probably is about 15 or so by now, dark bay/seal brown TB with no white markings, about 15.2 hands, with a very Morgan-like build. He was sold as a dressage horse, which is why I am posting on this forum. If anybody can be of help, please let me know! I would love to track him down. Thanks!

Jan. 6, 2011, 09:04 PM
Do you know where in Michigan?

That name sounds really familiar to me, but then again, it could be a popular name...

Edit- by name, I meant the name Tanner! :)

Speedy Alice
Jan. 7, 2011, 12:46 AM
I know Tanner and Annelies! I'm pretty she still owns him, unless she's sold him since last month. :) He is a really lovely boy and she dotes on him. Can you PM me your email addy and I'll pass it on to her.

Jan. 7, 2011, 03:11 AM
no, but I just had to say, excellent name for a horse!!

Speedy Alice
Jan. 7, 2011, 08:43 AM
I sent a message to Annelies with the link to this thread and heard back from her... she's looking forward to filling you in on how Tanner's doing (he's still with her). :)

Jan. 7, 2011, 09:00 AM
Speedy Alice lives up to her name!

Speedy Alice
Jan. 7, 2011, 09:58 AM
Speedy Alice lives up to her name!

:) Isn't the Internet great?

Jan. 7, 2011, 11:58 AM
:) Isn't the Internet great?

Speedy Alice - I love you! I also love this BB! thanks to everyone who helped me out.

How can I contact Annaliese to see how he's doing? Tanner is an amazing horse and I hated selling him. In fact, KarenC and I often joke about buying him back for her to ride ;). I'm so glad she still has him!

Jan. 7, 2011, 01:28 PM
Hi eventer_mi!

Sure enough I still have Tanner! He's doing great. We're still riding dressage (much to his dismay:), he always loved his jumping). Everything's been going good with him. I'm not exactly sure what you'd like to know but feel free to ask and keep in touch if you'd like.

Some history if you'd like....
*We've made our rounds. We did Equestrian team in high school together, we even did and placed in some saddle seat classes (but mainly since we knew how to ride patterns). Along with jumping and english stuff.
*We did a few years of 4-H. Pretty much everything there besides the western and speed stuff, but I was always tempted to try speed. He probably would of enjoyed himself. :)
*Otherwise we've mainly done dressage. I took some jumping lessons for awhile, but once we moved to another barn that didn't have jumps, we've stuck to dressage. He continues to progress and I actually continue to show. He's always a perfect gentleman and loves the attention. I try and do 3-4 local shows a year, and even have gone to a few USDF shows down at Waterloo. This year my goal is try make it through second level showing....or at least attempt the tests. :) We even try some third level stuff here and there. I gotta say he's real good at his laterals which is always fun.

Otherwise (knock on wood) he's been in good health, minus some arthritis a bit, but of course that comes with age. He's gonna be 17 this May! I can't believe he'll be that old. But he certainly doesn't act like it. He barely acts over 10. :) He's just as pretty as ever and of course ALWAYS the boss. He loves any attention and always turns heads everywhere he goes.

Sorry this is kind of long but if you'd like to know anything else or a picture let me know. I'm not sure where you're at now but you could even come see him if you'd like.... Otherwise I'm on facebook too, you can find me there.

Hope all is well and hope to hear from you soon....

Jan. 7, 2011, 01:31 PM
COTH is the best, isn't it? So glad you found your old boy!:)

Jan. 7, 2011, 02:29 PM
I absolutely LOVE it when I know that a horse I've sold to a good home has stayed there. Annelies is the BEST and they were a perfect match.

Annelies - thanks so much for writing me. You have a PM! We'll take this off the general BB because it's not of interest to anybody but us. So glad Tanner is still with you.

Long Spot
Jan. 7, 2011, 04:05 PM
it's not of interest to anybody but us. So glad Tanner is still with you.

Wrong. You've just warmed my heart. Wonderful stuff.

Jan. 7, 2011, 06:44 PM
What a small world! I love that we were able to find each other and catch up. COTH is a good thing to use. :)

Jan. 7, 2011, 06:50 PM
So glad to see that this worked out!

Jan. 7, 2011, 07:53 PM
This gave me the warm fuzzies!

Speedy Alice
Jan. 7, 2011, 08:47 PM
eventer_mi, I'm so glad I could help out and that you know Tanner is loved and doing well! :)

Annelies, thanks for posting here! It's a wonderful story. :) I have a picture of you and Tanner from an ADA annual show at Waterloo after the Dressage Equitation class - do you remember that? Can't remember who took it, but it's you, me, Blanca and Barb S. I'll try to find it and post it - it's a really nice photo of Tanner and you.

Jan. 7, 2011, 08:57 PM
Ok Speedy and eventer_mi, now you two have got my curiosity.. what part of MI are you from? LOL.Small world!

Speedy Alice
Jan. 7, 2011, 09:29 PM
I'm in Holland; click on my website - it's all there! :) Are you in Michigan, too? (And are you getting dumped on right now? We're getting a ton of Lake Effect snow...)

Whoops, not to derail the thread...

Anyway, Annelies and I used to be on the Board of our GMO together - she was the Junior Rider representative and I did the Omnibus. I haven't been on the COTH for months, except for a few times when I dropped in... just happened to see this thread and am so glad I did. :)

Jan. 7, 2011, 11:44 PM
So sick of snow! :(

Speedy Alice
Jan. 8, 2011, 09:44 AM
So sick of snow! :(

Jan. 8, 2011, 12:57 PM
Now that you mention it I think I do remember that picture... I always love to look at the old pics and see what's changed. It seems so long ago I was even on the board!

Jan. 8, 2011, 01:33 PM
I'm no longer in Michigan, since I moved to NC (Southern Pines area) - and ladies, it's snowing down here, too!

Annelies, welcome to the board. You'll have a lot of fun here. For those of you who know Tanner, you know how special he is. d'Artagnan, as he is formally known (and I'm thrilled that you kept his name! He certainly lives up to it, doesn't he?), was my former event horse. We did quite well at the lower levels and it appears that he is excelling as a dressage horse, too.

So glad I found him again, and that this BB helped us to do it. You've given me one of the greatest gifts of 2011, Annelies!

Speedy Alice
Jan. 9, 2011, 11:05 PM
Now that you mention it I think I do remember that picture... I always love to look at the old pics and see what's changed. It seems so long ago I was even on the board!

I know, it seems like ages ago! I guess it was. :) I think it's been 4 years since I did the Omnibus, so either 2007 or 2008 was my last year on the board... I needed a break. :)

It's great to see that you and Tanner are doing so well - hope to see you this summer at some horsey event!

Jan. 9, 2011, 11:23 PM
Can we get a picture of Tanner already.

Speedy Alice
Jan. 10, 2011, 02:48 PM
OK, here's the picture I have from the July 24, 2005 All Dressage Association (West Michigan GMO) Annual show - presentation for the Equitation Class:

I remember the ring was really sloppy (Blanca's legs have dried mud/clay on them... the sun finally came out!) and dodging (or caprioling over, in Blanca's case... drama queen... the judge must not have seen that) the puddles was part of the strategic planning.

I think both Tanner and Blanca were very happy once the class was over and they could leave that messy ring! Seems to me there were a lot of entries and the mud was flying everywhere..

Annelies, Hard to believe this was over 5 years ago, isn't it?

Jan. 10, 2011, 03:43 PM
I'll be honest, when I saw the thread....info on a seal bay TB, I thought, yeah, good luck with that--LOL!

Of course it helps you had the name of the girl that bought him. I had a horse that I sold about 7 years ago to a sale barn, and I had hoped to find out about how she's doing, but nada, couldn't find out anything other than she was sold as a hunter but nobody knew where she was. And she was DISTINCTIVE!

I'm so glad you found out how he's doing--what a handsome guy!!

Jan. 10, 2011, 05:34 PM
what a wonderful picture! Brings tears to my eyes - tanner looks fantastic! Thanks so much for posting that, SpeedyAlice. wonderful to see the darling boy doing so well.

Jan. 13, 2011, 04:59 PM
Wow, I haven't seen that picture in a long time. I forgot about nice and pretty Waterloo is. Tanner still looks almost exactly the same. A nice almost black in the winter and a bit bleached out/dark bay in the summer.

Gotta say though... he takes really nice pictures but he's not a huge fan of standing still for long periods of time (unless it includes eating). :)

Jan. 13, 2011, 05:26 PM
What a great story! So glad it all worked out for you.

Speedy Alice
Jan. 16, 2011, 10:14 PM
eventer_mi, my pleasure - I'm so glad I was able to find the picture!

Annelies, if I remember neither Blanca nor Tanner were thrilled about posing for that picture (look at how they're standing... gah)! I just remember that ring being so sloppy, it was a huge class, took a long time, and I think the boys had just about had it... it was one of those "take it QUICK!" shots. :)

Jan. 17, 2011, 12:33 PM
And this thread is a good example of why I love COTH :)

Jan. 17, 2011, 01:46 PM
Great story and a great picture. They both made me smile. Thanks for posting.