PDA

View Full Version : Farm dog not eating - Update: Surgery Done! (last post)

2DogsFarm
Jan. 6, 2011, 10:17 AM
I'm posting this for a friend.
Her min-pin (one of 3 farm dogs) is 10yo and recently has stopped eating.
Up til now he has been a chowhound, even a touch overweight.

He will not touch kibbles and canned food must be mushy for him to even try. She has switched brands, tried adding people food (chicken, ground beef).
He'll eat some, then hack, cough and stop eating.
Teeth checked okay.
She has bloodwork results due shortly and her vet is thinking thyroid or a malignancy.

Anyone here have a small dog with similar symptoms?
Drs' G (Grataan & Ghazzu) any thoughts?

EquineImagined
Jan. 6, 2011, 01:40 PM
Have there been any big changes in the routine/life of the dog?

I hate when mooch pooches go off their kibble. My 10yo+ beagle/chihuahua mix rescue pup went off hers for a few days, some vomiting, mostly just wanted to lay around and sleep. I went into panic mode and took her in ($300 to find out she has a heart murmur, nothing wrong with her GI, perfectly normal BW and a tooth that was bothering her). Brought her home and naturally she perked up and resumed begging food from every person she could get close to.

Is there any chance of a blockage anywhere? We had a few cases at a clinic I worked at where dogs were brought in for loss of appetite, 'choking' and 'regurgitating' anything they could be tempted with and it was an obstruction of one sort or other.

Whatever it is for your friend's doggy I hope they find the cause and it can be resolved quickly. Hugs to the min-pin! Let us know how the bw comes back.

2DogsFarm
Jan. 6, 2011, 02:17 PM
Thanks EI
The only Major Change was the loss of the Boss Dog - an older female Aussie mix who pretty much ran the show. She died recently - from age - and friend told me the surviving 3 seemed not to notice her absence except in a positive way.

The other 2 dogs are hound mixes, the min-pin is the only small dog & has always held his own.

Blockage of some kind seems likely to me but hopefully lab results will not find a malignant cause.

I feel your pain - my 10yo housecat stopped eating Xmas Eve and $$$$$$ later she is down 2 teeth & feeling much better.
My wallet, not so much :(

Phaxxton
Jan. 6, 2011, 03:02 PM
Can a blockage be detected by bloodwork? Has the dog had any radiographs done to see if there is a foreign object obstruction?

Jingles for your friend's dog. I hope they figure it out soon!

2DogsFarm
Jan. 6, 2011, 03:39 PM
Can a blockage be detected by bloodwork? Has the dog had any radiographs done to see if there is a foreign object obstruction?

Jingles for your friend's dog. I hope they figure it out soon!

I think the bloodwork was to R/O thyroid.
I don't know if xrays were taken, I'll ask.
I'll also ask friend if vet checked for foreign object - seems to me that would have been the first thing looked for, but what do I know?

Phaxxton
Jan. 6, 2011, 04:16 PM
Oh, I would think so, too. I was just wondering if it had been ruled out.

Poor pup.

PRS
Jan. 6, 2011, 04:20 PM
I had a friend who had a dog suddenly go off his feed. They found a bone in his throat....poor pup had to have surgery to remove it and he was fine after a brief recovery period.

EquineImagined
Jan. 6, 2011, 09:23 PM
After working at a few veterinary clinics, I'm fairly comfortable saying an obstruction is usually high on the list of things to check for, but not all clinics are the same and if everything else is normal (no vomiting, pet is continuing to pass stool) sometimes they won't look at first.

We had a dog come in once, had been to a couple vets and no one could figure out why the dog wasn't eating. Durring the 'lets see how your teeth look' exam we noticed that the dog had extremely foul breath and started peeking closer. Teeth were beautiful, but we found a piece of a stick that had gotten wedged against the roof of its mouth and was digging into it. Removed the stick, send home with antibiotics and special soft food, voila! How that nasty stick got missed was beyond us but even the vets are only human. As scary as that is to admit.

Any update?

ADM7040
Jan. 6, 2011, 11:01 PM
My dog, Baloo, stopped eating in early November. At first it was every few days then the next week 2 days in a row so I took him to the vet. Blood work was mostly normal but x-rays showed what looked like an enlarged liver so they recommended an abdominal ultrasound at a specialty clinic. Cancer had eaten through his stomach and he was leaking stomach fluids into his abdomen. His kidneys were also affected. I brought him home for a few last days of love and spoiling and then held him as the vet helped him to leave this world. It was so quick from when he stopped eating...

I hope this Min Pin does not have cancer and has something more easily treatable. If no other cause is found, an ultrasound may be in order.

carolprudm
Jan. 7, 2011, 09:24 AM
My dog, Baloo, stopped eating in early November. At first it was every few days then the next week 2 days in a row so I took him to the vet. Blood work was mostly normal but x-rays showed what looked like an enlarged liver so they recommended an abdominal ultrasound at a specialty clinic. Cancer had eaten through his stomach and he was leaking stomach fluids into his abdomen. His kidneys were also affected. I brought him home for a few last days of love and spoiling and then held him as the vet helped him to leave this world. It was so quick from when he stopped eating...

I hope this Min Pin does not have cancer and has something more easily treatable. If no other cause is found, an ultrasound may be in order.
Sorry for your loss. I had a similar experience, took a mini LH dachshund in because she stopped eating. She had a tumor in her throat, euthed on the table

shea'smom
Jan. 7, 2011, 09:52 AM
I hope this is a better case, sorry for your losses. I have so many old dogs, kinda dreading this year.

2DogsFarm
Jan. 7, 2011, 10:19 AM
Lab results show this DX & tumor will be removed surgically next week.
His calcium levels are off the chart at 74 :eek:
Please keep jingling for this little guy.

Sorry to read of those who have lost their pets.

Phaxxton
Jan. 7, 2011, 10:28 AM
Jingles for the pup! Hope all goes well!

ADM7040
Jan. 7, 2011, 10:30 AM
I just said a little prayer for the Min Pin. I hope that the vets will be able to help him. Please pass well wishes on to his loved ones as well. If you have a chance, please let us know how he is doing, I am really hoping for a positive outcome for him. What is the Min Pin's name?

EquineImagined
Jan. 7, 2011, 11:49 AM
Jinglejinglejingle! I'm glad they at least found what was wrong and can try to help him. Best wishes for the min pin and warm thoughts to his people. Little Missydog and I will be part of his private cheering section to pull through surgery and recovery well.

2DogsFarm
Jan. 7, 2011, 11:50 AM
I just said a little prayer for the Min Pin. I hope that the vets will be able to help him. Please pass well wishes on to his loved ones as well. If you have a chance, please let us know how he is doing, I am really hoping for a positive outcome for him. What is the Min Pin's name?

Thanks - I'm sure my friend will be pleased her little guy has wellwishers.
His name is Sam - same as my 17h+ WB :D

2DogsFarm
Jan. 9, 2011, 02:47 PM
My friend wants to log on & thank everybody for the jingles.

In case she doesn't go through all the registering hooha, here is:
THANK YOU from Sam & his Mom!

Zu Zu
Jan. 9, 2011, 05:48 PM
Jingles for Sam and his Mom during this struggle ~

Thoughts and prayers and hugs and of course more Jingles ~

Jingle Jingle Jingle & AO ~ Always Optimistic ~

Ghazzu
Jan. 9, 2011, 05:57 PM
Just now saw this--parathyroid adenoma?
Best of luck to the little guy.

Somermist
Jan. 9, 2011, 06:04 PM
Jingles and prayers for Sam and his family.:)

shea'smom
Jan. 9, 2011, 09:07 PM
jingles for Sam.

Grataan
Jan. 9, 2011, 11:22 PM
Just saw this as well, poor guy. How were the rest of his bloods?

2DogsFarm
Jan. 10, 2011, 01:29 PM
Grataan: sorry, I don't have that info - if my friend told me it went right out of my head :no:

Sam is having his surgery tomorrow - so everyone please keep jingling & I'll post back with the outcome

Zu Zu
Jan. 10, 2011, 05:43 PM
Serious Jingles for Sam tomorrow ~

Jingle Jingle Jingle & AO ~ Always Optimistic ~

Somermist
Jan. 10, 2011, 05:56 PM
Jingles and prayers for Sam. Let us know how he does, best of luck.

Grataan
Jan. 10, 2011, 10:24 PM
Grataan: sorry, I don't have that info - if my friend told me it went right out of my head :no:

Sam is having his surgery tomorrow - so everyone please keep jingling & I'll post back with the outcome

Oh no worries, I was just curious (the odds for a positive outcome are better if the renal values are good)

Jingles are on their way!

2DogsFarm
Jan. 12, 2011, 11:18 AM
Sam came through his surgery with flying colors. :D
The only hitch was the parathyroid was not where surgeon thought so the incision is a bit longer than normal.

As of yesterday he was drinking, peeing normally and otherwise recuperating from the ordeal.
No problem taking the calcium & Vit D supplements prescribed.
Today she will try feeding him some & see how that goes.

The next 6 days are critical.
If he crashes he will need IV & friend's vet is out of town & the surgeon is too far away.

So please keep the COTH Jingles coming!

Zu Zu
Jan. 12, 2011, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the good "came through the surgery" news ~ :yes:

Super Jingles = 6 days worth :yes: started up for Sam ~

Jingle Jingle Jijngle & AO ~ Always Optimistic ~ :D:yes:

Come on Sam ~~~ :D

ADM7040
Jan. 12, 2011, 12:03 PM
I logged on specifically looking for an update on Sam. Glad to hear that his surgery went well and I hope that he continues to do well. Let your friend know that there are others out there hoping for a great outcome for little Sam.

Hopefully she will reward us with a photo of the little guy, hint, hint!